GreaseSpot Cafe

What are we Doing Here?

papertrained

I was bored tonight and just came back here after several years of absence.

People here seem to be talking about the same things as we were back then. At the risk of seeming judgmental, I need to ask: Are there still that many people trying to overcome Way years? Or is there still a steady stream of people who are leaving The Way and are looking for answers to what happened?

• Upvote 2

People are not all cookie cut outs from the same dough, you know? Your experiences and what worked for you are yours but not necessarily someone else's.

Obviously you have no need for a site like this, or the interest. Why begrudge and judge those that do?

Likeminded-ness never really made people all the same inside. Some felt and experienced things perhaps quite differrently than you did.

• Upvote 1

People here seem to be talking about the same things as we were back then. At the risk of seeming judgmental, I need to ask: Are there still that many people trying to overcome Way years? Or is there still a steady stream of people who are leaving The Way and are looking for answers to what happened?

Have you developed a few *new* skills from the last time you've been here?

we come back to the same *problems*, with a new set of skills..

and the experience looks entirely different than it did, ten, fifteen, twenty.. forty years ago..

maybe you never "grew up"..

• Upvote 1

I'm embarrassed at how you were (not) welcomed back! We don't have to slobber over one another, but surely we could treat each other a little better than that!

Well papertrained, there are many reasons why many of us are still here . We keep getting newcomers looking for information. Sometimes, even if we're tired of it, we have to answer some of the same questions. Some of us are still here as a warning. Now that lots of people are familiar with the Internet, we want to keep these pages here and vital, so that if somebody hears about "The Way Inc" and wants to do some investigation, they'll find the truth. Sometimes some come just to discuss certain issues with other "friends".

I hope that makes some sense to you. Maybe you'll stick around for a day or so and discover that this isn't really the same as it was two or three years ago. It's not totally different, but different enough.

• Upvote 3

People here seem to be talking about the same things as we were back then.

Some of the subjects are the same. Some of the subjects are not.

At the risk of seeming judgmental, I need to ask: Are there still that many people trying to overcome Way years? Or is there still a steady stream of people who are leaving The Way and are looking for answers to what happened?

We do still get people, from time to time, who are either leaving now, or who left

before and are now trying to put the pieces together.

We also, however, are quite poopular with current twi'ers coming here and reading and learning

what twi won't tell them- and not logging in, they're guests.

(Similarly, CES/STFI people do that, especially when there's current events for their group.)

The GSC is a clearinghouse of information. twi refuses to inform and discuss with their

members, so they come here as the only current alternative that actually INFORMS.

We also get new arrivals who have not yet been members, but who have been approached

by twi'ers, and want information. They come here for similar reasons.

So, current twi'ers come here, and sometimes they leave twi. Ex-twi come here and

find it easier to move on with their lives once they understand things.

And twi finds it even harder to recruit new people who can come here and learn all

about them so easily, which means the group's numbers continue to shrink from year

to year.

Any ONE of those reasons is enough to come back here, IMHO.

Edited by WordWolf
  • Upvote 2

I'm embarrassed at how you were (not) welcomed back! We don't have to slobber over one another, but surely we could treat each other a little better than that!

Sorry to be a source of embarrassment for you...but I've been done with being nice to the drive-by judgmental posters for a while now.
  • Upvote 3

I can't speak for everyone else, but this is such a timely question for me--I have been wondering the same thing about myself.

I got out in 1981, almost 30 years ago. I had a rough recovery period, lots of therapy, and have done very very well for myself since them.

A couple of years ago, I found this site and spent a little time reviewing the various documents, and other pieces of information. So much happened in twi after I left and I found it fascinating. I got really turned off to this site at that time (no offense to anyone here) because I happened on a thread with a lot of bickering and debating about what the "Word" said about some topic. It kind of gave me the chills, because it had the same tenor as The Way when it challenged and debated the "Word" by citing scripture, etc. It felt to me like at least those particular posters had not gotten "out" completely as they had the same cult personality they developed in twi. Again, no offense intended at all, it was just my reaction.

I am now back after a couple of years, with a new fascination as to why I joined twi, and I am asking myself What am I Doing Here?? The same question as the original post. I can't get my head around it, I just know that I want to read and read and read, not at all about spiritual matters, but about twi itself and how I got sucked in to begin with, I guess. I am still trying to understand how it happened?

I am not sure what this is about, but I can tell you that I have worked hard in my recovery over many years, and perhaps this is the next step--previously I focused on learning about reality, decision making, self esteem, confidence, repairing my career and finding a whole new life. I spent several of those years not thinking twice about twi and simply living my life. Now, perhaps, after accomplishing these things, I am ready to come face to face with your question, at long last.

I found K.S.'s Losing the Way to be compelling and very helpful. Thank you for that, K.S.

My 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

Every time this subject comes up, I'm confused.

This is American, is it not? Can't we frequent any website we wish?

Who cares why someone is still here, who cares what websites anyone hangs at? Do you care what news sites I visit every day, or parenting blogs or what I write, read?

When I have to answer to anyone as to my reasons for being anywhere.........well, I'm not doing it.

It's no one's business but mine, period.

• Upvote 2

It's all about choice.

No one drags anyone here.

No one cares whether you come or don't come.

Pretty much everyone here can relate to the experience.

The doctrinal discussions have all but stopped (thankfully).

I'm just kind of curious as to why you care what any of us are doing?

• Upvote 2

Agree with the above, except that I don't mind 'splainin' myself, since that is what I like about Forums at any site. People discussing whatever post they want to discuss.

If the originator of this post really wants to know the answer to his or her question, sounds like the answer is complicated, like each person here is complicated and like Life is complicated. If the originator of this post wants a quick and easy answer, then maybe he or she is not fully "out" of the cult mindset, yes?

If the originator of this post is just trolling and attacking, then hell with him/her.....

• Upvote 2

Tzaia, you don't have to visit Doctrinal if you don't want to.

It's not my hang-out much, either, but sometimes there are interesting things, and sometimes it just helps demolish a bit of Way "theology" by providing a bigger picture. I like that there are differing viewpoints on what might be seen as Doctrinal differences and it can help to (re)develop those critical thinking skills that were so crushed by TWI. We are free to explore here, and though there are some posters whose points of view I find very difficult to see, it's always good to explore other people's ideas.

• Upvote 3

Tzaia, you don't have to visit Doctrinal if you don't want to.

It's not my hang-out much, either, but sometimes there are interesting things, and sometimes it just helps demolish a bit of Way "theology" by providing a bigger picture. I like that there are differing viewpoints on what might be seen as Doctrinal differences and it can help to (re)develop those critical thinking skills that were so crushed by TWI. We are free to explore here, and though there are some posters whose points of view I find very difficult to see, it's always good to explore other people's ideas.

I don't. I used to. Used to love it. Love it. Now I don't, so I won't go there. The freedom to speak is why I come back. Even if I do utter an "I told you so" every once in a while <g>.

The last "demon," dispensationalism was demolished about a year ago.

• Upvote 2

was that really the last "demon"?

what if you found out EVERYTHING you believed was for lack of better words, "wrong"..

I had something like that happen..

in a fraction of a second..

:)

and it didn't really hurt or anything.. maybe it was beyond that..

well, I wanted a few answers. I asked for it..

Every time this subject comes up, I'm confused.

This is American, is it not? Can't we frequent any website we wish?

Who cares why someone is still here, who cares what websites anyone hangs at? Do you care what news sites I visit every day, or parenting blogs or what I write, read?

When I have to answer to anyone as to my reasons for being anywhere.........well, I'm not doing it.

It's no one's business but mine, period.

:biglaugh::eusa_clap:

No Sh!t!

I go for walks in the same places, my furniture is pretty much still in the same place too...Is that OK with everyone or do I need someones permission? WTF?

What is it that drives people to want explanations?

Maybe I like it here---

Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by mstar1
  • Upvote 2

Maybe the question is (or should be) what are YOU doing here? seems most other people have half a clue why they are here..

just a thought..

I suspect the original poster of this thread, in his/her boredom, felt they had a legit question for us.

There have been relationship forged and built here.

Friendships that are still strong after many years.

Births celebrated, deaths grieved, marriages, divorces, school, books published, stories finally told, freedoms attained, homes purchased, moves prayed for, lives gained and lost in more ways than what shows on the surface, we cry together, we laugh together, we pray for each other.

Life happens here.

• Upvote 1

was that really the last "demon"?

what if you found out EVERYTHING you believed was for lack of better words, "wrong"..

I had something like that happen..

in a fraction of a second..

:)

and it didn't really hurt or anything.. maybe it was beyond that..

well, I wanted a few answers. I asked for it..

I had pretty much dispensed with most everything TWI taught, except dispensations. That was before I started revisiting the entire thing - not TWI's take - religion in general Christianity in particular. I don't know where it'll end up, but it won't look similar to what I did believe.

I come here because there's classy people with whom I have a shared experience....a profoundly life changing experience that we can all relate to.

Yeah, I'm long since done with TWI and TWIthink and so are a lot of others here. It's kind of like old Army buddies who shared the experience of some sort and later moved into the same neighborhood and grew up and then old together.

It's our neighborhood and we enjoy it.

Now comes the burning question of everyones mind...are YOU really papertrained or do you miss now and then.

Did you finally graduate to fire hydrants?

I try to make it a point to drop in because I care and don't want people that don't know about TWI(buisness

of f.....ing people over for MONEY)and spitting them out on the side of the road like trash if they don't line

up with all there crap!

Lots of people have Post Tramatic Stress Disorrder when they leave a Cult,it is good to speak your mind.