GreaseSpot Cafe

Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus

Cowgirl

So is it true? I realize this book came out in the nineties and I'm curious if anyone here has read it and if so what is your take on it.

I also heard there is another book that just came out written by someone else but similar kind of content, does anyone know the name of it?

Cowgirl

082a.jpg

I have never read the book but I can sort of assume the premise...I care for my girlfriend very much but the closer we get the more I am convinced that she is from an alternate reality and was probably birthed by aliens. icon_wink.gif;)-->

A lot of her stuff makes no sense to me,

she says she feels the same about me, and talking to other friends (men and women) it seems to a common thread that we think and perceive in much different ways.

Its a source of a lot of amusement for me (sometimes annoyance) but I can see where it would cause problems if people were too stuck in the rigid mindset that their other half had to think and be just like them.

So yea although I have never read the book I think generally men and women are coming from vastly different places and it really helps relationships out if your realize that

A true story (supposedly)

Remember the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"? Well, here's a prime example offered by an English professor at Southern Methodist University, English 44A, SMU, Creative Writing, Prof. Miller.

In-class Assignment for Wednesday: "Today we will experiment with a new form called the tandem story. The process is simple. Each person will pair off with the person sitting to his or her immediate right. One of you will then write the first paragraph of a short story. The partner will read the first paragraph and then add another paragraph to the story. The first person will then add a third paragraph, and so on back and forth. Remember to re-read what has been written each time in order to keep the story coherent. The story is over when both agree a conclusion has been reached."

"The following was actually turned in by two of my English students: Rebecca (last name deleted) and Gary (last name deleted)"

STORY: (first paragraph by Rebecca)

At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted. The chamomile, which used to be her favorite for lazy evenings at home, now reminded her too much of Carl, who once said, in happier times, that he liked chamomile. But she felt she must now, at all costs, keep her mind off Carl. His possessiveness was suffocating, and if she thought about him too much her asthma started acting up again. So chamomile was out of the question.

Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about than the neuroses of an air-headed asthmatic bimbo named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year ago. "A.S. Harris to Geostation 17," he said into his transgalactic communicator. "Polar orbit established. No sign of resistance so far..." But before he could sign off a bluish particle beam flashed out of nowhere and blasted a hole through his ship's cargo bay. The jolt from the direct hit sent him flying out of his seat and across the cockpit.

He bumped his head and died almost immediately, but not before he felt one last pang of regret for psychically brutalizing the one woman who had ever had feelings for him. Soon afterwards, Earth stopped its pointless hostilities towards the peaceful farmers of Skylon 4. "Congress Passes Law Permanently Abolishing War and Space Travel," Laurie read in her newspaper one morning. The news simultaneously excited her and bored her. She stared out the window, dreaming of her youth -- when the days had passed unhurriedly and carefree, with no newspapers to read, no television to distract her from her sense of innocent wonder at all the beautiful things around her. "Why must one lose one's innocence to become a woman?" she pondered wistfully.

Little did she know, but she had less than 10 seconds to live. Thousands of miles above the city, the Anu'udrian mothership launched the first of its lithium fusion missiles. The dim-witted wimpy peaceniks who pushed the Unilateral Aerospace Disarmament Treaty through Congress had left Earth a defenseless target for the hostile alien empires who were determined to destroy the human race. Within two hours after the passage of the treaty the Anu'udrian ships were on course for Earth, carrying enough firepower to pulverize the entire planet. With no one to stop them, they swiftly initiated their diabolical plan. The lithium fusion missile entered the atmosphere unimpeded. The President, in his top-secret mobile submarine headquarters on the ocean floor off the coast of Guam, felt the inconceivably massive explosion which vaporized Laurie and 85 million other Americans. The President slammed his fist on the conference table. "We can't allow this! I'm going to veto that treaty! Let's blow 'em out of the sky!"

This is absurd. I refuse to continue this mockery of literature. My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic, semi-literate adolescent.

Yeah? Well, you're a self-centered tedious neurotic whose attempts at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium.

Bitch.

True or not, I have always liked that, Pirate! It makes me grin every time I read it.

I read the book a long time ago, Cowgirl, and don't remember much about it except that men don't like to "open up" about their feelings as freely, often and quickly as women do. Sometimes they need to go to their "cave" and be alone and the best thing a woman can do is allow him to do that. I think that's the "tinker" gene in men who like to work on things like cars and boats. Other men do other things, but the point is to be alone and have time to revel in whatever emotions are running through him.

quote:
Originally posted by Zshot:

I always figured that women were from a different planet...

I agree.

All that stuff about women being little and helpless and innocent is hog-wash.

In the military, everyone has seen 'Beverly Hillbillys' and KNOWS that little'ol Granny can pick-up a broom and just whomp on big'ol Cousin Jethro. Little has nothing to do with it. They can be MEAN !!! Because they are aliens.

I used to compete in Foil-fencing and currently I coach a high-school fencing team. The guys have a hard time trying to reconcile it all. Girls are supposed to be sugar and spice and ..., but give them a weapon and training and they will kick your butt. Guys think that they can just pick-up a foil and instantly fence, and maybe with other un-trained guys they can. Even after a year of training, when the guys are beginning to get okay, put them into a bout with a girl and the damage is done. Females are alien. Guys think defense and act to defend themselves, or they think offense and they attack; to train to do both is difficult. The dexterity of mind to be 'doing' both offense AND defense, does not come naturally to most guys. But there is this alien being around that does do both, at the same time.

Now fortunately in our society, girls seem to be commonly taught to be non-fighting [thankfully]. So when a girl first goes into a match, she usually freaks out at seeing the point of her opponent's foil so close to her face. Females often have a hard time, over-coming that point being so close to them. So the big hurdle is to train them to look beyond the enemy's weapon, and to focus on the enemy you want to hurt.

Yes I have read the book of this topic, years ago. I have read better books. My take on physcology is that each may be a good theory, but only while within it's narrow field. We humans are highly complex and multi-faceted. We each combine multiple personalitys, and we blend them. We can take on the face of a child, when dealing with our parents. We each put on the face of a parent when dealing with our children. As a technician I no doubt think and act entirely different from how I am thinking when I cook, or massage my wife's back, etc. The Mars verses Venus conflict is valid, but only within a narrow parameter, as we are far too complex.

:-)

Men are from Mars....is a good book.

My husband and I read a book called Five Love Languages. It really helped us to understand each other and what showing our love actually means to the other person. We have done really good so far! We just celebrated our first anniversary, and we have never had an arguement yet. Not that arguements mean an unsuccessful relationship, but a lack of them can mean more sweetness. icon_smile.gif:)-->

• 2 weeks later...

I read most of the book back in the fall...I think the thing that came up in me was the idea of "approaching" wimin in a different "language" & I felt like the way in which I would NEED to say things was of utmost importance...sort of to talk "their" lingo..Having been divorced..& single...I have a hard time with people who recommend putting "words in my mouth"...BUt I culd see how different sexes need to be approached in almost opposite ways..just wasn't sure that IF I complied...that it would really be ME that was being represented...LOL JJ