The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy, that is too wild. Glad the former girlfriend is ok, relatively speaking. All the more reason to be very selective in relationships, huh???

OK, I apologize to Rick for taking so long to reply to his post of a week ago or so. Rick, it was my pleasure to speak to you on the phone. Kathy and I had a great time together. You just added a little spice to the mix!!!! Anyway, take care of yourself and maybe we can talk again sometime.

Hi Act2! And, the pleasure was all mine!

OK, how bout a couple more from Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs? Click HERE and HERE!.

Now way back on GS or maybe on Waydale, someone started a thread about "wimp" rock songs and a number of people mentioned the second one I posted here. Personally, I think it's a HELL of a jam, but that's just me.

Oh, and the totally awsome guitar player jamming along with Eric on that album? It's this dude.

b1b.jpg

Edited by Bluzeman

The male lead in that movie was bald before bald was 'in'.

I first heard that song at a high school 'production' of the play when I was 8 or 9. I loved the song and was smitten with the girl who sang it.

Speaking of high school productions, here's an off topic memory. My family always took long vacations in the summer, cross country to California one year, Europe one year, and several trips to Canada or Florida.

One night when I was around 9, my mother was on the phone and asked me if I wanted to go to Oklahoma. Well sure. What I didn't know was that she meant the play Oklahoma at the local high school, and I couldn't get out of it after I 'committed' myself. I remember wondering if I was dumb, or if my mother wasn't 'lame' for expecting to know it was a play. Fortunately, I enjoyed myself and was humming 'Oh What a Beautiful Morning' for days.

It's easy to see why one would think that is Julie Andrews, though it's not.

Act2,

It was one wild story. And it was sweet to see you here. :)

Sushi,

Geez! I even knew the answer and still didn't get your clue. Bong! :rolleyes:

Rick was surprised to learn this tonight but he said hey I make mistakes too ya know :P but the singer wasn't either Julie Andrews or Deborah Kerr believe it or not.

Nixon-Marni.jpegIt was Marni Nixon

And here's a blurb regarding it: While her most famous "collaboration" with Kerr was The King and I, she also sang a song for her in An Affair to Remember which co-starred Kerr and Cary Grant. (Nixon amusingly freezes Kerr's screen image while singing the dubbed song).

I may have missed something, in fact I think I did but I'll discover what it was in the morning.

Act2,

It was one wild story. And it was sweet to see you here. :)

Sushi,

Geez! I even knew the answer and still didn't get your clue. Bong! :rolleyes:

Rick was surprised to learn this tonight but he said hey I make mistakes too ya know :P but the singer wasn't either Julie Andrews or Deborah Kerr believe it or not.

]It was Marni Nixon

And here's a blurb regarding it: While her most famous "collaboration" with Kerr was The King and I, she also sang a song for her in An Affair to Remember which co-starred Kerr and Cary Grant. (Nixon amusingly freezes Kerr's screen image while singing the dubbed song).

I believe that I referred to Marni dubbing Julie Andrews's voice in a previous post. I think I was corrected in that regard, although their voices are VERY similar. (I think I actually had an LP of "Mary Poppins" songs that Marni "covered.") Marni DID dub Audrey Hepburn's voice in "My Fair Lady."

George

Good Morning All

Kathy

It's probably just by default. After all, since he's a guy, he must have done something. ;) (No, I'm not starting a man bashing thread, just in a weird mood this morning. :rolleyes: )

Hey, no problem! See, I was married, so I'm USED to everything that is wrong in life being my fault! :biglaugh:

Rick(Running and ducking!)

Rick,

You can apologize all you want to but the fact of the matter is that you've posted from a great movie, IMO. In fact.. I think you've brought to light something we ALL are interested in... movie songs.. and how they were produced, dubbed and generally became so much a part of our culture.

I've gone out and found a tune from another fine movie that is a part of our culture that we all know had some songs dubbed. Heck... that's part of the movie isn't it? Click HERE! and have at it! Who's the singer? What's the movie?? Who were the actors? Whatever..

One of these fine days, and it could be when we are all retired so we have the time.. I'd love to have a Nostalgia get-together somewhere so that we could watch some classic movies and TV shows and such on a big screen. Pop up a ton of popcorn and have "I remember when" discussions. If all goes to plan, I'll be retired in about 15 years :dance:.

sudo

I've gone out and found a tune from another fine movie that is a part of our culture that we all know had some songs dubbed. Heck... that's part of the movie isn't it? Who's the singer? What's the movie?? Who were the actors? Whatever..

The classic was West Side Story with Natalie Wood (she didn't sing, wasn't it Marni Nixon? She dubbed in many movies.) and Rita Moreno. Russ Tamblin (Side bar: His daughter was in Joan of Arcadia, while he did some guest appearances as God.) was also in it.

Edited by moony3424

I love West Side Story. I was never wild about Richard Beymer as Tony, though. He didn't seem like he could EVER have been a gang leader. His counterpart George Chakiris however, was just fine.

One day in the way, I watched the movie on tv with a friend. He usually only watched action movies, and commented at the end that it was a good movie except for the singing and dancing. :asdf:

Kathy

It's probably just by default. After all, since he's a guy, he must have done something. ;) (No, I'm not starting a man bashing thread, just in a weird mood this morning.

Well I was being mean cause he hadn't done a thing and he'd have to travel far to catch up to what I've done to him. <_<

Hey, no problem! See, I was married, so I'm USED to everything that is wrong in life being my fault!

Rick(Running and ducking!)

So I can blame you in the future....hey you just handed it over dude! :P

Hey Rick;

Yep if it ain't your fault guess I'm next in line

That's why we got a rght to sing the blues

Rick I ain't going to post it cause I know better but if you feel so inclined ,how about BB'S tune Paying The Cost

Don't encourage him and I still have your house and car keys. Um, do I have to give them back now? :D

Sudo,

Looks like it's been guessed. And hubby just said perhaps South Pacific then agreed it probably was what the guess just was.

And your idea about a Nostalgia get-together sounds wonderful! :)

Hi Moon Girl....shall I mail the keys to you? ;)

PS...I took y'all smilies out cause it said I had too many.