GreaseSpot Cafe

Undertow - Escaping from the Fundamentalism and Cult Control of The Way International

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, Raf said:

I finished the book a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, it really is very good.

One of the questions I get asked most is, how did you get suckered into joining a cult? And I think Charlene answers that question by showing how incremental the process is.

I found the story to be a deeply personal one (unlike The Cult That Snapped, which was "about the Way," Undertow is about the author). 

Beautifully done, Charlene. Congrats!

Hi Raf, glad you enjoyed my story. And JayDee, too. There's a professor of "Extreme Religions" who has assigned Undertow this term for his students to read before I speak with them about my experience. This teacher has said this story does what you pointed out - shows how recruitment works and the gradual way people become enmeshed in a high-control group. That was one of the intentions I had when writing it...bring some understanding to the table about that. 

P.S. if anyone wants to ask me questions about my story "offline," there's a Contact page on my website for that. http://charlenedge.com. 

I aim to respond within 24 hours. Cheers.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks. Hope you're having a happy holiday season. I'm checking in just to let those interested know that Undertow is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and local bookstores can order it, t

I finished the book a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, it really is very good. One of the questions I get asked most is, how did you get suckered into joining a cult? And I think Charlene

Dear readers of Undertow who've shared their responses here, I am overcome with gratitude. That's my understatement of the century. Thank you for sharing your hearts!  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, penworks said:

Hi Raf, glad you enjoyed my story. And JayDee, too. There's a professor of "Extreme Religions" who has assigned Undertow this term for his students to read before I speak with them about my experience. This teacher has said this story does what you pointed out - shows how recruitment works and the gradual way people become enmeshed in a high-control group. That was one of the intentions I had when writing it...bring some understanding to the table about that. 

P.S. if anyone wants to ask me questions about my story "offline," there's a Contact page on my website for that. http://charlenedge.com. 

I aim to respond within 24 hours. Cheers.

Speaking of extreme religions, I just read this news story about Word of Faith in North Carolina ... LOTS of PTSD among the congregants and escapees there.

Nauseating, sure is.  More violent than TWI but still the emotional scarring for the victims.

The strange thing about this cult is that it was started by a woman.

Hey, you guys, it's fine to have freedom of religion.  But freedom to abuse?  Abuse individuals by these wicked acts? Abuse the Lord by taking his name in vain, using it as a disguise for the works of the devil?

There's a lot to be said for more organised, mainstream religious entities.  Not saying the mainstream churches are without fault (noted the abuse by the RC church over decades) but at least there are some checks on more obviously egregious behavior.

• Upvote 1

Firstly I'd like to publicly thank Penworks for this mind and heart blowing book.I received it on March 1st and have completed reading it as of today.Purpose of purchasing this book was to expand my knowledge of this cult called the way.Here is a small re view so here goes....

Boyyy, was I blown away by the content in the book.Now I'm a big fan of true story documentries, this book related to me in so many ways.It felt like I was watching myself with Charlene navigating from start to finish.My heart was pounding as I could relate to alot of the scenarios she had used in the book.Examples include the witnessing fears I had publicly for a while and being zealous for the word.Quotes and manipulation tactics used by Weirwille were drummed into me from a young age.A big one was 'When it comes to the word,no one is your friend,To see real life how Charlene describes in her book what,where,how,why and when it all happened is so navigated perfectly.From the reviews right to page 448

I said to myself hey I've been there too,I have experienced what she had went through and I had lived through that, but to read it from this book just confirms 'even more' I wasn't alone in this whole cult ordeal

Note: I personally didn't know and wasnt around Weirwille,and I'm glad I didn't.This book gives personal upfront details on him that had me fuming I see now even more what a :offtopic:he was...

Two people in the book mentioned are people I knew personally and to hear there names shocked me.I thought what a small world and how Charlene was up on the front line of it all..but to hear those that i know personally involvement said it all..book contains all

It is interesting to note that when Charlene had exited the cult I was born in 87' So my era was when martindale and rivenbark ran the cult show,it was very refreshing to embark on a journey back in time before my time to see how things were, i can tell you know i have seen and heard.I was left reflecting and relating to certain scenarios contained in book

Am I promoting this book? HELL YEAH! Maybe could send JYDL a copy for his birthday 

In all seriousness this great book deserves 10/10 from me not only because it's true and relating, it can literally save lives and get people to carefully consider before joining a cult/church.In our case/s The Way International 

Penworks, you are a legend I'm glad I read your book thanks once again for taking the time to share your life experience 

Here's a picture with the book itself with the helpful cookies which accompanied me along the journey

2017-03-05 20.45.38.jpg

And finally a link which delivered this book to me here in Australia took 7 days maximum 

https://www.bookdepository.com/Undertow-Charlene-L-Edge-Ruth-Mullen/9780997874709?ref=grid-view

Edited by higherground30
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, and thanks, higherground30, for reading Undertow and sharing your response here. I want you all to know I often mention this website to "outsiders" when I give talks because I want them to know so many people are still sharing and caring about their TWI experience even after so many years. It affected many of us profoundly. The healing continues ... I am getting emails and notes through my website Contact page from people I knew many years ago who say the book is helping them in one way or other. That is my reward.

Cheers to the courageous ones who speak their truth here and everywhere. You inspire me.

Yours,

Penworks a.k.a. Charlene L. Edge at http://charleneedge.com

• Upvote 2

FYI - for those interested, on Amazon, the "Look Inside" feature is now active for Undertow.

Also, the e-book is finished being converted by IngramSpark and should show up on booksellers' websites in one or two weeks.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Just a follow-up to the last post.  Undertow in e-book format is now on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other places, like Kobo. Note: On Kobo they put the book designer's name, Duane Stapp, alongside my name, which makes it appear as if we were co-authors. We are not. He designed the cover and the book's interior. He had nothing to do with writing the book.

Cheers!

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hi Grease spotters,

Happy to say I can offer, while supplies last, signed copies of Undertow at a student discount of $17.00. Read more here.

Stay well. Wear masks. And may your tribe increase!

Charlene

Edited by penworks
italicize book title
  • 4 weeks later...

On the eve of this momentous election day, I am having flashbacks to life in a cult that demanded loyalty to one man's perverted view of the world. After 17 years in it, I finally woke up and figured out a way to escape.

My memoir of that experience is still on special sale for only $17 until Dec. 31, 2020. It includes some real names of leaders many of you knew, especially around the time of the Passing of the Patriarch in 1986. As a member of the biblical research team at that time, I witnessed what got swept under the carpet.

For an insider's story of how a person is slowly pulled into a damaging world view without realizing it, give the book Undertow a chance. Visit https://charleneedge.com/undertow-on-sale-signed-copies/

I want to thank so many of you Greasespotters for having supported Undertow by reading it and sharing it. This month, we celebrate its 4th birthday!

Cheers. Stay safe and carry on!

Edited by penworks
added adjective & specific website link
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, penworks said:

I am having flashbacks to life in a cult that demanded loyalty to one man's perverted view of the world. After 17 years in it, I finally woke up and figured out a way to escape.

That has so bothered me about what I see in the US, and I wonder about some people that I know from TWI who are so adamantly loyal to a certain person.  I wonder if mind-healing will take as long for the USA and for the individuals concerned, as it's taken for some of us TWI escapees.

Well done all those who've escaped TWI.  May the lord give you a sound mind and sharpen your thinking abilities.  Keep calm and carry on; the next few weeks may be turbulent.

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

That has so bothered me about what I see in the US, and I wonder about some people that I know from TWI who are so adamantly loyal to a certain person.  I wonder if mind-healing will take as long for the USA and for the individuals concerned, as it's taken for some of us TWI escapees.

Well done all those who've escaped TWI.  May the lord give you a sound mind and sharpen your thinking abilities.  Keep calm and carry on; the next few weeks may be turbulent.

Twinky, I think the next few months will be very turbulent, but also very interesting.  I think the US is going to have a great 2021, with a new President.  Que sera sera.