GreaseSpot Cafe

do you live near a graveyard

excathedra

I do live near a few of them.

I dont recall anyteaching about them though.

Got spare food coupons? and want to assist military families in need? Send them to:

Naval Support Act - Naples

Family Service Center

Attn: Food Coupon Drive

PSC 817, Box 10

FPO-AE 09622

Thank you.

During one period of my 'twig' life, we had 'twig' at a house that was next to a BIG graveyard. The TL worked for the city and they supplied him that house!!!!! It was eerie, and I do remember a teaching(s) about devil spirits hanging out at graveyards. I usually took the side road to get to their house, so I wouldnt have to drive directly by the cemetary. Kinda strange, my brother is now buried there. :angry:

Edited by act2

Act 2 .... It is funny, now that I work part time in a cemetary now....(I dig and lay the concrete for the footings of the memorial markers).....and after all of those years of being taught to be fearfull.....I have come to this to be such a serene (sp?), beautifull place.

The people who come to visit are so loving and tender in their care of their loved ones final resting places....the graves of the small children decorated with toys, people leaving mementos and souvineers from vacations and missed milestones....nobody steals these things...

You are struck with humbleness when contemplating the children who will never have a chance to reach their potential...the lives of the teens senselesly cut short....the fathers and mothers whom perished before they could see their children grown....the beloved grandparents who`s life long loving guidance has been irrevocably silenced.

It is not a frightening place when you realise that all of the folks there are much beloved, cherished family members.

You tend to become very gratefull and apreciative of each day that you are permitted with your loved ones....knowing that in spite of all we have been taught...things can change dramatically in an instant.....that the problems that you think you face today ...that tend to keep us distracted....are minor in the grand scheme of things.

The stories each stone tells of peoples accomplishments, of lives well lived...have become an inspiration to me.

Sorry, I guess that has very little to do with what twi taught us.

I became MORE superstitious in TWI than I ever thought of being pre-TWIt brain. I also learned a lot more superstitions while in TWI, too!

There's actually a beautiful cemetary behind my neighborhood. My favorite cemetaries are the really old ones that have interesting headstones.

I live in New England, not all that close to any specific cemetary, but close enough--- I have learned to greatly appreciate them. Here there are some that go back to the 1630's. The poetry, artwork and stories on the stones tell not only individual stories but stories of entire parts of our history. They are enough to make anybody sit up and think about more than just what is going on in our little moment. I have always found them wonderful places for thought , reflection and meditation.

Now what was Wierwilles superstition about these?

Personally I think he went ballistically out of his way just to keep anybody away from any place where they may have a genuine spiritual thought.

Edited by mstar1

Right across the street from the Anchorage Pioneers Cemetery (the first one in Anchorage) the city has grown around it with it's green grass, lush trees, marble benches and walkways. Flowers and balloons decorate it in the summer and fall, while it sleeps under a glittery blanket of white in the winter. Wonderful neighbors, the dead, no loud parties, fighting, garbage on the street or junk cars.

Edited by templelady

thank you for your wonderful replies.

i was taught in twi - either in advanced class or corps - something along the lines that there are devil spirits who love to be around the dead. i can't remember the "classification" of this particular type spirit. but the teaching was that there are people who always want to move near the cemeteries.

anyone else remember anymore ?

i have to say, i'm in agreement with the beauty of the lives and history of the people

but for a long time i didn't feel that way due to twi teachings

You are struck with humbleness when contemplating the children who will never have a chance to reach their potential...the lives of the teens senselesly cut short....the fathers and mothers whom perished before they could see their children grown....the beloved grandparents who`s life long loving guidance has been irrevocably silenced.

It is not a frightening place when you realise that all of the folks there are much beloved, cherished family members.

Amen. :)

As I mentioned above, Hap's great-grandparents are buried about 2 miles from

my house in Forest Hill Cemetery.

He asked me to find the graves, and take pics for the geneology work he was doing on his family. I did, and I found it to be a peaceful place. I do (now) remember the teaching about debbul spirits hanging out in graveyards.

At Forest Hill, there are benches to sit on, ponds with geese, ducks, and blue heron. Even after I found the gravesites for Hap, I found myself going back there again and again with the fiddle or mandolin to while away an afternoon off, thinking about *stuff*.

Being there kinda puts things in perspective, ya know?

Edited by dmiller

Exsie, it was in the Advanced Class. As I recall VP was talking about a particular woman and her insisting on living next to a graveyard. And he did say devil spirits like to hang out around graveyards and that's why she was so screwed up. That's all I remember.

I love to walk through old graveyards and read the tombstones and wonder what the lives of the people buried there were like. It's humbling and peaceful, sweet and sad at the same time, not to mention a great source of genealogical info, like David said. As far as I know this activity hasn't gotten me PO-Zessed yet.

When I was a kid I used to play hide and seek in the grave yard in my neighborhood.

You know I may get into trouble with this but a relative moved in front of a grave yard, when you look out her kitchen window you see the headstones and the burials.

I got to tell ya she is obessed with death. talks about dead people alot, I have shouted at her I could care less about the dead people she wants to know about .

They go to alot of funerals. her husband is in a political position and it affords them to go to people they have never met furnerals. ALOT??? at least once or twice a week!!

I do not get it : I do not want to go to funerals of people I knew and have not seen in years and barely make it to those I knew well.. me. eeek I hate the idea .

she talks ALOT about people who have been dead for years or she or I have never met..

I am uncomofrtable with this . I do think it is spiritual.

I have a question about spirits in grave yards tho..

if it is about going back to dust after death our body just turns into worms So where is this eternal spirit we have in us?

The spirit we get as the "gift that affords us eternal life? the body I understand can be healed put back together etc by Jesus christ but the spirit within that we die with where does that go till Jesus christ calls the believers together at the end of the world? as we know it.

the RC church teaches about a place that it stays I forgot the name of it well at least they have a place for the spirits to go till we get judged. Is it pergotory?

does what we where taught about the christ in us story just hover above the dirt and worms till the return?

anyone know?

I honesty would like to know

It strikes me odd that the thought is that devil spirits hang out in cemetarys. If you were in the business of posessing people you think you would have the common sense to hang out with live people.

If you were a salesman you would hang out where your prospects would be. Unless you are a really bad salesperson.

I know people who live close to cemetarys and I don't see any harmful effects other than a quiet backyard.

It strikes me odd that the thought is that devil spirits hang out in cemetarys. If you were in the business of posessing people you think you would have the common sense to hang out with live people.

If you were a salesman you would hang out where your prospects would be. Unless you are a really bad salesperson.

I know people who live close to cemetarys and I don't see any harmful effects other than a quiet backyard.

This was probably confusion over the demonaic hanging out by tombs.

This is not the same thing as a disembodied SPIRIT hanging out there.

Then again,

when it came to "Advanced class level" stuff,

vpw seemed to just recite material with no understanding of it,

and wing it when he wanted to expand on it.

thanks ex.

Iwould think all these years spent, bible scholors would have some answer for the question of just where does the holy spirit within stays till the Return of christ and he gathers us .

all the information and knowledge we think we got in the classes I do not rememner any one saying where does that go hmm?

think about it we turn to dust and the spirit within just what where does it go ?

anyone?

ok so no evil spirits hang out neccesarily ??? but how about the one we have that is losing its home (body)

They taught that it goes back to the "giver that gave it" and it is "held in abeyance."( till the gathering)

So then the question is.....................what are they doing while there?

Is God a pack rat, a collector of some sort, maybe for a trophy room or are all spirits stuffed in a jar until Jesus brings our bodies back?

Ya, never could figure this out. We were suppossed to be satified with their answers. That is what we get for thinking, more questions...........

:asdf: