GreaseSpot Cafe

Spectator Christianity

The Nov/Dec Sower has an "enlightening" article on the royal priesthood and how "modern" Christianity produces "weak Christians" who "are rarely equipped to walk out on what the Bible says Christians are to do."

Where have I read that sort of thing before? Oh, perhaps every year in a TWI and then STF rag. Written by people who haven't stepped into a church in years, and couldn't plan and execute a large group get-together (church) on a weekly basis and do it well if their lives depended on it.

Large group (corporate) worship is not a bunch of people spectator-ing. It is people being led in worship by other people, preferably by people who do those things very well.

STF, IMO, does corporate worship poorly in pretty much every aspect, so it tells its followers that corporate worship is not needed for "true believers".

Suggestion: Find yourself a good church (they are out there) and participate in corporate worship. I think you will find out there is a place for it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how "modern" Christianity produces "weak Christians" who "are rarely equipped to walk out on what the Bible says Christians are to do."

Thats quite a grand and assumption. Arrogant too.

My job brings me to churches all over the country and I am amazed every trip at the things that 'normal people' in the church do. Many, many people flourish in a church setting.

Although I have to admit that Ive yet to hear anyone in the churches that I go to whine as loud or as long as John Lynn can and does,(thats gotta be a superspecial gift of whining to go on that long) or hear anyone talk or base their lives on dreams of nose spiders(is that the Gift of Incredible UltraStupidity that they manifest?)

The Nov/Dec Sower has an "enlightening" article on the royal priesthood and how "modern" Christianity produces "weak Christians" who "are rarely equipped to walk out on what the Bible says Christians are to do."

interesting, its always someone elses fault..

Probably echoes the speeches of the big meeting.. "wah wah wah.. who ELSE teaches da werd..."

"... to walk out on what the Bible says Christians are to do..."

...as opposed to walking all over the Bible, which is what TWI and splinters do?

Yep, let's elevate ourselves with hypothetical negative comparisons. This is a page out of TWI's play book. Oh, what else stinks about this? Misapplied Old Testament culminating in the "walk out" directive. They should be careful because I hear a lot of people are "walking out" of STFI over the John Lynn debacle. :anim-smile: So the conclusion that we are led to is that STFI is doing these things well. Good grief! How arrogant! Well, here's my response.

1 John 2:26,27 (NIV version) I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

I've learned I don't need "spiritual heavyweights" to lead little ole' me along the way they think I should go. Until STFI publicly apologizes for it's errors I will NEVER have anything to do with them. Of course that is about as likely to happen as TWI repenting of their errors so I am not holding my breath.

Why in the heck do the so called men of God, who are so uber-qualified to lead us sequester themselves in the boondocks and pontificate about what we need to do? It's just creepy.

It's really standard operating behavior in groups trying to get a following. Why in the heck would one praise the competition? Having said that, I think STF-I is having to dig way deep to make itself into the image of a viable alternative to everything else out there.

Why can't they just "Let it Go" TWI is like beating a dead horse! :sleep1:

My guess is they have failed to recognize their error. That takes humility. Also, I believe they are endeavoring to preserve their livelihoods and way of life.

Okay, you're talking about those who define true masculinity as smashing a beer can into their forehead, belching real loud and turning a deaf ear to their wives and anything having to do with an emotion, right?

I don't think that's what this thread is talking about so much as TWI and CES deriding church practices when in fact they have no idea what they are talking about. You're bringing up a good point, however. I would like to discuss this false masculine stuff further but that probably belongs in another thread.

I'm pretty sure STF-I means weak Christians in the same context we always heard in TWI - as in those who go to a "regular" church can't possibly have a clue what God and Jesus are all about, because they don't know what we know.

Weak Christians? :CUSSING: Judgmental buffoons! My Grandmother has been in church since her early twenties. She's 83 and going strong. That lady has more fortitude, honesty, charity, character, fervent prayers, love of fellow person, and plain old guts than those goof balls who are running STFI. Oh, she has a very strong relationship with our Lord. I actually get offended by people slamming the churches on the ideal that "we know more than they". STFI has no idea what they are talking about regarding weak Christians, they are pontificating at best.

This idea that knowledge is supreme is just nuts, and it's a hallmark of TWI that is DEEPLY ingrained in STFI. It reminds me of where Jesus quoted the Old Testament saying "I will have mercy and not sacrifice." It shows God's concern for mercy, grace, love, etc. over the works that people do. Yet TWI / STFI esteem the works greater than mercy. It's obvious in how they have handled recent situations that they are just as harsh as TWI ever was. Critical too. I could go on but I would only digress into their faults further. At least I can admit mine.

Yet TWI / STFI esteem the works greater than mercy

True enough---But ironically what works do they actually do?

Do they build schools, hospitals or homes like some denominations? Support the arts like churches have for centuries? Run homeless shelters? Feed the hungry? Take care of orphans?

Anything at all?

Anything?

Do they do anything at all beside sell their stuff and tell people that they need to buy their stuff?

Thats all I ever hear from them..

WTF kind of "work" is that???

Edited by mstar1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

True enough---But ironically what works do they actually do? ... Anything at all?

Do they do anything at all beside sell their stuff and tell people that they need to buy their stuff?

WTF kind of "work" is that???

mstar - they are very hard workers. They work so hard at "working the word" so that they can teach it.

...oh...you meant practical outworking...

I would like to give them a few leftover loaves from the bakery, and some fish or slices of ham or whathaveyou - see them feed 5000 households. Or 4000 households. (Twice is established! It must be possible!). Or they could even do a regular local soup run, with just the basic "unmultiplied" ingredients.

• 1 month later...

On the flip side. . . no Pastor, Reverend, Vicar, or Priest worth their paycheck. . . is not going to let these guys within a thousand yards of their flock.

Which explains why all they seem to have is a loose ex-way affiliation.

I would ask though.. what do they consider a "christian spectator" to be?

I think its obvious.. one is either mog, stands with, and support da mogs, or they belong to the spectator crowd, the off scouring of christianity, so to speak..

...With their track record, who are they to call ANYONE weak Christians?

These former waycorps grads who hoisted a flag in their own image, are nothing more than a continuation of cult think...weak Christians indeed.

They need to read I Cor 12 and understand when it talks about that which seems weak being more necessary. The intent of that is to prevent the arrogant egotistical attitude of pride prevalent when people judge others and compare themselves and conclude others to be inferior to themselves.

The arrogant elitism of TWI extends identically to the offshoots.

• 2 weeks later...

"weak Christians"... "spectator Christians" HAH!!!!!

Wednesday night I went to "Men's Fraternity" at a local church. The group has been going through a workbook on "Authentic Manhood." Wednesday night the instructor scrapped the workbook and launched into a spontaneous discourse on the exercise of faith it had been to raise his children when they were teen-agers. By the time he was finished, it was one of the most touching and moving expositions of God's love for me that I have ever heard.

Love,

Steve