GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Decorators

bliss

I just have to discuss this. It has been one of my biggest beefs for a long time. Catcup hit on it in another thread concerning "the decor"of many Way homes.

I was a fellowship coordinator for many years.....so I will start with myself.

1. The POSTERS

Yes every year, a new theme, a new goal, hence a new beautiful artistic rendition of "prevailing".

2. The PICTURES OF THE BOD/BOT/VP/et all...

"Where are the family pictures? AAAhhhh, they are not allowed in the "twig room". " My father could never figure this one out.

3. DOVES/ THE TEACHER/MOSES SCULPTURES, oh and can't forget "EAGLES!".

God forbid I have an angel, or cross.......so, I went with Egyptian art, (oh, did I got some evil looks over that)...

4. Yes,(Catcup) 2 High WING BACK CHAIRS WITH COFFEE TABLE AND COUCH

don't forget the coffee table "book" called "The Coffee Table Book" The Way INT.

lots of dolies, with another ''eagle'', and coasters, for the teachers water.......

5. The HORN OF PLENTY

you know how many times I "forgot" to get it out until someone was praying for it? Yikes. Oh and can't forget about taking it immediatley to another room for someone might steal it.

6. THE COLLATERALS/ and or 'theme book" of the month

Where's my Tolkien? or Dick Francis? oh, that's right, i forgot, I didn't READ ANYTHING ELSE FOR YEARS!!!

7. Other PICTURES

Flowers, Eagles (again) scenery with verses, and every card you got with a verse, framed.

God forbid I had a Salvador Dali, you know everything "gives off something?"

8. VACUUM LINES

no comment

9. 10 FOLD UP CHAIRS in the corner.

Nobody liked the floor in the 90's.

10. TISSUES

Only for sick folk, since emotions were off limits!

11. PLANTS

yes, mostly fake ficus, but I am brave and always had "LIVE" plants too. They represent 'life" ya know?

I am sure i could list some more, but these were the basics. If you were "lucky" or wait "blessed" enough to have 2 living rooms, then one stayed 'just so" the whole time.

Yes, stale and non lived in were so many of the homes we encountered. I tried my best to keep my personality in mine. But most of my TC freinds homes really did look like hotel rooms.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gawd am I glad that I am out-----

Your visuals remind me of a MacDonalds or any other cheap cheezy national brand of anything where everything always looks alike no matter where you go.

No Thanks--give me a messy house with some life in it anyday

It still amazes me years later that people will sell out any personality or soul that they may have and buy into the cheeseball formulas of the TWI lifestyle

I'm breaking out in hives as I read this. Ugh

Wasn't Loyboy real taken with Thomas Kinkade cottage sculptures or somesuch? That, thankfully, was after I left, but I heard rumors.

If there is a hell, mine will be covered with Thomas Kinkade pictures and Country/Western on the intercom 24/7 (shudder, maybe I should repent of my sinful ways immediately)...

Ah yes, thankyou George for the reminder,

12. LILLYPUT Cottages............

yes, I still have one..........somewhere..........

They were so intricate and full of detail........ :blink:

ebay here I come!

Oh and George, lay off about Country music being "hell".............that would be my "heaven"!

Edited by bliss

I just have to discuss this. It has been one of my biggest beefs for a long time. Catcup hit on it in another thread concerning "the decor"of many Way homes.

I was a fellowship coordinator for many years.....so I will start with myself.

1. The POSTERS

Yes every year, a new theme, a new goal, hence a new beautiful artistic rendition of "prevailing".

I had a big (2'x3') "Green Card" but none of th yearly posters.

2. The PICTURES OF THE BOD/BOT/VP/et all...

"Where are the family pictures? AAAhhhh, they are not allowed in the "twig room". " My father could never figure this one out.

I had a copy of the picture of VPW with the young boy, though not hanging on the wall. I really thought it was a cool picture. I didn't have a lot of family pictures, anyway. It just wasn't that big in my family.

3. DOVES/ THE TEACHER/MOSES SCULPTURES, oh and can't forget "EAGLES!".

God forbid I have an angel, or cross.......so, I went with Egyptian art, (oh, did I got some evil looks over that)...

None of that stuff in my house. Lots of comic boks, though!

4. Yes,(Catcup) 2 High WING BACK CHAIRS WITH COFFEE TABLE AND COUCH

don't forget the coffee table "book" called "The Coffee Table Book" The Way INT.

lots of dolies, with another ''eagle'', and coasters, for the teachers water.......

No room for wingback chairs in my living room. Couch, loveseat and coffee table.

5. The HORN OF PLENTY

you know how many times I "forgot" to get it out until someone was praying for it? Yikes. Oh and can't forget about taking it immediatley to another room for someone might steal it.

Always out. Made for an interesting conversation piece when non-TWI friends popped in.

6. THE COLLATERALS/ and or 'theme book" of the month

Where's my Tolkien? or Dick Francis? oh, that's right, i forgot, I didn't READ ANYTHING ELSE FOR YEARS!!!

On display by my stereo, but almost never on the coffee table. (Oh and did I mention comic books?)

7. Other PICTURES

Flowers, Eagles (again) scenery with verses, and every card you got with a verse, framed.

God forbid I had a Salvador Dali, you know everything "gives off something?"

My walls were pretty bare, with the exception of said Green Card and a needlepoint of a band playing in a park, made for me by one of my fellowship.

8. VACUUM LINES

no comment

My 70's-style shag rug didn't SHOW vacuum lines.

9. 10 FOLD UP CHAIRS in the corner.

Nobody liked the floor in the 90's.

Usually, the couch, loveseat, and dining room chairs were sufficient.

10. TISSUES

Only for sick folk, since emotions were off limits!

Always out. MANSIZE Kleenex (9"x9", 3-ply), so never any breakthrough!

11. PLANTS

yes, mostly fake ficus, but I am brave and always had "LIVE" plants too. They represent 'life" ya know?

I am sure i could list some more, but these were the basics. If you were "lucky" or wait "blessed" enough to have 2 living rooms, then one stayed 'just so" the whole time.

Plants die around me.

Yes, stale and non lived in were so many of the homes we encountered. I tried my best to keep my personality in mine. But most of my TC freinds homes really did look like hotel rooms.

Hard to believe I was a TC for almost 20 years!

George

George, at least you weren't ordered to get rid of your comic books. I had a lc 'suggest' that I remove said items from my bedroom. Everything gives off something you know. Not exactly a positive step in my goal to become a comic book artist, but 'goals' and the way were like oil and water, unless your goal was to get a class together.

Welcome Dog Lover!!!

I remember, at least in my area, we weren't allowed to LOVE dogs either.........................

so sad.

Glad your here.

Welcome, doglover!

Anything not related to The Way International out in public view was frowned upon.

Mxrk Wxllxce never wanted to see drainboards (even empty ones) on the kitchen counters or anything whatsoever on top of your refrigerator! And certainly nothing magneted to the front, either, unless it was neatly discreetly organized.

Ugh, does this bring up memories. the two wing back chairs, the bot pic on the doily...

Your way home should look like no one actually lives there.

I kept novels (yes, I never did quit reading) in a pantry cupboard and only had way books on our actual book shelves.

Now we have about a dozen book shelves, full of real books!

light houses (kinda like the thomas kinkade stuff)

and way prod cd's playing.

plus something that hides the TV, unless your going to watch way prod or a SNT vhs.

did you say way mags?

song books on each chair.

but never coffee, we never had snack or anything out unless it was a big event, we always wanted ppl in and out, unless they wanted to stay and talk about the word... hmm.. actually if we knew we were going to have new ppl we might lay some snacks out, try to get them to hang around....

BUT we always had to KNOW if someone new was coming, or else the TC would get irritated,, like if someone new was coming they had to prepare special... lame

(damn catcup, didn't know mXXk waxxaxe was such a stickler, he always seemed so layed back. but i was never a TC under his guidance.)

If there is a hell, mine will be covered with Thomas Kinkade pictures and Country/Western on the intercom 24/7 (shudder, maybe I should repent of my sinful ways immediately)...
heard that George... heard that indeed...
the t.v. must NOT be the focal center of your living room

too bad for them coolchef... think I can convince them that 61" Samsung is an altar?

As far as a TV guide--

You never wanted to let on that you watched enough TV to actually need one of those things. At times, I actually kept my TV in the closet! If it was out too much, I might be tempted to watch too much of it, y'know... such a waste of time!

And yeah, Wxllxce constantly had his TCs reporting back to him about conditions in the homes of people on his $h-t list. This area was notorious for people wanting to stick their noses into your business.

When we first moved into our house and were not yet unpacked, most of our unpacked boxes were taken to the basement so as not to clutter up our "fellowship room." One Corps night we hosted, Cheryl Wxtson, nosy b-tch that she was, insisted on a "tour" of our home, which I gave her-- of the upstairs. She then insisted she be shown the basement, and I said no because it was not ready yet, and was full of boxes and unpacked furniture. She got my 9 year old daughter to sneak her down in the basement, and suddenly I heard a loud CRASH!

Up the stairs runs my daughter, and Cheryl after her. Seems they somehow knocked over the huge beveled plate glass inset to my cocktail table when "looking behind" it as it lay wrapped in a moving blanket, against a basement wall, behind a couch. She had to pull out the couch from the wall for that to happen. What the @*#( was she looking for, anyway? Dust bunnies?

Cheryl's curiosity cost me $75.00 to replace that huge glass insert!

No offers to replace the expensive piece of furniture.

No apologies, either.

Edited by Catcup

jesus cat, that lady was a nut... talking your kid into taking her down to the basement... then breaking your stuff....

whenever Rev. x-vp plaxx would come over we had to clean everything, like it affected his ability to teach or something. or if he found something out of order he would get ....ed.

we had to be extra clean for leadership.

I seem to recall that a few of the urbane and sophisticated "higher ups" had some real cutting edge culture happening at their cribs:

Photography - Ansel Adams

Jazz - Chuck Mangione

Dance - Flashdance

Wine - fresh out of the box

Let's not forget the ubiquitous calligraphy...or the Beta tape player.

I lived with a Limb leader who, though nearly illiterate, bought The Harvard Classics because he thought they looked impressive in his office.

Some of it got funny at times_ I knew one leader who would about have a nervous breakdown if all the fibers on his carpet weren't all pointed the same way...

I used to enjoy going a little early to his house in big lug sole boots and tromping through every room-back and forth and back and forth...while he was readying-then watch his face start to twitch when he noticed it-The twitch would start in an eye and slowly work down the side of his face. It would really screw him up and he'd be all flustered until he could get out his vacuum cleaner and realign them. :biglaugh:

I don't think Mr.OCD ever figured out that I went out of my way just to watch his reactions

Edited by mstar1

I remember M*rk W*ll*ce's house when I lived in Oregon. They had the living room exactly as described with the wingback chairs and an off white floral print sofa with Queen Anne cocktail table and end tables. There were lots of nice white lace doilies too.

I prefer the Zen look. I have Asian style wall hangings. Wood and wrought iron in Japanese characters which represent "Peace" "Health" and "Prosperity". I also have a Van Gogh print. That guy was possessed you know! He cut off his own ear! But I like his style. I haven't seen any debil spurts hanging out at my house. I have pictures of my family on a table in my living room also. I love seeing them. It comforts my heart and helps me to remember to pray for them. I never prayed for them while in twi because I was too busy and lived so far away.