GreaseSpot Cafe

Big Fat (but unsubstantiated) Claims

What About It

You know one way I heard it told was that the errant statements were left in on purpose, to show the progression of the ministry and how "we change when we learn better." The contradictions should be viewed as historical information, and we should always resolve conflict by siting the most current teaching. The "present truth" is accurate teaching.

I agree it is not changed to avoid admitting mistakes. (One admission after all opens the door to countless other admissions that are in order.) I also think the contradictions are left on purpose to retain a certain ambiguity and deny-ability. Aside from the topics already mentioned - can you lose rewards or can't you? is the judgement for reward and punishment or reward only? Is debt always wrong or is it sometimes acceptable? What is god's view premarital and extramarital sex? Just a few moving targets that come to mind. The answer depends on the time and the teacher. Written and verbal teaching present another gap in consistency.

It is fascinating to hear some of these accounts though of attempts at homogenizing the message behind the scenes.

Boy, that first paragraph is a great marketing spin: show how the ministry "learned and changed." But how can you show that if you erase the past? Not to mention the fact VPW claimed from the beginning that he was teaching "the accuracy of the Word" which was in fact, his interpretation.

Ah well, let's be glad we're out of TWI. Life is precious. Live every minute fully.

Cheers!

Edited by penworks

Well, this may not fit with this thread-but the WwwwWWWWS that witnessed to me had me comvinced not to buy a certain brand because a symbol on their products represented devil worship. There I was for a couple years scanning packages before I bought them to make sure that symbol wasn't there. How silly-I never found out for myself if it was true. :confused:

How silly-I never found out for myself if it was true. :confused:

Biblically, it was alright to eat meat that had been sacrificed to idols, as long as it wasn't a stumbling block. My question to the genius that told you that is what difference would it make?

Well, this may not fit with this thread-but the WwwwWWWWS that witnessed to me had me comvinced not to buy a certain brand because a symbol on their products represented devil worship. There I was for a couple years scanning packages before I bought them to make sure that symbol wasn't there. How silly-I never found out for myself if it was true. :confused:

Was it that tired old saw about Proctor and Gamble?

That one was so easily disproven, I heard it debunked in junior high school.

So much bs grew wings in twi, but a good websearch can debunk so much of the bunk

we were told.

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/procter.asp

This is probably the first website you should check, if you're looking to see

if various tall tales of twi had some basis in fact.

Edited by WordWolf

There were different versions of the P&G story. The most amusing was that the CEO had supposedly said on some talk show that he had sold out to Satan for his (and P&G's) success. Of course, no one could find the actual tape. Equally looney (pun intended) was the idea that the "man in the moon" symbol was designed so that in the mirror the curls on his beard look like "666." (It actually did, but I doubt there was diabolical influence.)

When I went to work for Dow, one of my co-workers in graduate school went to P&G. I asked him how it was, working for Satan. "Great! We have naked women everywhere and drug breaks every hour!" :lol:

George

Hello, I'd like to weight in about something that I heard. A fellow AC grad told me once that 2 of the most powerful influences in American culture were # 1(what or whom) and # 2 The Moody Blues.

Anyone ever hear this? Can anyone elaborate on this. I think I might not have quoted this unsubstantiated claim right, but that's the gist of it!

~The Moody Blues~ They were seed of the serpent for sure! :nono5:

Prince took PFAL, but left afterwards because he was possessed.

Here's what I know about the Prince thing. When I lived in Idaho, one of the believers--she was WC--played the guitar. She was really good and used to play with Prince, before the Prince and the Revolution days. Anyway, she was in his band, but is one of those talented musicians who hung it up for "the Word." I think that's about as close as Prince came to taking PFAL.

I wonder where she is now. I know she's not WC and is divorced. Hopefully she's playing guitar and touring again.

I guess if I'd have continued reading the thread, I'd have seen that you already knew this. :confused:

Edited by What About It

Oh yeah, I remember that too. Some people in my area had me looking for a symbol that was on several household products, Procter and Gamble, and others, if I remember correctly. It was supposed to support communism. I found the symbol on Tide laundry detergent and reported it to some girls in my fellowship. They "confirmed" it for me...yep, don't buy this product because it's made by a company that supports communism. Years later when I'm on staff at HQ, what laundry detergent are they using? Yep, Tide. Buncha double-talk.

Hello, I'd like to weight in about something that I heard. A fellow AC grad told me once that 2 of the most powerful influences in American culture were # 1(what or whom) and # 2 The Moody Blues.

Anyone ever hear this? Can anyone elaborate on this. I think I might not have quoted this unsubstantiated claim right, but that's the gist of it!

~The Moody Blues~ They were seed of the serpent for sure! :nono5:

I just wondered about this statement that I heard from an AC grad. Does anyone else here remember something along those lines? And what was the #1 influence in our culture? :blink:

I just wondered about this statement that I heard from an AC grad. Does anyone else here remember something along those lines? And what was the #1 influence in our culture? :blink:

Don't remember this, but if #2 is the Moody Blues, then #1 has to be the Dire Straits.

The biggest one I remember was one LCM seemed to complain about every other week and that was that the Pope was everything from the Antichrist to seed of the serpent, etc. Week after week the Pope was constantly under fire by LCM.

That's only because the Pope had a bigger following..