Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sudo,

My preference is to think of him as a 'Caucasian' Louie Armstrong (which, I've read somewhere, he lists as one of his influences). :)

George,

The song is from "Nighthawks At The Diner", a nearly perfect album. This is something rather rare for me to say about anyone, especially since it's a live album. Generally, the audience doesn't know when to shut the hell up on them.

Edited by Sushi

This doesn't include the intro on the record, but here goes:

Better Off Without a Wife

all my friends are married

every Tom and Dick and Harry

it must be strong of you

to go it alone

here's to the bachelors

and the bowery bums

and those who feel that they're the ones

who are better off without a wife

I like to sleep until the crack of noon

midnight howlin' at the moon

goin' out when I wanto, comin' home when I please

I don't have to ask permission

if I want to go out fishing

and I never have to ask for the keys

never been no Valentino

had a girl who lived in Reno

left me for a trumpet player

but it didn't get me down

he was wanted for assault

though he said it weren't his fault

well the coppers rode him right

out of town

(chorus)

selfish about my privacy

as long as I can be with me

we get along so well I can't even believe it

I love to chew the fat with folks

and listen to all your dirty jokes

I'm so thankful for these friends

I do receive

Edited by Sushi

Actually Abi, Annie or Fanny was going to be my next question. See, I always thought it was Annie. But if you go to The Band's website, sure enough, it's Fanny.

Part of the reason I think is because they are saying "take a load off Fanny"...the f sounds just run together. But if you listen to the last verse, when he says "to get back to miss Fanny", you can definetly hear the f there.

HERE is a link to the lyrics on The Band's website.

Rick

Rick,

Fannie.. Annie.. whatever its still a good song and The Band was a good, uh, band :) . I much prefer their version of The Night They Drove 'Ole Dixie Down to that lady folks singer's version. I wonder if they are from the South??

sudo

Rick,

Fannie.. Annie.. whatever its still a good song and The Band was a good, uh, band :) . I much prefer their version of The Night They Drove 'Ole Dixie Down to that lady folks singer's version. I wonder if they are from the South??

<center>sudo</center>

That was no lady. That was Janis Joplin!

Sudo,

Have you ever seen the video 'The Last Waltz'?

After watching that a few times...I grew a very deep respect for that band 'THE BAND".

see ya

I got the album and saw the movie many times when it first came out. :)

Mooney,

Re:"That was no lady. That was Janis Joplin, my dear!"

Naw naw naw.. I KNEW it wasn't Janis Joplin so I googled it. 'Twas Joan Baez, my dear. Go on and double check me.. :P. I wonder if sad songs about the South's hard times and defeat make non-Southerners shed a tear like we Southerners do?

And Ala... No.. I never saw that video but I don't need to because we BOTH appreciate The Band. Hey, Ala.. Can your computer rip any of those songs and then e-mail them to me? Maybe not.

You guys want something a little different? How about an act that was performed 1000's of times live, on radio and even got filmed? I've seen it on TV but all I could get my hands on was an audio. That's OK because that's how it was usually heard back in the 40's and 50's... on radio. I can guarantee you all that we are the last to have ANY recollection of this duo. My kids have never heard their names. Though they were never my favorites (mainly because their TV show was TERRIBLE) they did a few good movies.... and this skit which is hillarious. For you guys who aren't so familiar with older stuff you MIGHT not know who did this right off. I asked Carol and she thought it was Laurel and Hardy. NOT!!!!!! So I'd like to know 1) If you've heard it before and 2) If ya'll know the two guys and any of their stuff. Click HERE!

sudo

Confusing A %C with Laurel and Hardy is beyond my comprehension.

Unfortunately , I fear that the generations are letting it all slip away.

A &C were talented burlesque comics, who did a good radio show, and even made a few good movies, among alot of clunkers.

Laurel and Hardy -in my opinion- were special in ways that few comic teams ever were, tho I'll be the first to admit that some of their films reaked as well.

The 2 teams could not have been more different. L &H's best work came in silent films and the first few years of sound, for the Hal Roach studios, which in it's prime was the best comedy studio ever.

A &C rose to poularity as L&H passed their best years, and were what the country was looking for during WW11.

I've been a member of the 'Sons of the desert' for several years. The 'Sons' is a group of L & H enthusiasts that was organized with Stan Laurel's help before he died in the early 60's . Dick Van Dyke, Chuck McCann, orson bean (WHO???) and others have been members. The purpose being to get together and watch L&H and other old comedies.

In other words, it's easy to see where I stand as far as which team I prefer.

Not that I haven't seen every A &C film a zillion times. For years, wpix tv in NY showed them at 11:30 Sunday mornings, and it was a ritual for me to watch them after church, while waiting for Sunday dinner.

favorite A&C film- 'A&C meet Frankenstein'

favorite L&H film-"Babes in Toyland' -sometimes called march of the Wooden Soldiers

You're all going to be sorry you opened this can of worms for me !

Edited by DooWap

Sudo,

Your link made me think of 'Rainman'... Dustin Hoffman's wonderful acting...and he would re-iterate this A & C sketch over and over and over. Unbelievable.

OK...

Also, I was watching my music concert video of Norah Jones...and at the end of the video she says that she would like do a song of The Band's ...because... The Band was all of her band members' favourite band....sheeshh... I'm almost starting to sound like A & C's Who's on first? :blink:

There is something fascinating about this group... it wasn't just about the music i feel. It was like what they did was bigger than them.

Does that make sense?

Also, I didn't quite understand what you were asking me about emails and such? :blink: Doesn't take much to confuse this gal. :unsure:

Edited by A la prochaine

I've been a member of the 'Sons of the desert' for several years. The 'Sons' is a group of L & H enthusiasts that was organized with Stan Laurel's help before he died in the early 60's . Dick Van Dyke, Chuck McCann, orson bean (WHO???) and others have been members. The purpose being to get together and watch L&H and other old comedies.

I remember Orson Bean!. I think he occasionally did stand-up on the Tonight Show (Carson era), but mostly I remember him as being a panelist on game shows like "What's My Line?"

Oh, and I agree that "A&C Meet Frankenstein" was their best movie.

George

Orson Bean was also the voice of Bibo Baggins in the animated Rankin-Bass version of the 'Hobbit'. He may have also voiced Frodo in 'the return of the King' follow up cartoon, but I won't swear to it.

Orson on game shows is where I knew him also, especially 'To Tell the Truth'. He was commonly paneled with Peggy Cass, Kitty Carlisle, and Tom Poston (who I didn't care for as a kid, and have since come to regard as an underrated great comic actor).

Oddly Lou Costello didn't want to make' A&C Meet Frankenstein', thinking the script weak. I can only scratch my head thinking of some of the turkeys he thought were better. As always, Bud kept his mouth shut and went along with whatever he was told to do.

"Mooney,

Re:"That was no lady. That was Janis Joplin, my dear!"

Naw naw naw.. I KNEW it wasn't Janis Joplin so I googled it. 'Twas Joan Baez, my dear. Go on and double check me."

I admit when I wrong. I was wrong in this case. I looked it up & I was thinking of Me and Bobby McGee on Janis' Pearl album. Hope y'all forgive me. :(