GreaseSpot Cafe

Buzzwords: wayspeak

Seth R.

Regarding the name changes of various holidays: they just never had the balls to simply not celebrate them.

They'd go on and on about how "devilish" this observance and that name was; what? it was less devilish because they called it something else?

But no, they'd tell you how "pagan" and "off" Halloween was, or Christmas, but they'd do all the same things but label them differently. <_<

Renaming.......was the heart and soul of twi.

Sex wasn't sex...........it was "meeting the need of someone who could spiritually handle it." Or, like.... "putting your finger in someone's ear."

Retemorizing.............wasn't memorizing. It was retaining something in your memory.

Corps Alumni............was stripping a corps grad of his/her status and earned recognition AND labeling them as a substandard corps grad.

Churches.................was the devil's lair, run by seed men.

Word over the world.......was accomplished in martindale's hall of mirrors.

:biglaugh: :blink: :biglaugh:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Referring to the Way as "THE MINISTRY" (you could actually hear those words in capital letters sometimes) as though there were no other ministries. Of course, according to the Way, there aren't any other true ministries of God. <_<

Referring to Victor Wierwille as "The Doctor", or just simply, "Doctor". Infuriating when you consider he got his "doctorate" from a non-accredited "seminary" run out of someone's house. And this "seminary" is so well thought of and recognized for its unique approach to Christian acedemia that it's the talk of the theological world.

Not.

Not even in existence anymore.

I mean, for cripes sake, Don Wierwille had an actual earned doctorate from an accredited institution. Did anybody ever refer to him as "Doctor" Wierwille without a nervous giggle, as though they were somehow blaspheming the holy name of the "real Doctor" Wierwille?

Renewed mind recklessness

See also, "Reckless believing action"

I guess "fearlessness" doesn't go far enough to condone abandoning inhibition and common sense.

Sex wasn't sex...........it was "meeting the need of someone who could spiritually handle it." Or, like.... "putting your finger in someone's ear."

I missed the "finger in the ear" thing, care to elaborate?

what about "not standing anymore"

Leads a person to think they're in oblivion, not protected, not in the household, blah, blah, blah, etc...

What a bunch of ego maniacs to think twi is the only ministry that ever taught any truth!!!!!

OK, they probably meant standing with THEM! Well I guess I can see that, but I was always thought it was a vindictive way to handle people both in and out of twi.

Now I realize I AM STANDING and I sure as hell don't need them to do it!

What about Romans 14:4?

"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand."

Splinter :P

I think after you left TWI, we use ''splinter'' Safari,

I always remembered it as ''STICKS".

My relatives use this on me all the time, and I get irrate..........: " I'll BELIEVE WITH YOU............." :asdf:

How bout just praying FOR me? thanks.

I don't know if has been stated in this thread as such, but part of the concept of loaded language has to do with how subjects, questions, arguements and so on are framed. The language is "loaded" because of how it slants the arguement and casts the opposition in a particular light.

A few examples I've heard:

People leave the ministry because they get bitter.

or

they choose to hang on to their anger..

or

they are unforgiving, tired of the fight, etc.

Loaded language casts the opposition in an unfavorable light using a narrow, unfair description of their position. At least that's the best definition I can muster. Many good examples have been given. It's an attempt to trap someone in their own words and ideas and that's why it gets associated with cults. It's not unique though. Politics is rife with it. Read any newspaper for examples o' plenty.

I think the reason loaded words of any group are amazingly effective yet elusive as to pin down why that is so – may be due to how lightning-fast our processors are! Just thinking out loud here -when someone in a group speaks a certain word or phrase the listener's brain summons key definitions assimilated from the group as well as experiences which the listener has categorized as examples, or mind pictures – maybe not all of this stuff happening each time – but translating the message becomes quick and easy over time. And we're not even aware of it.

Think about when you first learned to drive – it took such thought…effort…concentration. Now you can drive down the road, negotiate through traffic while arguing with someone over the war in Iraq. We're not aware of how much our lightning-fast processors are multi-tasking. Can you remember when you first got into TWI – you would sometimes wonder what someone was talking about. Or how it seemed so odd the way they would speak about certain things – and you were afraid to say something because you didn't think it would come out right. Then after awhile – it's second nature to you – why you're speaking the wonderful words of TWI. Why you even get all hep – so to speak – all shook.

what about "not standing anymore"

AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

that's load language, for sure. I'm glad you posted that Lori, so I could feel all the awful, guilty and confusing emotions that go with that term. I'm weeding that crap out of my response system RIGHT NOW. I will not ever use the words "not standing" to describe anyone!!! if I EVER hear anyone on the inside utter those words (and I'm sure I will because I plan to keep in touch with 2 people who will probably say it, God bless their souls) I will make sure to point out how horrible a thing it is to say something like that about someone because it's an UTTER UNTRUTH!!!!

IN OR OUT OF TWI HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH STANDING!!!!

You could never know what it's like

Your blood like winter freezes just like ice

And there's a cold lonely light that shines from you

You'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use

And did you think this fool could never win

Well look at me, I'm coming back again

I got a taste of love in a simple way

And if you need to know while I'm still standing you just fade away

Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did

Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid

I'm still standing after all this time

Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah

I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah

Once I never could hope to win

You starting down the road leaving me again

The threats you made were meant to cut me down

And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now

;) :dance: ;)

compliments of sir elton

You're absolutely right T-bone about the context of the words framing the intent of the words spoken. I remember when my father used to tell me he was "going to clean my clock" it had nothing to do with a dust cloth or the time.

You're absolutely right T-bone about the context of the words framing the intent of the words spoken. I remember when my father used to tell me he was "going to clean my clock" it had nothing to do with a dust cloth or the time.

:biglaugh::biglaugh: That's funny, Krysilis - I was getting ready to post another phrase "I really got delivered in that meeting" - when I read your post - and thought I'd incorporate it to read "I really got my clock cleaned in that meeting."

When speaking of someone M&A I said that they were kicked out of the ministry. I was quickly corrected that they weren't kicked out of the ministry, "they kicked themselves out of the ministry." B.S. They didn't kick their own foot! They just tried to think independently or question authority which is against the rules.

If you do not agree with twi you are being tricked by the adversary!! what a crrock they think they

are above reproach.They do not like the united states Checks and balances system either.

Question a leader?Why thats blaspemy!

Move out of an area to where the word is hot!! So you can be watched more easily.

When speaking of someone M&A I said that they were kicked out of the ministry. I was quickly corrected that they weren't kicked out of the ministry, "they kicked themselves out of the ministry."

When Drty Dzn and I left the Way Corps, I was brought before JAL. He said that I had to leave, but he said I wasn't kicked out, I chose to leave. Drty Dzn was brought before LCM and was asked if he wanted to go LOA for a year. Drty said no, he was going to drop from corps. LCM said "You can tell people you're kicked out then."

When Drty Dzn and I left the Way Corps, I was brought before JAL. He said that I had to leave, but he said I wasn't kicked out, I chose to leave. Drty Dzn was brought before LCM and was asked if he wanted to go LOA for a year. Drty said no, he was going to drop from corps. LCM said "You can tell people you're kicked out then."

This is one of the more confusing things for most people I talk to about my cult involvement. They think cults don't kick people out, so it's hard to explain why I got out of TWI. My branch coordinator told me not to come back twig, eleven years later it was the best thing.

Seth

• 5 weeks later...

We all missed the elephant in the room, folks. What about these words: "the way" ?

Might be used perfectly casually - "Can you tell me the way to [K-Mart/the pool/the next town...]"

or

"What's the best way to [do this job/handle this problem/pay for this item...]"

Still sometimes makes me do a double take and look carefully at whoever says it.

And then it's, "Mind, come back here!!" (to quote somebody dear -not- to our hearts) so that I can actually pay attention to what's being asked and not freeze for a few seconds with eyes large and defensive, while Waybrain takes over temporarily - firstly, wondering if the person asking had used the "proper" terminology.

We all missed the elephant in the room, folks. What about these words: "the way" ?

Might be used perfectly casually - "Can you tell me the way to [K-Mart/the pool/the next town...]"

or

"What's the best way to [do this job/handle this problem/pay for this item...]"

Somehow, I don't think it was on purpose, but this is probably the greatest example of marketing known to man. The phrase being so entrenched in our language. I too, have been out for a great many years, so the instances of 'flashbacks' are few and far between.

After getting my personal safety threatened by local leadership, however, it took about seven years (spiritual perfection, eh? :biglaugh: ) to not look at a green and black bumper sticker without having a chill go up and down my spine a few times. It didn't matter if it was an actual wayfer sticker or not.

Like I read somehwere, "This too, shall pass". I guess you have to have 'faith' it will. :spy:

Edited by Sushi

Got taken to a Salvation Army presentation last night, a sort of nativity story with music and the nativity cast members played by the Junior Band and a choir, sorry, songsters, at the front. All very well until the MC for the evening turned round and indicating the songsters (all in the SA uniform) and said, let's thank the Corps for their hard work this evening...

Brainfreeze and chills up the spine for quite some little time after that...