GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

If I HAD to guess, I'd probably say Anne Murray, as well.

Sudo, you're starting to post TOO MANY LINKS! Step away from the keyboard...just step away! :D

Now that it's "the season," I get a kick out of the various parodies of Christmas tunes on the radio. Of course "Walkin' in Women's Underwear" ("Walking in a Winter Wonderland") has been around for a few years. Recently, I heard "Police Stopped My Car" ("Feliz Navidad") and "I'm Putting up Decorations" ("I'm Getting a Good Vibration"). And there's a parody of the Chipmunk Christmas song even sillier than the original.

Since I listen primarily to the oldies station, I also get to hear a lot of 60's versions of the classics. I think my favorite is the Temptations' version of "White Christmas." How about you guys (y'all, for our southern readers)?

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome Morgan! I don't believe I know you at all but my name is Kathy. Ask questions if ya like if not clear on what we're doing. Please stay around for awhile.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Let me answer my clue first then I'll go listen to y'all's links and it will be past 10 minutes and won't combine posts.

disp20.jpg (had to take out, wouldn't transfer)

Which one was the real Ozzie would depend upon how old you were. :)

And Ricky’s twins Gunnar and Matthew Nelson of which I know nothing at all. irmaos_nelson.jpg

PS...y'all were great on my clue! It was fun reading how ya worked around with it. Okay let me go listen to links.

Ah rats! I have to take my link above off cause they must not allow transport. Well rats! It was the same picture with Ozzie Ozborn instead.

Edited by ChattyKathy

Bowtwi,

If it's who I think it is she also did a small venue that was taped where you could almost believe she was Patsy Cline for a moment or so she was so good.

Sudo,

I agree it is Anne Murray. And I can hear what you you're talking about.

Cowgirl,

I'm thinking between 11:56 and 12:08 you said can't be anyone else so I'm going for it. :)

Moon Girl,

You ever spend any time in the Keys? And if so you ever go to Hemingway's old hang out Sloppy Joes? And if so did you hear Jimmy Buffet music coming out of houses and shops? ;)

Sudo, you're starting to post TOO MANY LINKS! Step away from the keyboard...just step away! :D

George,

:D

Rick,

That was absolutely delightful! :)

Sudo,

Disregard the you in my sentence. Geez! :blink:

Moon Girl,

You ever spend any time in the Keys? And if so you ever go to Hemingway's old hang out Sloppy Joes? And if so did you hear Jimmy Buffet music coming out of houses and shops?

I've never been to the keys, though I'd love to. Think I could convice Ted that we should go there some time? (I could twist his arm.) :rolleyes: Buffett has been known to come out of the keys at times. He had a spur of the moment "concert" in Sarasota at one of the beach bars a few years back.
No. Is it a compilation of Christmas parodies?

Yes

George

That was a great "blast from the past." Does Norelco still exist?

Just checked. It's now Philips Norelco.

George

I think Ted would love it! But if tempted to go into Hemingway's house make sure that they don't still have cats. Now mind you I'm not talking against cats but there were hundreds (I may be off but loads) at one time and even when you toured it you knew there were cats. :blink:

I've seen Jimmy Buffett in concert and he is the best. He comes out like your just a big back yard party he has going on and he as much as takes his shoes off and sits on the edge and chats as he performs for the welcome you feel from him. But then there is honor among Parrot Heads and he knows his audience have followed him forever. :)

{ :angry: to you edit notation :P }

Edited by ChattyKathy

But if tempted to go into Hemingway's house make sure that they don't still have cats. Now mind you I'm not talking against cats but there were hundreds (I may be off but loads) at one time and even when you toured it you knew there were cats.

If I remember right, it was in Hemingway's will that the cat's be taken care of forever.

Well that would make sense then. Don't go inside. :blink:

But if they still have a fabric printing shop that allows visitors and don't laugh if they roll their eyes back and go that was my mother's era. Because we went in and they showed us how they used wood blocks and printed fabric while we watched and it was worth the time I felt. Also you must plan to be there at sundown. They use to close up shop (everyone) and all would head to the boardwalk to watch the sun set and there would be strolling musicians and kids in pockets here and there playing and laughing and all would just mingle and anticipate it and then it set on the water and the colors and the mesmerizing was unforgettable (I see it as I type) and then everyone would stand if they were sitting and all would applaud and give a standing ovation. Then go back and open the shops and start over again.

Hey kids! We're back from the Nutcracker and finally, my princess enjoyed it. Yippee! Her parade performance was cancelled tho, as it didn't get above freezing in time. We're heading to the kitchen to begin the cookie baking for the season. Christmas is at our house this year. Woo hoo!

Thanks for posting that link for me, sudo.

Those guesses were good, but nope, not Ann Murray and not Lynne Anderson.

Chattydear - I'm thinking you may know her name - she sure impressed me with her Crazy! I saw her in concert this past summer (she opened for Rascal Flatts) and she can really belt 'em out. MMMmmmm!

If you want to post your guess I'll admit it or say nay...

Moony - Have you ever eaten at Sloppy Joe's in Treasure Island? It's at the Bilmar Hotel and we stayed there this last visit. Very nice. We stayed there because we had been disappointed with the Thunderbird and the Best Western Suites right next door there. We figured since we'd eaten at Sloppy Joe's and it seemed like a real class act then, that we would try their rooms. We had a great room facing the gulf and it had just been totally remodeled. Great place to stay. And, since I may be so bold, they serve the very best sloppy joes I have ever had. They're so big we only eat half and bring half home for the next meal, but they're great leftover, too.

George - My favorite singer doing a Christmas song is Bruce Springsteen singing Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Of course that's tied right up there with John Lennon's Happy Christmas and Elvis' entire Christmas collection. Blue Christmas, oh baby!!!

Edited by bowtwi

You got it, Chatty! What a great voice on that kid! Heck, she's grown now with kids and a hubby, but I still remember the first time I heard her sing Blue and Crazy!

This version of Me and Bobby McGee really knocks my socks off!

Cowgirl - No harm done - I came in confused tonite. LOL I did think you were guessing Ann Murray to the one sudo posted for me. It's all good. Fun game!

Edited by bowtwi

A big welcome to Morgan!!!!

Sorry my Christmas song didn't come out well on your speakers. Was it too loud or something? I know the quality wasn't that good. I can post the good quality one if you liked the song. If I know people have good speakers, I'll let them know if it's (in *my* opinion) a really good song so they can turn the speakers up. I have one computer at home with really good speakers (and a sub-woofer) and another with $19.95 speakers that allow me to do little more than identify songs.

Bowtwi.... Yes, there was some confusion over WHICH of my two songs people were saying was Anne Murray. I put both in the same post. The first one (click HERE!) was yours and the other one (click HERE!) was my Christmas song that Morgan didn't care for :( . Cowgirl knew it right off, though... it was Anne Murray and Kathy heard the Calypso thing in it that I did. You know what?? I may just look into the origins of that song because I KNOW it sounds Caribbean!

Rick... BRAVO!!!!!!! great nostalgia with the Nöelco commercial. They ran that thing for YEARS at Christmas time.

sudo (figuring all have been guessed now?)

For anyone who can answer this question.......... I don't know if I even know how to ask it correctly but here goes, I have a library of songs on my computer and I want to know how do I, or can I, upload them to the internet ? Does that make any sense?

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

It does but the guys are much better at that stuff so I'll let them help you okay.

Bowtwi,

Instead of bringing more than one song I thought this one deserved it's own space and I suspect you'd agree.

And it shouldn't have the artist because of how I imported it from my CD but it'll be:

Rascal Flatts "I'm Movin' On"

Edited by ChattyKathy

Good morning, Chattydear and all. I listened to your link and altho I think I recognize that voice, I can't place his name, much less the song title. I'm wondering if he's that singer from Dire Straits, but I'm not sure at all.

A trippy thing happened when I just tried to log in here. After I put in my password and clicked Enter, I got the main page for Raf's site! I went back and tried it again and got here just fine. I hit Reply and logged in as I always do, but this time I got taken to Raf's. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just thought it odd.

We're off to church this morning before coming back to Christmas Cookie Central.

Just moving it to this page in case it got missed.

For anyone who can answer this question.......... I don't know if I even know how to ask it correctly but here goes, I have a library of songs on my computer and I want to know how do I, or can I, upload them to the internet ? Does that make any sense?

ChattyKathy, I did see your response, thanks

Cowgirl