GreaseSpot Cafe

How far into the Corps program were you when you realized you wanted out?

Jim

...didn't VPW teach that "God speaks to the husband; the husband speaks to the wife. The wife speaks to the husband, and the husband goes to God FOR BOTH OF THEM?"

I got this junk even before I took PFAL and thought it was trash then. Why couldn't God speak to a wife, a woman, if that was what was needed? What, God's not smart enough to talk to women? Women aren't smart enough to hear? Something about a woman's "head being covered" or some such.

Just another of those things that they used to abuse and weaken women. In the guise of "meekness" or "submission." Abuse God too. Cos I'm jolly sure he never said or meant any such thing.

We came out better and stronger in the long run, not because of the FWC but in spite of it.

Amen, sistah! I think a lot of us could say that.

Looking at the Corps teaching thread and the low value that most of you gave it, I'm wondering at what point did you start to have regrets about your decision to go into the Corps?

16 years after I graduated. But the good news is, if I hadn't gone through it, I would not have eventually had the amazingly talented and loving daughter I have. Her father was in the Corps with me. So questions about regrets are a mixed bag...

16 years after I graduated. But the good news is, if I hadn't gone through it, I would not have eventually had the amazingly talented and loving daughter I have. Her father was in the Corps with me. So questions about regrets are a mixed bag...

Yeah.....a mixed bag for sure!

Without twi, without the corps program......I wouldn't have my two amazing kids either. :)

• 2 weeks later...
When wierwille came to campus.....oooh, big whooptie-do, not!

Why all the fanfare?....Wierwille-this, wierwille-that....So?

Aren't we to be followers of the Lord.....and not of men?

When will the corps program kick into gear? This isn't it, is it?

Oh sheesh, I was so put off by the hoopla when Wierwille visited, especially when he himself would say wistfully,"I wish I could just come and go as I pleased without all the fanfare..." that I asked him about it at one of those "personal counseling sessions" you could sign up for. I noted the disconnect, because I felt that I should be treating ALL my brothers and sisters in The Word as special. His answer was a non-answer: "Aw, they're just doing it because they want to show their respect," or something to that effect. He could have changed that at any time just by saying "stop."

And yeah, I hadn't wanted to be Corps, but my husband did -- Wierwille had told him he should go, so we went. But having made the decision to go, I spent our Recognized Corps year fully committed, despite the red flags and the wondering when were we going to get to anything truly "inner circle." (Always the carrot before the horse at The Way.) Because I became pregnant shortly after arriving, and was allowed to remain on special dispensation, I felt that I should be grateful and not rock the boat.

It wasn't until about a year after my Corps year, when I asked for help from a limb leader who was Corps and didn't get it, then responded to a letter from Wierwille and was told I was "bitter," that I knew it was corrupt from the top down. Having already promised myself that if the organization was bad I would leave it, I had no trouble walking away, only sadness for what it could have been. It took Waydale and Greasespot to expose the rest of the story for me years later.

Shaz

One of the big, huge, eyeopeners for me occurred before the formal start of FWC XX. Because we had a child in school, we had to be there early and were granted the privilege of being "volunteers" or unpaid staff. Because we garden and can, we got to process tomatoes that were being harvested. First they were rinsed in ice cold water, then cooked. They were NOT to be picked over and the rotten spots removed but stems and rotten ends and all went into those big cookers. I just knew they were wrong but got yelled at twice.

Then, we got to make salsa with NO onion and NO garlic. "This isn't salsa." I stated. "Well, we can't put onion and garlic in the salsa because Rev. Martindale hates onions and despises garlic." was the reply.

I was so stunned. One man decides what we get to eat? Why can't he have his own little batch made just for him? Call it "president's reserve" or something fancy sounding?

I was immediately dragged through the brier patch, so to speak. Who was I to question the man of God? If Rev. Martindale hates onions and garlic, I better line up my thinking with that of the MOGFODAT!

What BS! What micromanagement!

Then, we got to make salsa with NO onion and NO garlic. "This isn't salsa." I stated. "Well, we can't put onion and garlic in the salsa because Rev. Martindale hates onions and despises garlic." was the reply.

Makes me want onions and garlic.

It wasn't until about a year after my Corps year, when I asked for help from a limb leader who was Corps and didn't get it, then responded to a letter from Wierwille and was told I was "bitter," that I knew it was corrupt from the top down. Having already promised myself that if the organization was bad I would leave it, I had no trouble walking away, only sadness for what it could have been. It took Waydale and Greasespot to expose the rest of the story for me years later.

Shaz

Sadness for what it could have been. That's it! Why I couldn't put those few simple words together before, I don't know. That's my overriding sense of loss re The Way. Sadness for what it could have been. My eyes and heart saw something awesome with unlimited potential to help me and other people when I became involved; the top Way leadership also saw something with awesome potential. But we saw two entirely different things; polar opposite things. My eyes and heart saw liberation and knowledge and understanding; they saw control, power, authority, and money. Thank you for providing a moment of clarity for me this morning, Shaz.

Sadness for what it could have been. That's it! Why I couldn't put those few simple words together before, I don't know. That's my overriding sense of loss re The Way. Sadness for what it could have been. My eyes and heart saw something awesome with unlimited potential to help me and other people when I became involved; the top Way leadership also saw something with awesome potential. But we saw two entirely different things; polar opposite things. My eyes and heart saw liberation and knowledge and understanding; they saw control, power, authority, and money. Thank you for providing a moment of clarity for me this morning, Shaz.

While I empathize and feel sorry for your pain, I believe TWI was rotten from its inception and it only could have been what it turned out to be. What it turned out to be was what is was all along...if that makes sense.

"In Ohio there was a root, the rottenest root that you ever did see.

And the crabgrass grows all around and around...."

(Do they still sing that?)

Edited by Broken Arrow

While I empathize and feel sorry for your pain, I believe TWI was rotten from its inception and it only could have been what it turned out to be. What it turned out to be was what is was all along...if that makes sense.

"In Ohio there was a root, the rottenest root that you ever did see.

And the crabgrass grows all around and around...."

(Do they still sing that?)

I agree with you, Broken Arrow. Corruption does not grow from an honest heart. My heart was honest; theirs was not. All the things I learned, all the Bible truths, was 100% new to me. I was dazzled by it. Still am, actually. They, however, had an agenda behind their teachings that exploited my eagerness to learn, my ignorance of their agenda, and my innocence in the ways of this world.

Although this isn't specifically about the WC, it does have some video from a graduation. If you don't agree with the report...just turn down the volume and enjoy the photos.....I suggest that anyway, unless you want to hear VP scream preaching from the pulpit about the "natural man".

A one and ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0uH-fa15q8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a 2....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bLSygDuPLfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by geisha779

what was that thing about hooded people and "you will, you will,you will" ?

i found that odd personally

although i have plenty personally that was odd

I have no idea what the hooded thing was. I never saw anything like it during my time in The Way. I saw lots of other ridiculous nonsense but never that.

Apprentice year.I was put in "charge" of a fellowship at an advance weekend

class.A couple that were apprentice too,gave me paticular hell.Atitude,dissing,

no respect.You get the picture.Anywho...I realized I wanted no part

of that crap.....

Yep, the lust for position starts early on in the "training."