Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sudo,

This gives away the singer's name (if Tops's clue wasn't enough), but it was one of my favorite "Karnak" jokes from the Carson show:

(Puts envelope to head)

"A double, a triple, a first-baseman's glove, a catcher's glove, and Dolly Parton."

(Opens envelope)

Name two big hits,

two big mitts, and

a country-western star!

George

Belle,

So good to see your font down here! And so now you know the truth.. 'ole Sudo isn't really the master of trivia cry.gif!! Now, I'm not too bad at nostalgia stuff.. particularly old TV and movies. But even then we have some here who can put me to shame.

So C'mon and take a guess yourself at a few of them. As you see with me... nothing to be ashamed of if ya' don't know! :)

sudo

I just tripped. I have no idea how I ended up down here! I think it might have had something to do with Kathy. :who_me:

I guess I'm even more surprised that it's a country singer......one with two special gifts that men usually love. :wink2: Are you SURE you're a true southerner? Or is Ole Miss too good for country music? :spy:

If you love old tv trivia and haven't seen this, then you'll LOVE this: When Life was Black & White

Guess you've figured out that my idea of nostaglia may be a few years off from the heart of the thread. Hope you don't mind too much.

Here's a little easy listening tune that always keeps me in the car even after I've stopped-come on now, I know you've all done that too!!! :)

You have a way of providing the needed song for me of late. Thank you teacher. :)

I just tripped. I have no idea how I ended up down here! I think it might have had something to do with Kathy. :who_me:

I love black and white televison. It's wonderful to see you hanging with us. :)

Belle,

That was absolutely GREAT! I'm the vintage that knew nearly every one of them. Oh, the ones that were over by 1955 I didn't know but I was amazed to keep seeing the dates they ran and how I remembered well those that were over by 1959. Thanks!

Tops.. yes Arlo had a very memorable song. It was popular when I was at Ole Miss and I actually rode that train down to New Orleans once.

sudo

Toppers, I love your nostalgia! Keep it coming! :love3:

Kathy, it's because of that practical joke following you around the boards that got me down here. Thank you. :)

Sudo, my uncle said that he remember most all of them, but his all time favorite was "Have Gun Will Travel" and that his prized possession was his Paladin guns and that he wore them all the time, even to bed. :biglaugh: He remembers his son, my cousin, wearing them and playing with them but doesn't know what happened to them after that. I looked up on eBay and they're going for over $300 now. :o

I guess this wouldn't be the appropriate time to mention that all those shows were long gone before I was even born... :ph34r:

Beautiful but sad the life she had.

That picture looks like an actress playing Betty page, not Betty Page herself.

While I wouldn't 'defend' her 'modeling' career, I have read her life story and know that for whatever reasons she got into it, she got out as soon as she could. She enrolled in some Bible college afterwards, and dropped out of sight. She also was in a mental institution at some point, but I forget the details.

When her old photos became wildly popular in a 'retro 50's' way, she emreged from obscurity, but remains adamant in not being photographed as an elderly woman.

There is a 'sweetness' about her that is missing in the picture above. Betty never looked that 'cold'.

True, Hiway. I just grabbed that one and didn't really pay attention. Now that I look, I realize it is most certainly not her. I wish I had looked closer before posting it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Betty was a lot more "honest" and "sweet" than she is often portrayed these days. I have a friend who has loved following her career and has taught me a lot about her. Two of her favorite quotes, which are also on the site Bluzeman posted are:

"I was never the girl next door."
and
"Sex is a part of love. You shouldn't go around doing it unless you are in love.."

These are the pictures I'm more familiar with, but I wanted them to post a larger one, so I went out to the web to get one. :(

My friend uses this for her avatar pic on all the message boards she participates in:

I like these two and even have pictures of me somwhere around the house in these poses from my college days. :who_me:

Belle,

Re:"I like these two and even have pictures of me somewhere around the house in these poses from my college days."

I think we'll have to *see* those pics posted here so we can all be in agreement as to authenticity and veracity.

sudo

:biglaugh:

Oh Sudo you are too fun, I'm sorry I only just saw this. I'm iming with Ala and posting with excath and just having a bit too much fun and didn't get here.

In truth he has a complexion problem but he is capable of things the finest skin can't accomplish.

And its Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) and that complexion is one of the finest sounding things but I swear I can't tell you what it is exactly. :unsure: