GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

The folks that think I'm worth reading know how I feel about 'tacks. I just need to talk okay y'all. And this is my home so guess I'm allowed the room.

I'm watching a movie called Mermaids with Cher, Winona Ryder, Bob Hoskins and Christina Ricci. The movie is a chick flick so I figure none of the male readers probably saw it but there was this scene where President Kennedy was assassinated and it made me wander from the movie.

Can y'all remember where you were and what you felt? I was called into the cafeteria where we were greeted by our principal who was notably crying. When he told us he'd been assassinated the room became still. Our principal was crying in front of us, this guy would never do such a thing normally, that impressed us more than the words at first. But then the words sunk in. He told us school was dismissed and we all left kind of lost.

You know those sci-fi movies where the town is deserted. Well it was like that, I lived in Miami and was walking home amongst normally busy shops and homes but instead what few I saw were quiet or their heads were bowed crying. I was a youth, but that was what I saw in people. Then I walked in the house to find my mother ironing in front of the television and her tears were being ironed into my father's dress shirt.

Seems life has always had heartache and destruction. And when our state of Ohio lost all 6 of those Marines on Monday that was a sad day for us.

But with all these things there has also been good days and strides made in medical advancement and when allowed airspace which provides us with solutions to earth bound needs. **

Call it looking for things that say it'll work out, it always has and until it ain't suppose to (?) it always will. I have my own concerns with this war I reckon.

**I'm listening to a couple DJ's this morning and there relaying the repair of the space shuttle. One of them said imagine this everything you need to fix a space shuttle can be bought at Wal*Mart. They have duct tape and scissors (and one other thing I forgot).

Then the female of the two said I think they have some concern about backing into something while doing this. She said knowing me I'd knock something off and then go um, was that piece necessary?

Okay I just wanting to talk. I'll try not to make a habit of it.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree George it was like time had taken on a direction that none had control to steer. Whether you liked the man or not you were affected.

And that was part of my thinking last night; life has had and will continue to have hardships. It's what we do with them that counts. I hit it right on sometimes and sometimes I fail miserably. I could give you written affirmations from my lifesaver. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

Iwas outside at recess in 6th grade when we were called in and given the news. Mrs. Burke had as all lay our heads on our desks, which became quite a topic of remembrance at a school reunion 30 years later.

Me and Steve Page, were given the task of lowering the flag to half mast. The rest of the week was a somber time with every tv channel showing nothing but the aftermath.

My parents got rid of the 'first family' comedy record, the one that made Vaughn Meader famous as Pres Kennedy, and was my first favorite comedy album, though I didn't understand 80% of the topical humor. I recently listened to the 'First family' again, and it was interesting to finally understand the jokes.

It was the one incident that shook me and my contemporaries out of the innocence of the late 50's , early 60's 'innocence'. The Beatles and Marvel Comics were soon to usher me into the 60's, and the horrors of Viet nam, assasinations,and civil uprising. I could also not have foreseen becoming a long haired, pot smoking teen, who could barely function in the 'real world', and was desperate for answers, but that's another story.

I don't know if it's an overstatement to say that Kennedy's death was a turning point for myself and the country, but if it's not, I don't know what is.

hiway29, your post well describes how his death effected you. And that 'innocence' you mentioned. I've thought one of the worst things for our children was 9/11 in regards to lost innocence. But I may have over dramatized that, as it appears we all may have some point in history that aided in our loss.

I realize this is a serious matter I brought to the table and do appreciate no one has scolded me thus far. But it seems nostalgia may include impacts due to what may be seen as good or bad nostalgia events. Does that make sense I wonder.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

My parents got rid of the 'first family' comedy record, the one that made Vaughn Meader famous as Pres Kennedy, and was my first favorite comedy album, though I didn't understand 80% of the topical humor. I recently listened to the 'First family' again, and it was interesting to finally understand the jokes.

I really loved the album, too. (I think I still have it around, somewhere.) My favorite skits were the one with John complaining that Bobby and Ted were using "his" voice and the one where baby John-John stops the Cuban missile crisis by picking up a phone call from Khruschev and bawling at him!

As a side note, with the death of JFK, Meader's career went into a tailspin and he nearly died from drug abuse. He turned himself around in the mid-'70's by doing bicentennial stuff. (His John Adams sounded remarkably like JFK. wink2.gif;)-->) I believe he died a year or two ago.

George

I've always been moved by that song, especially back when it was so close to the events.

My father had a passing friendship with Martin Luther King. My father organized an event at his college that King was particapating in, and would stop by to say 'hello' to my dad when he was passing thru.

I didn't know about it until after King was killed. The day King was shot ,I made some wiseass comment about it , and was shocked to see my father, who never lost his temper, jump all over me. Makes me wonder what else I never knew about my father.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

I've always been moved by that song, especially back when it was so close to the events.

My father had a passing friendship with Martin Luther King. My father organized an event at his college that King was particapating in, and would stop by to say 'hello' to my dad when he was passing thru.

I didn't know about it until after King was killed. The day King was shot ,I made some wiseass comment about it , and was shocked to see my father, who never lost his temper, jump all over me. Makes me wonder what else I never knew about my father.

That was touching hiway29, especially Makes me wonder what else I never knew about my father.

I knew what song it was before I heard it also. I was in 6th grade (guess that makes us about the same age Hiway). I was coming in after lunch & there was a tv on in the room. Then the teacher came in to explain what happened and how it might effect us & sent us home.

quote:
Originally posted by ChattyKathy:

...if so there was a black veiled lady in the middle. If not well what can I say. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And not to bring up a sad subject but.....

So did the dog get eaten by that gator?

No black veil...just an old drunk...

After the hurricanes last year there was a makeshift dam that formed in the canal behind her house from some fallen trees and stuff. The state was suppose to clean it out last year, and never did. Everyone in the community had heard a Gator cackling out there and the gaming commision said that they were just old people hearing a frog, and blew them off.

Well, old Doofus, mom's silky terrier went out back to do his business and eat some sawgrass by the canal and...you know the rest.

We had a doggie funeral for the foot they found on the bank... The state game division came to see her, and said that several small pets in the area had disappeared, and they believed it was an eagle, rather than a gator. After she told them about the foot, they changed their tune and decided to send a crew out to clean the dam out of the canal.

I'm really sorry for Doofus. I mean that really is a rough way to go, good lord!

Ahh, I see I should have taken the properties literally then and not assumed he was one of three parties with the black veil in the center. You must be talking about dear ole Teddy. confused.gif

My folks live on an inland water source that filters from somewhere continually in a small capacity. So it keeps this small lake for lack of better word behind their home full of water but also allows access to things they'd rather not have. They've had to have one taken out so far because it came up on shore to sunbathe in the day and when my stepfather would mow the grass it would not move and it started to get aggressive with him. Okay now here is the part where any normal person would go gator lives in water and sunbathes on my back yard, its gone! but he seems to like these critters and always has. Well my mother said that's it the thing is gone and took it upon herself to call to have it removed. They filmed and showed it on the news that night. Must have been one really slow night in news I figure. icon_smile.gif:)-->

But now they have another living there and until it gets aggressive they won't have it removed. They have no animals and none in the area have disappeared apparently.

When visiting I'll not go in the back at night.

Kathy,

That is the alltime saddest picture that I know of. Cute little John-John saluting his dad's casket, God it doesn't get anymore tear-jerking than that does it?

Did you know that Jackie still had a birthday party for John-John in the midst of all of that? I guess they still had decorations and ice cream and cake and presents in the upstairs of the White House all the while the Mrs. had to make preparations for Jack's funeral.

The lady was a lot tougher than she got credit for...

Geo,

Actually I found her to be a fascinating individual. She knew how to hold herself amongst the worst of circumstances. And I'm not calling her a perfect example by any means. But from what I knew of her she was an adornment about her husband rather than a distraction. He once said he had accompanied her to some country (England I think) rather than gone there as the president. She had won them over with her charm and he'd not been embarrassed to give her the credit.

I don't know dude, I guess I've zero room to speak but when a woman adds to a man rather than subtracts I find that admirable.

Oops! Serious alarm! This crap has got to go eh Geo!

Kathy