GreaseSpot Cafe

Further Proof Civilization Is Declining...

So_crates

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

Criminy! The "general story" is specific nonsense. I'd ask why you don't simply realize a person (twig leader) doesn't really provide "spiritual protection" for "his people." S/he may pray for his/her friends but excellence arising from intention might rather highlight GOD protecting people. No? Yes?

Stories didn't overemphasize anything, IMO. Victor's private interpretation skewed both the writers/performers and the audience understanding. In terms of story, which can effectively teach or impress or illuminate in an observer's mind and understanding, there was no overemphasis. There was only distorted understanding of the function of storytelling.

Sorry if I sounded too condescending. :evilshades:

Even JAL noticed that- for something supposedly explaining spiritual stuff-  it has time for 2 hours of fluff but nowhere in the production is JESUS CHRIST himself invited to be a part of things.  Who is the powerful one protecting the younger Christians?  It's not JC, it's lcm himself- who is specifically representing ministers. 

As for myself, I'd like to point out that our side looks woefully underpowered- because we're poorly represented.  Who fights devils directly?  Obviously, ANGELS do- but none of them were invited to take part.  So, when the human servants of evil show up- "the seed of the serpent"- that should have been the moment for the Christians to face off, but they were improperly matched against devils. So, a sub-category of Christians is sliced off- ministers- and assigned a task for which they were never designated to perform, facing off against humans- as well as acting as "elite Christians"-  as if they were on a higher plateau than the rest of us.  If you pause the video at just the right moment, you can actually see lcm with all the Christians PATTING HIM ON THE BACK at the same time.   AND Jesus is never represented.  The "Gathering Together"(Rapture) is depicted, and Jesus STILL is not mentioned- even though he's supposed to be critical and central to that moment.

Although supposedly meant to communicate something, it misses the mark, fundamentally, many times.  The entire doctrine of "seed of the serpent", obviously, is error- and is a twi, home-grown error so naturally it's central to the error-ridden tableau.

The only thing worth any effort, IMHO, was the narrator reading the expository blocks on the devil and God Almighty- primarily because it's the one time in the entire production where the Bible takes center stage, however fleetingly. THAT could have been accomplished without the rest of the production and saved a LOT of time and error- but then lcm would not have had a chance to make things even MORE about himself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I was thinking more of Schubert and his amazing masterpiece "Rosamunde."    

Like AOS, the play that Schubert wrote that music for bombed and closed in a week, but the music lived on.  Like in AOS, the melodies are riveting in Rosamunde.

Saying the melodies in AOS are "riveting" is overselling them. Most of them, IMHO, are pretty good, but not ESPECIALLY noteworthy, and certainly not "riveting".   And there's at least one song that is dissonant, painful to listen to, and calling it "mediocre" would be generous.

11 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Just rewatched part of the video where craig was teaching his fellowship how to fight deebil spurts...that production is awful....the only thing ?

yep...

yoiu guessed it

Now there’s a man who truly understands the robot dance.  

Is it irony that the topic is “renewed mind” while the motion depicts a brainwashed state?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chockfull said:

Now there’s a man who truly understands the robot dance.  

Is it irony that the topic is “renewed mind” while the motion depicts a brainwashed state?

Truly, truly stated....but wait...I found robot boy's newst project....I was inresidence with him...not a bad guy...terribly conceited but otherwise, decent folks.

Edited by OldSkool

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

Truly, truly stated....but wait...I found robot boy's newst project....I was inresidence with him...not a bad guy...terribly conceited but otherwise, decent folks.

Ewww! Talk about brainwashing! :confused:

2 hours ago, waysider said:

Well, ya know, it's spirchal, so it's more like Astroboy.

Go! Go! Go!  Astroboy!

Dude, thatnks for posting that...I love old cartoons like this one..too funny!

On 7/16/2023 at 8:43 PM, So_crates said:

Also, where were the gift ministries? Aren't the prophets tasked with the job of keeping the MOG on the straight and narrow?

Sounds like a question for Walt*r Cumm*ns, the one VPW put in charge of "biblical research."

52 minutes ago, penworks said:

Sounds like a question for Walt*r Cumm*ns, the one VPW put in charge of "biblical research."

LOL! As if anyone could overcome Victor Wierwille's domineering malignant narcissism. :confused: :wink2:

On 7/16/2023 at 8:58 PM, Nathan_Jr said:

Viktorpneustos

All scripture is profitable — if you try hard enough. 

On 7/19/2023 at 8:44 PM, Nathan_Jr said:

an opportunity to teach on criticism -- criticism of film, music, architecture, food, coffee... whatever.

Good prompt for self reflection. It’s easy to confuse my preferences with objectivity. Reminds me of an indie folk guy who was listening to and rating new releases. One song was from a prominent pop artist. And his response was “it’s not for me.”

The funny thing is, I enjoy most other songs by that artist — but not the one he was given. I thought, he probably would like anything else. But my response would have been “this is not good.”

18 hours ago, penworks said:

17 hours ago, Rocky said:

LOL! As if anyone could overcome Victor Wierwille's domineering malignant narcissism. :confused: :wink2:

The questions are rhetorical.

Part of what I was attempting to do was getting at another presupposition: The Way has the Word of God.

Does The Way have the Word of God?

How do we know?

If The Way has the Word of God, why don't people act like it or follow it's dictates?

This, of course, goes along with the other two presuppositions which were never answered:

Was Saint Vic a MOG?

How do we know?

Did Saint Vic work for God?

Again, how do we know?

Edited by So_crates

5 hours ago, Logicisgreatstuff said:

All scripture is profitable — if you try hard enough. 

If you try hard enough you can MAKE it fit.

5 hours ago, Logicisgreatstuff said:

Good prompt for self reflection. It’s easy to confuse my preferences with objectivity. Reminds me of an indie folk guy who was listening to and rating new releases. One song was from a prominent pop artist. And his response was “it’s not for me.”

The funny thing is, I enjoy most other songs by that artist — but not the one he was given. I thought, he probably would like anything else. But my response would have been “this is not good.”

I can appreciate various genres of music, but I separate my appreciation from my preference, though sometimes they are aligned. Some of my favorite music could not be considered great. Jerry Garcia was NOT a great vocalist, the quality of the band's performances were inconsistent, often abysmal, and it could be argued that they never really improved, though they had decades to do so. But I love the Grateful Dead's music, nonetheless.

Classical music and Jazz played a big part in the soundtrack of my youth, because that's what my dad liked and it was ALWAYS playing in the house. To compare the music of AOS with great classical composers, to call it one the greatest compositions of the 20th century, strikes me as an opinion from someone who has never listened to great music nor tried to understand what makes great music.

As the logical errors literally leap off the pages of PFAL and the collaterals, so do the pretentious affectations of AOS. It is cringe. It's not for me.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, So_crates said:

The questions are rhetorical.

Part of what I was attempting to do was getting at another presupposition: The Way has the Word of God.

Does The Way have the Word of God?

How do we know?

If The Way has the Word of God, why don't people act like it or follow it's dictates?

This, of course, goes along with the other two presuppositions which were never answered:

Was Saint Vic a MOG?

How do we know?

Did Saint Vic work for God?

Again, how do we know?

To each question, I would reply, ye shall know them by their fruit.:spy:

25 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The white horse will be saddled with bags filled with the collaterals. Jesus will teach from PFAL. And the music of AOS will provide the soundtrack.

And I'll happily go swimming in the lake of fire....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

the lake of fire....

The lake of fire is just a figger of speech illustrating with mathematical exactness the literal meaning, according to usage, of the scene I described.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

22 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The lake of fire is just a figger of speech illustrating with mathematical exactness the literal meaning, according to usage, of the scene I described.

Lo Shantu Deeshy malatov loktail....

On 7/21/2023 at 3:40 PM, Nathan_Jr said:

The white horse will be saddled with bags filled with the collaterals. Jesus will teach from PFAL. And the music of AOS will provide the soundtrack.

Is crossing Plaffy with the book of Revelation the equivalent to a new kind of designer drug?

What you describe sounds like a really bad trip on a designer drug.  I mean so bad you have the potential for Teletubbies appearing riding purple dinosaurs.

I mean this would be what we are trying to rescue Mikey from as it sounds downright frightening.  :biglaugh:

On 7/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, WordWolf said:

Saying the melodies in AOS are "riveting" is overselling them. Most of them, IMHO, are pretty good, but not ESPECIALLY noteworthy, and certainly not "riveting".   And there's at least one song that is dissonant, painful to listen to, and calling it "mediocre" would be generous.

I mean “riveting” could mean a train wreck catching your attention.

Cue the Way Orchestra and the little riffs going on - men in tights doing the jock shuffle to represent SIT.

Then slowly a group of 20 strippers emerges all doing a pole dance routine without the pole.

Then the jock puts the seed ladies foot on his shoulder and gazes into her eyes.  Then she collapses into his arms.

I mean it’s totally understandable why John Travolta and Scientology had to try and duplicate that on Staying Alive 2.

It’s so……. so……..

Riveting

lol

34 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Cue the Way Orchestra and the little riffs going on - men in tights doing the jock shuffle to represent SIT.

I was not so unfortunate to have bonded my eyes to the visuals in AOS.  I think I got the cassette tape before seeing the video.  But for sure, I only saw the video once, and then heard the cassette music MANY TIMES on my walkman while working.

I got an unbiased hearing of the music; I understand your visual handicap in this matter.

Since then I have only looked at brief minutes of the video in recent years.  Once maybe twice in 38 years.

Edited by Mike

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I was not so unfortunate to have bonded my eyes to the visuals in AOS.  I think I got the cassette tape before seeing the video.  But for sure, I only saw the video once, and then heard the cassette music MANY TIMES on my walkman while working.

I got an unbiased hearing of the music; I understand your handicap.

Forgive me if my view is that cleaning windows with headphones on and AOS orchestra in the background clearly represents way more of a handicap than I have ever dealt with.

You are in my prayers.

• Like 1