GreaseSpot Cafe

quirks

excathedra

LOL! T-Bone & Potato, I do handwriting analysis!! :biglaugh: I'm very close to having my certification to be able to actually charge money for my services.

Vegan, I DESPISE talking on the phone! I'm with you - e-mail me or meet me somewhere, but please don't call me. :confused: Thank goodness the rest of my family must all have the same quirk.

I'm not necessarily a tree hugger, but I am a PAPER HATER. I hate it - you have to "do something" with paper.... trash it, shred it, file it...... One of my co-workers gave me a stamp for Christmas that says, "I don't have time to read this CRAP" ... He tried to find one that said, "Paper? I don't need no stinkin' paper!"

I recently switched from DirecTV to Dish solely because Directv couldn't figure out how to stop sending me paper bills (long story there). I like DirecTV much better technology wise, but can't stand the dadgum paper bill problem.... I'm switching my HELOC to a different bank only because the current one doesn't have online paperless bill pay option.... But I LOVE sending greeting cards.... go figure.... I'll send cards to friends for absolutely no reason. That's acceptable paper usage, imo.

Don't read over my shoulder. I'll just give you whatever it is that's so interesting and wait till your done.

I DESPISE speaker phones! If you're calling someone, why the heck do I need to listen to the phone ringing? Is it really so hard to hold the handset to your ear? I don't care how many voice mail messages you received while you were away from your desk and I certainly don't care to listen to them. We work in a cube farm - I already know way more about your life and business than I want to....

Edited by Belle

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems senor socks has certainly been sleeping around!

Reason: Somehow at the Texas BBQ Tom Strange picked up on this quirk of mine .... Tom made a good suggestion – just put my wallet in a front pocket – no – that’s too simple.

One of my quirks is that I notice other people's quirks!

also:

not putting the cap back on the toothpaste tube, or for that matter leaving anything uncapped that has a cap... unfortunately, she who must be obeyed has a quirk that she never puts the cap back on anything and loses them as soon as they are taken off...

although my desk my appear to be a mess to you, I know where everything is so please do not touch it! ...unfortunately, she who must be obeyed has a quirk of constantly wanting to tidy (although I think it's because she really wants to 'nose around' in my stuff)...

if you can take the dishes to the sink, you can take them to, and put them in, the dishwasher... and if the dishwasher has clean dishes in it, you can empty it!

thermostats... don't get me started but I will say this: how come the temperature you wanted it set at during the summer is too cold for you in the winter? at our house we play 'thermostat tag' in that almost every time one of us passes it we reset it... it's winter and we have tile floors! wear some socks or house slippers!

Spend as much time barefoot even in the dead of winter as I can during the day but wear socks to bed

Don't wear perfume during the day but put it on before I go to sleep

Like cold coffee

LIke very little Ice in sodas but tons in water

Eat all of one thing on my plate before eating another food

put butter on Peanut butter sandwiches

ROFLMAO! Tom, the "thermostat agreement" is going to be part of the wedding vows if I ever get married again. It stays between 64-68 year round with the option of going colder if I so desire, in the winter. :biglaugh:

I dip my hamburgers in ketchup - I like it too much to be subjected to the small amount you can actually put on a hamburger. I suppose this is why I don't have the ketchup germ quirk mentioned earlier.

LOL! T-Bone & Potato, I do handwriting analysis!! :biglaugh: I'm very close to having my certification to be able to actually charge money for my services.

yikes!!!! ok, now I have to find out, what can you do with handwriting analysis?

Vegan, I DESPISE talking on the phone! I'm with you - e-mail me or meet me somewhere, but please don't call me. :confused: Thank goodness the rest of my family must all have the same quirk.

I'm not necessarily a tree hugger, but I am a PAPER HATER. I hate it - you have to "do something" with paper.... trash it, shred it, file it...... One of my co-workers gave me a stamp for Christmas that says, "I don't have time to read this CRAP" ... He tried to find one that said, "Paper? I don't need no stinkin' paper!"

I recently switched from DirecTV to Dish solely because Directv couldn't figure out how to stop sending me paper bills (long story there). I like DirecTV much better technology wise, but can't stand the dadgum paper bill problem.... I'm switching my HELOC to a different bank only because the current one doesn't have online paperless bill pay option.... But I LOVE sending greeting cards.... go figure.... I'll send cards to friends for absolutely no reason. That's acceptable paper usage, imo.

Don't read over my shoulder. I'll just give you whatever it is that's so interesting and wait till your done.

I DESPISE speaker phones! If you're calling someone, why the heck do I need to listen to the phone ringing? Is it really so hard to hold the handset to your ear? I don't care how many voice mail messages you received while you were away from your desk and I certainly don't care to listen to them. We work in a cube farm - I already know way more about your life and business than I want to....

Hey Belle, sounds like you could make some money consulting Scott Adams (author/creator of Dilbert)! :D

I put my groceries in the cart by category (dry boxes, cans and jars, refrigerator, freezer) and it drives me crazy that baggers don't seem to have a clue these days how to group things in the bags and how not to overload or underload each bag. It's really not that hard, people...

I never fill the sink up with water to wash my dishes. I just run the water while I soap a few and then rinse them. I remember getting chewed out over this while in twi for wasting water but hey, I pay the water bill and why do I want to swish my dishes in already-used water? Once the first dish is rinsed, that water isn't clean anymore!

I brush my teeth in the shower... a habit started in college where bathroom space was scarce and people would stand there and stare at you while you used the sink, waiting their turn. (Back off, Barbie!!)

I often reference movies, books, etc. (Mostly in live conversation rather than online). I can't help it... lines just pop into my head and out my mouth. You wouldn't believe all the puzzled looks I get... Therefore I absolutely love shows like Gilmore Girls and House which frequently slip such references into their dialog without really acknowleging them. You either get it or you don't. --- By the way, cudos to Tom Strange for his Rumpole reference!

Oh, and I also seem to switch between cursive and print willy-nilly. Worse yet, if I am filling out a form I will stick to print, but switch between Mixed Caps and ALL CAPS without even realizing I'm doing it. When the heck did I start doing this weirdness? Somebody help me!!!

Edited by TheHighWay

Oh, and I also seem to switch between cursive and print willy-nilly. Worse yet, if I am filling out a form I will stick to print, but switch between Mixed Caps and ALL CAPS without even realizing I'm doing it. When the heck did I start doing this weirdness? Somebody help me!!!

I started doing that a couple of years ago... drives me crazy! coLORaDO, oreGON... ack!

I keep a glass of water on my nightstand and the last thing I do before I fall asleep, I have to have a drink. If I have to talk or cough or clear my throat...I have to take another sip. Too many noises and I'll have had so much that I have to get up, go to the bathroom, and start all over again. Can you say "OCD tendencies"?

I often reference movies, books, etc. (Mostly in live conversation rather than online). I can't help it... lines just pop into my head and out my mouth. You wouldn't believe all the puzzled looks I get... Therefore I absolutely love shows like Gilmore Girls and House which frequently slip such references into their dialog without really acknowleging them. You either get it or you don't. --- By the way, cudos to Tom Strange for his Rumpole reference!

They sorta do this in NCIS (Tuesdays on CBS), but one of the characters is a movie trivia nut, so they sometimes mention the name of the movie too... And another of the characters, the Israeli on loan to NCIS (Ziva) speaks plenty good English, but is not familiar with or idioms... which inevitably leads to several malaprops in each episode. I think THOSE are hilarious.

hey, dot--nice behind!

i have to keep the water running when i brush my teeth. sometimes, because i hate to waste water, i very purposefully shut the water off. but it always ends up back on before i'm done. it's just one of the little OCD things i do--but the only one i can think of now. (of course, now i won't be able to stop thinking about it until i can remember others! thanks alot, ex!)

I just noticed this a few weeks ago--but its been going on for probably 2 to 3 years.

I go out to eat just about every morning for breakfast and have to sit at the same table, in the same chair facing the same way.

If someone is sitting at 'my table', I think "why are those people sitting at MY table?"

Another table is alright but disappointing, but if for some reason i have to face the other way in the restaurant, it throws me off a little.....

Im not as bad as Jack Nicholson in "As Good as It Gets", but I think Im moving in that direction

I can't stand it when people don't look at my face when they're talking to me - if they're busy (i.e. doing dishes) or something, that's fine, but I hate it when people engage me in conversation and look at the floor or turn their backs.

---------------

Now, my oldest son, Kristopher, is the poster child of quirks...

He won't sleep with a empty cup or glass on his night stand - he places it outside his bedroom door, in the hallway, like you see in hotels when people are done with their room service tray. He has to have a nightlight on and his bedroom door has to be almost -but not quite - shut. He listens to music - the same CD - every night and doesn't want it turned on until he has been tucked in with the covers up to his chin. He has to have his security blanket - called "Yia Yia Blanket" with him when he sleeps or chills out. However, Yia Yia Blanket is a secret and he hides it in his closet whenever a friend comes over to play - he has told me that he has not told any of his friends about it and has made me promise not to tell anyone. He also won't go to bed until I first make his bed - the covers have to be perfect!

Kristopher hates seeing me in my pajamas - he gives me heck when he sees them and says, "Mommy, you gotta go get dressed NOW!" Sweatpants with a drawsting tie at the waist will make him run out of the room - he hates them, for some reason. He can't stand it when I get my hair cut - he wants it back to however it was before the haircut. He gives me the greatest amount of guff about it!

I pity the woman who hooks up with him... (he's only 5 years old - I can't imagine his list of quirks 20 years from now...)

Edited by ChasUFarley

mstar, do you only step on the white squares on the floor? ...refuse to step on lines?

:) Not Yet!

I do have an obsession for tools, if Im in a hardware store or Home Depot and see a simple hand tool that I like ( like a tape measure or something) I'll buy it. It hardly ever dawns on me until later that I may already have a dozen of them at my shop already

I pity the woman who hooks up with him... (he's only 5 years old - I can't imagine his list of quirks 20 years from now...)

I'd say! Teach him to avoid high maintenance women! :biglaugh:

Edited by doojable

I always put my left sock and shoe on first. For some reason they seem to fit better that way!

I also always count the eggs as I put them in that little plastic thing in the fridge...even tho' I know there are 12 in a dozen.

Okay, why to you as well? When you do the other foot first it doesn't feel right -- that is funny

i really need to read these great posts again

i was thrown for such a loop when lisa told us her darling dad, long gone, died. it was just too fast and such a horrible shock. i still can't quite accept it (may you rest in peace, dearest george)

--

i really enjoyed the handwriting stuff. ohmygod especially about changing it so as not be analyzed

i myself, when i admire certain individuals' handwriting, i incorporate their style into my own