GreaseSpot Cafe

Social Ineptness

Belle

Wanderer, posted about calling an old girlfriend and his description of their conversation got me to thinking about how "odd" I/we must have seemed to "normal" people. It's one thing to tell people about your "church" but another to bring every conversation around to a teaching about the Bible and your group.

I know that for a time, I felt uncomfortable in groups of people who weren't in TWI. I didn't know what to say, how to act and really just felt like an oddball. Oddly enough, when we'd try to have a "party" with our fellowship or branch it was also odd. People would come to the party expecting to be on a schedule and idle chit chat, generic chatter never happened. People were so afraid of saying something that might get them in trouble or be considered inappropriate.

It sounds like many people who get involved with TWI and some of the offshoots buy what they're selling hook line & sinker and only live for "the ministry" - they become socially retarded. They turn their lives over to these people and there's so much censoring of our thoughts, beliefs and time that people really don't continue to develop and they quit thinking for themselves. They're almost catatonic in the social sense. They don't know how to talk about anything but "the Word" according to TWI, even current event topics are discussed in light of the latest teaching from HQ.

Ignorantly...I just started a similar thread today. I located an old lover who got me involved in the first place. Those were truly the most confusing years of my life and I was a bit terrified to revisit them. She's the same...in a splinter group. When we talk, it's pesonal for a minute, but breaks into a long teaching each time. I gently break out, and add a gentle paralell to my own life, some more genuine talk followed by more teaching on her part. Don't get me wrong...I'm a spiritual person, but I can discuss a multitude of issues, without lapsing into regurgitated Wayspeak. The saddest part is now she's in her mid 60's unmarried, and lonely I guess.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, when we'd try to have a "party" with our fellowship or branch it was also odd. People would come to the party expecting to be on a schedule and idle chit chat, generic chatter never happened.

I don't recall ever having a real 'party' w/ TWI... it was always some type of witnessing stint behind a party cloak. Never fun... always stuffy, fake, and riddled w/ awkward moments~ :rolleyes: Nothing like 'real life' !

I feel like an oddball. at a birthday party recently, I had to go find a place to cry by myself for a few minutes because the social interaction was so painful that I felt like I won't ever be able to make friends with people.

the interactions at twi meetings was so shallow and the approved topics were so few, I think I lost the desire to converse with people long ago and just put out the efforted expected. just try talking about something interesting, and you'd get shut down.

thanks twi.

I remember stupid Halloween parties where you had to go as a Bible character. One time I put on black leotards and sewed branches to it with orange and yellow crepe paper and went as the "burning bush."

One time we had a surprise birthday party for our branch leader but we weren't respectful enough during the party so branch leader and wife cancelled Sunday morning fellowships to punish us.

Glad you brought this up Belle. Certainly became a problem for me.

I'm beginning to overcome it and have in many ways. We as a family don't see to many people socially except at work or family things. I was always stand offish from family and they knew it. But lately I've been getting more involved in the conversations and hanging with them. Just talking about nothing or anything helps blow the doors off of that apprehensive feeling.

Belle I agree and it all started in the late 1990's when after fellowship people would

have fun share their hart and just talk.

Then the rules came down that after fellowship we should talk the word, what blessed you

the most and how you can apply it in life.

This came after a teaching about witchcraft. King Saul messing with the witch.

I looked at my friend and said lets go get a book on spells.

That did not go over well. Since then everyone blabs and rehashes the teaching.

Any party is the worst. I once invited a coworker to a superbowl party.

He showed up with a 12 pack, he tried to hand them out but no one would

take a beer but me. He wanted to talk sports because his team was playing

but everyone else was talking about the bible.

He hit the food table had a beer and left.

I got a talking to for not telling him not to bring beer.

This party was made up of the most non-football fans only there because the branch leader

thought this would be a good outreach tool. One guy came and blew out.

I have always blew off way partys for that reason.

My favorite was a new years eve party where we prayed in the new year.

A party is a party lets have fun.

I remember being in Alaska, and I think it was a birthday party or something. They were inviting families to come to this kid's birthday party. Well, our bc didn't like it because they weren't invited.

He said if anything were to have happened, the ministry would have been blamed. Go figure!

Edited by Lori

"Then the rules came down that after fellowship we should talk the word, what blessed you

the most and how you can apply it in life."

gag me ugh

Mastering the art of small talk reallly breaks down barriers. The best salesmen I know really know how to use it to their advantage by getting to know clients. Being well read in current events, sports, etc. can be a tool that opens people up to talk about the weightier (sp) things of life. People who charge out of the gate with some heavy agenda without taking the time to get to know me is a real turn off. What is wrong with a conversation about the recent Super Bowl? The Colt's coach Tony Dungy is a real cool guy that has used football as a stage to communicate his Christian beliefs. He does it with class, IMO.

TWI, as in most things has it wrong here too.

"Then the rules came down that after fellowship we should talk the word, what blessed you

the most and how you can apply it in life."

gag me ugh

Yes, I recall the 'Ruling'... the fellowship coordinators at the time had three children, two in college, one in middle school, both parents working... their youngest (female) was being harassed and followed by some guy in a car on her walk home from school... it really bothered her, and she started talking about it...

She was immediately CUT off, given a STERN look and told that we don't talk about negative things.. PERIOD!

After that, the 'subject' couldn't be discussed... the parents wouldn't hear a word.... the strange things to me was, I worked right around the corner, and left about the same time she was walking home... I could have given her a ride...

I tried saying something... but got that same STERN look :doh:

One time we had a surprise birthday party for our branch leader but we weren't respectful enough during the party so branch leader and wife cancelled Sunday morning fellowships to punish us.

Isn't that sorta like giving kids a suspension from school? Oh. No. No meeting on Sunday morning? What ever will we do? :who_me:

Yes, I recall the 'Ruling'... the fellowship coordinators at the time had three children, two in college, one in middle school, both parents working... their youngest (female) was being harassed and followed by some guy in a car on her walk home from school... it really bothered her, and she started talking about it...

She was immediately CUT off, given a STERN look and told that we don't talk about negative things.. PERIOD!

After that, the 'subject' couldn't be discussed... the parents wouldn't hear a word.... the strange things to me was, I worked right around the corner, and left about the same time she was walking home... I could have given her a ride...

I tried saying something... but got that same STERN look :doh:

yikes, what weirdos. some people shouldn't breed.

my ex expected us to be all goodness and light to make him look good for the other TWIts. everything had to be "positive"... except, of cours, when he and the various leaders who felt like it was their job to "help" us explained all our "opportunities" and why our lives were so awful (it was my fault of course, for not appreciating my husband enough).

quote: Any party is the worst. I once invited a coworker to a superbowl party.

He showed up with a 12 pack, he tried to hand them out but no one would

take a beer but me. He wanted to talk sports because his team was playing

but everyone else was talking about the bible.

He hit the food table had a beer and left.

I got a talking to for not telling him not to bring beer.

How lame! In fall of '78 there was a guys' way home and a girls' way home plus 2 twigs and the limb leader in the city where I was. One Friday night there was a party at the girls' way home. When the limb leader got there he says, "You're never gonna know what your limit is until you hit it once or twice. So don't be afraid to have fun, OK?" Must be something wrong with our scale of values, eh?

Took years to even like being around people ( I mean when I wasn't partying)

Took even more years to figure out that people liked being around me

Only in the last 5 or so years do I really enjoy people and not feel that I am some sort of disgrace that should be thankful to be allowed in polite society

Don't worry, it gets easier the longer you are out of TWI. When I first left I felt like an oddball, and I thought I would never fit in. I felt like I owed everyone an explanation about being in a cult. I got over that quickly. Hehe. First thing I quit smiling at everyone, and the world didn't fall apart. I realized I was NOT everyone's best friend and I sure as shooting didn't want to be either.

Chit chat, small talk. It's easy. Talk about traffic, the newest coffee flavor, a new book you read (go get some) things like that.

The easiest ice-breaker I know is to ask questions -- not to be fishing for an opening to 'sell' the Bible but because you actually WANT to hear the answer!!

If you can get other people talking about themselves, it won't be long before a topic comes up where you can contribute to the conversation.

I never had problems with someone steering my conversations, the way you all are mentiong here. I guess I never the felt the pressure to bring one into the fold like you did..I let God do it..

Good suggestions Highway.

I never had problems with someone steering my conversations, the way you all are mentiong here. I guess I never the felt the pressure to bring one into the fold like you did..I let God do it..I like people and always felt confident in a large group or small..I also not an attention getter..I dont need light on me to perform..

altho, Belle- this was definitely the way it became later in 90's in my area..especialy when i asked about some of concerns..this has nothing to do with partying tho..I guess being overly flirty or something would have been an issue.

Good suggestions Highway.

Edited by likeaneagle

God Bless from Johannesburg, crime capitol of the world!

Bumpy is not going to relate to all of you on this thread or any other, but every adventure finds new adventures. This time someone from Sweden who knows so many people from my past in Stockholm. He said to me, "you can only look for your golf ball for so much time". I cannot type on a Swedish keyboard, itäs too frustrating!

Free advice...take an adventure tour, get away from all of this communication, meet new people. Every new person you meet in life is a MIRACLE!

South Africa is so Beautiful with all the animals and contrasts of Africa. There IS a life OUTSIDE of your past, but you must breakout of this constant over analysis of what happened during your time in twi and ces.

Tomorrow is an overnight train to Cape Town. Lions and tigers and Bears...oh my!

Senegal is so far away!

There IS a life OUTSIDE of your past, but you must breakout of this constant over analysis of what happened during your time in twi and ces.

thanks, I love free toilet paper.