GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Promo on TV

Nottawayfer

OMG, OldSkool, I can't believe you found that video! That's frickin hilarious! Makes me so glad I'm an outie now. It reeks of backward, out of touch, behind the times, old blue-hairs running the good ole' church. That fellowship shot looked just as dry and stale as the fellowships really were. Yuk.

I watched it. Hey, what a nice video. What a lovely group of people, a little "dressed up" and churchy looking, but okay. Nice research team, all studying and discussing between themselves. Clearly not racially biased; note the darker-skinned people on the team.

And it's it lovely that at every fellowship they make it available to share of one's abundance?

'Scuse me...barfffff

Gosh, I am really tempted to use these Facebook Share buttons here guys.........not good.

I still have many innies on my FB account....

Hmmmmm, thinking..........

Your welcome, all!

The other notable point in the infomercial is how they portray themselves doing "research." Basically, they are using international outreach department staff to make it appear they have a research team. Jean-Yves DeLisle, St3v3 Cr0mm3tt, J3n3tt3r L0m@x, and Pi3rre R@ph@3l B@3nd3 are in the library in the OSC. Completely staged, completely false, AND they are all using books, pencils, and papers. That is the way internationals romanticized imagery of true biblical research. No computers, do not use Bibleworks, or the many, many resources on the internet. Nope, do it all with books, pen and paper. Why? Computer programs are "less accurate" than printed materials. As if printed materials are 100% accurate?

Hold up.... :smilie_kool_aid:

There now that I got some kool aid I am feeling a little better about things. :rolleyes:

Heh, heh - yeah OS,... and now that even books are becomming easier to get digitally than in hardcopy --- Thw Way International is going to fall even further behind!

I am curious just how much "growth" they received from this use of $29 grand from their $54 million of ill gotten gain?

I mean, when you watch the stupid infomercial, they give you only one way to contact them.. You know, if you actually were interested.. And that was by their website. Well, you go to their frickin website, and now how do you contact them? Ohhh.. By snail mail!! Writing a freakin letter.. You know, how many people really are going to go through all that work just to finally contact them? My guess is that clip would be seen mainly by people who are sitting on their butts watching TV, so how many of those couch potatoes really are willing to do a bunch of work just to contact them..

What a waste of all that abundance!

Edited by TrustAndObey

I mean, when you watch the stupid infomercial, they give you only one way to contact them.. You know, if you actually were interested.. And that was by their website. Well, you go to their frickin website, and now how do you contact them? Ohhh.. By snail mail!! Writing a freakin letter.. You know, how many people really are going to go through all that work just to finally contact them?

If my memory serves me correctly, Rosalie keeps the snail mail contact on the website so people have to put a little effort into contacting them. That way it supposedly helps weed out people who aren't "serious."

I think it weeds out people who aren't aware of how communication takes place in the 21st century.

Yes!

But Rosie believes that computers make people sloppy workers and that they are very error prone. She considers the internet "dirty communication" other than what would be defined as "legitimate business purposes."

Liken it to an old bag that thinks gas lamps are superior to the light bulb. And then ask yourself how many gas lamps are in your home?

Liken it to an old bag that thinks gas lamps are superior to the light bulb. And then ask yourself how many gas lamps are in your home?

So then you're saying she's an old bag that's full of gas?

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

I know how this cable infomercial thing works because my business would get 2-3 calls a year trying to get me to do it.

What happens is you get a call from the associate producer of the show. He gushes about how your organization is a perfect tie-in with their program and that they would really like to do a 2 minute piece about you. They promise that it would be great advertising and that you are uniquely suited for the spot.

The sales pitch is very carefully crafted to appeal to both your ego and your desire to be on TV, along with the hyped advertising advantage. Money is never mentioned until you are hooked or you bring it up. In my case, I had to ask several times "will I have to pay a fee for this promotion". As I recall, $27k was about the ballpark that they wanted.

In my humble opinion, this is nothing more than a scam that plays on people's pride and desire to be in front of a camera. I'm a bit surprised the masters were scammed.

I'm a bit surprised you're depicting twi's heads as "masters."

They're normally working UNOPPOSED- as the only sources of information

and authority for people. The idea of work involving THINKING,

PERSUASION, or things along those lines would, at best, have them

RUSTY, and at worst, incompetent.

Any EXPERIENCED conman can outperform them.

I guess that's why ex-twi splinters keep getting snowed by better conmen.

That is the way internationals romanticized imagery of true biblical research. No computers, do not use Bibleworks, or the many, many resources on the internet. Nope, do it all with books, pen and paper. Why? Computer programs are "less accurate" than printed materials. As if printed materials are 100% accurate?

Actually, while there may have been a time that had a little truth to it, the more we get into a world with Wikipedia and other growing online resources it absolutely is 100% false. You can prove it easily. Printed works always have some kind of updated errata that is published later, or available. Bibleworks resources, which actually most of them are full open source licensed digital versions of the Bible, or Greek / Hebrew text, are updated much more frequently due to it being much easier to do so. How many times a year does Bibleworks connect up to their servers and download an updated version complete with corrected material? I'd say I've seen it at least 3-4 times a year. Printed books? Nowhere near that frequency.

No, researching the Bible with a small limited printed library of works is like doing a book report only using materials you can find in your local small town hicksville library, as opposed to using more global resources.

Just because the Internet as new technology has had a gap between free usage and regulation and "post anything" vs. peer reviewed sources is ABSOLUTELY NOT a reason to bury your head in the sand and not use digital media.

The Way's approach there is very similar to their surrounding neighbors at the Indiana campus - the Amish.

• Upvote 1

The Way's approach there is very similar to their surrounding neighbors at the Indiana campus - the Amish.

ROFL!

And, when you think on it a minute or two, the Amish are honest because they do not claim to do "biblical research." Nor do they put out infomercials with staged research taking place in a fake department set in the way international's antiquated library. As if it's the day to day operations.

And Harve's bit makes it sound like there's tons of classes, and the pics shown make it look like all the classes are huge. He says the WAP series has foundational, intermediate, and advanced classes--sounds like several at each level. Then he says the biblical studies series has classes such as Living God's Word as a Family. That's really funny--since that was the only class in that series when the video was made.

Real slick. :eusa_clap:

not :realmad:

If my memory serves me correctly, Rosalie keeps the snail mail contact on the website so people have to put a little effort into contacting them.

That way it supposedly helps weed out people who aren't "serious."

Good friggin grief. How bass-ackwards can an "Outreach" ministry get?? They dig themselves deeper in the hole, daily.

I remember helping running several classes back in the 1970's, and some of the newbie students couldn't keep their eyes open.

Whomever it was (don't ask - I don't remember now) that was running the class, suggested turning the video volume down.

It was their contention that a lower volume from the teaching would 'force" the new students to stay awake to strain to hear the Word.

I got no brownie points from said class leader, when I made the observation that less volume meant more peaceful sleeping.

How hard was that to see? Not hard for me at all. But then again I wasn't as "spiritually aware" as the class leader of how those things worked.

Their "Exclusionist" thinking, while claiming to be an "Outreach" ministry could be the ultimate oxymoron. eyeroll.gif

I got no brownie points from said class leader, when I made the observation that less volume meant more peaceful sleeping. How hard was that to see? Not hard for me at all. But then again I wasn't as "spiritually aware"

I guess not. I went through a 10 month Army electronics and missile school. If you fell asleep once, you stood up in the back of the class. If you still fell asleep the consequences would escalate, you get the picture. I didn't have much problem staying awake in TWI classes.

ohmygod jim. when i was in the way corps program, people would stand up to try not to fall asleep. they were drooling and dropping like flies. it was really funny when they would topple over into a bunch of people in their chairs

the best was when they would just swoon kind of back and forth sound asleep. it kept me awake watching them -- it was so much funny :)

taking bets.... is he gonna go.... is he gonna go.....

some people can swoon -- like bend down -- right to their toes -- and not fall when they're sleeping. it's amazing