GreaseSpot Cafe

Stupid Habits

Belle

3 - forgive my being anal, but did you mean Krohn's disease?

I knew someone with that, it is *not* pleasant. You should perhaps put a request over in the prayer forum.

You are absolutely right about the dirt, btw. There are two types of households where asthma occurs at higher than normal rates - houses that are too clean, and houses infested with cockroaches. And kids that grow up in houses that are too clean also tend to have more allergies.

That's because when a child's immune system is developing, it has to have something to practice on, something to recognize as an attacker. If it has nothing to fight, it will look for something to fight - and that something will be the child's body. Hence the asthma and allergies.

All of these antibacterial products just tend to exacerbate the situation. 99% of all bacteria are either neutral to humans or they are beneficial. Or they are needed to develop that immune response. If you go filling your house with antibacterial surfaces and antibacterial soaps and on and on then you are asking for trouble.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being late, or really, the fear of being late makes me crazy. I say the it's the fear of being late because I never am. I've told my friends and family that if you've waited more than 10 minutes for me, and I haven't called you to tell you I'm running late, then something must have happened!

I don't know if that's a TWI thing. I remember being told that when you're late it means you don't give a crap about the people waiting for you -- it's rude.

I have a NBW friend who is perpetually late. It's become a joke with a bunch of my girlfriends. Now my late (not dead!) friend even jokes about it! We have waited to order lunch for 1/2 hour or more because she wasn't there. Meetings have started late because she was late as well.

I have to admit, I get annoyed because it's just a bad habit of hers that would probably be easy to change. Yeah - we've told her to be somewhere 1/2 hour before the actual time. She figured it out after she got there and none of our group was there yet! But in a way, it is kinda rude when 5 hungry women are waiting for lunch. We just make up for it by drinking an extra pitcher of San Gria before she arrives. That way, we're too happy to be angry at her!

But that's still the one TWI habit I still have, and maybe it's because I really don't want to break it.

The neat thing - naw. But it drives hubby nuts.

Oh - and the context of "let all things be done decently and in order..." has nothing to do with the top of your refrigerator.

Can't remember hearing of that one, Rejoice. Where does that come from? BTW - Welcome to the GSpot!!

Does anyone still have a floss chart in their bathroom? "Retemories" strategically placed so you can see them and work on them while you're getting dressed, washing dishes, etc.?

Hope, I can't see the top of my fridge and it scares me to think what might be up there! They would probably m&a me just for that if I was still in!

3-Cents,

Yes Craig got himself a Bible PDA and he loved it.

I don't remember the exact time frame. I was in-rez until 1990, and for about four years after that I came in to HQ for a lot of the live events like corps week and adv.class special. I remember seeing him use it while sitting at a teaching desk. And I remember him saying how convenient it was to look things up that occurred to him while listening to a teaching, or that he could look something up while teaching the corps.

And of course, as word got out that CRAIG had a Bible-PDA, EVERYONE (every guy) wanted a Bible-PDA (including my ex, who also followed the "Craig has a short haircut and goatee, so I will have a short haircut" fashion statement)

I would say that I still look at rows of chairs to see if they are perfectly aligned, then I picture some Corps guy/girl yelling at someone because they weren't.

If I am late for something, I still feel a bit guilty about it.

I still address my prayers to "My Heavenly Father".

I still rise when someone important enters the room.

Dave, I do the same things: feel guilty about being late, but twi or not, it's rude.

I also stand and my daughters dang well better, for instance, when an older woman needs their seat or an older man too, enters and introduces themselves, or someone 'important' such as when they met the Governor recently. It's polite, twi or not, IMO.

Courtesy things are good habits.

I can sure relate to the being late thing....it was so much a part of me that it became second nature. At least until the job I have now! We are valued because we are good at what we do, not cause we know how to tell time.

I also got over the "just so" thing.

However...I still have to end a prayer with "In the name of Jesus Christ" (like he doesn't know who he is)

And still question those who have to quote verses for everything they do (like Shaz said).

Manners are important to me...but so is teaching our kids to stand up for themselves (the RIGHT way).

And I absolutely refuse to believe that the cleanliness of my home reflects ANYTHING important. (especially since we pay someone to clean it once a week icon_redface.gif:o--> we bad)

quote:
However...I still have to end a prayer with "In the name of Jesus Christ" (like he doesn't know who he is)
l

Oh, that is a tough one. I keep telling myself it's OK to not end a prayer with that. I've toned it down by saying "in Jesus' name I pray", "in your son's name", or ending it by not saying a closing like that at all. That's all it really ever was in twi. An indicator to the end of the prayer. The "magic" words to make it all come true.... anim-smile.gif No different than playing Simon Says.

I try never to look for cobwebs anymore they never hurt anyone and at christmas time you can spray them with colored "dust" and they look beautiful.

I never say renew your mind and will smack anyone who tells me to.

I know I'm in for it when someome especially leadership says to me "How would you like to get blessed?" I just know that means giving something of mine that I want or be cleaning some lazy leaders house (thats why thier homes are so clean cuz they get us to do the work) instead of taking care of our house we do thiers and then get yelled at for being a slob. I can stay up late at night now and sleep late if I want w/o guilt.

I could go on and on but don't want to bore you to tears as many leaders have in thier teachings BOOORRRINGGG

quote:
Originally posted by Steve!:

Belle -

Yeah, a 6th corpse woman told our wow team that you should count the stairs that you climb in case the power goes out or whatever.

I've seen value in it from time to time, but very rarely.

I find more value in carrying a flashlight in my pocket.

Then I don't have to count anything. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ex---your mom's thereapist??? Well, that surely says it all don't it??

VP told us to be very aware of our surroundings; a good way was to know how many steps that lead up into a building. Sounded plausible at the time to develop an awareness of things around us. It can be taken to a paranoid level---like never touching a doorknob without protecting your hands.

However, I do look under my car when I've parked in a public garage........

quote:
like never touching a doorknob without protecting your hands.

I wear surgical gloves, at all times -- especially when honking someone else's horn, in the therapist's parking lot, as the owner of the car flees, (kitty safe in hand), counting steps, as they head willy-nilly into the great unknown. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Seriously -- my life (and habits), were such a catastrophe (before twi) icon_eek.gif that I have actually gotten some good pointers from them,

Did I listen?? Naw -- I didn't, but everytime I look at the progeny of the "dust bunnies" that have been here at my house for over a decade, I sometimes get the urge to actually implement those pointers. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Stupid habits?? The only one I can "accuse" twi of inflicting on me is --- not drinking anything when I eat. Don't know if that is good or bad, but I am comfortable with it, even after all these years.

quote:
I always look under my therapist's car when I hear somebody honk their horn while counting steps.

This is what happens when you don't keep up with a thread. You find a quote like this and wonder what the heck is going on.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Like DM, I received good advice over the years. Some folks were in TWI and some weren't. It would be a stretch (ok, fantasy) to say that HQ could take credit for them. Most of it came from just normal "nobody's" like myself.

Also, if I ever need a conversation starter for a party, I can always try to do that "vacuum in straight lines or squares in the carpet" trick. That's pretty handy. icon_wink.gif;)-->