GreaseSpot Cafe

The L.E.A.D. accident. What happened?

HCW

• 1 year later...

I haven't finished reading this entire thread but I must say this is enlightening. Thanks HCW for sharing. My final year in residence during Rodeo School about 40% of the people in that event got injurred. Some seriously. I was among them. But because there were no outward injuries I was subjected to having my injuries attended to by prayer only.

When I got home I was allowed to visit the chiropractor who was sanctioned by the Way because he himself was a Corps grad. He charged me 5 dollars a visit which I had to take out of my monthly allowance. Many weeks I had to see him multiple times. On 30 dollars a month you can imagine my laundry piling up. Thank God it was toward the end of the year and I smudged a little and went over.

When the Doctor x-rayed me he found a bruised heart, liver, diaphram, and gall bladder. My ribs where pulled away from my sternum, and my ankle was broken. I never had a cast to protect my ankle and since it was so close to the rock I had to work doing physical labor. If I complained I was told I was weak. I did have a work co-ordinator that would allow me to sneak into his office and lay down if the pain got too intense, and he also took me to see the Way's doctor when I was in such pain that I couldn't stand it. The doctor told me I should not be doing any physical labor but everyday I was forced to rake, and shovel and whatever else needed to be done.

4 years ago I had to have my gall bladder removed. 2 years ago I had to have open heart surgery. I had a tumor lodged in the right ventricle of my heart. I was told it was due to an injury that prompted scar tissue to form and eventually that scar tissue became a living tumor. I had it removed, it was benign but it caused an upheaval in my life that you just can't even begin to imagine. Homelessness was the end result. Here I was a single mom with 3 kids and no where to live. And all because the Way frowned on getting our physical matters taken care of.

I read this post and I want to cry for all those involved in such a devastating experience. It reminds me of a Stephen King novel, and living through that had to have also caused psychological issues as well. Howard I am truly amazed at how healthy you are and how you are able to talk about this topic with us. I can't say thank you enough, and reading this I can allow myself to realize that I was NOT weak because I was unable to handle those tasks without pain.

THANK YOU!!!!!

HCW.

Love the Borg references. Resistance is futile.

Sorry so many seem to be attacking you.

Know that some of us appreciate you sharing your experience and the rest should realize that eyewitness accounts are told from the point of view of the eye witness. It took a lot of courage for you to come out here and do this and I for one wanted to let you know I don't question your motive for doing this or your opinion of what happened. That is for you to sort through for yourself.

On the other hand I appreciate you recounting the story for the MANY that did not have even an incling of an understanding as to what happened that day and now some of the details have been laid out for us thanks to your willingness to share.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
HCW - there's some history here that you might not be completely aware of.<BR><BR>oldiesman is pretty much pro-twi, and in general has a very 2-dimensional point of view.<BR><BR>Satori is absolutely not the first to tell him that he may be incapable of understanding.<BR><BR>Just look up any threads that include the subject of women being victims due to TWI unwritten policy, or any thread about adultery or coerced sex, and you'll see what I mean.<BR><BR>Heck, if you were to ask Rascal her opinion about oldiesman, she would likely echo that sentiment.<BR><BR>As would I.

I haven't finished reading this entire thread but I must say this is enlightening. Thanks HCW for sharing. My final year in residence during Rodeo School about 40% of the people in that event got injurred. Some seriously. I was among them. But because there were no outward injuries I was subjected to having my injuries attended to by prayer only.

When I got home I was allowed to visit the chiropractor who was sanctioned by the Way because he himself was a Corps grad. He charged me 5 dollars a visit which I had to take out of my monthly allowance. Many weeks I had to see him multiple times. On 30 dollars a month you can imagine my laundry piling up. Thank God it was toward the end of the year and I smudged a little and went over.

When the Doctor x-rayed me he found a bruised heart, liver, diaphram, and gall bladder. My ribs where pulled away from my sternum, and my ankle was broken. I never had a cast to protect my ankle and since it was so close to the rock I had to work doing physical labor. If I complained I was told I was weak. I did have a work co-ordinator that would allow me to sneak into his office and lay down if the pain got too intense, and he also took me to see the Way's doctor when I was in such pain that I couldn't stand it. The doctor told me I should not be doing any physical labor but everyday I was forced to rake, and shovel and whatever else needed to be done.

4 years ago I had to have my gall bladder removed. 2 years ago I had to have open heart surgery. I had a tumor lodged in the right ventricle of my heart. I was told it was due to an injury that prompted scar tissue to form and eventually that scar tissue became a living tumor. I had it removed, it was benign but it caused an upheaval in my life that you just can't even begin to imagine. Homelessness was the end result. Here I was a single mom with 3 kids and no where to live. And all because the Way frowned on getting our physical matters taken care of.

I read this post and I want to cry for all those involved in such a devastating experience. It reminds me of a Stephen King novel, and living through that had to have also caused psychological issues as well. Howard I am truly amazed at how healthy you are and how you are able to talk about this topic with us. I can't say thank you enough, and reading this I can allow myself to realize that I was NOT weak because I was unable to handle those tasks without pain.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I am soooo sorry! I knew a 10th Corps Grad who went throught the same thing. She was injured in VA on her interim year and told to go to a pfal grad chiropractor. She also sustained serious injuries that were never treated by a physician. They finally ended up black balling her and accusing her of being gay after she graduated. I hope she finally got the treatment she needed and is healthy now.

• 3 months later...
Ok. Why write about this? Some people will want to know about it, some peole do wonder about it. Some have been lied to about it. It was spoken about briefly then swept under the TWI carpet.<BR><BR>My dear friend Rochelle died from events linked directly back to it. Many were injured, some very severely. I was later told by a more than one Chiropractor that I should have been killed by the blow I took in "the accident."<BR>Why write about it? Why not let sleeping dogs lay? Mostly because I think Rochelle's life had worth to God. In the relatively short time I knew her she became like a little sister to me.<BR><BR>I think people should know the truth.<BR><BR>This is not a story. I won't exaggerate or embellish the facts to make for more interesting reading. The story itself is compelling enough. I don't carry these memories around in the forefront of my mind. Much of what I will write is directly from my journal and as such it might feel like it happened "yesterday." It literally was yesterday in the sense that I wrote in my journal about it the day after. The images were fresh in my mind then.<BR><BR>I don't have a problem naming names giving dates or throwing in my opinions about what happened. As I'm wont to say, "I aint afraid a no ghosts." I don't care what TWI currently thinks or what anyone says about it.<BR><BR>I was there. <BR><BR>Come, if you will, let's take a ride back to October 19, 1982 to an event in TWI history that I believe should have been cannonized in the History of The Way Corps with some sort of title like "Lest we forget...."<BR><BR>If TWI was 1% the ministry that say they are, God's ministry, they would never have allowed the memory of what happened that hot day in October to be forgotten.<BR><BR>Fasten you seat belts gang.

Brought to the top for new arrivals.

(Click on little red arrow at top/right to go to start of thread.)

Edited by waysider

These are heartbreaking incidents, many of which were not known to most people in the ministry at the time they happened. Too bad stories like this did not make it into the newspapers. Perhaps investigations could have been done that would've stopped further such activities of twi.

Perhaps if we keep typing away on GSC, we can make a dent in the numbers of people who get involved with twi in any way shape or form.

peace,

penworks

These are heartbreaking incidents, many of which were not known to most people in the ministry at the time they happened. Too bad stories like this did not make it into the newspapers. Perhaps investigations could have been done that would've stopped further such activities of twi.

Perhaps if we keep typing away on GSC, we can make a dent in the numbers of people who get involved with twi in any way shape or form.

peace,

penworks

I sure hope we can make a difference.Did not make any difference in twi thats for sure!

Bottom Line ... for the most part, LEAD and Rodeo School were not manned by folks that cared about anything but promoting their ego at the expense of others ... US! I remember the stupidity of "the rocks don't care" that I heard at LEAD ... and I remember thinking, "and I don't care about the rocks either."

Christianity is the way of a loving Father with his family ... a loving father would never FORCE people to go to something like LEAD ... and if one of his children was hurt by voluntarily participating in Rodeo School, he would do whatever it took to take care of them and ensure their complete recovery.

So glad I'm out!

I generally don't pay much attention to these discussions, but last night at about 10:30 or 11, I wandered into this thread.

I finally finished at about 3AM. This is the most interesting, telling and compelling thing I've read at the GSC or at Waydale.

It made me realize just how much on the periphery of TWI I was.

The first thing is, no matter HOW you slice it, responsibility goes straight to the feet of the BOT. Even that poor guy who walked in front of the semi...what the hell was the point of making all those people HITCH HIKE across from Kansas to New Mexico. The guy, probably with little or no sleep...hitch hiking with his wife...probably a little dazed or "out of it"...well, I can easily see it happening.

Why? Because the powers that be were too damned cheap or whatever to provide transportation. Yes, the BOT is culpable.

Even the most rigorous wilderness survival training doesn't require the participant to hitch hike across the country with $10 they can't spend and a sack lunch just to get there...that's totally insane.

I do believe, now, that when Jesus Christ returns that He WILL be holding a copy of the orange book (borrowing from another thread), for our benefit, anyway, and proceed to shove it up the authors foot, demanding "How DARE you misrepresent Me this way and use it to hurt and abuse those who wanted nothing more than to be faithful to Me?".

And Rochelle will be on the front row!

Thanks for the thread HCW. I really respect you and your bravery, compassion and candor. The whole thing was very enlightening and appalling.

HW, Greetings. It has been a long time since we talked and I am glad to see you are well.

It took some time to finish reading this thread and I was taken back to the slice of time and the events that I experienced when the L.E.A.D. accident occurred. It is amazing what some have concluded from this read.

Most of what you have shared was known among those I associated with at the time. I do not think there was an effort to suppress the facts and information regarding the accident since many people were involved. It was treated as a very unfortunate accident and the injured were treated with great care, privacy and protected from my perspective. In fact, there were concerted actions taken to avoid repeat accidents by any TWI Staff. First of all, passengers were no longer placed into trailers or allowed to ride on the back of any TWI vehicle including golf carts. Larger trucks with covered beds were purchased for L.E.A.D. that could seat more passengers. At my L.E.A.D., after the accident, vans transported everyone to and from the pickup point. The trucks only carried supplies and extra luggage. People were not even allowed to sit in the covered pickup bed. Everyone was seated in a proper seat. Also, there was a speed limit imposed while traveling on the access road to the highway. Now, it is obviously common sense but these types of accidents occur frequently in So. Cal with pickup trucks packed with people and a simple fender bender escalates to a tragic accident. There was an incident a few years back were an entire high school water polo team while partying was almost killed when their Suburban overturned when it when off the road. My TWI experience included too many people dying or injured in avoidable traffic accidents and also dealing with spousal abuse, drug overdoses, suicides, illnesses, adultery, pregnancies, AIDS and other incidents within the believer household. I remember when a limb leader, in a moment of mindlessness with a staple gun, shot a staple into someone’s hand. It was laughable a few hours later after medical care was applied but quite a shock at the time. I guess what I am saying is that accidents did happen since we were involved with people in our efforts to learn from the Bible and better ourselves. We all experienced life growing up together in pleasant and unpleasant circumstances by our own volition. There is no doubt the L.E.A.D accident was avoidable on many levels and it affected many. However, I do not see the point of exacting a ‘pound of flesh’ from or for anyone. I empathize with your memory for Rochelle as a ‘brother’ but also respect the privacy of her family including her brother whom I do not recall asking for inquiries, seeking restitution, or foment a public, or ‘bloggy’ action then or now. Such a response by her family is for their consideration while the suggestion from others is the action of busybodies. Maybe we should literally consider the appropriate term in this situation and have Rochelle and the whole matter ‘Rest In Peace’. We will see her when Christ returns. Thanks for the post.

Take care, H.

I don't know how well you knew Rochelle, but I knew her very well. What was done to her, how she was run out of HQ, their total lack of concern for her, the lies about her suicide - all appalling.

When I told M.F*rt her blood was upon his head - it was true. Then and now. I still don't know how they live with themselves.

Don't minimize TWI's involvement and hand in Rochelle's death.

Her brother was a good guy. But he was a "company man." Of course he wasn't going to take any action against TWI. But he was devastated. Would it have been too much for MF, the people at the Indiana limb - those who saw how depressed and devastated she was, to call him, and say, come get her? Yes, it was too much, obviously.

She will always be like a dear little sister to me, and I will not let anyone minimize her, play it down, lie about it, or sweep it under the rug.

My first exposure to the L.E.A.D. accident and surrounding events came via GreaseSpot Cafe.

My personal feeling is that these events and details were deliberately hidden from the general populace of the ministry.

I have never seen a rebuttal from The Way, either, even though we are all quite aware they know the incident has been discussed here.

Her brother was a good guy. But he was a "company man." Of course he wasn't going to take any action against TWI. But he was devastated. Would it have been too much for MF, the people at the Indiana limb - those who saw how depressed and devastated she was, to call him, and say, come get her? Yes, it was too much, obviously.

She will always be like a dear little sister to me, and I will not let anyone minimize her, play it down, lie about it, or sweep it under the rug.

I predicted there would be aspersions directed toward her brother for the perception he did not or would not take the position suggested by some on this thread. He IS a good guy, a righteous man of integrity with a family of his own and undeserving of such a retched label. Yes, I knew Rochelle but was not close to her and did not know what was churning inside her mind but knew she was still experiencing pain from her injuries. I have known a few people who committed suicide including my cousin who jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge and did not suspect they were contemplating those thoughts during their final weeks or days. They were tackling problems but the thoughts of suicide were not considered in my youthful mind. It is a surprise and shock to those left behind but it was their decision, not mine nor anyone elses. IMHO, it is a trick to accept or cast blame onto the living survivors. There are a few on this thread who said they were close to her but still their actions did not prevent the outcome. Are they to blame for doing too little or too much? I would recommend watching Eric Steel's documentary 'The Bridge' as secular study on suicide and its effect on those left behind. Ciao for now.

If it was hidden, you would not have known about it. Too many people were involved to attempt such an effort. And you will never hear a official rebuttal. Too much time has past and it is not an issue to them, now. Most of the complaints regard actions of specific indivduals who doubtfully concern themselves with this site.