GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Productions latest dance moves

bliss

quote: But I would love to hear her again someday. Her name-Vicky Allen.

She was present at CFFM events. Let's see...they debuted the Tipp City property in June of '98. Perhaps that was when I saw her with her sister. I know that organization has changed somewhat since then, but you might try the CFF website; they might have a link to her music.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vicky and Ellie Ray Allen live in central North Carolina

Interesting. The video won't load anymore. http://www.theway.org/ also comes up server not found.

The dancing wasn't that bad was it? :biglaugh:

Did a search of the words "the way international" and the first four pages of results were links to other sites writing about the Way, got tired of looking for them. Tried "feeling lucky" and that definitely didn't go to the Way's site.

This must be how they defiine "prevailing". :wink2:

Edited by socks

Something I learned recently...

There has been a tremendous group of extremely talented gospel singers around for a long time that Wierwille "borrowed from"...

I have recently watched a number of videos put out by Bill Gaither (homecoming series), featuring such gospel legends as the "Happy Goodmans", The "Blackwood brothers", the "Cathedrals" and "Jake Hess"...among many others...truly inspirational music.

While watching these videos, I couldn't help but notice many songs, mannerisms, and formats that Wierwille attempted to copy with Way Productions..."He touched me" was written by Bill Gaither and when I watched him lead it, it reminded me of how Wierwille would try to emulate him...I heard JD Sumner do the "Touch of the Masters Hand"...wayyyyyyyyy before VeePee did it...Vic's obsession with forming a quartet, no doubt, was motivated by the success of the Blackwood brothers and the Cathedrals...

did Wierwille EVER come up with anything on his own???...ever???

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

...And Wierwille never mentioned these great groups to his followers...instead of blessing "his people" with this great music, he attempted to copy it under the big tent of "Wierwille world"...it had to have HIS blessing upon it or it was, no doubt, a counterfeit from the "god of this world"...the guy was a cheesy counterfeit from top to bottom.

Interesting. The video won't load anymore. http://www.theway.org/ also comes up server not found.

I suspect they are either working on their website, or they are just having server problems. This has happened before. Give it a day or two...

Actually, I remember VPW being very upfront about his HUGE admiration for the Mills Brothers. He visited Emporia and spent a whole meeting talking about their style, their harmonies, their mannerisms, and his desire for twi to have exactly such a group. And yes, I'm sure the Victors were his idea of doing just that. I have to admit, I liked the Victors. Granted, that was back in my completely-way-brained-haze... maybe I should go back and re-listen to see if I would still like them today. But my recollection was that they were some VERY talented guys. And Way Prod back then wasn't the robot-fest that it is today. Controlled, yes, but it still allowed for the performers to have some individual personality and style. (not a lot, but some)

Some points to ponder regarding The Mills Brothers:

1. They were not a Gospel group.

2.They represented a segment of society that VP was trying to reach out to at that time.

(African Americans)

3. They were essentially local even though they were internationally known.

(They were from Piqua, Ohio which is near New Knoxville.)

Not sure where I was going with that.

Just some loose thoughts to mull over.

Anyone remember "Foreordained"?

(Also a Gospel quartet.)

The dancing wasn't that bad was it? :biglaugh:

Did a search of the words "the way international" and the first four pages of results were links to other sites writing about the Way, got tired of looking for them. Tried "feeling lucky" and that definitely didn't go to the Way's site.

This must be how they defiine "prevailing". :wink2:

It's probably devil spirits clogging the tubes of the internet.

Yah, the site is bu'ted. Broked. Unworking.

The VPster loved gospel quartets, It certainly wasn't a "stealing" of that sound, quartets are quartets. Gaithers, Blackwoods, all of that kind of stuff and he did talk about it quite a bit for a spell there. Had a group called the Brauny (sp?) Boys up at Rome City at one point, probably around 1978, and they performed in the chapel. They carried a pianist, bass player and drummer. Were pretty good as memory serves. He talked about the Mills Brothers too, which caught my ear, as they were popular on TV when I was a kid and I always liked their smooth sound. ("Glow Little Glow worm, glimmer, glimmer...")

That gospel quartet sound really has a texture using the tight 3 part harmony with a bass part, and every quartet has to have a good bass singer to really cut it, along with a strong tenor. They can sound gritty or smooth. It's not really my bag but I do like the sound, too.

JN learned a tune by a group, can't remember the name but they were pretty well known it seems like, an older group, and their guys came in I remember. Fuzzy memory but I do recall their recordings had a good guitarist on it, they incorporated a bluesy sound in the music and their guitarist had had a nice sound that was easy to pick up. I remember we knocked the music out pretty quickly, and the guy came up to me and was clearly surprised I learned it so quickly and sounded just like him, "how're you doing that?" It was pretty straightforward blues lines, and the guy had played it nice and smooth with a little bite to it. Not hard to copy, and it figured into what we could do, no problem.

Highway, the Victors (ya gotta just love that name, uh yeah) did sound good. At the start there was a guy named Tom W, who had to back out just a month or so after they started. The guy could sing his butt off and was one of the funniest people I can remember. Way off the chart in the humor department. As they developed over time I thought they sounded really good.. It was an interesting period there.

I couldn't compare that vocal smurfing Way Prod's doing on the videos to anything resembling the gospel quartet tradition. It's just bland "harmony" with little or no dynamics.

Edited by socks

Fr*nk poppin and lockin!

We were in the same family cork with the St*tz family. Back in the day little fr*nk could dance just like Michael Jackson. Back then that was cool....now not so much. Although, the whole break dancing thing is making a come back in highschool aged kids. Still the whole video....suuuuucks. Poor Fr*nk. Fogive him Lord for he knows not what he do. be do be do.

Speaking of old school dancing vids. You can't beat this from Hellzapoppin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTg5V2oA_hY

or the the old school gone new with these two dudes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYZM4Wj7ZI...ated&search=

Groucho -- and don't forget the name of the quartet --- THE VICTORS

Self-serving, or what????

As I remember it (and I'm quite certain of it)........when vpw's quartet were in the beginning stages of performing, they needed a name for this new quartet. I was working on hq staff at the time and anyone who wanted to submit a name could do so. About a week or so went by.......and one name that was submitted was to vpw's liking.

The name submitted: The Victors

The name was submitted by: Rosalie Fox Rivenbark