GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Anyone up for a 'funny'?? Anyone got something to add?? It's the weekend.. We've had snow here in Memphis today.. the place is gorgeous and I'm in a good mood. So here's what you get when you dial the mental health hotline (go on and listen to it George.. it's an MP3 but short) .. Click on the Mental Health Hotline

sudo (who took the following pic of his house today!!)

house1.jpg

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sudo, I'm laughing my butt off here. The last line was the best and certainly got my attention. That is excellent! The puppy goes in my library dear. :)

That picture is lovely. And I don't think I mentioned before but you have a beautiful home from all you've shown us. We've had the oddest winter. It's been bitter cold but there are robins out eating berries from trees that sprouted too early due to being tricked by the weather. It just doesn't seem right. You enjoy that snow, I know you were just talking about wishing you had some and weren't you trying to convince the kids it actually did snow in Memphis? :unsure: How much are y'all expecting in total?

Sushi, Are you as funny in real life as you are here (and chat)? :biglaugh:

I posted a reply, but it did not show up. I guess I'm still too new at this.

The gist of it was, despite all his imperfections, I am still thankful for what I learned from him and always will be. It was through PFAL that I finally learned how to develop an intimate relationship with God. I can't imagaine life without it.

My handle means sudo is mine, and I am his.

Mrs. Sudo, I don't post in The Way so can't reply to you there but here is as much your home as mine so I reckon we can chat a bit.

I'm sure Sudo (well of course when you think his name it wouldn't sound like that LOL) has told you about our positions in general so you know you'll hear things and may at times be tempted to let it be personal where it hurts. Folks here hang together on purpose. They may bicker and bite but they choose to hang together. So don't ever allow the barks to become personal okay. You'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more if ya can avoid it. And this is just me to you. You don't have to listen to a word I say dear.

It was a delight to get to know you tonight in chat some, really it was. Kathy

Thanks for replying, Kathy. It was nice chatting with you, also.

I know my beliefs will differ signficantly from those of many people on this site, but I may find that they are similar to many, also. As my husband and I disagree on so much regarding God and the Bible, I am learning to not get emotionally involved in such discussions, just to listen and glean whatever jewels there may be in the conversation.

Okay I'm in a music mood so before I head out for awhile I thought I'd provide some should anyone be so inclined.

This one needs a warning for a morning listen. It has lots of energy and should not be listened to prior to coffee being consumed. But it's a fun song and it will be nostalgia for a certain age. HERE wav or HERE mp3

This one would have caused our twi leaders to frown based on some of the subject but I loved them back then and I love them today. Can be listened to prior to your first cup of coffee btw. HERE wav or HERE mp3

This one is just flat out lovely and comes from the same time period. HERE wav or HERE mp3

Sudo, I'm laughing my butt off here. The last line was the best and certainly got my attention. That is excellent! The puppy goes in my library dear. :)

I got that one in an email at work the other day. It also included,

If you are menopausal, please put down the gun and sit in front of a fan. This too will pass.

Thanks for the memories Kathy. Did anybody see the movie with the same name of the 3rd one? The first one reminds me of when the kids were babies.

Edited by moony3424

Okay I'm in a music mood so before I head out for awhile I thought I'd provide some should anyone be so inclined.

This one needs a warning for a morning listen. It has lots of energy and should not be listened to prior to coffee being consumed. But it's a fun song and it will be nostalgia for a certain age. HERE wav or HERE mp3

A fun tune, if not that old. My younger stepdaughter got to sing it on stage the first time I took her to a Vince Vance and the Valiants concert!

This one would have caused our twi leaders to frown based on some of the subject but I loved them back then and I love them today. Can be listened to prior to your first cup of coffee btw. HERE wav or HERE mp3

A pretty song, but I don't remember it at all.

This one is just flat out lovely and comes from the same time period. HERE wav or HERE mp3

I prefer the old Bill Phillips "doo-wop" version, but Robert Plant's styling on it is good, too.

George

Kathy,

Yeah... we's gots competition now for top spot in the 'Gallery'. And we used to be top dog too!!! My, how things change. OK.. gots one you and your vintage may know because it was one of those popular Saturday morning cartoons in 1968. I was in high school then and didn't really watch cartoons any more. Oh, I'm not talking about good Warner Brothers' Road Runner, Tweety Bird cartoons.. but you listen to this theme and quite obviously, they were trying to sound like an English pop group.

Click HERE!

sudo

SaintGeorge, yup that's Robert Plant and The Honeydrippers singing Sea of Love. I love this version, but I love Robert Plant. The one you mentioned will be more recognized without question.

Sudo, I watched 227841.jpg with my son.

I loved Sesame Street before he was old enough to be watching it. I was so thankful he grew up before they introduced that purple dinosaur and yellow sponge person. I've even mentioned to him how grateful I was for getting to go thru GI Joes, Star Wars and Transformers with him. And television was The Electric Company, Inspector Gadget and Scooby-Doo.

Okay, I'm not off my music thing so bear with me again. :)

Not recommended if you don't enjoy adult cartoon humor. HERE wav or HERE mp3

I was very young when this was still popular. So that means we're talking 50's. HERE wav or HERE mp3

Memories of youth and so many things comes flooding back with one which I favored at the time. HERE wav or HERE mp3

Edited by ChattyKathy

I read Archie comics until about 1970. (When the prices went up, I stuck with the super-hero stuff and ditched the "funny books.") I did watch the cartoon show (and, I think, "Josie and the Pussycats"). I remember that Archie's last name was Andrews, Jughead's was Jones, and Veronica's was Lodge; but I can't remember Betty's and Reggie's last names. Nor, for that matter, Big Ethyl's, Moose's, or Midge's. Can anyone help me out?

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

I don't know. I'm not so good with names though. Landmarks I'm better with. If I've been somewhere once I'll remember things well enough to have that help whenever (if ever) I return there again. My dad was like that. I watched him for years saying. Well I guess I need to adjust that landmark memory (because the area had grown so much). So I guess I just learned it. But names....I suck!

Okay, so this will sound dorky but heck I'm in a mood or something. But once upon a time I thought I would like to be the person that places a fake room before a shoot. The one that graphs out exactly the placement of each item and then places it back as if the room was never disturbed. I swear I must have been going thru some strange period or something. :blink: :unsure:

Mrs. Sudo,

I've no time now but I just read your posts from the evening (btw, I do hope you slept in after that) and I want you to know I love how you handle yourself. I love that you aren't intimidated. And I love that there are some folks that have chosen to engage in a civil discussion with you.

You're a breath of fresh air!

Kathy

Edited by ChattyKathy

I was very young when this was still popular. So that means we're talking 50's.
We had a copy of this song on an American Bandstand record.
Memories of youth and so many things comes flooding back with one which I favored at the time.

This takes me back to slumber parties. Nothing better than a basement full of teens pulling an all-nighter. Now, slumber means actually getting some sleep. How things change.

That one I played was Rebel Rouser by Duane Eddy. But I don't know if it was the originally or not.

That one you didn't sleep to was Georgy Girl by The Seekers and that one I'm pretty sure was the original.

I loved those slumber parties. And sleeping was something that might come around daybreak when it was time to go home. Were you allowed to go home and sleep some? I was because mom knew it before hand that I'd need it. :rolleyes:

That one I played was Rebel Rouser by Duane Eddy. But I don't know if it was the originally or not.

That's the one that we had.

I can't remember if I got to sleep in or not, since that was before the "fog years". :sleep1:

By the way, I saw my daughter and her husband last night. It was short, but sweet (they left for home this morning). They didn't bring the kids with them (the first time that they've gone away like this without any of them) and all my daughter talked about was how much she missed them.

Edited by moony3424

By the way, I saw my daughter and her husband last night. It was short, but sweet (they left for home this morning). They didn't bring the kids with them (the first time that they've gone away like this without any of them) and all my daughter talked about was how much she missed them.

Sorry if this breaks up the sentiment, but it does remind me of one of my favorite exchanges from "The Simpsons":

MARGE: "Homer, I miss the children."

HOMER: "You lie!"

MARGE: "Well...I feel bad about NOT missing them."

George