and 'Light My Fire' and he think he's

good

Oh, NO MORE...please... this is killing

me!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...we were told by Vee Pee that Corps Week and ROA were a "spiritual priority," thus making it necessary for all vacation time be used to go there every August.

Sometimes a job had to be sacrificed for those ALL IMPORTANT two weeks in August.

It also meant no "normal" vacations.

I liked the Rock in the early days but it turned into another requirement.

quote:
People in Cushman's thinking they're

disturbingly very important

Well now.. it was one of my fantasies to rent a cushman somewhere, put on a golf getup, a blue or red hat, and ride that thing around. I would magnaminously wave to the people, and they would say, "there goes... well, I have no idea WHO he is.."

Would have been a pretty good gag..

quote:
Originally posted by A la prochaine:

Big Top Teachings that drone on for

hours on end

Though I usually found the teachings reasonably entertaining, even enlightening on occasion, there was this once...

I volunteered to sing in the "Chorale," not realizing that we would be sitting on bleachers (no back support) the whole time. VP started teaching about Joseph. After about 45 minutes, I finally realized that he was going to teach the WHOLE story of Joseph! I think it went for about 75 minutes, all told. Oh, my aching back!

George

quote:
After about 45 minutes, I finally realized that he was going to teach the WHOLE story of Joseph! I think it went for about 75 minutes, all told.

George, isn't that the worst feeling in the world? You're sitting there listening to a teaching that has already gone on too long and then all of a sudden you realize how much longer it's going to be? When it hits everyone at the same time you can almost hear a collective groan in the room.

Also, when they tell you up front they're gonna cover 7 points and an hour into the teaching they're only on the third point...... icon_frown.gif:(--> Sometimes that's when I'd start making my grocery list and itemized "to do" list for the week.

Welcome to the Rock of Ages 2005, It's good to be home again, right? heh! If only it had been music and seeing friends. BTW(pun meant), Both Cortright and CFF have ROA's in Michigan and Indiana. Also, I enjoyed Pressed Down's music and hope either Ralph or Joe have CD's for sale.

Any Branded, Glad Tidings, Hope,Joyful Noise, or Agape CD's for sale? Contact me at bumgarnerthomas@yahoo.com New Email address.

Edited by thomasloybumgarner

I also enjoyed the food at ROA. Looks like I have unintentionally derailed this thread. Where's Mike, MDVarden, and oldiesman when you

want opions and discussion? Also seems the same

occured with the CCM thread. Come on folks, give me some slack. Ham, Belle, Rascal, others, anyone around?

Hey! Now the food.. its ALWAYS about the food.

At least they couldn't mess that up too bad.. state regulations and all..

Music wasn't too bad.. in EARLIER years.

quote:
I can picture him singing "Dang me", but no way "Light my fire"!

Nope, John u are, the egotistical, power hungry, Hugh Hefner wanabe actually did it.. ptooie.

Awww, Thomas Loy Bumgarner, I'm sorry. I haven't commented because I never went to a ROA. They were cancelled the first or second year I was involved. For that reason also, I don't know any of the groups that you've mentioned.

Seems I missed all the good ole days! I definitely missed the good music days. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> All I know are Singing Ladies......well, I shant say a thing about them 'cause I'm sure they did/do the best they can with what they got. However, what they got obviously isn't anywhere close to what others had.

I listen to books on tape or my personal music CD's so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to any modern music, especially Christian music. However I do love the one about if cartoon characters got saved and the one about how you can't keep a good man down. icon_smile.gif:)-->

My first Rock was also Sidney County Fairgrounds with the Rain etc...quite a memory for sure....My most favorite memory though was right around l980 or 8l..happily married with two little ones...the memory of my cute wife & two kids settling into the Big Top & me sitting there with them & thinking "what more could any man ever want in life?" Happily married....a insiders view on "all truth"....a couple of kids..& a twig to run...completely content & of course all the friends meeting there year after year...pretty neat. Ft Wayne is just under 2 hours to New KnoxVille...so an easy mini-vacation for us & knowing that we could always slip West to town to our own comfortable beds if we wanted to...so a good set up. You're all right IMHO..the best part is/was always the common folk who wore the same wrist bands that we did..in fact we typically avpoided all WC we could as we wanted to enjoy the 4 or 5 days...hey..remember when they began tinkering with the Length of ROA??right around when the auditorium was built I think...

All this talk about rain at the early Rocks reminds me of the corn cobs they used to throw down in a vain attempt to cover the mud. At least they weren't using them in the port-a-potties! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

And, speaking of the port-a-potties, how many other guys used the towel dispenser as a mirror so you could shave with COLD water? icon_eek.gif

George

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe next year we can have ROA at Red Rocks in Colorado where John Tesh had his concert. So Welcome to the Rock of Ages 2006, it's good to be home again(?). Your'e my kids, oops got possed by the devil spirit of Wierwille. Sorry about Rosie. Would you beleve it or not?

I went to my first Rock from my home state of Montana.

In eastern Montana the soil is heavy clay (called gumbo) and it clumps. If you are walking, you get taller and taller until your shoes get pulled off.If you're driving on a frozen dirt road that thaws due to the chinnook and turns to mud, the mud clumps around your tires, filling the tire wells, until the car quits running. School kids in the country have mud days, not snow days.

The mud in Ohio was so different. It was like cold cream, so slick. I saw some young guys slipping in it on purpose my first Rock, before they tossed down the corn cobs. It was all very foreign to me!

I remember working in the pancake tent with Uncle Harry making blueberry pancakes and frying lotza bacon. I think the year was 75 or so. It rained alot. Seemed I worked in the breakfast tent for a few years afterward. til Uncle Harry passed away and I worked on staff. I can't totally remember. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

In 1980 I got assigned to back stage, and lived there foreverafter. Til '87, my last Rock. Funny how things you never think you'll forget, you do. icon_smile.gif:)-->