The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The earlier song was called Frobisher Bay.

The song was written by a Canadian Folk Singer.

His name is James Gordon and there is some history to the song but I didn't get a chance to look for it right now. But I did find him singing the song. The lyrics are easier to make out on this version HERE

Enjoy.

OK... I changed the file... it should be ok now!

Sowwy... :(

Edited by A la prochaine

Just thought I'd pop in to say good morning and tell ya that I feel sooo much better. I haven't even wanted any coffee since Tuesday (that's how you can tell how bad I was feeling). This morning I slept in and made a pot of coffee and it smelled WONDERFUL!! coffee.gif

I'm doing great and planning to clean my poor, neglected house and do some homework (also neglected).

Edited by moony3424

George,

This is for YOU! 'ole buddy. Or should I say.... "little buddy"???? You posted this:

"..This song couldn't have been about the original vacationers, because Ginger and Mary Ann were not secretaries, and the Professor was not a high school teacher."

But it IS about the *ORIGINAL* vacationers. Hee-hee! I kinda' liked Bunny myself. For those of you with Real Player... here's the opening snippet... Click HERE! Does anyone remember how the opening theme song changed later on? I understand Tina Louise was a bit of a pill and the change was made to accomodate her.

I've always said that I preferred Mary Ann to Ginger but after I became an adult, Ginger became more acceptable. Perhaps a child picks up on things... like Ginger wasn't the warm fuzzy type that was Mary Ann. Ah! Mary Ann. I'm not the only one who loved her, you know. Even little children loved Mary Ann. Click HERE! and name the artist... since we have nothing else to name at the present time.

sudo

I saw the first clip just fine on Real Player. It was a blast!!

Now, the Mary Anne in the song, she works all day and all night huh? And was she good in her position? How much did she charge? Sudo, since this is "your" lady, you MUST know. :evilshades:

Edited by moony3424

Since no one has had any guesses about the one I posted, it is called Kingdom Hospital...a one season series by Stephen King. It was written by someone else though...he "adapted" it, whatever that measn. Anyway, I just finished watching it and it was great!

And ...AHEM...Sudo...so I was right about the pilot to GI? That's ok, you don't have to even mention that I got it right, no problem, I'm not upset.(whining silently to myself)

:rolleyes::biglaugh::biglaugh::rolleyes:

Rick

Ala,

Lookie at you, girl! I'm not the only one checking in here on a Saturday night! Ok.. you could see my first link with the Gilligan video (HERE!) and could hear the next song but didn't know who it was, HERE! So a little hint on the last one.. the artist did several songs in the movie Beetlejuice and is known for Calypso music and social agitation. He also has a daughter that sings.

The group that Ted was talking about, Ala? Here's *their* version of the song.. click (HERE!) Umm.. nice song. Makes ME want to fall in love with Marianne!!

sudo (into the oldies)

P.S. Ala.. you see how the songs I've been posting have, uh, different things showing up when you play them? I do that by editing their "tags". I can send you software to *do* that yourself so folks won't know the songs' name you post, if you'd like. I can be reached at sudo2u@gmail.com

Just for you Sudo.

Moony you are cleaning what the coffee pot?

Marianne

Words & Music by Terry Gilkyson, Richard Dehr & Frank Miller

Recorded by Terry Gilkyson & The Easy Riders, 1957

E B7

Marianne, oh Marianne, oh won't you marry me?

E

We can have a bamboo hut and brandy in the tea.

A

Leave your fat old mama home--she never will say yes.

A7 E B7 E (N.C.)

If Mama don't know now, she can guess (my, my yes).

Refrain:

E B7

All day, all night Marianne

B7 E

Down by the seaside, siftin' sand;

E B7

Even little children love Marianne,

B7 E

Down by the seaside, siftin' sand.

When she walks along the shore, people pause to greet,

White birds fly around her, little fish come to her feet.

In her heart is love, but I'm the only mortal man

Who's allowed to kiss my Marianne (don't rush me).

Repeat Refrain:

When we marry, we will have a time you never saw;

I will be so happy, I will kiss me mother-in-law (phooey!)

Children by the dozen in and out the bamboo hut,

One for ev'ry palm tree and cok-ey not (hurry up now)

Repeat Refrain:

Gilkyson also wrote songs recorded by other performers, including Fast Freight, recorded by The Kingston Trio; Cry of the Wild Goose, recorded by Frankie Laine; and (with the assistance of fellow Easy Riders Dehr and Miller) both Greenfields, which became a signature song/hit for The Brothers Four, and Memories Are Made Of This, which reached just about the same status with Dean Martin.

Ted,

Thanks! Great song, doncha' think? Makes ya' wanna' go down to the beach and boogie to the sounds of a Calypso band! For some reason I'm thinking about Margaritas and I don't even drink the things!

I was about to go night night when I was finally able to get my hands on this next one. There's usually no rush around here but I HAD to post it tonight. Most of you will probably be scratching your heads but perhaps someone might get the connection. Click HERE! Does anyone recognize the singer? The tune, perhaps? My mom said after she saw this movie she could never sing that song again in church and not think about this movie. A very unusual movie for several reasons. And just maybe... someone will know why I'm posting it tonight. YAWNNNN!!!!!

sudo

Sudo,

OK...the first link I had no clue .. like Moony the Wonderful Cleaning Lady I could only think of Harry Belafonte.

Now the second version I was thinking was Peter, Paul and Mary? Right???

OK...the last one... how cool. I loved it... sheeshh.. it sent me way back into my WAYDAZE :blink: but it was a good trip. :spy:

Beautiful song...but have NO :blink: clue what movie it's from

Nighty night Sudo :sleep1:

Sudo,

Your beautiful Gospel Tune got me thinking of another movie that ends with a gospel song. The actress in this movie won Best Actress for her role in this movie in 1984.

I've tried finding the song but haven't had any luck. The song was written by Charles Miles Austin and was sung many a time in my WAYDAZE. I particularly found this recording of this song absolutely moving. :love3:

So, I thought I'd end this broadcasting day :biglaugh: with this lush gospel song. This song HERE is sung by one of the most talented musicians around.

Enjoy and sweet sleep. :sleep1:

ps.. sudo thanks for the cute 'alalovesthissong linky thing.. made me giggle. :biglaugh: )

Ala,

Re:"Your beautiful Gospel Tune.... "

Yes, it's a great gospel song but this clip (HERE!) is kinda' creepy in the movie. It could be a little early to give hints since I just posted it last night.... and it is the weekend when folks pop in at odd times. But this movie is a real quirker. The reason I posted that clip is that the movie starred Shelley Winters who died yesterday. That should narrow it down to only about 70 movies fer 'ya! Hee-hee!

I loved this movie even the first time I saw it many years back when I hadn't developed much appreciation for the art of movie making. Its one of those few movies I enjoy every time I watch it. It didn't get recogniton when it was made but has grown in reputation since. The IMDB users give it an 8.2 out of 10. That's about as high a rating I've ever seen. It was the only movie the director made as a director but he was a consumate well known actor before that.

OK... a hint... the actor singing in the above clip? Who also starred in the movie with Shelley Winters? Here he is singing from a different movie... Click HERE! Pretty good tune even if the singer isn't that good, huh?

sudo

Sudo,

I got the Movie and the Song and the actor... (OK... :unsure: I cheated...but otherwise, it was hopeless)

Would have never have guessed it was him... but of course I was never a fan of his acting. Had problems believing his believability in roles.

Now Shelley, she was a tremendous actress. I liked her. Never watched her much in her early roles such as the one above, but I loved her human quality in her acting.

When I first read your above post about the gospel song being 'creepy' I thought you were talking about the Alison song I posted... I was going to say... WHAT!!!! :realmad: How dare he say my song was creepy!!! :nono5:

:biglaugh:

OK...

One more gospel tune...I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

Now this song has great and deep meaning to me. I discovered this song and this singer within a few years years of being ex-communicated from TWI, all the ones I thought were supposedly my closest of friends and even a sister and her family.

When I heard this song HERE I knew God was with me again.

Enjoy! :)

Edited by A la prochaine