The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure sounds like Harpo to me, tho I don't know what film it's from. It surely wasn't one of their earlier movies at paramount, as Harpo rarely played such a 'production' type piece in those fims.

In 'Duck Soup' he doesn't play the harp at all, only strumming some piano wires for a few seconds.

Groucho hated those harp and piano interludes by Harpo and Chico. In 'Horsefeathers' just as Chico is about to go into his piano thing, Groucho tells the audience "I've got to stay here, but you can all go out to the lobby for a smoke".

I always enjoyed them myself. Harpo was really gifted on that harp. As a kid, it was a little jarring to see this crazy guy, suddenly turn serious and play the harp. It was like the Jackie Gleason show with Frank Fontaine as 'Crazy Guggenheim". 'Crazy' would act all retarded for 10 minutes, til Joe the bartender asked for a song, then he suddenly became 'Frank'. Even Gomer Pyle became normal when it was time to sing. It was all very confusing.

Hi ya'll !!! :wave:

It sounds like you all had a great Christmas !! My humongous present is happening in February, I'm heading to Texas to see my fiance (Goey) for a whole 10 days !!!!

So to start the new year off right (I know, I know, we're not quite there yet but I'm going to go ahead and post it anyways even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the new year) so there!! :P

Let me warn you though, it's COUNTRY, I don't know If I would put it in the nostalgia category, but it was done I think in the early 90's. It is one of my all time favourites, I love everything about it, the words, the picture it paints, the music............it makes me think of the spring and summer days we have to look forward to in this new year, so enjoy to your heart's content!!

CLICK HERE

Kathy,

Of course Sushi and Mooney are right. It was Harpo Marx in A Night In Casablanca. I was an adult when I saw it for the first time and was astounded how Harpo played that harp like a dang piano!! I had never heard anyone do that before. The movie my sister brought over for us to watch was Duck Soup and as Hiway29 said.. all Harpo does in that movie is pluck some piano wires. Anyone remember how Chico played the piano with his finger pointed like a gun? He's the only one of the Marx brothers who got formal music lessons I understand.

And now for a tune Groucho would not care for... click HERE! Guess who!!??

Cowgirl!! Good to see you back. So you're going down to Texas? Give Goey our regards.. we hardly see him anymore. Have ya'll set a date yet?? Nothing warmer than new found love :D . Your song might not be nostalgia but it IS lovely. Here's one for you and Goey (click HERE!) When I think of passionate love.. I think of the Tango... and this tune is just *LOADED* with passion!!

I'm really enjoying this week off guys! I don't take much time off from the office but try to enjoy it when I do. It's STILL the "holidays" until January 2nd you know. Hey!! Are there any New Years' eve tunes that need to be posted????

sudo

Cowgirl,

So wonderful to see you back! I love Mary Chapin Carpenter's I Feel Lucky.

Cool that you're going to Texas in February to see your :wub: honey. Y'all have a few miles between ya don't ya!

Sudo,

The Marx Brothers have some interesting history if I recall correctly, but right now I can't recall what it was. :huh:

Sorry I'm not around much. Hope all are having a good week and looking forward to the weekend.

For you Sudo: p10141.jpg

Obscene voice mails?

Details, Kathy, details! :D

Rick

Well I can tell you I didn't delete them and I had to listen to them a few times to make sure I didn't miss any details. :redface:

Chatty,

Interesting signature you have there.

'Sometimes no is a slow yes'

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....what is our Kathy getting at here????

:blink: :huh:

It says so much and nothing at all. Now was that profound or insane. :D

FIRST off...

Ala!!!!!!..Where you been? Don't you know we get to worrying over where our regulars are :wave: ?? Very good to see you back, girl and I hope you had a great Christmas.

Second off...

Mooney, here's another very passionate tango for you. Click HERE! It's from Moulin Rouge and talk about PASSION!! That's the one thing new love has in common... passion. It's what drives us, no?? Ah! New love! I wish the very best for you and Ted!

Third off...

New Year's eve is only two days away and I was wanting to post some New Year's music but soon realized that.. there's only one song :blink:... Auld Lang Syne. Am I wrong here? I can't come up with a single other New Year's tune!! But guess what?? There are lots of versions of Auld Lang Syne. Yes indeedy. So I've gots myself a few versions I'm going to post just to see who knows 'em. The first version is for Rick because its done by a Blues artist. Click HERE! and anyone who knows can name the artist... which shouldn't be too hard because even *I* recognized his style.

sudo (who prefers "Are My Ears On Straight")

Thanks Moon Girl I do rather like it. :)

Ala I think you're right it would make for some interesting verses. :unsure:

I almost recognize that Sudo but not quite.

And I must have one more bit of fun regarding those two calls. I wonder what he was doing for the 5 minute time span between calls. I mean the second call was just a continuation of the first. Did he go walk the dog...eat a snack...what?....:D

Well I need to head away again so rest well for anyone not quite there yet.

Could be...then again, may be. Ted, what do you think?

Sudo, now that is passionate. :redface:

Kathy

I've always liked Dan Fogelberg. I do like your signature. It's very significant, isn't it?

I meant to acknowledge your getting the singer of my link. And I agree I've always liked him as well.

I bet Ted could come up with an interesting song based on that title (sometimes no is a slow yes) but then I bet he has more important things to do like pack to come join his sweetie. :wub:

I also agree on Sudo's passionate choice and he's done that a couple times so we've learned he's a romantic.

Our son flies back to CA tomorrow so he'll be home for the New Years Eve activities. He told us he loved us but we're boring on New Years Eve. :)

Edited by ChattyKathy