GreaseSpot Cafe

Health tips

polar bear

Perhaps this has been done, but I couldn't find anything.

I want to stay fit so I can drink, belch and fart my way into old age. Anyone have any tips (be nice).

My doctor told me to stop running because my knees are not so great anymore. He said an excersice bike or swimming would be better. So I bought an excersice bike and I love it, I can do it while watching Ellen on TV.

Just read a book where this world renowned doctor says to stay fit, you need 30 minutes of aerobics and weight training 3 times a week.

Any more or less will not do much.

He also says taking 2 baby aspirins a day will do wonders for your heart.

Avoid any and all trans fats aka hydrogenated oils. That is the true culprit behind heart problems. They are in many many processed foods, so read your labels.

For cooking I am a fan of olive oil and rarely use anything but that.

High fiber is getting easier to find and is also good. If you hate whole grain breads, Wonder has a "whole grain white bread" that even my kids will eat. I also use whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta. Read the labels for fiber content.

Polar Bear, good topic. I take a baby aspirin (81 milligrams), have for several years for specific reasons. One tip - my Doc told me that Ibuprofen has an anti-clotting effect like aspirin, and will block it So for mild pain relief, take the aspirin earlier or try acetaminophen.

Alpha Lipoic Acid - I take 200 milligrams a day in a supplement. It's an anti-toxidant that does good things for the body's cells. Anti-toxidants are all the rage these days, but A. L. acid has come up pretty stable as beneficial.

Fish. And spinach. Spinach ROCKS! A bag o' spinach is ounce for ounce one of the best things to have around. And eat.

I racked my knees and lower legs, similar to you P.B. Also had 2 herniated disks years ago. I have a treadmill, mid-sized one, that's about the right level for me. In fact, one of my New Year's Things To Do is to use it.

The buzz on cardio-vascular is 20 minutes minimum a day. I've got a 40 minute work out of 20 minutes treadmill and 20 minutes light weight and stretching exercises, with a warrm up and cool down. Doing it several times a week really makes a difference in how I feel. I sit nearly all day, so coming home and getting to it is a good method. I uh, really really plan to keep it up this year.

Edited by socks

Doc told me that Ibuprofen has an anti-clotting effect like aspirin, and will block it So for mild pain relief, take the aspirin earlier or try acetaminophen.

Hi socks, I don't understand that statement. Ibuprofen is supposed to be anti-clotting but it isn't effective, is that what you are saying? I take a baby asprin every as per doc instructions for heart myself and Ibuprofen or another pain reliever, depending on what's wrong, for pain relief.

Fish and fish oil

Beets (my wife's miracle cure)

low salt

low sugar

no corn syrup

moderate alcohol

exercise bike and walking

I dropped my BP from 160/95 to 120/77 and lost 16 lbs in the last 6 months. This stuff works.

I also stopped eating pork. If it's bad enough for Jews and Muslims, it's bad enough for me.

I don't eat pork any more either.

Low salt, low fat, and MODERATE portions when you eat will work.

Fish is better than chicken, which is better than beef.

But regardless of your choices -- exercise will ALWAYS complement it.

As they say up here in Minney-soda (on the billboards on the freeway) ---

"Groove your body 10 minutes at a time, 3 times a day"

:)

I can use a treadmill, but I spent some time on an elliptical trainer and found it was far superior! No strain on my back, hips or knees. There is absolutely NO pounding with that. It's like pedals on a treadmill...your feet travel in an ellipse but it's not a bike.

Hi Shellon - he said they both anti-clot but the aspirin is a more effective anti-clotter, and at lower dosages doesn't have much effect otherwise (although it could on the stomach I guess). He suggested keeping them apart by a few hours so the aspirin could do it's thing. Acetamenopen doesn't have much of an effect on me, for whatever reasons, so I still took the Ibuprofen too, just not right on top of the other. It was kind of a general "at your age" instruction to do the aspirin, "good insurance' as long as it didn't bug my stomach which it doesn't. I'd dislocated a finger at the time and for several months would have to pop a 1,000 milligrams of Ibu's at some point in the day to take the edge off it.

Edited by socks

I spent some time on an elliptical trainer and found it was far superior! No strain on my back, hips or knees. There is absolutely NO pounding with that. It's like pedals on a treadmill...your feet travel in an ellipse but it's not a bike.

krysilis - I agree, I loved the elliptical trainer! What fun.

I also agree about avoiding hydrogenated, processed food, and not to eat too much at a time; and not all of course, but a lot of people find they need to avoid too much wheat, especially refined flour. I know my family does better when we don't eat too much flour. Less congested.

Edited by Siouxzahn

Don't neglect your mental health. It goes hand in hand with the physical. Do something for yourself that helps you relax and eliminate stress, whether it be gardening, painting, building model ships, etc.

"Have fun while you can, fate's an awful thing."-------T-Bone Walker

If you're having medical tests done, find out when the results will be in, and call them. Keep calling every day, until you get your results. With all the different people handling your test, the data could get lost or delayed. When you call, this will alert your doctor's office that something is amiss.

Dried fruit, like bananas, peaches, and apricots can lower blood pressure.

And, well, Go Vegan!

Edited by VeganXTC

LOL! Chef, I like the way you think! :biglaugh:

My Daddy is the picture of health and always has been - runs 3-5 miles every day without fail, rain or shine - eats very healthy (no hydrogenated/trans fat, low sugar, high fiber, lean meats) and in moderation - doesn't smoke - seldom drinks - does recreational and relaxing things for mental health - isn't on any prescription medicine at all - etc. You get the idea...

Anyway, he had a "nuclear stress test"(?) shortly before Christmas and they found a blockage - went in to place one stent in his heart, but ended up putting in two - one for 50% blockage and one for 70% blockage. Getting old sucks!

It really hit home for me that even when we're doing all the right things, genetics can still kick us in the arse. It's scary to think of what kind of condition Daddy would be in at his age (if he'd even be around) if he hadn't been doing all the other things right for most of his life. I've decided to get very serious about taking care of myself since I know the genetics working against me.

Wash your hands. Wash your hands. Wash your hands.

Seriously, a woman I worked with, a teacher in a chem lab, washed her hands every time the classes changed all year and had not one single cold. And when you teach chemistry, you're handling papers from kids every day...and they do come to school with colds and stuff.

Even if you're not a teacher, wash your hands often.

My dad weighs about 120 pounds and has high cholesterol. Guess what??? I do too!!!

Dr. told me to eat 2 carrots daily, take metamucil, fish oil, Citracal, & exercise. Also, I have the beginning symptoms of arthritis so he told me to take an Alleve in the morning and evening. Chol. went from 262 last March to 238 in Sept. I go back in March for another check up.

Was also told to take garlic which I am doing since last month.

It is not fun getting older but I like this versus the other option!!!

BTW, my dad is 84 and my mom is 80. Both their moms lived to be in their 90's!!!

I have a recumbant exercise bike. It's great for those days when you're really too tired to exercise, but know you should anyways. It's really much easier on the tired psyche to mount a bike where the first thing you do is sit down and lean back (he he he). Then you just begin to pedal, however slowly you want. The principle "success breeds success" kicks in sooner or later and before you know it, you're racing along at 15 or 20 mph.

One thing that I KNOW makes a big difference in how I feel is plenty of really good recuperative REM sleep.

Sooooo, a good ten hours of great REM sleep, followed by a lazy wake up, and a shuffle over to the recumbant for a slow startup exercise session and you're good to go.

Edited by nolongerlurking

I'd have to go with foods that are rich in antioxidants, they protect against free radicals which cause damage to the cells which result in dieases such as cancers and heart and they also accelerate aging. Antioxidants also boost the immune system and slow down the aging process and exercise which is a given.

Cowgirl

Socks-Nu life brand has a product with alpha lipoic acid and ginkgo together. Ginkgo is good for helping the memory (as long as I remember to take it)

Waysider-good stuff on mental health=how about having fun on greasespot.

Now you've got me going on food-

Jim=beets are great. Come visit, I grow em and pickle em.

Try lots of brocoli too, it has more good stuff than most other veggies (lots of antioxidants)

Dear Abby-Whole grain breads-good idea they are much better than just whole wheat.

I have a bread maker, it's great-I go the the bulk food store buy flax seeds and whole grains to through in my bread.

Edited by polar bear

Lots of good ideas already have been offered by folks on this thread...

One thing I wanted to add... on the FOOD network, I saw a program the other day titled "10 days to a new you" or something close to that. The host has training/education/background as a nutritionist. I watched it and found that it was pretty much the same thing I'm learning in a class/support group I attend once/week for 10 weeks each calendar quarter at the local VA medical center. The primary reason for the group is to promote weight loss for a healthy and long life. It's been tremendously helpful to me. In just over the last two years, I've lost 65 pounds and no longer have the trouble getting around that used to hinder me.

I haven't done this, but I'd bet that if you GOOGLE the name of the host of that tv show (Elie Kreager, I think), you'd probably find what she was saying... Of course, you can GOOGLE various specific topics related to nutrition/exercise/relaxation (and other related mental health issues)... to get a plethora of excellent information.

And it certainly helps to filter out the extraneous when you ask folks (like this thread) what they know that has worked for them... it's sorta like having our own GSC support group for health topics. :)