GreaseSpot Cafe

Ruh Roh Raggy!!

Nottawayfer

Someone's using their precious name again in their website. I wonder how long it will be before they send them a letter from their attorney telling them to remove the name they stole from the Bible??? I bet they wouldn't even know about it for a long time unless someone brought it to their attention.

Howdy Mr. Linder!! Happy Veteran's Day!! How was the fried chicken and mashed potatoes??

The Way

Aren't Jesuits part of the Roman Catholic Church?

would seem a rather large "adversary" for der vey's legal team to take on..

and considering they are doing "business" in Britain.. seems if da waymeisters lost, they'd end up paying ALL legal fees, for both parties.. air fare, exotic meals, miscellaneous expenses..

Howdy Mr. Linder!! Happy Veteran's Day!! How was the fried chicken and mashed potatoes??

naw.. that's millet and hot dogs..

budget cuts ya know..

I'd love to see them try and take on the Jesuits. They have two weapons, surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... their weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... their three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... okay four...no... Amongst their weapons.... are such elements as fear, surprise....never mind :biglaugh:

Oak, you have been watching Monty Python again, haven't you? :biglaugh:

I'd love to see them try and take on the Jesuits. They have two weapons, surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... their weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... their three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... okay four...no... Amongst their weapons.... are such elements as fear, surprise....never mind biglaugh.gif

Thanks for the coffee spew...

I happened to stumble upon this site a couple of times as I was researching TWI.

Yeah, the Jesuits are an order of the Roman Catholic Church. I really can't see TWI taking on the Society of Jesus (their official name). The Catholic religious order is far too large and TWI would probably be in the spotlight of the media if they did try to sue on charges of a copyright violation, and media attention is probably something they don't want.

Edited by Brushstroke

I looked at the archives to find back issues of their magazine.

The archive shows they published their magazine at least as long ago as 1961.

Who'll be suing whom?

I hate to burst your bubble for your *cough* legal argument but The Way was , just for the record producing magazines as early as the 50s. Then again you don't have to believe me there is a picture of one in Mrs. Wierwille's book on page 120.

But then what do I know after all I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

I hate to burst your bubble for your *cough* legal argument but The Way was , just for the record producing magazines as early as the 50s. Then again you don't have to believe me there is a picture of one in Mrs. Wierwille's book on page 120.

But then what do I know after all I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

The issue here is not a matter of which magazine predates the other. (Though it should be noted that I included the phrase "at least" in my post when referencing the year 1961.)

What is at the heart of the discussion is who, if anyone, has a right to claim exclusivity to the name.

Just for shirts and girdles, here is yet another group with a publication called "The Way Magazine".

http://www.thewaymagazine.com/

The issue here is not a matter of which magazine predates the other. (Though it should be noted that I included the phrase "at least" in my post when referencing the year 1961.)

What is at the heart of the discussion is who, if anyone, has a right to claim exclusivity to the name.

Just for shirts and girdles, here is yet another group with a publication called "The Way Magazine".

http://www.thewaymagazine.com/

I agree but your argument was who is suing who and the information you based that on in your post was a magazine date. I don't think anyone has a right to claim exclusivity to the name. But the courts may see it differently.

I'm not a trademark attorney, but I think there are certain phrases that are more easily copyrightable and defendable than others. "The Way International" is probably more defendable. "The Way" in and of itself is a phrase spoken by Jesus and recorded in scriptures.

One of the problems with trying to copyright that or sue for infringement is that a largely defendable position is that Jesus owns the copyright and TWI just tried to camp on it later by filing US trademark documents.

Which in reality is actually what happened.

Aren't Jesuits part of the Roman Catholic Church?

would seem a rather large "adversary" for der vey's legal team to take on..

and considering they are doing "business" in Britain.. seems if da waymeisters lost, they'd end up paying ALL legal fees, for both parties.. air fare, exotic meals, miscellaneous expenses..

Yeah I wouldn't mess with those Jesuits, they should read Dune before making any moves against them.

Yeah I wouldn't mess with those Jesuits, they should read Dune before making any moves against them.

That's funny Seth! :biglaugh:

I wish somebody would kick those Wayfers asz. Maybe Paw could change the name of this site just to bug 'em - "GreaseWay" or something. :spy:

I'd love to see them try and take on the Jesuits. They have two weapons, surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... their weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... their three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... okay four...no... Amongst their weapons.... are such elements as fear, surprise....never mind :biglaugh:

I didn't expect that!

:biglaugh:

That's funny Seth! :biglaugh:

I wish somebody would kick those Wayfers asz. Maybe Paw could change the name of this site just to bug 'em - "GreaseWay" or something. :spy:

I always thought it would be funny to have a diet center, and call it The Weigh International.

I always thought it would be funny to have a diet center, and call it The Weigh International.

:biglaugh: Funny, Mark!

That there are a load of magazines called "The Way" shows non-exclusivity and therefore no infringement. Specially since there is no element of confusion. The Way (Jesuits) is in the UK where TWI is not (or not sufficiently). The Way (Canadian mag) is in Canada, again where TWI is not (or not sufficiently). The Way (Jesuits) are not known enough in the USA and not "published" there. SO nocause of action.

In any event, TWI only fights through the court people littler than them.

Thought it was interesting that The Way (Jesuits) give a potted history until 1986. A date which is clearly significant to more than one Way organization.