The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mother-in-law sent this and I thought it was cute and sort of Nostalgia. You can tell it was at one time an email. But my mother-in-law has no use for computers therefore someone printed it out for her and she went to the office supply store and had it copied so she could US mail it to us.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day, and we actually were able to function and survive.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, DVD’s, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen we did not put our very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And you are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the government regulated our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

You can get anything that you want at Alice's restaurant (keep in mind of course that the restaurant is not called Alice's restaurant but only the name of the song)......

I'm sitting here listening to above CD convinced my plants are speaking nice things this morning. I learned from a coworker who has a thriving plant in the heart of a building where we work that the secret is coffee. Once a week she gives them some and they love it apparently. She admitted of course they were addicted now. So I thought oh what the heck if I'm addicted then my plants can join me (great reasoning eh) and a few weeks ago I began the treat. They showed their gratitude within a few hours and now I'm not as ashamed to admit I try to grow plants to my old friends. They'd of never asked me to baby-sit their plants in their absence lets put it that way.

And I'm looking out the patio door when what do I see but a hawk swoop in on a small tree next door so closely that I couldn't see he missed his intended prey. But out flew this little bird so fast Superman would have envied it. I'd never seen a big bird fly from so high in one swoop dead into the center of a tree directly aimed at the prey. On land, in the water, in the air sure but not actually enter a tree with the speed it did and the precision (well apparently not quite that precise). It was cool to see.

Well I best be on my way as the plight of the most unfortunate placing of an envelope could be.....you can get anything you want at......

Evening to all wave.gif:wave:-->

Its going to be a lazy Summer weekend around Memphis. Today's high got to 96° today and its supposed to get to 98° tomorrow mad.gif. But what the heck.. our air-conditioning works just fine so who cares. Still, folks tend to get sluggish around these parts.

But I've got a tune that tickled me when I heard it again today. Its a very dramatic rendering of a Beatles tune and I'm wondering how many folks here have ever heard it. Very 60's. Very psychedelic. Click HERE! and enjoy. I understand the album did pretty well, too. Hee-Hee!

sudo

Kathy,

Yes, it's HIM!! What a hoot, huh? I've some related stuff to post.. in fact, 1knames sent me an interesting file, too. But I thought I'd post something else today because of something I heard on the news this afternoon.

I know I've posted this not that long ago but I've got my reasons... click HERE! and HERE! Does the name Lyle “Spud” Murphy mean anything??

sudo

P.S. Oh, OK.. a link to what I'm talking about.. click HERE!

I gotta' tell 'ya...

'Ole spuds did pretty good for himself. Died at 96 and active until the end. What a life. I had assumed that whoever had done that arrangement for the stooges was long dead. Lots of stars from back then are still with us and I wish I could talk with them for a bit. Shirley Temple for instance. She actually did some adult acting in the 1940's. Man.. the dirt she must know!!

sudo