GreaseSpot Cafe

why did you leave?

papajohn

didn't want to derail another thread, but I'd like to know the reasons most people left. it seems there are many reasons.

I was asked to leave, but that was about a month after I stopped showing up for twig and wasen't taking phone calls from anyone. they finally sent me a letter telling me I was no longer welcomed.

I left for several reasons:

1. Incomplete anwers or dodges on doctrinal questions.

2. Advancing legalism.

3. A thrust towards obedience and service to leaders instead of leaders serving those they led.

4. Meddling of leaders into the private lives of folks where they had no business meddling.

5. An advancing caste system - but basically the split bewtween Corps and non-Corps.

6. Leadership (Corps Men/Reverends) constantly making sexual advances towards my girlfriend/fiance.

This was in 82 - TWI-1

I left because I could not be the leader they wanted me to be. It is not in my character to be confrontational, accusatory and vein popping mad. Besides after having seen the way my Corps sisters and brothers were treated by leadership, as well as my self, I could do no other.

TWI was sinking fast and I abandoned ship with a flotation device under my dress. Now "I WEAR THE PANTS IN THE FAMILY!" icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I planned my departure...

1987...Mr martindale had just delivered an edict to the clueless flock. He decided that it was important, for all the twig coordinators, to communicate to him on a weekly basis, stating who was faithful and who was not faithful in the respective fellowships. The factors in deciding who was faithful and who wasn't, could easily be determined by looking at their attendance record and the amount of money that they gave...simple enough.

A week after this announcement was made in my area, I had a scheduled leaders meeting to attend...and it was my turn to teach. I made my final teaching as colorful as I could. I let it be known that under no circumstance would I take part in such an ungodly rating system. I told the group of leaders that from hence forth, I could no longer follow the corrupted martindale...I turned and walked out the door.

The next day, my entire branch was told to avoid me because I was crawling with demons from the underbelly of hell...or something like that. Two years later, those same leaders who had announced my reprobate condition, became infested with those same demons...go figure.

I left on my terms and feel good about that. icon_wink.gif;)-->

I actually left three times icon_eek.gif

1. In 1982 I married someone (another advanced class grad) who the Limb Leader did not approve of. Shortly thereafter the new LC, filled with stories of how we needed to be watched, pushed me too far one day and we had a yellin', cussin' argument over the phone. We then stopped going to Way functions. As far as I know M&A was not in force, since we still had cordial relationships with several "innies".

We continued to believe what Weirwille taught and ended up getting back in at the end of 1990, missing all the excitement of POP and the "loyalty oath".

2. In 1996 or thereabout, the Branch Coordinator yelled at my then-wife over a trivial matter. I yelled back and was thrown out of his house. When we got home I told my family that no one has the right to yell at somebody's wife like that and I wasn't going to stand for it, wasn't going to apologize, so I wasn't going back. My then-wife sided with the BC. Rather than stand outside TWI without her, I went back.

3. About a year and a half after the A***n lawsuit the WayGB discovered that I was posting on GS. Shortly thereafter I was told that I "was not welcome at Way fellowships since I did not believe that the Trustees were leading the ministry in the right direction".

It was 1989.

The communications and scuttlebut from hq were looking problematic. I remained

optimistic that things would improve-I believed, and said, that the other

higher-ups would confer, and lcm would get his act together. (Paraphrasing.)

The next communique was "all the leadership in your state has been fired for

being evil". Well, having gotten to know some of these people, I knew that

wasn't true, and convinced me it was time to prepare an exit. I wasn't sure

who I'd end up with, but the mass firings made that part easier, since all

NY state's leaders left as an organized unit, and most of the state's wayfers

went with them. Seeing the only viable choice as one or the other, I went with

the state (vf) and who they went with at the time (cg). Looking back, I still

think, at the time, it was the right decision.

I was kicked out for allowing a member of my "earthly family" to live with me and in a meeting with TC's and BC, I refused to throw my family member out as requested. This family member did not want to take THE CLASS. What a trip now that I think back on it. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I might elaborate some, here. When I took PFAL years ago, I thought that the keys to understanding the Bible were great. They made sense to me, a scientist. I was also told that questions were fine, because if my TC couldn't answer them, he would ask the BC, etc., until someone knew the answer. That person would send the answer down the line so that everyone would know. Open belligerence wasn't respected, but thoughtful questions were answered as best as people could. (I even wrote to VPW once, comparing "Uncle Harry Day" to Roman Catholic feasts. He sent me a very peaceful response. Although the gist of the response was "Uncle Harry Day is OK," I don't think it's a coincidence that the day was re-named the very next year.

Unfortunately, as the years rolled on, questions were not considered a desire to learn but a rebellion agains authority. Since I don't accept BS easily, I was branded a troublemaker and was reproved on a number of occasions. Of course, since I wasn't homosexual, had no debt, and gave above the tithe, there wasn't much they could oust me on.

Finally, I and my new fiancee (we had been engaged about a month) were dragged into a kangaroo court, where I was chastened for pridefully leading songs in Twig that almost nobody new, and for refusing to believe LCM's statement that the only reason for a space program is military dominance. A quick call to the LC confirmed my excommunication. My fiancee was given the choice of leaving me or TWI; she wisely chose the latter. We've been married for over six years and fellowship with other ex-wayfers in the Houston area. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Of course, I was stunned when it happened, and I really didn't say much in my defense (not that it would have mattered much, I suppose). I did have a major "esprit d'escalier" a couple of days later, though. Part of the "gallery" at my tribunal was my TC, who worked for NASA. I'm sure she wasn't working on military secrets, so her involvement seemed a bit hypocritical. (Frankly, though, I find Psalm 19:1 a perfectly good reason for a space program.) Also a "Corps Grad" who had praised me for leading lesser-known songs a couple of weeks prior just sat there watching me be berated. I don't really blame him or my ex-TC, though. They were all scared to death of being booted themselves. icon_eek.gif

The group I presently fellowship with has no problems with questions. We just crack open the Bible, pull out our Greek texts and concordances, and go to work. Biblical RESEARCH -- what a concept! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Imbus posted:

quote:
I left because I could not be the leader they wanted me to be. It is not in my character to be confrontational, accusatory and vein popping mad.

Oakspear posted:

quote:
In 1996 or thereabout, the Branch Coordinator yelled at my then-wife over a trivial matter. I yelled back and was thrown out of his house. When we got home I told my family that no one has the right to yell at somebody's wife like that and I wasn't going to stand for it,

Hmm. I never heard of a church where displays of anger are considered acceptable behaviour. icon_eek.gif

Uncle Hairy posted:

quote:
The next day, my entire branch was told to avoid me because I was crawling with demons from the underbelly of hell...or something like that. Two years later, those same leaders who had announced my reprobate condition, became infested with those same demons...go figure.

That was funny. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by Refiner:

Imbus posted:

quote:
I left because I could not be the leader they wanted me to be. It is not in my character to be confrontational, accusatory and vein popping mad.

Oakspear posted:

quote:
In 1996 or thereabout, the Branch Coordinator yelled at my then-wife over a trivial matter. I yelled back and was thrown out of his house. When we got home I told my family that no one has the right to yell at somebody's wife like that and I wasn't going to stand for it,

Hmm. I never heard of a church where displays of anger are considered acceptable behaviour. icon_eek.gif

You haven't heard the tenth part of that little subject. BTW, hello. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Uncle Hairy posted:

quote:

That was funny. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Funny from here, but typical from there. People leaving were given a smear campaign to make a lawyer wince. You want to see some scary stuff, check out the links on the main page. Someone blamed a person's death by plane crash on their family's exit from the organization.

I'm not the best one to ask, but here's the impression I got.....

A) Starting time to early 80's...lots of people joined, more than left.

B) early 80's to late 80's....vpw hands over organization to lcm, and a number

of things happen, some of them due to a lack of confidence in that incompetent

holding the reins. Membership, at its peak around 1979, begins to drop in areas,

mostly from old-timers and higher-ups. Most members stick around.

C) 1989-1990. Tired of the past few years, lcm draws a line in the sand and

demands allegiance. 80% of the group leaves that year, with more to follow over

the next year.

D) 1990's. lcm's increasingly draconian policies kick some people out, and disgust

some others so they leave. lcm's classes, inferior to vpw's classes, are unable

to interest new people. Many more leave, very few join.

E) 2000's. lcm was fired due to lawsuits. The internet has crippled twi's

ability to draw new members without them knowing all the scandals. twi is

largely trying to find ways to draw new members, but it's composed almost entirely

of people 40 and older, with their children leaving twi at the first

opportunity. They can't relate to young folk, and older folk can see they have

nothing to offer. So, membership rolls continue to trickle downward.

So, those still in are probably long-timers...10 years or more, some for most

of their natural lives. They're still losing members faster than they can replace

them.

Refiner quote:

"Is the church high turnover?"

I would say it's more high decline. They had a lot of people in the 70s but have been in decline for years. As for new members, most people look them up on the web and then decline to come.

Either way, they are in "decline."

For those who do come, most do not stay very long. In my final years, I saw almost NO new members at all. To follow their terminology, there are no "members" but the three members of the board of trustees who run the place. All else just "freely avail" themselves of fellowship. So let's call them followers.

To be considered an active follower, one must quickly take the basic instruction course called "The Foundational Class." During the waning days, most of the new students were the kids of old members. Once they turned 18, most did not attend unless they still lived with their parents.

JT

Yes JT.

Im doing some reading up on the movement now.

From what I see the mewmbership has crashed to just a few thousand. icon_eek.gif

This Martindale guy appears to be a dogmatic and abusive ******* who has driven everyone but the most diehard and desperate believers away.

I imagine they are telling themselves that when all the "fair weather" followers have been "tested, exposed and been "weeded out" they can rebuild from a small but very solid foundation.

Ref,

Stunning accuracy! That is a message I heard prior to departing. The teaching theme was "the Faithful Remnant." Only us "True-blue, faithful, special people have stayed true to God's Word." Many comparisons were made to Paul near the end of Acts when so many had departed him. Although Craig Martindale more often compared himself to Timothy. In his "humble mode", the founder, Weirwille, was Paul and he was Timothy. True to the end. Unfortunately or fortunately, he was true until getting ejected.

My guess is this is not the first time you've heard this story?

JT