GreaseSpot Cafe

Bless Patrol at Rock of Ages

Rusty Duck

Any stories about serving on Bless Patrol at any of the Rock of Ages? I was on Bless Patrol at the back door of the House of Wierwille in 1981. It was surreal watching Dubofsky, Lynn and Martindale shooting hoops and performing for anyone nearby. The motorcoach was tucked into a portion of the driveway and seemed to be a social meeting spot for the upper muckety-mucks. I was a nervous wreck, so petrified of being singled out for an inquisition or something of that sort. Silly, I know. But it's my memory.

• Like 2

Any story I have would be mostly about mind numbing boredom while providing free security services for a cult that masterfully renamed “security” “bless patrol”.

Every once in a while you would see Jesus on a golf cart.  Or some other large named performing clown.

But mostly mind numbing boredom.  The only redeeming quality was getting to know the other captives.

I was bless patrol at some function in our city and the motor coach was parked in the parking lot taking up 4 or 5 parking spaces. I was given a roll of quarters and when a meter ran out of time, put a another quarter in. It was some time until VPW finished up. I thought I was so privileged because when VPW left the building and returned to the motor coach, I got to walk with him, holding an umbrella over him, to shield the sun light from the man of god. 

11 hours ago, Rusty Duck said:

Any stories about serving on Bless Patrol at any of the Rock of Ages? I was on Bless Patrol at the back door of the House of Wierwille in 1981. It was surreal watching Dubofsky, Lynn and Martindale shooting hoops and performing for anyone nearby. The motorcoach was tucked into a portion of the driveway and seemed to be a social meeting spot for the upper muckety-mucks. I was a nervous wreck, so petrified of being singled out for an inquisition or something of that sort. Silly, I know. But it's my memory.

I clearly remember one ROA night time bless patrol shift keeping an eye on the protesters from Westboro Baptist Church. This was well before the Westboro folks had become well-known throughout the country. Same flavor they retained for the decades to come. Hateful signs in abundance.

It was a very cold (maybe down into the 50s F.) August mid 1970s night in rural Ohio, before The Way began holding ROAs at HQ. I remember the yellow Bless Patrol hats and standing (shivering) with a guy (who later served in the 7th corpse) for a couple of hours. It may have been boring, but I recall a sense of camaraderie on an otherwise calm night. 

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

Why would a THE man of god need a security detail? Why couldn’t he just beleeeve big enough for his own security? After all, he beleeeved big enough to provide for national security - if it weren’t for his beleeeviing, the Soviets would have attacked the U.S.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Why would a THE man of god need a security detail? Why couldn’t he just beleeeve big enough for his own security? After all, he beleeeved big enough to provide for national security - if it weren’t for his beleeeviing, the Soviets would have attacked the U.S.

Oh, boy. You went and opened a can of worms now. Do you really want to hear about the loaded gun under the podium or the armed bodyguards that accompanied him around the grounds?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, waysider said:

Oh, boy. You went and opened a can of worms now. Do you really want to hear about the loaded gun under the podium or the armed bodyguards that accompanied him around the grounds?

Ha! Not necessarily. I've read those stories right here in this café. My questions were rhetorical.

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

This must have been pre-LCM. Didn’t he hate gays with the same passion as Westboro?

It was before Loy was in charge, yes. Westboro, at the time, must have been still trying to settle on its identity, who do they hate most. It wasn't about gays for either group, as intensely as it became only a few years later.

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

The answer is multifold. Sure, believing and holding forth the story for God's protection was only one part of it. The reality was more complicated. Any religion seeking to stir up the dust and challenge entrenched church empires was bound to be a magnet attracting disturbed individuals.

Further complications entered when the hired heavies (official bless patrol, would get LEO certification and carry firearms). With that came another level of arrogance both on the part of the MOGs and those who carried the hardware.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Paul Allen was ....ED OFF.  He got in LCM face and told him off and did not give two hoots about his goon Linder displaying his firearm in a holster.

If you are having affairs with peoples wives his own fear and conscience kept him with a personal goon whenever he traveled in public.  I mean how many husbands would justifiably want to beat his @$$?  Or more?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chockfull said:

Paul Allen was ....ED OFF.  He got in LCM face and told him off and did not give two hoots about his goon Linder displaying his firearm in a holster.

If you are having affairs with peoples wives his own fear and conscience kept him with a personal goon whenever he traveled in public.  I mean how many husbands would justifiably want to beat his @$$?  Or more?

Right, I get it. I've read the accounts. I was pointing to the hypocrisy, the doctrinal and spiritual dishonesty, the bullshonta.

I know. The hypocrisy wasn't the worst part. It was the raping. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...