GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot Cafe -- Names we're known by (and icons)

Kit Sober

finally got through all the good stuff. great names.

IMBUS is a mis-spelling of IMBAS. If you read any of my post you will find loads of grammatical error. Im pretty typing illiterate too.

IMBAS is a gaelic word for "devine inspiration". I started getting into my heritage resently. After leaving twi and living with no direction for over ten years I finally cam back to my earthly family. Although my history with them was abusive I needed to have some roots somewhere. I started looking into my mothers heritage and found a place to belong. I read a book by Frank MacEowen called "The Mist-Filled Path" In it, it spoke of a spiriuality that resinated with me. Thus the word Imbas. To understand all the neuances you have to read the book.

ohhhhh...why the worm??? I love to read and ponder, not to mention that without the earth worm there would be no fertle ground for growth.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imbus, welcome...cool name.. I for one had been trying to figure out what it meant.. Thanks for telling us. Sorry to hear of your past troubles.. hope things improve soon.

The decisions we make today form our future.

• 2 weeks later...

I am ladycat.......because...........I am a lady... and my name is CAThy....so lady+cat...

I read more than I post. Someday I may tell my story. I am just happy I got out when I did (late 80's) before all the really horrible stuff went around. I was M&A before there was an M&A as not only was I a "dominering wife" but I liked to say "chapter and verse?" too much.

• 2 months later...

When I would occasionally post on WayDale, I used the pseudonymn lantrn because Green lantrn was always my favorite comic book hero. I had my '67 Chevelle painted green with his insignia on the hood. Unfortunately, Texas only allows six letters or numbers on a license plate, so I went for LANTRN. (The beauty of that, for comic-book afficionados, is that it can be pronounced "lantern" or "lantrin," as the 1940's Green Lantern was called by his sidekick.)

But I digress. I now simply use my own name. (Yes, that really IS my name!) I picked what to me looks like a spaceman avatar, because it was the most comic-book-y. If I figure out how to use the Green Lantern insignia (and hopefully avoid copyright issues), I'll probably change to that.

George St. George

I haven't picked an icon yet. I'm still working on getting a picture of Alex, my cat, to the right size etc., that it will work as an icon.

My name, ExWayDaryl, was thought up on the spot when I discovered Grease Spot Cafe.

My name really is Daryl. And I really do live in Franklin Park Illinois with my cat, and his name really is Alex. (His picture is posted in the "Every Picture Tells a Story" forum.

He's a good looking cat, too. Take a peek when you get the chance. He still thinks he's a tough little street cat, and that's fine. I know him better however. He's a total sweetheart when you get to know him.

ExWayDaryl

Lives in Franklin Park, Illinois with Alex, his cat (or is that "Alex lives with Daryl, his human"?)

Ha! Go figger!!!

I've been born again!! hahaha

I was relatively new anyway, and the old login was not good for anything, now I'm smurfette. I always liked those silly things. Figured that would work for a name. Catch you all around the forums.

Edited by smurfette

• 4 weeks later...

Def is for defense condition

I got the name DefCon 5 from a Grade B sci-fi flick. But when I signed up at ezboard it was taken.

So I added a number. Which is my birth year.

The name's Jim *••••••• no last names cuz the wife want's nothing to do with twi. So I will protect her privacy.

I didn;t actually intend to use my real name when I signed up!

Somehow I must have got something mixed up! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It was meant to be Cleftref which is a play on the Welsh spelling of Clever Trevor.

As to the icon - it was the best I could find at the time that hadn't already been used! icon_cool.gif

• 6 months later...

MATILDA is the first name of Matilda Hooligan, a name foisted upon me (in my childhood by my older sinister brother, Smut) with no less intention than to tease, torment, and antagonize me. Much to the great Smuterion's chagrin, I heard the song "Waltzing Matilda" sometime after he was mercilessly assaulting me with the name-calling...loved the song...changed my mind about the onus of being "Matilda."

Even now, a thousand years later, I embrace my tilderiffic heritage by giving it my sole cyber-identity. Viva la Smut!

p.s the reason MATILDA is in caps is becuz I was an incredible cyberflubup in daze of Waydale long gone...didn't know how to change it once I fell into the rabbit hole...lol.

quote:
Originally posted by socks:

George!St!George!

Green Lantern rocks!

Indeed. I've enjoyed all the various Green Lantern manifestations, though Hal Jordan was the one I grew up with. It would appear that DC is bringing him back as Green Lantern again icon_cool.gif (after destroying all time, space, and dimension as Parallax icon_eek.gif and then redeeming himself as the Spectre icon_smile.gif:)-->).

George

Really, coming back? Cool. I just remember the old DC Green Lantern.

What did you think of the movie "Unbreakable"? I liked it a lot. I noticed very young how all the super heroes were misplaced out of context people trying to balance their lives out. But then I always wondered where Caspar came from since he was obviously a kid.

socks - a computer term, with a phisophical component hard wired in, made of cotton. Washable, interminable, lost, but found.

well, when I first got on line, I owned 2 Alfa Romeos (the cars) and we had 2 cats and I really enjoy jazz so that all added up to alfakat(s) as a user name and email address. Now I own 3 Alfas and we had 3 cats a couple of times but are back at 2 now.

Sudo helped me with my avatar initially and after playing around with different looks I settled on this pic of an Alfa show car grille.

• 4 months later...

Second James to me is just a simple way of using my initials...JJ...I'm Jim Jackemeyer from Ft wayne Indiana..have nuthin' to hide from any WAYGB..I'm single..live on a small farm and have three grown kids. I realize that james was the brother of Jesus & since I do follow Christ ..I too am his brother...a "second james"...kniw nuthin' about whipping an icon under it! I enjoy many many of your posts & your honesty btw..very stimulating at times.JJ

• 4 weeks later...

I can never think of anything witty or imaginative, so I tend to stick with things that are fairly obvious or to the point. g and c are my initials, hence gc. My initials will be changing within the year to g.n. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> but I think I'll stick with the gc since I've had them for so long.

When I began on the internet and frequented irc my nick was Esther, after Queen Esther, and CajunPrincess. The CajunPrincess was for the way I wanted to be treated if I ever started dating again (after my divorce).

I haven't chosen an avatar yet. I have a picture that I use normally, but not sure if it is possible to use it here.

gc