GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Bluzeman and ChattyKathy, thanks for the welcome!

I know the movie that the song "Layla" was in (you are still trying to guess it, eh?) BUT I peeked, I looked it up on google, is that permitted? What are the rules and regulations to joining in on this thread, there are too many pages for me to read, so if someone can kindly let me know, that would be great!

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cowgirl,

I'm fairly new here but my understanding (and I trust the guys will correct me if in error) is this:

1) Basic floor plan would be movie/television/radio/musicians etc here in link form. Or verbal clues are certainly welcomed and enjoyed if someone doesn't know how or doesn't care to put that much work into it (or like me has a glitch that I'm stomping my feet regarding so have not gone forward).

2) Everyone then guesses at the clue(s) in a way as to not give it away yet let the clue provider recognize they know the answer. That way the rest can continue to guess a bit longer until such time either the provider or someone else sees it's time to tell the answer and does. I suspect if the provider can inform the guesser it would be first preference but I've given that info away at times when I thought it was okay to do. That part is almost learn it while you go sort of thing as you get to know the clue provider better.

3) There is however great leniency when it comes to de-railing. I do it so often that someone will ask is this still the Nostalgia thread so in that I believe it to be home for me. Not only am I very involved with some of the posters behind the scene but it feels warm and welcomed to me here, a place where you can take your boots off and know you're amongst friends.

Thank you for seeing we do welcome new friends here. It is a joy to see you Cowgirl!

And yes that is still the question out there....the movie. :)

Kathy

Hey Cowgirl!

Everyone "googles" for an answer from time to time, especially when it has gone on awhile and no one seems to know the answer. Well, except me of course. I would NEVER resort to google. :biglaugh:

What we usually do if we know the answer is answer in clues, so to speak. But no one else seems to know this one so go for it!

Rick

Oh yes, sorry but I came back as I forgot to answer this question (and plain font :( cause I didn't want to work) but yes you can Google and if you do we usually say so. We'll give a clue and go but I had to Google it to find out, so that is certainly permitted. :)

:) Hey I answered the question at the same time you did Rick but I was too busy wondering why my dang face is gone again to hardly notice when I came back and thought I was adding to my post. And looks like we answered her in similar ways so I reckon I had some understanding. And just ignore me about the face thingee but I still would like to understand this google dude being online searching us out. What's up with that! :angry:

"GOODFELLAS"

ChattyKathy and Bluzeman, thanks for the rundown, two more questions..................is COUNTRY music (heehee) permitted? And can the movies, music etc. be fairly recent or do you have to go back a certain number of years, the reason I ask is, I notice there is another forum (Music, movies, humor) with two threads "Name that tune" and "Name that flick."

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

"Is it a clue to something?"

Yes, it was, Catola. It was one of the more memorable scenes in the movie, between Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta.

When I was living in Joisey, I would listen to Howard Stern. He would have Henry Hill on from time to time (the real life person the movie was based on). Ray Liotta NAILED Mr. Hill's laugh.

"I notice there is another forum (Music, movies, humor) with two threads "Name that tune" and "Name that flick."

Those threads are poseurs to the throne. There is only one true and apostolic nostalgia thread. :biglaugh:

Hey Cowgirl!!

Welcome :dance::dance::dance: Cowgirl!!!

We're sure glad to have you here, girl! You're pretty good, too, because *I* didn't know that movie was Goodfellas. Maybe you'll be good luck and bring the Weenie Roast Southeners here a bit of snow this year. We're crazy like that.. we LOVE snow.

My main thing has always been old TV themes. And I mean pretty old because I haven't watched much TV in the last 20 years. So here's a theme song just for you, Cowgirl. And since this was such a popular show, I'm posting the theme that came on at the END rather than the opening theme. Click HERE! and give clues or ask for some.

Sushi... YOU GO!!! Yeah!! We're "The One True Thread®" :P

sudo

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....................the words that go through my head when I hear that tune goes something like this "I'm movin' on uppppppppp" and the only thing that I can relate that to would have to be "Welcome back Kotter"

Am I close?

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

family1.jpg This has the son in the picture. :)

The snow was nice Cowgirl. I actually love it myself. Moon Girl perhaps it will be warm when you're here :rolleyes: although I love a white Christmas I will try and not want one this year :blink: oh my that was painful so I don't know if I can not want one or not :) but the heat works real well at Ted's. :D

"THE ONE TRUE THREAD®"

Hey guys!!

It's been a good weekend hasn't it? I was off yesterday because I was down at Oxford, MS seeing Arkansas beat us in football. But I had a great time partying in the Ole Miss Grove :dance:. OK.. I'll give it out.. the TV show was The Jeffersons but nearly everyone knew it, didn't they? It was a great show wasn't it? Anyone remember the line, "You want ME to get that?". Good help and all that.. hee-hee! I liked the way they made the Jeffersons wealthy after having them working class during All In The Family. It worked. It didn't work for Roseanne did it? After she won the lottery? Now for the theme song we all REMEMBER... click HERE!

In case ya'll been clicking on previous links... they're not working today because Rick's server is down. So he wanted me to post a question for everyone.. Remember that Layla link he posted from Goodfellas?? It was done by a band called Dereck and the Dominoes. It was a one album wonder but question is... who was playing the slide guitar?? Hint: He met a tragic fate.

sudo

Sushi,

After it's said who he is will you please tell me the work up for that clue?

And :offtopic:

I just got off the phone with my mother (oh btw Sushi you no longer are the sole recipient so relax cause I'll be windy) (oh btw Sushi, did you know that Chi-town didn't get it's name windy due to the strong winds that whip around those tall buildings off the lake) my gawd the beginning of this sentence is so far back I'll start over. So I just got off the phone with my mother and she certainly had my attention the full time. An old girlfriend of my son's whom has kept close with my mother had married some 5 years ago to a man no one understood the reason for. Well I never knew the man so have no opinion. Anyway they separated and this guy went a tad bonkers and began to act out a well planed attack that was going to take out at least her.

She works in a school and they had a lock down due to some of the actions leading up to his returning to the home they shared (when not separated) and his using the garage door opener which he had kept therefore was able to get into the house even though she had changed the locks and he parked in the garage and went into the house and shot himself dead.

Leading up to that he had done a few things and one that caused her boss to lock down the school was his (boss) having gone out when it had been reported there were flowers on her car and retrieving flowers and a note which he didn't read until back in the school and it said smile and turn around. :o And as he was entering the building he saw this person running between the cars and he was quite sure he knew what was in his hand so he immediately did a full lock down.

There are other details but those are the most prominent. Wild eh!

Rest well all, I'm gonna move away from this screen for the night.