GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Go Kristopher!

I love watching little ones play, Im not touching that bet!

I was 3rd base coach for my friends Tball team a few years back--

I spent most of the first few games running into left field to pick the kids up and aim them towards third. They would hit second and just keep going straight into left field. Also, I would get them ready to run home on contact - more kids than you think would just get so keyed up they'd take off for home without anything even happening. By the end of the year I had those kids running the bases like Maury Wills. Watching those kids enjoy the game as much as I used to, and passing it on to them was fantastic.

Edited by mstar1

Ha Ha I started Googling him for stats.

Good luck with that, a little piece of advice don't criticize him in front of your wife.

:biglaugh:

ahem... actually, I am "the wife"... :)

My handle, ChasUFarley is not my name. Chas is a chick. I've had this handle for 7 years now...

(Scheesch.... has it really be SEVEN year?!)

Anyhow...

Kristopher is also left-handed... (truthfully, I think he'll head to first base because 1st is closer to you if you hit left-handed, which he does.)

The tough thing is finding a left-handed glove small enough for him (he's also very petite - he looks about 4, size wise, but is going to be 6 in July...)

ahem... actually, I am "the wife"... :)

Well shut my mouth wide open.

Sorry about that, male chauvinist pig that I am.

Should be ashamed as the father of 3 girls to even assume it.

Don't worry he will do fine but you will be a nervous wreak.

Ha ha keep us updated we want stats.

Hits, runs, at bats, put outs, errors etc.

Kristopher has about 2,110 fans as of today. (GS registered users)

We should start a thread. And we want pictures, action shots.

Lov ya

Paul

awww thanks! :redface2:

I'm not the type of mom who gets upset when I see my little ones bumped or scraped. Of course, no one likes to see their kid get hurt, but you can't wrap 'em in cotton or bubble wrap...

I'm really looking forward to it - we've worked on batting and throwing. He's sooo left handed that it's not even funny. He's got a good swing and good form - he's pretty strong. He bopped me right on the forehead the other day with a quick pop. OW!

Right now we've got about 18" of snow on the ground and 3" more on the way tonight.

Sorta hard to think that t-ball starts in another month...

I just saw where at a local field here in NH, they were putting down black sand to melt the snow on the field - never heard of that before...

Baseball - yeah!!

Our local little league’s opening day is coming up in mid April – with a big parade followed by opening ceremonies attended by local politicos ( usually our US Congressman attends and throws out the first pitch) and a bunch of games.

This is my son’s third year doing little league, and he’s jazzed to be on a AAA team. At almost 9 yrs. old, he’s again the youngest, and about the littlest, on his team. He’s feisty and approaches the game with a passion. He loves playing infield, vacuuming up grounders.

It’s a pleasure working with this team – we’ve got a great mix of coaches and players. Plus I get to run around, throw, and hit with them.

Per

Just ONCE I'd like to see MLB do an experiment. They could have Talking Heads lead singer David Byrne in the booth as an analyst. He wouldn't talk about the intricacies (sp) of the game, he'd make philosophical comments on top of what the play by play guy would say. For example...

Broadcaster: Here's the pitch; SWING and a miss. Manny Ramirez whiffs at a breaking ball. He's coming off a super season...

Byrne: How did I GET this .300 average?

Broadcaster: Next pitch; outside, ball 3.

Byrne: How did I GET these 50 home runs?

Broadcaster: Pitcher steps off the mound...

Byrne: SAME AS IT EVER WAS...

Broadcaster: ...grabs the rosen ba..

That'd be cool!

Just ONCE I'd like to see MLB do an experiment. They could have Talking Heads lead singer David Byrne in the booth as an analyst. He wouldn't talk about the intricacies (sp) of the game, he'd make philosophical comments on top of what the play by play guy would say. For example...

Broadcaster: Here's the pitch; SWING and a miss. Manny Ramirez whiffs at a breaking ball. He's coming off a super season...

That'd be cool!

That'd be cool! Hmm, don't know how that happened.

Edited by johniam

One of the joys of listening to Vin Scully, is that he doesn't work with an analyst or 'color' person. It's just you , Vin, and the game, minus the endless 'banter' that is now the norm. Vin knows when to speak, and just as important, when not to.

Not that there aren't good broadcast teams. I always enjoy John Miller and Joe Morgan. I'm sure there are others , but usually there is at least one commentator who never shuts up, speaks in cliches, and seems to be trying too hard.

One week from opening day. Best time of year. Spring, baseball, and all is right with the world .

Opening Day is less than week away, and it's dead as a doornail in here. What does it mean ? And what does 'dead as a doornail' mean ?

Dead as a doornail? I dunno...

However, THIS I know... very windy in the Cactus League today. Apparently, in Tucson, the wind was blowing out. Good for batters, bad for pitchers. Arizona 13, Colorado 9. You'd think they were playing at Coors Field, or on a windy day at Wrigley.

Scott Hairston (from a baseball family), who's been with the D'backs off and on for the last 3-4 years, found out today he's made the team for opening day. Hairston celebrated by hitting 3 HRs!

Can you just hear the first umpire of the new season yell, "PLAY BALL!"?

One thing I miss about living in Chicagoland is that even if there were snow flurries blowing around on opening day---oops--forgot to capitalize it---Opening Day---,it was an Holy Day,...a good day,...an indication that the bleak,depressing winter had ended,and new hopes and dreams lied in wait for the summer ahead....Even though,by the time opening day ended,the Cubs would revert to their annual motto of 'wait 'til next year',it wasn't all about the wins and the losses,but relaxing and enjoying that part of life that went beyond the drudgery of day-to-day responsibilities...

I suppose living in Arizona,being quite the Spring Training mecca,as well as having year round baseball weather,I've kind of taken Opening Day for granted...But I am anticipating another good season,and I'm sure as more things start happening on the diamond,there will be more to talk about...

I did take a road trip with my brother a couple of weeks ago,to Bisbee,Arizona and came across an old ballfield that was built in 1908!....It had burned down and been rebuilt,but was still standing and was currently being used by the highschool for it's baseball team...Lessee if the pics come out...post-636-1175057951_thumb.jpgpost-636-1175058015_thumb.jpg

One thing I miss about living in Chicagoland is that even if there were snow flurries blowing around on opening day---oops--forgot to capitalize it---Opening Day---,it was an Holy Day,...a good day,...an indication that the bleak,depressing winter had ended,and new hopes and dreams lied in wait for the summer ahead....Even though,by the time opening day ended,the Cubs would revert to their annual motto of 'wait 'til next year',it wasn't all about the wins and the losses,but relaxing and enjoying that part of life that went beyond the drudgery of day-to-day responsibilities...

I suppose living in Arizona,being quite the Spring Training mecca,as well as having year round baseball weather,I've kind of taken Opening Day for granted...But I am anticipating another good season,and I'm sure as more things start happening on the diamond,there will be more to talk about...

I did take a road trip with my brother a couple of weeks ago,to Bisbee,Arizona and came across an old ballfield that was built in 1908!....It had burned down and been rebuilt,but was still standing and was currently being used by the highschool for it's baseball team...Lessee if the pics come out...

The pics work... I was able to download them and look at them... :)

As to the Cubs... I understand that Wood is injured again...? Is that right? :confused:

As to the Cubs... I understand that Wood is injured again...? Is that right? :confused:

I saw him pitch on tv Sunday and he got lit up like a Vegas slot machine in relief---gave up 3 runs in one inning I think.....My gut opinion is that he and the Cubbies are just not a good match...

BTW,how do you like my yellow WOWmobile?

I saw him pitch on tv Sunday and he got lit up like a Vegas slot machine in relief---gave up 3 runs in one inning I think.....My gut opinion is that he and the Cubbies are just not a good match...

BTW,how do you like my yellow WOWmobile?

It's RAD! (or... grooooovy?)

Less than 5 days, 14 hours to First Pitch on Opening Day! (for the D'backs).

I guess it's a good thing he wasn't as good a "closer" as, say Gagne was that one year!

Urbina gets 14 years in prison

Former Major League Pitcher Urbina Sentenced To 14 Years In Venezuelan Prison For Attempted Murder

March 28, 2007 2:51 p.m. EST

Eric Williams - All Headline News Sports ReporterCaracas, Venezuela (AHN) - Former Major League Baseball pitcher Ugueth Urbina found out Wednesday that he is being sentenced to 14 years in prison for being found guilty of attempted murder in his homeland of Venezuela.

The Attorney General's Office announced Wednesday that Urbina was sentenced to nearly a decade and a half in jail for attempting to murder five workers on his family's ranch.

Urbina, who last pitched in the majors for the Philadelphia Phillies in 2005, was also found guilty of illegal deprivation of liberty and violating a prohibition against taking justice into his own hands.

"I am very disappointed and upset," his agent, Peter Greenberg, said. "We're hopeful that the judicial process will exonerate Uggie. I firmly believe he's innocent."

Urbina, 33, was accused of joining a group of men in attacking and injuring workers with machetes and pouring gasoline on them at his family's ranch, which lies approximately 25 miles south of Caracas.

The former reliever claimed that he was sleeping at the time of the alleged attack.

Both, Urbina's former attorney and his present one, agreed that Urbina is getting the short end of a slippery stick.

"The ruling was too severe," said Jose Antonio Baez, a former attorney who represented Urbina.

Jose Luis Tamayo, Urbina's present lawyer, explained Urbina's side of the story, saying Urbina surprised workers at the ranch by showing up that night while they were bathing in the pool without permission.

Urbina allegedly spoke sharply to the workers, but later left and went to sleep, according to Tamayo.

Urbina pitched for the Montreal Expos, Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Phillies and Detroit Tigers in his MLB career.

Urbina ranks 30th on the career saves list with 237 with two of those two saves coming in the 2003 World Series for the victorious Marlins.

In 11 major league seasons, Urbina posted a 44-49 record with a 3.45 ERA. He also led the National League with 41 saves in 1999 for the then Montreal Expos and was third in the AL with 40 saves for the Boston Red Sox in 2002.

</FONT>

Gagne was good for a couple of years.

The following is just me griping about something somewhat trivial, but if I can't gripe here about baseball junk here, where can I ?

Baseball owners never cease to amaze me. Frank McCourt, Dodgers owner, has decided to 'improve' the parking lot, by having people direct you to a specified spot. There are several entrances to Chavez Ravine, and now you have to park and exit from the entrance you came in. Oh, and he's raised the parking fee from 10 to 15 bucks for the privilege. It now costs more to park than many seats.

This only screws up thousands of fans who know exactly where , when and how to park. I always knew if I got to the park a little early, I could find a spot that made for an easy exit. Those spots were at a different gate than where I entered, as there is no simple way of going home from the gate I enter. Now I'll be herded wherever they attendant tells me to go, and hope I don't get stuck in the jam later.

I'm also sure the senior citizens and those who can't walk well will love parking in the outer lots that are really some distance away, or climb the several steep inclines depending on where your seat is. Oh-and if your gate section is filled, they won't let you enter the park. You'll have to drive around to another gate and hope they will let you in.

I guess McCourt never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Actually I'd be ok paying an extra 5 bucks if they'd clean up all the broken glass in the parking lot. I've seen the same broken beer bottles sit for entire seasons. Dodging broken glass is part of the process, and I'm going to make sure some attendant doesn't steer me over a broken bottle.

I know there are more important things to complain about. I'll get over it.

Hiway... I understand. It's a b1tch!

Sounds like the start of the season's going to be chaotic for the fans.

IF there's ANY consolation, sometimes changes can be undone... the NBA ball comes to mind. For some odd reason, they changed the ball at the start of the current season. Everyone hated it. So, they changed back. Only it took two months of struggle before "fixing" the problem.

The more I hear about McCourt the more he sounds like a world class idiot, but ...on the otherhand (which I know is no consolation)

I could say 'Gees you got parkin? Im payin at least $40.00 and handing my keys to some dude who could be the neighborhood crack dealer for all I know, everytime I want to park--and then I still have half a mile at least to walk..."

Maybe you'd feel better if you let your inner NewYorker out on someone in the front office. I do every once in awhile and occassionally it nets some results. If not at least I get to vent

:realmad: my frustrations on some poor soul and I feel a little better

I read that Nomar and Mia just had twins, Id be concerned how Nomars gonna play with about 10 minutes of sleep a night this year

Edited by mstar1

I thought of mstar and Fenway as I was ranting, and agree that things are alot worse in old metropolitan parks. That's part of the price paid for maintaining Fenway, (and Wrigley).

The Dodger Stadium lot has functioned quite well for over 40 years. It is now a burden where one didn't exist.

The more I hear about McCourt the more he sounds like a world class idiot, but ...on the otherhand (which I know is no consolation)

I could say 'Gees you got parkin? Im payin at least $40.00 and handing my keys to some dude who could be the neighborhood crack dealer for all I know, everytime I want to park--and then I still have half a mile at least to walk..."

Maybe you'd feel better if you let your inner NewYorker out on someone in the front office. I do every once in awhile and occassionally it nets some results. If not at least I get to vent

:realmad: my frustrations on some poor soul and I feel a little better

I read that Nomar and Mia just had twins, Id be concerned how Nomars gonna play with about 10 minutes of sleep a night this year

Hey Mstar,

You might remember I had told you the Dbacks had some tickets for only one dollar/game...

I just found out that is NOT true anymore. Those seats are now $5 (five dollars).

What a drag. I'll still watch just about all the games on TV.

O No 5 bucks? what is this world coming to?

The Red Sox not only have the highest ticket prices in the majors but they are next to impossible to get at face value, The entire season is already totally sold out, ticket agencies and scalpers have the only 'ins' 'to gobble up any nonseason ticket holder tickets, so unless you are close in and have a connection (which I am not anymore), have business with some corporation that has tickets or are just plain extremely lucky, you pay through the nose..

HERE'S an average link to buy early season, midweek tickets against the Mariners from a ticket agency. Box seat $1495.00 each down to obstructed view standing room at $195.00 each.

Thats just one ticket, bring a date or god forbid a coupla kids, park and allthe extras and ...well...its

truely obscene.

There is a part of me that wishes that the Red Sox would s u c k for a few years, so all the people who have showed up in the last 4-5 years would leave, things could get somewhat back to normal, and you could walk into the park whenever you felt like it and enjoy a game without mortgaging your future.

Being the 40th anniversary of the 67 RedSox Impossible Dream Pennant Winners, I hunted down my World Series Stub. It was $3.25 to sit about 20 Rows right behind first.

There is something vastly wrong when you can afford great seats at a World Series game when you are 12, but even mediocre seats at a regular season game is a stretch when you are 51