GreaseSpot Cafe

Well, Doctor said.......

waysider

I heard others typically call him "Doctor" as if that was his name, with no reference

as to which "Doctor", as if there's only one. It's like saying "Elvis" and expecting

everyone else to know you meant "Presley" and not, say, "Costello".

Alllllliiissooonnnnnnnn ...

I know ... this world .... is killin' ..... you .....

My aim ... is ... true......

No disrespect to the king but that was the first song that came to mind :biglaugh:

quote:

Confusing disrespect to a sitting US President-but still being grammatically correct-

is nothing like people freaking out because a man with an unaccredited degree isn't

addressed by his unofficial degree. It IS grammatically correct to refer to both as

"Mister", and is not incorrect. It is NOT required to insist on a title for either,

and unaccredited, unofficial titles don't count for most people in just about ANY

context.

You may have noticed that when posting, I usually refer to him as VP. No doctor. Grammatically has nothing to do with anything; what I see as pathetic is that the only reason he is called mister here is to disrespect him. At least Michael Moore was disrespecting a guy who was alive. You're disrespecting a guy who has been dead for more than a quarter century. A guy who has no more a portion forever of anything done under the sun. THAT'S what is pathetic.

If you want to disrespect what he taught? That's another matter. Every spinoff I've had exposure to has tweaked some of what he taught. As I said, VP has no more a portion. It's all out of his hands now. So much of what VP did has been written or recorded that he's fair game, just like Darwin, Hitler, Plato, pick your own. Sure, let's try his words 7 times in a furnace of earth and see what remains. We do that for everybody else.

But to spitefully lash out at a guy who's been dead so long? That IS pathetic. It doesn't constitute 'trying his words'; all it does is to say to the whole world that you're in more bondage now than you were as a consenting member of a "cult".

Patanswer posted that she was glad I'm here. Using different words she went on to explain (as I inferred it) that I am a poster child for what can happen to you if you drink too much of twis 'koolaid'. You don't want to end up like HIM, do you? I have no problem with that (if that's what she meant). I used to feel that I had to defend my honor when people here deliberately misrepresented me, but really, I have no honor here; never will. Just my words. So continue to try them 7 times or whatever.

You ought to be glad I'm here, too. Most people like me won't touch this place with a ten foot pole. I don't know for sure that you represent the majority of all those who've left twi, but I seriously doubt it.

Johniam.

I almost agree with you. If you're saying that VP's teachings are fair game, but it's wrong to assault his character, I can --kind of-- respect that.

On the other hand, there are many here who have been personally victimized by VP's character failings so to tell them that it's pathetic to disrespect a man they trusted, who turned out to be a hypocrite, charlatan, and abuser, is pretty heartless. I've no doubt that if you said that in a real ex way gathering instead of this virtual meeting space, several ladies would slap the sh!t out of you. Deservedly so.

So you really don't get it. And I'm not sure you want to.

Edited by Jbarrax

quote:

A guy who has no more a portion forever of anything done under the sun. THAT'S what is pathetic.

I believe this is where you may be missing the point. He CONTINUES to have an ongoing impact on peoples' lives, long after his demise, via the erroneous doctrine he promoted with his PFAL series of classes and lifestyle choices he demonstrated to upper leadership. Your insistence on defending him exemplifies this misguided devotion.

*Most people like me* won't touch this place with a ten foot pole.

Case in point: *Most people like me*.

What kind of people would those be, John?

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

Since I post here, when I read a statement like, " Most people like me won't touch this place with a ten foot pole" said by Johniam, it sure makes me wonder what sorts of people those are. I try not to take those statements personally, though. But I don't know how to take them impersonally, either...just sayin.

Edited by penworks

quote: I've no doubt that if you said that in a real ex way gathering instead of this virtual meeting space,

I'm going to a "real" exway gathering today. It's called fellowship. Been going to this particular fellowship for 6 1/2 years. Plenty of females there. Haven't been slapped yet.

quote: I've no doubt that if you said that in a real ex way gathering instead of this virtual meeting space,

I'm going to a "real" exway gathering today. It's called fellowship. Been going to this particular fellowship for 6 1/2 years. Plenty of females there. Haven't been slapped yet.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying. You have been going to this fellowship for 6 1/2 years and, during that time, you have revealed, to the female attendees, that Wierwille had a history of giving date-rape drugs to female believers so he could subsequently have illicit sex with them......and no one slapped you when you told them you condoned his behavior.... Is that correct?

edit....Because you take exception to VP's character being called into question, let's approach it from a different angle. During those 6 1/2 years, how many of the actual errors in PFAL have you collectively discussed as a group?...things like dechomai/lambano...throughly/thoroughly....4 crucified...the cry of triumph....Nice/Nicea...."All the women in the kingdom belong to the king."...Bar Mitzva in OT times non-existent, the magical "law" of believing.....etc., etc.

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/editorial/editorial-items/actual-errors-in-power-for-abundant-living.html

What sort of reactions did you observe to these revelations?

Edited by waysider

You may have noticed that when posting, I usually refer to him as VP. No doctor. Grammatically has nothing to do with anything; what I see as pathetic is that the only reason he is called mister here is to disrespect him. At least Michael Moore was disrespecting a guy who was alive. You're disrespecting a guy who has been dead for more than a quarter century. A guy who has no more a portion forever of anything done under the sun. THAT'S what is pathetic.

Yeah you're right - pathetic to malign a dead guy. Why that Luke the physician - he had some nerve writing about that Judas Iscariot killing himself and all his character flaws. How pathetic. The same with all those other historians who wrote Old Testament books. How dare they malign Cain, Jezebel, and all the rest of the flawed people in the OT. In fact I believe all 4 Gospels are purported to be written circa 90-110AD. What nerve those men had to be speaking of dead people like that. They must of been in such bondage, and members of a cult - right?

:rolleyes:

If you want to disrespect what he taught? That's another matter. Every spinoff I've had exposure to has tweaked some of what he taught. As I said, VP has no more a portion. It's all out of his hands now. So much of what VP did has been written or recorded that he's fair game, just like Darwin, Hitler, Plato, pick your own. Sure, let's try his words 7 times in a furnace of earth and see what remains. We do that for everybody else.

But to spitefully lash out at a guy who's been dead so long? That IS pathetic. It doesn't constitute 'trying his words'; all it does is to say to the whole world that you're in more bondage now than you were as a consenting member of a "cult".

Your logic - to put it kindly - makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

And it's leading you to acting like quite an @$$ towards people too. You might want to clean that up.

To be completely clear - Jesus taught us that you know people by their fruit. This includes evidence of their character as well as their words, teachings, etc. Even more so for hypocrites - right? As how they are alone or in more elite settings can be much different than the image they portray publicly with the smiling faces and nice words.

Edited by chockfull

i would never be able to bring myself to "fellowship with" people who look up to wierwille

i mean i guess i could for 2 seconds but then i would have to tell them my experiences

does not mean i don't care about them, you know?

i go through this every now and then with way corps site (john's) people

Edited by excathedra

Just wonder. Have you given them a good reason? Or not?

sometimes you've given ample justification here for a resounding slapping..

I still can't figure out why they called him "doctor".

He wasn't Doctor Who. Drax affirmed in one of the episodes of Key to Time that he, the Doctor, actually went on and earned a Galifreyian doctorate..

"you did well, going on with the doctorate and all.." or something like that.

wierwille? No, no Doctorate.

It's almost like calling Capone "mister"..

:biglaugh:

If I were to refer to Mr. Wierwille, it would not be to mock his legacy or to poke fun at him. Rather, it would be directed at those who still wrongly believe he is entitled to the honorific despite his academic dishonesty. In other words, there would be no need to call him mister if willfully ignorant sycophants didn't insist on referring to him as

Doctor.

So if it makes you feel better, Wierwille is not being disrespected when I call him Mr. You are, if you think he's a Dr.

Edited by Raf

You're disrespecting a guy who has been dead for more than a quarter century. A guy who has no more a portion forever of anything done under the sun. THAT'S what is pathetic.

I can put myself in your shoes. Standing a drambuie ridden mostly rotten corpse up for public ridicule could be considered rather "morbid".

On the other hand, what does that say about standing a drambuie ridden mostly rotten corpse of an intellectual pretender, abuser and worse up for public adoration?

:biglaugh:

The laugh is not in ridicule. It is sincere..

quote: If I were to refer to Mr. Wierwille, it would not be to mock his legacy or to poke fun at him. Rather, it would be directed at those who still wrongly believe he is entitled to the honorific despite his academic dishonesty. In other words, there would be no need to call him mister if willfully ignorant sycophants didn't insist on referring to him as

Doctor.

Good to see you on here, Raf. But who here even does this. Yeah, when I'm at fellowship if his name comes up we still call him Dr. Wierwille, but here I call him VP. Does any regular poster call him doctor? I don't care about his honorific whatever, I just still value his contribution to my LIFE, indirect as it may be. Dr. John, the night tripper isn't really a doctor is he?

Personally, I was not involved with TWI, nor did I swallow the doctrine hook, line, and sinker because I thought Wierwille was a doctor. Nor did I leave TWI and forsake their doctrine just because I learned his credentials were questionable. Even if VP earned a doctorate in theology from a respected institution, I still would not be fellowshipping with TWI based on other criteria. For me this is a non-issue. It may be of interest, however, to those who believe VP was a doctor of theology.