The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Act2 guessed the name of one of the songs: What's Going On and it's by Marvin Gaye if anyone wondered. It was 1965 music played at a reunion of sorts. College friends reunited due to the death of a college friend. And this music played throughout the movie because it was what they were listening to when they were in college. The movie: The Bill Chill.

Wasn't someone talking about the song The Weight by The Band? Well that is on this soundtrack also.

There's perhaps 4" of snow and it's very pretty.

Sudo, enjoy your continuation. What a cool place to do it at. I've never been though. Do tell us the extra stuff y'all did okay. (wondering what extra <_< stuff dentists do)

I don't think you have to worry about folks posting. It seems we have some wonderful additions. But we'll miss you. Well I'll miss you and I reckon others can speak for themselves cause Moon Girl certainly did. (and hoping she isn't in discomfort)

I'd of never gotten the movie. I never even thought of that one when guessing them to myself.

Sushi, do you like The Eagles version of that song?

Edited by ChattyKathy

Greetings from the Gaylord Optryland in Nashville!

The seminar starts in 15 minutes but this place has an internet cafe so I'm gettin' my internet fix. Ahhh!! That's better.

Morgan is closer in the year estimate... I believe it was 1957. I was thinking Wyatt Earp was after that but maybe not. If Paw's lurking I'll let him give another clue.. it's HIS file after all.

sudo

Kathy, do you mean 'The Big Chill'???? Never heard of 'The Bill Chill'. But then again, I didnt have a tv till I was 12 and didnt get to watch it very much at that....then got in 'twi' and who had time to watch tv or go to movies, much less have the money!!!!!!!!!!!

Sudo, how much snow did Nashville get??

Arent the lights at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel breathtaking??? I love them. One year, hubby, Mom, and I drove over from Memphis to see the lights, but we spent the nite somewhere else!!! Then went shopping the next day, then drove back home. Thanks for reminding me of that sweet time.

Have fun and learn much!!!

1249f.jpg

Act2,

This may seem silly but do me a favor and email me so I have your dadgum email address here again. :rolleyes:

And we only got perhaps 4" and the neighbor already had my driveway shoveled this morning by 5:30am. Apparently he promised my hubby if the kid hired to do it failed on the job he'd cover for him. How precious! I'm going to pick him up a goodie tonight and take it over to him.

It's difficult to pinpoint an exact year, since most of the references are somewhat general in time. Disney and Ed Sullivan spanned decades. Wrestling was popular on TV in the early 50's, but has never really left, unfortunately. Elvis probably refers to the incident on Ed Sullivan where they only filmed him above the waist so as not to corrupt America with his wiggling hips. That was in 55 or 56, but became a timeless reference, like the Beatles on Sullivan. Wyatt Earp was on tv from '55, to the early 60's, and the Mickey Mouse Club stopped airing new shows around '58, tho they were in constant reruns for years.

I'm going to say 1957, but not with any certainty.

Come back as soon as you can, Sudo.

Kathy, email has been sent. Yeah, BILL CHILL....heehee....

No one shoveled my driveway yet..... boo hoo hooo....

Guess I will have to.

Heading to Mom's to make CHRISTMAS CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a lovely day.

I'm scratching my head as to who wrote it. Kathy's guess of Desi Arnaz is a good one, especially with the latin flavor of the song, and Desi's involvement with television. I don't think it was him, however, as the comic styling of the song is different than anything else he did. I will be proud of Kathy if she turns out to be right though.

Stan Freberg immediately comes to mind, as he was the 50's leading satirist of popular culture(along with Mad magazine, before it became more juvenile). I've never heard it before, but I'm going to say it was Freberg for want of a better name.

Damn, Paw, where did you FIND that? I've been looking for it for weeks to post here! I read the lyrics to it on a website 2 or 3 weeks ago and thought it would be appropriate for the nostalgia thread!

Don't know when it was recorded, although it said when on the website but I've long since lost my way back to the site where I found out about it. One of those surfing expiditions where I clicked through a gazillion pages before I ended up there. I DO remember the artist was Stan Freeman, or Freeberg, or somthing like that.

Rick

Howdy all !! :wave:

Here's an absolutely beautiful piece of music, from quite a popular movie, it was more of a "girlie" movie, and this time I'm only going to give one clue, see if you can guess the movie and the title of the music playing......................................

QS02-134.jpg

Oh brother!!! Duh, how can you guess the music playing if I never posted it. My mistake. Just guess the movie and then I'll post the music for it. :redface:

Edited by Cowgirl

Hey guys...

I'm back from Opryland and I've brought back some fun stuff to post. But first... gots to get a good night's sleep. I DO want to say one thing, though. Hiway29 is some kind of good at this stuff ain't he? I'm impressed I can tell you. See you guys tomorrow. Don't you just LOVE this time of year?? :D

sudo

Understood George...this CAN be a totally sucky time of year sometimes.

Hey, I promised something special a few days back. OK, I"m late, but HERE it is! It's special in that, I would LOVE to have one of these now, all cherried out!

And for a little Name That Tune that is related to this video...what song was this from:

We learned about love in the back of the dodge...

the lesson hadn't gone to far

Sushi will know, I'm sure!

Rick