GreaseSpot Cafe

Memories of the ROA...

GrouchoMarxJr

Great post Jonny.

ChasU, good point about the good ROA memories being about the people and not the teachings or leadershi+. Shoot, that goes for most of my twi experience.

You guys all have me tripping down ROA memory lane, so if you'll indulge me:

1974: Fun, music, folks loving God, rain...who cares?

1975: Swarming flies everywhere...Going out WOW...I'm being sent WHERE?

1976: Whew! That year sucked, but I met my mate.

1977: Broke from having gone to PFAL '77 so we hitched out, slept in a pup tent, and found out Elvis died while standing in line for a wowburger.

1978: Boy, that-pie-and-coffee-hubby-brought back-to-our-blanket-under-the-big-top-each night-while-we-sat-through-another-teaching-on whatever-the-hell-it-was sure was good. Short on funds from taking advanced class that summer.

1979: Broke again after attending the "must-attend" Advanced Class '79.

1980: Ahhhh...stayed home with new baby.

1981: Camping with a one year old. 'Nuff said.

1982: Ditto plus one year.

1983: Wasn't this the year Ted blew out his knee and Craig "ministered" to him for his heart, and you could hear Ted telling him "it's my knee"? THAT was worth the price of admission.

1984: Right before entering corps...worked bless patrol again just as we had for many years previous.

1985: Worked the corps tents, and wasn't this the year the rain burst the big top and someone SHOULD have gotten struck by lightening?

1986: Post POP and corps week where we heard from Geer-head that things still hadn't changed, then proceeded with ROA just like nothing ever happened. During our shifts at the corps tents we talked with many others who agreed that if they start pouring Kool-Aid, we're outta there.

1987 and ff: Sweet freedom. Summers were made for real vacations.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
1986: Post POP and corps week where we heard from Geer-head that things still hadn't changed, then proceeded with ROA just like nothing ever happened. During our shifts at the corps tents we talked with many others who agreed that if they start pouring Kool-Aid, we're outta there.

So that was a concern that far back, eh? Gawd I wish the internet had been as well developed as it is now when I was getting involved! Thank goodness we'll be able to save others, hopefully, from the same kool-aid concerns!

Chas, you're right. It seems like any time someone waxes nostalgic or recalls fond memories and experiences it's usually because of a joe believer and not a teaching or leader.

A lot of the children's activities were kind of nice. The train, the ride on the (1929?) red fire engine, even a petting zoo one time I remember. All kinds of stuff beyond the children's fellowship.

I remember when they blocked off a parking lot and filled it with water, even older folks enjoyed it to get out of the heat.

I kind of thought it was neat, that the ministry was actually growing up in a sense, and trying to do something to bless families- i.e., those with younger kids.

Sure didn't last long..

With current conditions, I bet there are not very many young kids there, for anything. Kind of sad in a way.

Tonto:

quote:
1983: Wasn't this the year Ted blew out his knee and Craig "ministered" to him for his heart, and you could hear Ted telling him "it's my knee"? THAT was worth the price of admission.

What was that all about?

also.any bets on the ROA ever happening again? Think it could be done?

Steve!, you caught me. I left out an important pronoun. Col. Tom Parker screwed Elvis over, but at least he didn't get him involved in the way.

Belle, yep there was lots of concern even back then about the state of affairs (pun intended) at the way. That is why I was flabbergasted that more corps didn't leave that year. (And I say corps not as an elitist thing, but because POP was read on corps night, things were talked about at corps week, yada yada).

Learning, Right there in front of God and everybody, Craig demonstrated that he couldn't get revelation from the true God if it came down and bit him on the a$$. It was right there for all to see, but we were blinded by the lie that "there's nothing else out there".

quote:
I always thought it was odd that the news of its cancellation was never announced on a SNS tape or in the way mag, as far as I know. I never understood why they ended it after all those years of urging us not to miss it.

I heard a tape where LCM said that the ROA was a pain in the *** to all the leadership or something to that effect.

i remember basketball..

the rims were a couple inches low so it was really easy to dunk on them.

the last few years, they actually had Bless patrol working the courts. It sucked.. you had to sign your team up with them, and you could only win 3 games in a row then you had to sit.. that sucked..

but i met some cool people there.

and campers supply, thats where i worked.. god that was a hell of a job.. when it rained i would be cutting that plastic for HOURS and HOURS..... Campers supply sold so many cigerettes it would blow your mind.

quote:
Originally posted by tonto:

Learning, Right there in front of God and everybody, Craig demonstrated that he couldn't get revelation from the true God if it came down and bit him on the a$$. It was right there for all to see, but we were blinded by the lie that "there's nothing else out there".

To Craig's credit, he SAID to everybody there that he had tried to pray for Ted's heart, but that Ted told him, "It's the knee!" It seemed to me that he made an honest mistake while trying to help someone, and he owned up to it.

It WAS pretty funny!

George

quote:
the last few years, they actually had Bless patrol working the courts. It sucked.. you had to sign your team up with them, and you could only win 3 games in a row then you had to sit.. that sucked..

That's cuz craig got elbowed in a gorilla game, got ******, and decided it needed to be more decent & in order... sore looser!

I've got a few ROA memories of ROAs from '75 thru 94). I was only 14 at my first rock -

'75 at Lima - wet time, but slept off the ground in my bro's van - my bro went wow that year, and i caught a ride back with some of his friends to upstate NY.

'76 sidney - the Doulos Dennis Root Beer Saloon (root beer, peanuts)

Other years . . . singing in the "Way Chorale International" - did that for a few years, even had a blue t-shirt from it, although the guys had to wear black pants and white shirt.

-- "Hearts and Crafts" tent - some really neat stuff, or so I thought at the time.

-- All manner of T-shirts - I think my favorite had a very simple design - a silkscreened "Christ in You" t-shirt with Uncle Sam pointing his finger.

-- Lot's of the States and areas within states had their own t-shirt designs. I can remember some of the ones in NY state - I was from NY's "Area 5" ("The Jive 5 is alive," or some such stuff).

-- All-time Favorite job - conductor on the people transports. You got to sit in the shade, and pretty much got to see everyone you wanted to see. I really did get some job satisfaction from helping people be safe while riding (kindly telling folks to wait until we stopped before boarding or getting off, etc.)- did that job for a few years in the late 80s. Being the conductor on the front wagon was best - as I recall, we didn't move until i gave the OK (received ok signal from rear wagon person, made sure no one was between wagons, etc., then signaled tractor driver).

In the early 90s I worked at one of the beverage stands for a few years in a row (North Bev. Stand, I think) That was a so-so job, and looking back, I was puzzled that we weren't "allowed" any free drinks, or snacks while we worked, we had to pay for them.

I thought it was cool when they had the motorcycle raffle - I can still remember the sound when the guy, who won a years use fo that old 40-something Harley, started up the bike. The sound is also on the "Rockin at the Rock" cassette - one of my fav albums.

Family tables - even got to sing with a quartet at one of the tables.

Running down Wierwille Rd. - had to keep up the exercise.

Meeting people from different parts of the country, and seeing old friends. I think this was my favorite part of the experience - sure, at the time, I thought the teachings were good, but those you could slap those on a tape and hear them. Kind of hard to put a person on a tape and enjoy them. That's one part of the experience I miss - seeing all manner of folks from all manners of places. But now, we have the internet that allow similar interactions in real time.

Tenting was fun - except the times when it rained - always seemed difficult for me then to keep water out of the tent - one time woke up to find my Bible floating. Wish I knew then what I know now - the Bible wouldn't have floated, but then I might not have been there in the first place.

Well, there are probably a lot of memories that don't come to mind right away. Oh, someone earlier in this post mentioned meeting someone named Dorothy P. from Jersey - I knew a Dorothy P.from Jersey -- gotta be the same person. The time frame for me would have been '79 -'81 when I'd have known of her. She had several sisters and a brother,too, as i recall. A really wonderful family.

Anyway, the Rock was certainly an experience for that part of my life. Basically, was the annual vacation for me for many years. There are many memories from that time that I'll hold on to.

Per.

O the memories.

I likes the shower arrangment at Sidney. I think you had to walk through a football stadium and use the high schools showers. The first year at headquarters it was either hot water or cold water. It changed evry 15 seconds.

I remember vegtable pizza. I really did like it.

Walking around talking with friends and people walking up and bumming money so they could go WOW at the last minate.

Being sound asleep until someone started driving in tent spikes at 2 in the morning. Could'nt complain I did it the night before.

Being stuck in Brownsville Tenn. with a bad transmission for three days (OK it happened on the way).

Having my dad mad at me for not calling my mom on her birthday because I was at the rock.

Everyone being sad as they left. The 70's were good years.

Almost forgot all the hot women that were there.

By the way I must have left early because I didn't hear about Elvis till we were on the way back.

I had the perfect job at the ROA. The registration tables to get in the rock. Loved it, got to see everyone coming through.

I loved the rock. It was probably what kept me in for so many years. As time went on though it seemed that the people that I would run into wasn't as exciting as before. These people had changed. It wasn't the 'love bombing' as in the seventies.

Every august even now I think of the ROA. Wish there was something similar that we all could meet. But I think that is most likely impossible.

The one thing I hated the most about ROA was the song 'Beautiful Ohio'. Gawd, that voice. I wish I would have thought of ear plugs. That would have helped.

In spite of all the corruption, all the deceit, all the wrong doctrines...what made it all worth while were the relationships that all of us "common folk" developed with each other...

To this day, I still remember all that stuff...certain people that meant so much to me...simply getting to know someone's heart, helping them, or them helping you...drinking a few beers together or just hanging out and enjoying each other's company.

Tent city...tripping over some rope holding a tent up...crawling into the tent and fighting the mosquitoes and humidity...laying there and thanking God for being alive and being able to partake in a group of people who cared so much about each other.

I lambast the corrupt leadership and the abuse as much as anyone here...it needs to be said...but I never lose sight of the great people who congregated at the roa...hanging out , being friends, helping each other...caring...it meant a lot.

Groucho said:

quote:
In spite of all the corruption, all the deceit, all the wrong doctrines...what made it all worth while were the relationships that all of us "common folk" developed with each other...

Yep, I miss that.

Anyone else remember the Lamplighting song?

To be sung sweetly:

"When it's lamplighting time in the valley,

When it's lamplighting time in the valley,

When it's lamplighting time in the valley...

Then it's lamplighting time in the valley."

Then we would all crack up. I remember someone saying that Mrs. Weirwille liked that song.

The best memory that i haveis of the ROA of '79 and '80.

The Rock of 1979 i was going WOW, sent to wyoming, and i had just enough money to get to the Rock and to go WOW.

Well, i needed food money, i did have enough for the first day, and someone said that one of the people working one of the food stands was a friend of thiers and to ask them if i could work for them the times the stand was open for meals at meal times. I talked to the person and they understood where i was coming from with me going WOW and not having enough money for everything going on.

I had a great time, worked the salad stand making salads, and there was one time that the head person at the salad stand talked to the head person at the pizza stand to trade a couple of pizzas for some salads for the ppl at the pizza stand. so we all had pizza and salads while we were working, joking, laughing and having a grand old time. We also had a test to see who could make the best looking salad too.

I also worked the food stands in 1980 also. Low on money and asked god for some help getting some smokes. The leadership of the stand had me take out some of the trash bags to where they picked them up, and LO and behold inside one of the clear trash bags was an empty pack of cigs but betweened the celophane wrapper and the box i saw some money, no idea who put the empty pack in the trash but i found a $5 and 3 $1 bills. talk about getting blessed. I even helped out another person who smoked by giving them one of the packs that i bought with the money. It made thier day as they had run out the day before.

Survival at the rock with no money was an art. Just getting there with no money took ingenuity .

Gary Smith from Connecticut is not with us now, but I'll always remember the year he was broke and I'd slip him my plate from the 'all you can eat' pancake breakfast, every day.

I did love those pancakes w/ strawberries. Also the pizza, and wowburgers. And the fried chicken. Egad, memories of all that food is making my mouth water !

when i went to the rock i had all my ducks in a row and had all the money i needed to go wow and then some.

it really ****** me off how many pan handlers and out right moochers there were at this festival.

especially the people who at least said they were going wow. i had finally had enough of that **** and when approached for funds would tell them "if you dont have the funds to go wow then you're not ready to go"so much for abundant living!

blood suckers mad.gif

At the ROA 77 in Sidney, I worked the pizza stand. "Fort" Wayne Clapp ran it and we had a blast. We laughed and joked the whole time. We really got into "hawking" our pizzas to the passers by too. We'd yell things like; "Pizza! Pizza! Get yer No Condemnation Combination!" or, Get yer "Prayperroni" Pizza here! and, here's the one I made up; "Get yer Justification Combination! You don't gain weight cuz it's "Justified never ate!" And we all had to wear these goofy straw hats.

And to this day, when I order up a pepperoni pizza from Dominoes, I still mutter "prayperoni" under my breath... icon_smile.gif:)-->