GreaseSpot Cafe

campfires and night owls

waysider

Were they genuine or just another calculated part of the indoctrination process?

Oh, one from Column A, one from Column B.

vpw was OPPORTUNISTIC.

He saw an ad for a class, went and bullied his way into the class, then plagiarized it

and charged money for it, calling it "his" class.

He met a man who understood The Spirit, read his book, then had it retyped

and charged money for it, calling it "his" book.

He read an article about preaching being an up-and-coming field, and he went into preaching.

He read an article about young Christians in a sexually-permissive environment, went and

impressed them using material from the class and book, and co-opted their ministries

into his own, calling them "his kids."

He once claimed that the "night owls" began BY ACCIDENT, and I think that was true.

He went to relax after an evening teaching, and people, excited, came over to talk

to them. This provided a great INFORMAL opportunity to indoctrinate and pass on his

opinions on many subjects. Eventually, he formalized them, dividing them into

night owls and hoot owls (AFTER MIDNIGHT), and made them a more FORMAL opportunity

to indoctrinate.

But at first, it developed organically, then vpw came along and formalized it, strangling

the life out of it. Pretty much the same scenario as he did with everything else.

Eventually, he formalized them, dividing them into

night owls and hoot owls (AFTER MIDNIGHT), and made them a more FORMAL opportunity

to indoctrinate.

Guess the old geezer was right when he said "Nothing profitable happens after midnight." :biglaugh:

Missed out on all of those.

Nearest I came was when we were clearing out Emporia prior to sale and J@que H rounded us worker bees all up one evening and took us to the camp fire area. It just seemed like a nice relaxing time. She seemed to enjoy it too.

Nobody else around, no Ed H or LCM or anybody. Of course it would be a relaxing time.

tenting tonight around the old campfire - I think that was an old civil war song

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in FellowLaborers, we had a work detail to build a fire circle. We stayed up all night, cutting sod, with a special machine, and relaying it around a fire circle. I don't remember much of what was said around that fire pit but the drudgery of building it is etched in my memory.

• Upvote 1

tenting tonight around the old campfire - I think that was an old civil war song

should have said the old campground

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I seem to recall not too long after the FLO campfire area construction, some or all of us were required to spend the night there in sleeping bags, which in my little mind sucks like an open chest wound. This was in an area on the far side of a creek, kinda woodsy, with the garden on one side and the creek on the other. Very early, right about dark-thirty, some of us were awakened by an ungodly scream, which a country girl from FLO 3 informed us was a raccoon, after the corn in the garden.

Was it an in-depth spiritual experience for me? No, but I still hate sleeping outside and I don't much like raccoons, either.

WG, there's a commercial about eyeglasses in which a woman thinks she is calling her cat to come inside and instead it's a raccoon. Absolutely hilarious :biglaugh: