GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Ha! And some people fall right on their rear-end when they do that! As a corporate trainer, I've been down that road!

Slip n slide-that's cute.

Ok-first test. Anybody recognize this little ditty? Here

(Closes eyes, cross's fingers...)

No wonder you are now my teacher. Thank you for not telling me that up front. Although I think I have nearly broken that bad habit at work. In my case I got to know the big wheels first but we never spoke of who they were. What I was doing for them was demanding of attention and to even wonder never crossed my mind. Then I discovered the men I was running over in the hall and talking about my faith to because we just happened to go to the same church was the first and second positions of corporate. I am in a new office (where the servers were) but not far down the hall. I adore the department I am in physically although I am in NO WAY an IT (information technology) person. But the folks I work nearest to are indeed the most normal and coolest folks in corporate, yet in this world often you find that department the most avoided for various reasons. But like I was as a child when others were thinking cooties I was thinking what a bunch of foolish girls. :biglaugh:

I just rambled on there didn't I? :blink:

Edited by ChattyKathy

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tops

I liked the one where they were fighting and landed in the pool/fountain. Not sure which but were certainly dripping wet. How about the men always suited up for something. Such glam and glitter!

Kathy: I always hung out with the people in my IT department. First, because of my job as a trainer and a rollout troubleshooter (they wrote the program, I translated it into English for the people who had to use it) our paths crossed constantly. On the rare occasions when I was home, they were the first crowd I visited because, well, they really were the cool kids on the block! And as an elder (gasp) they actually listened to me, which was rather gratifying. Oh-and I'm a great rambler too-can you tell? :biglaugh:

Ca: Yeah, it was Krystal and Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan :biglaugh: . I stopped watching it after the first couple of years, because it just got more and more ridiculous.

Bluze-I'm so glad you liked it!! Makes all of yesterday worth it. I'm going to start pasting my hair back on my head now. More from the show to come......

Ah, the pressure! :biglaugh:

Ok, in honor of you, Sudo, giving us this wonderful playground, here's a couple of little tv tunes. The first should be instantly recognizable, the second-well, we'll see. :)

Here

and

Here

I've been trying to catch up on back Nostaglia reading, 'cause I don't want to repeat stuff you've already done. Geez, you guys are good! :eusa_clap:

Ok-Guess away!!

Kathy's got it! Bluze, you're sweet, but don't let me hog the place!! (Although I'm having a ball.....)

BTW-you can't forget a certain young comedian from the show who went on to be a very successful actor. What's funny is that I barely watched this show, since it was in my Way days, and either had no TV or was as opposed to it as many others were (Waybrain). The first show got 22,000 letters-and only four were positive. But they stayed on the air for four years. And Katherine Helmond is definitely what I remember.

Ok, since it's election season- Here's one of the funniest political songs I've heard. Who sang it, and what movie is it from?

Here's A TOAST TO ALL THE GIRLS

WE'VE LOVED BEFORE...

How's This For Depressing?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Brigette Bardot 71

Stella Stevens 68

Sophia Loren 71

Gina Lollobrigida 78

Deborah Kerr 94 (WOW!)

Lena Horne 88

Kay Starr 83

Patti Page 78

Annette Funicello 63

Barbara Eden 71

Angie Dickenson 74

Doris Day 81

Joan Collins 72

Julie Christie 64

Leslie Caron 74

Carroll Baker 74

Ann-Margret 64

Debra Padget 72

Julie Andrews 70

Ursula Andress 69

Rita Moreno 74

Jean Simmons 76

Julie Newmar 72

Kim Novak 72

Jane Powell 76

Debbie Reynolds 73

Shirley Temple 77 (NO!)

Jane Russell 84

Kathryn Grayson 83

Esther Williams 82

Elke Sommer 65

Gale Storm 83

Jill St John 65

LizTaylor 73 (wow!)

Mamie Van Doren 74

UNBELIVEABLE.... HOW IN THE WORLD DID THEY GET OLD, AND WE DIDN'T?

sudo

I literally came face to face with Julie Andrews last Christmas coming off an elevator into a parking garage, and can honestly say that she looked more attractive than ever.

Maybe that just means I'm getting old. Some of the women on that list are still happening. Then again, some aren't. I won't break it down though.

Ha ha ha, Sudo-I like your thinking!!!

It is amazing, isn't it-our screen idols are getting older, right before our eyes. It's to the point (for me, anyway), that I don't read the entertainment obits anymore 'cause I don't want to hear that we've lost another one. Really, I think I stopped looking when the Duke passed away-that one was enough. I've learned to just endure the memorials at the Oscars, because that's when I will see who else we've lost.

But those grand old dames are still around! BTW-you can't forget the TV generation: Mary Tyler Moore-age 70, or Carol Burnet, age 73.

And yes, George-that was now 83 year old Charles Durning. It was more fun watching him dance his way through that song-and he did it so well. You should check out his bio in Wikipedia-he is quite a story of service in WW II. Charles Durning

Slightly :offtopic:

I hope you all don't think this is lame, but I'm feeling something tonight and just want to try to express it, so bear with me.

Hearing about Jim Doop tonight made me think about those moments, back in the beginning, when we all, at some point, went somewhere and heard something that made the hair on the back of our neck stand up. Before all the bs and classes and requirements, it was just pure hearing about God and His son and remembering wanting to hear more.

Several years after I left TWI, I was watching, of all things, the Johnny Carson show. A well known singer came on to promote her new album. Instead of singing the title song, as you would expect, she instead sang this --- and the hairs in the back of my neck stood up again. To a nationwide late night audience, it was grassroots "here's the story, folks, and I'm not ashamed to tell it to you and tell you who I am in the process."

Just was thinking about that tonight and wanted to share it. Hope you don't mind. (BTW-it's really effective if you can turn it up a little.)

Tops,

Good song but.. I don't know who it is :( . I get the impression that I'm supposed to know, though, huh?? And on Johnny Carson, too. You're doing so good here, Tops.

As you guys know, I ilke the old movies on Turner Cable Movies and here's a clip I took from one I recorded this past weekend. You'll all know Shirley Temple but who is her dancing partner here? And what movie was it from? It's just a short clip but I think ya'll will like it.. Shirley is such a good little dancer as well as actress. Click HERE!

sudo

Is this the one where she was looking for her father-The Little Princess? I loved that movie-can't think of her partner's name though.

Oh-and, dear Sudo, the singer-well, think big boobs, brassy hair, real folksy, and has an amusement park named after her in Pigeon Fork, Tennessee. Many top 10 singles and a hugely successful movie about working women.

I think that's what made the moment so wonderfully surprising-having the guts to choose to sing that particular song in that particular venue just blew me away. The audience was on it's feet. And you're right, George and Hiway-doubtful we'd see that again.

Ok, here's another tribute clip I hope you'll enjoy. See if you can tell me who this now 65 year old singer is.

Here