GreaseSpot Cafe

Unwritten Policies

Belle

TWI had plenty of "policies" that were never written down. Does that mean they didn't exist? Does that mean they weren't enforced? Does that mean we're liars for calling them policies?

I've haggled over words and definitions of words enough in the 10 years I was involved to not really care to do that any more. I may ask what someone means by what they said, but will in no way argue that their perception is wrong. Perception IS reality even if that reality is different from mine. Even if they use words that I, personally, attach a different meaning to. Once I know what they mean, the rest is nitpicking and straining at gnats - just a waste of time. It deflects the actual point and core of the conversation as well as reminds me of the arrogance with which we talked to people when we were involved in TWI.

TWI did have a plethora of unwritten policies and some were never even said out right in plain English, they were all "implied" and a new person had to learn to read between the lines if they were to behave "properly" according to TWIt rules.

Which ones can you recall?

- No mortgages - sure they wouldn't let people in debt take classes, etc. but they really did kick people out for not selling their homes. That's not written down anywhere, but it was very well known that if you didn't get rid of that mortgage, you were going to eventually be kicked out and slandered.

- In your seats and ready to go 10 minutes before any meeting, fellowship, etc.

- Use the "correct" language - Happy Household Holiday, Resurrection Sunday, Blessed Eggs, Pot Bless, devil spirits. Not using: hope, lucky, fortunate, Christmas, Easter....

- Do not wear angel pins, Buddahs, crosses, Ankhs.....

- Do not waste time making friends with people who do not want to "take the class"

- Do not ever miss a fellowship unless you're dying.

- Do not ever question leadership.

- Do not ever share something you learned in your own study that contradicts what TWI teaches.

- Do not ever turn down an "opportunity" to host a TWIt event in your home.

- Always take another TWIt with you where ever you go.

- Always write an "I'm so blessed" letter after a big meeting, momentous celebration, class, etc.

- Always have a card to present to the class coordinators.

- Always provide an itinerary when you are leaving town and be sure to include all known details of your trip.

- Always be available to help scour, clean and move top leadership.

- NEVER expect top leadership to help you in any way - especially not when you are moving.

- Always be prepared to clean every meeting location, no matter how clean it already is.

- Never complain about the sound quality of the phone hook-ups and having to go to them because of the tape you will be receiving in a few days of the same information.

Which ones can YOU remember?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, babysitting. I babysat the Brooks' kids and that wasn't enough for them - I also had to clean their friggin' house, put away laundry and scoured their palatial bathroom with nary a thank you.

I remember being "reproved" for using notebook paper and a clipboard for my teaching notes instead of 3x5 cards. Teaching notes were to always be on 3x5 cards.

Were the broken mints for the teacher a written policy?

Belle------------The concept of unwritten policies is not unique to the more current version of twi. Even in the early days there were many unwritten "laws". Most of these revolved around two issues; believing and planning. Retirement planning was a no-no. Lots of scriptural referances were given to back this such as be anxious for nothing and many quotes regarding our needs already being met . I won't go into a lengthy list because I'm sure most people here have long lists of thier own that come to mind. Ditto on life insurance andsavings plans. Add to that health insurance because we all "know" the only reason to have it is if your believing is weak. Planning for anything personal like a road trip likewise showed you didn't really believe to have your needs met. Of course planning for a visit from a VIP required uttmost planning as this was GOD'S way of giving you an opportunity for heavy revvy. Sounds quite different from the WAY RAG article that was cited here recently but , in essense, is it really? ------Hey! I just realized something about those "broken" mint packs! Doth not the scripture teach thee "ya get what ya give"?

Never complain About anything. About door-to-door witnessing, about mediocre teachings, about how hot it is at the Rock, about how you just worked a 16 hour shift and don't want to go to session 5 of the pfal class which, of course, you've already heard 18 times, about how you'd rather not abundantly share 15% of the overtime you earned from working a 16 hour shift when you really need it to fix up your car to get to the Rock, etc, etc, etc...

Never suggest that anyone or anything in twi was/is not superior to anything NOT in twi.

That one was certainly active as of the 80s.

I ran into that little brick wall myself.

True, and a double standard at that. I heard VPW mention a couple of times that the secular business world could do things more efficiently than TWI, but God help the lowly believer that might say the same thing...

Planning for anything personal like a road trip likewise showed you didn't really believe to have your needs met. Of course planning for a visit from a VIP required uttmost planning as this was GOD'S way of giving you an opportunity for heavy revvy.

Isn't that the truth! <_<

We could never *plan* enough to make things perfect for the MOG.

I remember once being reproved for doing too much planning for something

(the exact instance escapes me now), by whatever BC was in the area at the time.

I asked him if he had a spare tire in the trunk of his car.

When he said "yes" -- I asked him if he was planning on having a flat tire.

:evildenk:

I got my point across, but didn't score any points that day!

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Never grow up....you should remain adolescent in your thinking.

Spending time with your earthly family is taboo.....and fell into the devil's trappings of "earthly, sensual, and devilish."

Be specific and clear about your life and commitments.....twi can be as vague as it wants to be.

Never leave the ministry "that taught you the word".......no matter what. Even if twi becomes laced with adulterous, back-stabbing, lying, seducing leadership.....you STILL owe it to God to follow twi's leadership for the rest of your life.

:evilshades:

Edited by skyrider

Never contact someone who's been M & A'd, no matter how much you loved them or how much you knew the accusations against them were bogus - you might get some of their devil spirits in you!

Edited by bowtwi

Children should have no inconvenient needs and should act like they've been sedated at all times.

I'm surprised no one in "power" suggested giving depressants to children with 'inconvenient' needs. They could have even marketed their own brand, maybe along the order of, say, "Doulos Downers."

:asdf:

I'm surprised no one in "power" suggested giving depressants to children with 'inconvenient' needs. They could have even marketed their own brand, maybe along the order of, say, "Doulos Downers."

:asdf:

No need.

They advocated kicking out any child with 'inconvenient' needs.

One recommended using a stick and giving the beating of the child's life at the

FIRST infraction, then telling him the second time will be worse than this.

Another recommended fostercare or putting them up for adoption

(I forget which).

A third recommended abandoning the child in the woods or by the roadside

(I forget which.)

Someone curious can look them up- I read all 3 of those here.

Edited by WordWolf

Hello:

I'd like to add some of the vulgarity i've heard quoted concerning the Man Of God Efigy DEMANDS that went on,on,on, like , "What so ever pleaseth the Man Of God , servants him, and makes him gain , thats

to be the prayer, and thats all; sacraficial lifestyle preachin jhesus thats all there is ta life" ; "all prayer is dern well gonna be sacraficial , and anyone gets more than his need, best be turned over to the Man Of God coffers ta fight the good fight" ' every morning the Way Corps Code of defendin your brother , and cursing all their sin as lookin back"; speak in a tongue what the spirit uttereth, dern well will, and dare ya contend it, don't care if it don't sound right ta you , you ain't elevated " ; all the rotten tumpulet of effigial spoue intentioned to idolize the higherarchy, and rip off anyone else.

Not sure if it was already mentioned but it always seemed to me that one unwritten rule was that any and all religious groups other that TWI were simply wrong if not devilish. This included the likes of Oral Roberts and Billy Graham and any major denomination.

And god forbid if you participated with "the competition" by attending services or contributing financially to another religious group. It seemed unwritten that all abundant sharing was to go to TWI 100% and that all other financial giving to any other group or "designer cause" as LCM used to call them, was deemed evil.

Edited by igotout

Not sure if it was already mentioned but it always seemed to me that one unwritten rule was that any and all religious groups other that TWI were simply wrong if not devilish. This included the likes of Oral Roberts and Billy Graham and any major denomination.

I don't know about unwritten, but Mr. Wierwille certainly left no doubt in my mind how he felt about Billy Graham and Billy Bright in that SNS tape, "The Way of Life and Death". I believe I am accurately quoting him when he said, "To hell with them! That's exactly what I think!"

Here are a few that may have been mentioned or similar to those mentioned:

"There is nothing outside of THE ministry."

Always referring to twi as "THE" ministry, not "A" or even "our" ministry

"If you can't trust a man with finances, you can't trust him with the Word, or anything." LCM via VPW.

Don't give your $ to other causes outside of THE ministry

"Everything gives of something."

Supposedly seeing leaders live, and therefore receive teachings as to how you were to also live (as if their examples were always right and to be immitated).

The fat-cat Trustee / Director household members are always of the highest caste, and never sit at meals amongst the common, unwashed. They must be served by attendants, with coffee, and tea, whilst others may drink nasty Ohio water with their meals.

So those are just a few.

Not completing any program or activity in twi is not honoring our committment to God, equals breaking our vow/word to God, equals lying to God, equals being outside of his ability to protect us..... which is punishable by consequences possibly as severe as annanias and saphira`s untimely death :(

Edited by rascal

Never have or do anything better than your leadership. When we lived in Washington State, we flew to Ohio for the ROA, due to time constraints with vacation, and becuase I'm diabetic and driving 24 hour days to gt there would have been very hard on me. We were confronted with,

"And WHO are YOU that YOU should fly to the Rock of Ages when others, like ourselves, DROVE?"

And also, being ordered up like a pepperoni pizza as unpaid babysitter/housecleaner at the whim of the leadershi*. Not only sit on the kids, but handwash, rinse and dry the dishes. Sweep and scrub the kitchen floor (done by this one woman on at least a daily basis). Run the vacuum. Bathe the children. Give each a glass of water right before bedtime, then get bytched out when the baby wets the bed.

Such a privilege to serve such great men and women of God. :realmad:

Pen, paper, knife and ... something else, with you at all times. Oh yes, nametag.

Did you floss your teeth?

Did you do your deep breathing exercises?

Oh and (from PFAL) - "What you can know by your five senses, God expects you to know" ... but we still know better

Edited by Twinky

TWI had plenty of "policies" that were never written down. Does that mean they didn't exist? Does that mean they weren't enforced? Does that mean we're liars for calling them policies?

Doesn't necessarily mean someone is deliberately lying or they didn't exist, but someone could definitely be mistaken in their perception of an supposed policy of twi or the trustees. Perfect example of this Belle, is your insistance that twi taught that SIT is required for salvation.

If you can get that simple concept wrong, it wouldn't surprise me that you and other folks could possibly get some other stuff wrong as well.

This is why it's so important to document things in writing, if possible.