GreaseSpot Cafe

Like-Minded versus Lockstep Legalism

skyrider

During my twi tenure (1974-1998).....being "like-minded" on the simple tenets of Christianity seemed to evolve into monk-style legalism. The days of "D0nnie Fug1t and his guitar" blissfully reaching hundreds upon hundreds with a message of God's love and forgiveness somehow, later, morphed into beady-eyed zealots wanting everyone to uphold twi-traditions and Burn the Chaff events honoring Uncle Harry with fervor.

By ratcheting up rhetoric......"like-minded" became LEGALIST-minded.

One of my biggest criticisms of the way corps training indoctrination was that the CLONING aspect trumphed any individuality, any originality. I adamantly disagreed that "christ-in-you" was some type of assembly-line production of all things wierwille. Just because wierwille liked German short-hair dogs, did that mean that those were the best dogs to own? And yet, how many brown-nosers mimiced vp?....along with cgeer, I know four others did.

At one time, twi inspired bull-fighting rodeo clowns, athletes, orchestra musicians, writers, cartoonists, inventors, physicians, medical personnel (healing arts), military leadership, architects, tradesmen, etc. etc. For a couple of years, a tent at rock of ages was erected for the sale and distribution of believers' artwork, music tapes, books, subscriptions, goods, etc. On the threshold of INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM and CREATIVITY (gosh, can I saw that?...haha), twi squashed it like a bug!!!

At least, back in THOSE YEARS.......there was an ebb and flow of enthusiasm and individuality!!

Twi never advanced past the pyramid system. All eyes had to be focused on wierwille. All classes had to be wierwille-sanctioned. All policies had to be sterilized by twi doctrine.

Like-minded really meant closed-minded or cult-minded. Twi has never gotten off its reservation since around 1982. All control measures are to keep the money flowing into twi's coffers. The legalism of the day trumphes all suits......hearts, clubs, and diamonds (in the rough).

Will twi ever find its way out of their religious legalism? I don't know. It's been almost thirty years and thousands of teachings haven't seemed to bring a ray of light to their darkened demise.

<_<

Edited by skyrider

GET OUT !!!!!! (if you're still in) and find a church where your God-given talents and abilities can be put to use and not buried in the ground, returning a profit to no-one.

Hi Skyrider and interesting consideration IMO. :)

For me beginning to realize how twisted Way Ministry style like-mindedness was came as a result of a number of situations that came upon me as a member of River Road Fellowship.

Now even though I recognize that a group of folks can be like-minded on certain things the whole concept is automatically one that sets off a lot of "danger" feelings for me.

I feel that I cannot deny that in the early years of The Way International many people experienced a wave of excitement, healing, and love in The Way it's demise was inevitable. Since in either a biblical sense or even just a moralistic sense at the very top levels of leadership what was stubbornly entrenched in The Way was abuse, delusion, and lies. Either of these alone might constitute organizational poison for any group IMO, but when added up together as it applied to top level Way leadership it is a potent cocktail of poisons. To draw an analogy, I think the most toxic organic poisons found in nature are a mix of several different poisons and targets for the creature's toxins within it's victim.

As to whatever verbage we may choose to use the toxic effects of the Way's dark and hidden organizational behaviors the lessening of whatever goodness individuals like Fug!t or maybe others brought to the table was inevitable.

"Legalism" doesn't exactly jive for me since within The Way "legalism" became an insult hurled into the faces of those that were justly calling certain Way behaviors what they really were. In order for me to use legalism as my word of choice I feel I must need to redefine the word as it was used in my Wayfer days to gloss over even my very own faults, saying things like,"That really wasn't too bad, don't be so legalistic!"

But verbage aside, I think I understand what you are talking about.

Edited by JeffSjo

How 'bout Zombies?? Is that a better fit? Between "Bless Patrol", laundry, and just plain old lookin-for-fun, we were too tired to use our brains. IMHO.

Anyway, like-mindedness should have centered on what the Lord did while he was here on earth; i.e., healing, feeding, teaching, loving. After all, he is the head.

GET OUT !!!!!! (if you're still in) and find a church where your God-given talents and abilities can be put to use and not buried in the ground, returning a profit to no-one.

Hi Twinky,

Normally I wouldn't speak for anyone, but because you are showing concern I am pointing out that Skyrider said that his Way International tenure lasted from 1974 to 1988.

But it in any sense seems like great advice to any current member. :)

Edited by JeffSjo

for what its worth...

on behalf of all that is "monk-style," i only ask that you look a bit more into the lives of monks and nuns and the history of monasticism before comparing it all to twi. monks and nuns can be likeminded without being legalistic.

in fact, most monks and nuns i have known and worked with over the years since twi not only defy the simple comparison, but may be the perfect kind of person to can help some ex-twi recover their christian roots or otherwise heal their view of God. the overwhelming majority of judeo-christian text and history contains monklike lives and experiences.

the original awesomeness of the fugit-like experiences may even have turned out more monklike had twi not come along.

just sayin

Anyway, like-mindedness should have centered on what the Lord did while he was here on earth; i.e., healing, feeding, teaching, loving. After all, he is the head.

So true........like-mindedness to FOLLOW IN HIS STEPS should be the Christian standard.

In twi, we followed the wierwille path, the wierwille ideology.....the cisterns of man.

Uugh.

Jeff, I realized Sky was out but my gut response to what he posted was just - GET OUT! to people still in. I see now my post was slightly misleading in that respect.

Way life did acknowledge the wisdom of "a multitude of counsellors" - but those counsellors were always people higher in the Way tree than the individual seeking counsel. And so some sort of linear counselling developed. It was never counselling among equals nor seeking counsel/views from those affected by a decision. Hence "leadership" and "counselling" were detached from the lives of those affected (most here can attest to that). That's how it became "lockstep."

Never mind that in "one body" all have a part to play. And the "head of the body" has a specific part to play. But then, the head of the body in TWI is not Jesus Christ, is it?

I agree with what Jeff said,and once you get out of TWI get it out of your head

don't keep living with that teaching in your head,Erase and Rewind! The Way is

more Legalistic than most religons. :sleep1:

Jeff, I realized Sky was out but my gut response to what he posted was just - GET OUT! to people still in. I see now my post was slightly misleading in that respect.

I got'cha now Twinky. I couldn't BEGIN to count the number of times I've said something that needed a little clarification for a particular reader.

During my twi tenure (1974-1998).....being "like-minded" on the simple tenets of Christianity seemed to evolve into monk-style legalism. The days of "D0nnie Fug1t and his guitar" blissfully reaching hundreds upon hundreds with a message of God's love and forgiveness somehow, later, morphed into beady-eyed zealots wanting everyone to uphold twi-traditions and Burn the Chaff events honoring Uncle Harry with fervor.

By ratcheting up rhetoric......"like-minded" became LEGALIST-minded.

One of my biggest criticisms of the way corps training indoctrination was that the CLONING aspect trumphed any individuality, any originality. I adamantly disagreed that "christ-in-you" was some type of assembly-line production of all things wierwille. Just because wierwille liked German short-hair dogs, did that mean that those were the best dogs to own? And yet, how many brown-nosers mimiced vp?....along with cgeer, I know four others did.

At one time, twi inspired bull-fighting rodeo clowns, athletes, orchestra musicians, writers, cartoonists, inventors, physicians, medical personnel (healing arts), military leadership, architects, tradesmen, etc. etc. For a couple of years, a tent at rock of ages was erected for the sale and distribution of believers' artwork, music tapes, books, subscriptions, goods, etc. On the threshold of INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM and CREATIVITY (gosh, can I saw that?...haha), twi squashed it like a bug!!!

At least, back in THOSE YEARS.......there was an ebb and flow of enthusiasm and individuality!!

Twi never advanced past the pyramid system. All eyes had to be focused on wierwille. All classes had to be wierwille-sanctioned. All policies had to be sterilized by twi doctrine.

Like-minded really meant closed-minded or cult-minded. Twi has never gotten off its reservation since around 1982. All control measures are to keep the money flowing into twi's coffers. The legalism of the day trumphes all suits......hearts, clubs, and diamonds (in the rough).

Will twi ever find its way out of their religious legalism? I don't know. It's been almost thirty years and thousands of teachings haven't seemed to bring a ray of light to their darkened demise.

<_<

Hi Skyrider. I got in the same year you did but left in '89. I think things were legalistic in TWI even in those early years. You say, and many agree, that in the early 70's there was "some ebb and flow of enthusiasm and individuality". I'm of a different opinion. Yes, I remember well the young folk with their guitars and their talk of the Love of God. Still, there was a tinge of what you call "lockstep legalism" even then. Wierwille was still the center and we were all correcting each other on every little thing that was said "off the Word", or negative, or worldly.

One problem that I haven't heard mentioned on any posts on GSC is that TWI and other cults gained prominence during the 70's because the mainstream church allowed itself to become irrelevant. Talk of real problems and issues people faced were not welcome in most churches. Everyone was supposed to have short hair (for men)wear an uncomfortable suit (also for men) and shut up. Segregation and racial discrimination were rampant. The church was just about invisible during the Civil Rights movement going on at the time and seemed to have no opinion concerning the Vietnam War and other issues facing the nation at the time.

Along came Wierwille and TWI who had meetings in the home! That doesn't mean a whole lot to some of the younger set around today, but in 1974 it was revolutionary. Meet in the home and not in a church, and I can have a cookie as well? Wow!

So VPW did all these things which really touched a nerve in all of us. However, he introduced his own brand of legalism. It went over smoothly because we were in the middle of rebelling against the status quo. The fact that most of our parents disagreed with our involvement in TWI msde it even more attractive to many of us.

I know many believe the mainstream church is still out of step and they make some valid points. I for one believe the church has corrected their problem mainly because many of the leaders today were once those long-haired "Jesus People" of the 70's. But that's just my opinion.

I think they had lockstep legalism even in the first century..

whats the difference..

you can read the pattern of the epistles.. paul slowly demanding allegiance and accountability..

I won't cite the references, unless someone insists..

Twi never advanced past the pyramid system. All eyes had to be focused on wierwille.

<_<

I remember those times. My "tenure" was from 1974 until 1986 and yes, the ROA had some pretty amazing displays of talent.

Remember that Way Tree made out of roofing nails? Perfectly done with exquisite detail. I wish I had a picture of that today.

Remember the "face of Jesus" (if I recollect correct) done by writing out the gospel of John, and shading the letters to make the picture?

Stained glass presentations on display that were awesome to look at (Mstar - - did you do any of those?) wink.gif

Back in 78-79 (my WOW years), there was a fella here in Duluth (fellow wow) who was a jeweler, and when he hit town with all the other wow's and myself that year he immediately landed a job with one of the more prestigious jewelry firms here in town because he was so good at what he did. He was able to buy "product" from them at cost (or less for "seconds" - - since he worked there), and he set out to make an oversized WOW pin for good ole docvic who was gonna "bless us", by showing up for a limb meeting here in Minney-soda.

Well - - he got the gold and other stuff to make that "pin" for docvic (it was about 5 inches wide by 3 inches tall), and when he got done it looked just like a WOW pin, except it was flatter than a pancake and didn't have the "sphere" to it that WOW pins have. So he drilled a small hole in one end of it, somehow fitted up an air pump to a hypodermic needle, and "blew" air into the front and the back of the pin (that he had welded together) to inflate it to where it looked like a real WOW pin.

WOWpin.jpg

Creativity like that has long since left the premises of the farm in Ohio. They "ain't interested" in promoting creativity. They don't give a rip about what you can think of/ can do/ or can produce if it isn't first legislated/ or pre-approved by the Org. Fu-ckrying-out-loud, last I heard you can't even TEACH A TEACHING at a meeting without previous approval from "them that are in the know". I guess that's old news, but to me it still rankles that the fugg-tards there at the ORG have to have their fingers in every piece of the pie. Well - - - IMO - - - them that "are in the know" don't know Jack Sch!tt and have their heads stuck so far up their hind ends, that they wouldn't recognize creativity if it slapped them up-side the head. There once was a time when all things new and wonderful were accepted and embraced.

Welcome to The Way International folks (as it is known today). Check your creativity at the door if you choose to enter.

Oh, and - - - assume "the position" just like the BOD has done. It isn't comfortable, but you'll get used to it after a while.

head_up_ass.gif

Along came Wierwille and TWI who had meetings in the home! That doesn't mean a whole lot to some of the younger set around today, but in 1974 it was revolutionary.

My grandparents had church in their home back in the 1920's and early 30's......so I've never viewed wierwille/twi as revolutionary in this area.

My grandparents and others would alternate home-church meetings and an itinerant preacher would visit once or twice a month. When the preacher was not in attendance, the home meetings consisted of Bible reading and prayer and singing......followed by a meal together.

Edited by skyrider

The Way was already stifling creativity and individuality in 1972, when I first sat through PFAL. I was essentially told, by local leadership, that I had to make a choice between pursuing my artistic endeavors and going forward with my "spiritual" growth. I made that choice. And, although I can't blame anyone besides myself for making it, I realize now that my decision was, at least partially, based on erroneous or misrepresented information supplied by The Way. The whole movement was mushrooming so fast, it took time for VPW & Co. to get control of the direction it was headed. And, I think, too, that VPW allowed a certain amount of it (independent creativity) to continue as an enticement. There was kind of an idea that you could "redirect" your creativity to more Godly ventures if you fully dedicated yourself to the movement. Thus, there were still renegade artists sprinkled throughout the "ministry" for a good while in the early years. I think VPW had a pretty firm grip on it all by 1975 or 1976.

Edited by waysider

The Way was already stifling creativity and individuality in 1972, when I first sat through PFAL. I was essentially told, by local leadership, that I had to make a choice between pursuing my artistic endeavors and going forward with my "spiritual" growth. I made that choice. And, although I can't blame anyone besides myself for making it, I realize now that my decision was, at least partially, based on erroneous or misrepresented information supplied by The Way. The whole movement was mushrooming so fast, it took time for VPW & Co. to get control of the direction it was headed. And, I think, too, that VPW allowed a certain amount of it (independent creativity) to continue as an enticement. There was kind of an idea that you could "redirect" your creativity to more Godly ventures if you fully dedicated yourself to the movement. Thus, there were still renegade artists sprinkled throughout the "ministry" for a good while in the early years. I think VPW had a pretty firm grip on it all by 1975 or 1976.

This reminds me of what happened during my in-rez years ('71-'73), when three women in my Corps during our second year were allowed to spend their 4-hour daily work assignment painting and drawing, using rooms in the Way Cultural Center in New Breman, which was an old church. There also was a recording studio there for the musicians around at that time.

The art produced by my Corps sisters was not Bible-oriented, as I recall, but portraits, still life paintings of fruit, etc. Although these weren't used in "moving the Word" I remember VP commenting how the spirit of Christ in these artists is what produced the art and because the art was produced by believers standing on The Word (his interpretation of the Bible, mostly plagarised etc.) it was a witness to the glory of God and the "greatness of His Word" (the vague phrase used as hype for VP's classes).

Looking back, I feel VP used people and their art to glorify his organization, taking credit for the quality of their art, as if these people weren't talented before they took PFAL!

Maybe it's just me........but there seemed to be a resurgence of "creativity" when that whole push for Word in Culture moved thru twi around 1978-1980.

Music.....wasn't there a statewide "band-runoff" to find the best twi talent in each state?

Art.......paintings, drawings, calligraghy art, murals, sculpting work, fountain

Writing.....7th corps guy wrote a novel, 7th corps cartoonist had "Mad" magazine

Inventions....there was an inventions workshop at WIB, and vpw had guys working on all-terrain vehicle.

Fine Arts.....the Fine Arts and Historical Center --- museum / weddings / reunions

Talent........broadway dancers, orchestra, professional athletes, etc.

Building Trades......architects, engineers, craftsmen, woodworking shop in NK

Medical Field........medical WOWs, workshop at WIB, psychiatrist work,

Etc. Etc.

Looking back, I feel VP used people and their art to glorify his organization, taking credit for the quality of their art, as if these people weren't talented before they took PFAL!

Yes, and he allowed people to think that he had some kind of spiritual insight that enabled him to discern which works were "on" and which were "off". He was a master at manipulating people and situations. He surrounded himself with people who had real talent so that onlookers would associate him with their creativity. Like a form of name dropping.

Edited by waysider

Here's a bit on the topic of using arts for TWI outreach:

Way Mag July/Aug 81, Pg. 21

God's Word Moves Out Through the Arts by Elena Whiteside

"The goal of the Word in Fine Arts is to preserve and retain the knowledge of the Mystery by ingraining it in the arts – the arts having the greatest potential of outreach of all human activities-thus contributing to the move of God's Word over the world."

Edited by penworks

Yes, and he allowed people to think that he had some kind of spiritual insight that enabled him to discern which works were "on" and which were "off". He was a master at manipulating people and situations. He surrounded himself with people who had real talent so that onlookers would associate him with their creativity. Like a form of name dropping.

It was pretty successful for him as a strategy.

Locally, we saw healthy Christians, and were tricked into the fallacy that

guaranteed healthy Christians higher up the way international's "tree."

Healthy Christians were used to advertise all twi's programs- as if their

health was due to those programs they'd taken. (In many cases, their health

was IN SPITE OF those programs.) Certainly we would have had trouble swallowing

the idea that the inner circle was unhealthy in any manner.