GreaseSpot Cafe

quirks

excathedra

You probably think this song is about you! :biglaugh:

who, me quirky?! Hah!

Well, okay. I s'pose.

I go to a weight loss support/education group at my local VA medical center... though they all weigh in every week, I refuse to do that and ONLY weigh in once/month and it must be on the same scale in the same place every time...

I'm sure I have more... as I think of them, I'll make a note and post it as soon as I get back to the computer.

I don't blame you, I have to wear the SAME outfit to be weighed in -- and I remove my glasses cause they add weight

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have far too many quirks to list, and I now celebrate them.

my fiance and I put certain things on our "list of psychotic hatreds" which we share with each other so we can work at mutally respecting the others' dearest neuroses.

sadly, my quirks get no respect at home because my children run roughshod over pretty much everything, so I stick to the basics:

never drop dishes in the sink if you're too short to see what's in there.

if you make a cappuccino, you must (MUST) blow steam out through the steaming nozzle when you're done.

coats go on the coat-rack. mommy goes insane when she sees a coat on the table or floor.

do not put empty containers in the fridge. ever.

if you open a box of cereal, the cereal goes into a gallon ziploc bag and then back into the box. this quirk is actually very neurotic and has to do with having to eat cereal with bugs and mouse turds in it when I was a kid.

now, if I could, I'd get people to stop talking to me, but unfortunately my kids don't consider that reasonable and refuse to contact me on IM. my co-workers likewise refuse to respect that, except for my friend in the next cube who prefers interaction via chat as well.

it must be on the same scale in the same place every time...

i understand

when i weigh myself i make sure it's in the EXACT same spot as it was yesterday

potater you makin me cry, i'm so with you

on the cereal

---

and on the chat stuff

we all work a few feet from each other but we're lucky enough to IM each other

i meant it annoys some of my coworkers that i can't work with music in the background

the girl who sits right in my face is comfy with IM'ing each other

she's a wonderful nut who i love dearly

Well, my family tells me my most annoying quirk is being a total bed hog. My dearly beloved tells me I have some kind of built in radar that plants me firmly in the exact middle of any bed I sleep in. When daughter and I went on vacation together recently, she insisted that any hotel room we got had to have 2 twin beds in it, rather than one double. She absolutely cannot abide my bed hog habits, even thought I am asleep, and totally unaware.

But when we got to my friend's house where we stayed for almost 2 weeks, alas only one double bed in the guest room. Poor daughter ended up sleeping on the sofa the entire time. Try as I might, I just can't seem to stick to one side of the bed. :sleep1:

Quirk: I'm right-handed, but I wear my watch on my right hand.

Reason: I had a tetanus shot when I was young that caused my left arm to lock out, and I couldn't see my watch. My arm is fine now, of course, but I just got used to the right-hand watch thing.

Quirk: In graduate school, I used to study with teh TV on, just to have noise. I pretty much always have the TV on at home, now, even when I'm not watching.

Reason: I have four brothers and sisters, and I lived in a fraternity in college. I need background noise.

George

I hate talking on the phone. E-mail me, or talk to me face to face, but don't call me.

I do really great impressions-of animals.

I don't drink liquids when I eat. Wonder where I got that quirk? :rolleyes:

I absolutely have to sleep with a fan or white noise machine - I can not sleep without it.

I do this also, much to the consternation of my lovely bride (she seems to be one of those 'cold' people). I do this even in the dead of winter. I'll be buried under the covers, but will have the fan going. The only bare skin exposed will be the left side of my face. It may be a case of growing up Joisey, where my lullaby was the sound of fire engines, police cars, etc., but hey.

When I was a kid, back when the Earth was cooling off, I had a fan in my bedroom. I'm sure it annoyed the crap out of my father, cause the window was open too, :evildenk: (can you say, passive aggressive?, I knew you could). It may be a case of growing up Joisey, where my lullaby was the sound of fire engines, police cars, etc., but hey.

if you open a box of cereal, the cereal goes into a gallon ziploc bag and then back into the box. this quirk is actually very neurotic and has to do with having to eat cereal with bugs and mouse turds in it when I was a kid.

Now I have to go out and buy some gallon ziploc bags....

When I was a kid, we always had lots'o snow every winter and everyone shoveled their walk.

Now I live somewhere that doesn't have anywhere near as much snow and almost no one on my street shovels-------except for me. I feel like I have forsaken some sort of sacred duty if my walk goes unshoveled for any length of time.

Quirks, eh? Great idea for a thread, Excathedra! I’ve got a bunch – but 2 odd ones come to mind right now:

Quirk: When I write with pen and paper it is a combination of print and cursive. It is such a handicap that I’d rather type on a computer keyboard any day – even though I have to hunt and peck – it’s still faster.

Reason: One day while coming home from High School I saw a poster on the city bus that had something about analyzing handwriting. I don’t even remember what the point of the ad was but I do remember it had an example of printing, said something about the person that writes that way – and something about the person who writes cursive style. I started writing both ways – sometimes mid-word – thinking I would throw off anybody who would try to analyze my writing style.

Quirk: I alternate the wrist I wear my watch on and the hip pocket I put my wallet in – every month.

Reason: Somehow at the Texas BBQ Tom Strange picked up on this quirk of mine . Years ago I read somewhere how that electronic pulse of a digital watch could possible cause wrist cancer. Okay – don’t laugh – this was in my latter TWI-daze. So I’d alternate on one wrist for a month – then on the other. Somewhere along the line I also noticed my wallet bothering my Sciatic Nerve if I did a lot of driving [also in my TWI-daze]. So it became a ritual – to alternate watch and wallet to the left/right side at the beginning of each month. The thing is – I now wear an analog watch – it gets wound up by movement – but I keep moving it every month anyway. Tom made a good suggestion – just put my wallet in a front pocket – no – that’s too simple.

I started writing both ways – sometimes mid-word – thinking I would throw off anybody who would try to analyze my writing style.

oh my gosh. I didn't think there would be another with a phobia of handwriting analysis. my brother!

I'm with you Mr. St. George when it comes to noise. I put the TV on too but I find a dull station with talk or else I start to get interested.

I USED to do this... then I get sick of certain commercials like:

Bowflex

Leptoprin/leptopril and the one that starts "why did YOUR last diet fail"

the guy with the yellow and black suit with question marks all over it (Matthew Lesko)

anything billy mays was pitching (like Kaboom cleaners/Oxyclean)

Now when I need background noise, I turn the tv on (I have Dish Network) to the sirius music channels... which have almost no commercials.