GreaseSpot Cafe

"The Way" Lawsuits

washn'wear

It seems to me that if the way sicks its dog lawyers on every Christian group that considers or already has used the name "The Way," the will eventually run into the judge that says you cannot copyright this to this extent.

It seems that "the way" part of a name is extremely universal and to "own" that is like trying to own "left" or "right"

Any thoughts?

I also think these other groups will out-number and out-finance the way people eventually.

Edited by washn'wear

If you do a 'GOOGLE' search of 'THE WAY' you come up with quite a few different items found.

To me 'TWI' seems to go after groups that they think they can 'bully' or have a fair chance of winning a lawsuit over.

True the term 'The Way' comes out of the verse 'I am the WAY....ect.' but boy, I wonder how the TWIt's can think that they have 'Bragging' rights and Copyrights on something that was said about 2000 years ago by Jesus? If anyone had ownership of the 'The Way' name it's Jesus.

First come 1st served in my book. They should be paying Jesus royalties if it's possible to do it.

It seems to me that if the way sicks its dog lawyers on every Christian group that considers or already has used the name "The Way," the will eventually run into the judge that says you cannot copyright this to this extent.

It seems that "the way" part of a name is extremely universal and to "own" that is like trying to own "left" or "right"

Any thoughts?

I also think these other groups will out-number and out-finance the way people eventually.

I think it's a shame that they're urinating away ABS like this, but since they have a horrible class and aren't out to win people, what else do they have to do?

Keeps 'em off the streets and in the court rooms, ya know.

Edited by ChasUFarley

...and really...what does that say about them? They are so excited about the spirit of God within them, so full of love and compassion, so eager to heal the broken hearted...that they seek out people that they can sue in court. Instead of being defensive over their corporate name, why don't apply Christian principles and seek to carry out the work of a Christian ministry?

There's nothing worse than mean spirited religious people.

Maybe we should all write a book called "The Way" something, like The Way twi ripped me off.

I'm down. I'd spend the copious number of hours it would take going through my notes and reconstructing the 20 years I was in, plus what I went through the past year recovering, and I'd call all my friends and interview them, too.

call it "the way: living in hell"

Is that a yes or a no?

I myself have seen evidence of threatened lawsuits, but I am interested to know of any that have been carried out.

Do you not know of the Allens, founders of the now shut down website "Waydale"?

They won a big one.

oh, I thought LU was referring to twi lawsuits protecting "their" name.

Oh... I suppose. You might be right.

If that's the topic of this thread, my comment would be that many times just a letter from an attorney to bully the target "name user" can get the job done.

especially if the target is a small congregation that actually uses its money to help people instead of retain expensive lawyers to protect the corporate interests.

If I recall correctly the term "way" or "the way" is biblical and cannot be copyrighted as it's biblical and therefore public domain.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see where TWI has a leg to stand on here: legally or morally!

Edited by JeffSjo

exactly, jeffsjo... but, defending in court the right to use a non-trademarkable or -copyrightable name would destroy a small church, whereas twi has years of invested ABS to use to intimidate smaller organizations. that's why it's easier to back down when the bullies come after you when it comes to a public domain name like "the way". it's unfortunate, too, because it just makes the bully worse.

I should run a test. I'll start a church called "the way of potato, international" and see how long it takes to get a letter from their lawyers. I just need a couple of people from various countries to join my church.

no, better yet... a non-profit called "the way incorporated" the sole purpose of which is to raise funds to help small churches defend their right to use the public domain name "the way".

The Way of Potato International would be a better restaurant name than a church name. :)

BULLIES, I can't stand them

Sometimes they're bigger than us too.

They won't be bigger than the Lord Jesus Christ when they'll finally have to account for the bullying though.

One more thing sweetpotato, I've often wondered how a "non-profit organization" could be set up solely to raise funds. :)

Edited by JeffSjo

Ironic.

A 'ministry' that started with a man, namely VPW who copied and used other men's work and passed it off as his own with little regard for assigning credit where it belonged and then starts suing people who are using the name The Way and have in the past used the name, The Way (remember Pat Roberge?) the term that is coined in Act 9:2 and Acts 24:14 because this ministry of TWI feels that it belongs solely to them? They feel it is their baby so to speak, that others have stepped on their copy right? That they are not getting the credit? How many have supported VPW's right to steal, lift and negligently borrow other's work as a right thing to do because it all belongs to God anyway, although any one who has to 'creatively borrow' other's work shows how lacking someone is in their own spiritual relationship and ethics with God Almighty now cries foul when someone else uses a label from the bible that seems to infringe on their own label for their group? Isn't it all of God anyway, the name "The Way?"

None of those men whose work were stolen sued. Yet this supposed Christian ministry sues for a name they did not create or can claim originality to. How Christian.

P.S. Personally I wished the men defrauded of their research they way they were by VP did sue. Just think of how much of the monster that TWI was and became would have been contained if not stopped if VP could not lie about receiving revelation from God to teach the word like it had NEVER been known since the first century church. What a ripple effect it could have caused from that claim to all the way to "Daddy's Cookie Jar, Green Light revy" etc.

Edited by Really Mandii

In honor of Mr. Ham, I declare The Way of the Squirrel International :biglaugh::rolleyes::eusa_clap:

HAHA! Mr. Ham and I keep getting lumped together.

tell you what Hammy, I'll steal your class materials... I mean recipes from you and you can from me, and I won't sue you for ripping off my ministry... I mean restaurant name, ok?

:evildenk:

I'll name the class "the whey of more abundant nuts and powder (sugar)".

Imagine the benefits.

Overcome the worries that you'll forget where you buried all of those nuts.

confidently take the last pecan from Ex-70's Houston's pecan tree without fear of retribution..

and more.

For once in your life, you can stand tall, and with a squeaky voice, proclaim "I'm NUTS, and I can cook too"..

:biglaugh:

here's a recipe to start us off:

BRUNSWICK STEW

2 cleaned squirrels

1 tbsp. salt

1 gal. water

1 chopped onion

1 pt. lima beans

6 ears of corn

1/2 lb. salt pork

Peeled potatoes

1 tsp. pepper

2 tsp. sugar

1 qt. sliced tomatoes

Cut squirrels into pieces. Add salt to water and set to boil. Then add onion, lima beans, corn, salt pork, potatoes, pepper and squirrel pieces. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Then add sugar and tomatoes. Simmer 1 hour longer.

I'm trying to figure out my class syllabus right now... oh, I mean, God's working in me with some hevy-revy.

so far:

cooking and sex for the christian couple.

session 1: cooking... is it really ok with God?

session 2: how to use root vegetables.

session 3: thou shalt not consort with squirrels.

session 4: what to keep in your cookie jar (be prepared for every situation).

... sorry for continuing the derailment.