GreaseSpot Cafe

Personal Posting Names and Avatars

Digitalis

Many of us here at The Cafe use psuedo names and have avatars or pics that we also put up to represent some part of ourselves or maybe our beliefs that we convey to others.

I have often been asked about my name and what it means. I have been told that I have a really kool pic by a couple of people who happen to like it.

When I look at ones name and avatar, I feel it's a representation of that person, whom they are. I may read that representation correctly and then again I might not. I have with many of you only my personal hypothesis of what your pseudo name and avatars mean. Instead of guessing from now on I hope that many of you will share on your chosen names and avatars.

I'll go first

DIGITALIS

Digitalis, otherwise known as foxglove, is one of the most famous medicinal plants in human history. In the late 1700s it was identified as a medicine for what was then called dropsy, and which is now referred to as congestive heart failure. It was a medicine that allegedly made the heart glad. In the next two centuries, it became one of the most widely used plants for all manner of heart illnesses. The beautiful foxglove healed the failing heart; it resolved hearts that were beating too fast or too irregularly. Its effects were rapid, and in those with failing or irregular hearts, the effects were almost miraculous. The medicine made from digitalis is digoxin.

Digitalis is as dangerous as it is healing. It is poisonous and can be fatal if you eat its leaves. Although, its leaves are used for the medicine that heals ones heart. My heart had been poisoned and hurt and while I was lurking at Waydale years ago I began a healing process so when I signed up, being a florist and having knowledge of flowers, I signed up as Digitalis and have been known as since time from Waydale to GreaseSpots .....

My Old avatar was of a heart man jumping up and down years ago and I thank Templelady who helped me find it and put it up.

My New Avatar "Never Let Them See You Cry" I have found that in this life you sometimes need rhino skin to make it through without getting hurt. Well my skin isn't of rhino, I do get hurt. But when I am hurt I am going to overcome and handle it and never allow anything like TWI get me down again. So my avatar reminds me to be strong.

My signature is to remind me that tears are meant to be saved for tears of love and joy, that happiness can be found in tears.

Thats me in a nutshell,

Digi

........................ Whom ever wants to share ...................... Please Do .................

:love3:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is really nothing special. About 6-8 years ago, moony3424 was my log-on at work (moony was also my nickname awhile back). To make things easier for me to remember log on I had all my log-ons as that.

My avatar? I liked it and thought that it fit my name.

Edited by moony3424

As some people here know, I play racquetball.

In racquetball, a "Z" shot is when a when you hit the ball and it first hits the back wall then a side wall then the side wall on other side of the court (before the ball bounces), normally if the ball is hit properly, the ball will travel in a horzintal motion towards the other side wall.

My "current" avatar is the official logo of USAR (USA Racquetball).

I post on a "racquetball" forum, and kept the same psuedo name when posting here.

Mine is my real name; I started using it rather than something else long ago in Waydale because I wanted my late husband's family to be able to find me should they find their escape from TWI.

That's not happened and not so important to me anymore, so I just keep it 'cuz it's still possible they'll hollar or someone else that knew Bob or me will recognize it.

Fockler is my maiden name and while networking to find my place in the Social Worker field, I need it because of the connections it implies in this area and North is my married name.

I like to change my avatar often, depending on my mood. The alligator on there now fits my 'go ahead and try it, I'll take your face off' lately. Sometimes it's sweet pics of my grand baby. Now I'm changing it to one of her and her mama, my first born baby.

The line about the proctologist.......well I dunno, it says what I think but is funnier than 'get your head outa your butt'

wouldn't you like to know what this one is saying? :realmad:

My name justloafing is from a friend that had a boat named just loafing. He used that name because when he was out on the water that is what he was doing, just loafing. I borrowed it from him because when I first started on the internet that is what I thought I was doing, just loafing. Little did I know how busy I would get on the net at that time. I just like the name and have stuck with it.

My avatar: I need to get it working again. My avatar of a man pouring gas on himself and then lighting a match and setting him self on fire, no way represents me. I saw it one day on the web and I just thought it was funny. After all it is a stick figure and that is what I took it for.

That's me

I started posting with my real, full name back on Waydale and on the CES board. I changed it to my first name and the year of my birth. Then, out of minor concern for identity theft and acceptance of what I was being called anyway, I shortened it to just plain Raf (harder to misspell, too).

My avatar is me. It used to be Jon Lovitz in a tuxedo doing an impression of me at an NAHJ function.

My avatar is a picture of St. Maximilian Kolbe. He voluntarily sacrificed himself while a prisoner in Auschwitz so that man with a family would be spared (providentially, the man he replaced actually survived his imprisonment):

Early in 1938 the saint was already certain that war was imminent, and began to prepare his spiritual children for any possible fate, even martyrdom. "Would it not be the supreme honor if we could seal our Faith with our blood?...What a dream!"

When the Germans invaded Poland in 1939, Saint Maximilian was ordered to cease his publishing. Niepokalanow then turned its attention to treating the war injured. Before long the Gestapo arrested Father Kolbe and imprisoned him at Amtitz. He was released, but only to be arrested again on February 17, 1941. This time he was sent to the dreaded Auschwitz, and there under an inhuman monster of a commandant named Fritch, he became known as Prisoner Number 16670, just one more of the thousands of human statistics living in the terror of that vast horror chamber.

Maximilian Kolbe would have been hated enough by his Nazi keepers just for being a Pole. But he was a Catholic priest as well, and his tormentors reserved their finest cruelty for that class of prisoner. In spite of his obviously wretched health, he was assigned the hardest and dirtiest tasks in the camp. Dogs were set upon him supposedly to make him work faster, but actually more to torture the poor man. And should he stumble or fall in his cruel work, as he did many times, he would be beaten and kicked till he lost consciousness.

And still, saint that he was, Father Kolbe not only endured this barbarity with heroic patience and courage, but he was the most loving and tender consoler to fellow inmates who suffered not nearly as much. The fact is that he was happy to receive the brutal beatings that put him in the infirmary, for there he could hear confessions in the dark of the night without being noticed.

The roll call one July morning at Block Fourteen, where Saint Maximilian was being kept, revealed that a prisoner had escaped. Commandant Fritch's policy in such cases was to assemble all the prisoners from the block in the yard where they would stand at attention the whole day. If, by the end of the day, the escapee had not been recovered, ten others would be chosen at random to die in his place - death by starvation.

By three o'clock the prisoner was still not found and Fritch selected his victims. One of them, Francis Gajowniczek, cried out, "My poor wife, my poor children! What will happen to my family!" At that moment another prisoner stepped up to the commandant with hat in hand. Fritch bellowed, "What does this Polish pig want?"

The reply came: "I am a Catholic priest from Poland. I would like to take his place, because he has a wife and children."

A Witness recalls, "From astonishment, the commandant appeared unable to speak. After a moment he gave a sign with the hand. He spoke but one word: 'Away!' Gajowniczek received the command to return to the row he had just left. In this manner Father Maximilian took the place of the condemned man."

From the hour that Father Kolbe descended into the starvation bunker - dark, cold underground cells of torture where human beings were left naked without any food or water to shrivel up and die in unspeakable agony - from that hour a great change came over the horrible place. Its keepers testify that the wailing and cries of suffering that earlier reverberated off the bunker's walls were now converted into prayers and hymns. The change, in fact, was seen throughout the whole camp. Beatings were less frequent and less severe after the holy man's sacrifice. Even Fritch himself took no more hostage - victims to die in the place of escapees.

"Never before," said the guards, "have we seen anything like this." When they made their morning rounds at the bunker to remove starvation - consumed corpses, they would find among the heaps of agonized, half-dead victims one who was always in prayer on his knees or standing, one who was always bright and fully conscious, one who was always peaceful and well kept. That one was Father Kolbe. "As if in ecstasy, his face was radiant. His body was spotless, and one could say that it radiated light," an attendant reports. "I will never forget the impression this made on me."

After two weeks, the saintly priest was still alive and in this same beautiful state. The Germans needed the cell, however, and could wait no longer for him to die. On the morning of August 14, 1941, the director of the infirmary came with a syringe loaded with a lethal dose of carbolic acid. Upon entering the saint's cell, Maximilian cheerfully offered the executioner his arm for the injection, and with it the frail remnant of his life for God. The next day, on the Feast of Our Lady's Assumption, the body of Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe was cremated, thus ironically fulfilling his dearest dream of immolating himself completely: "I would like to use myself completely up in the service of the Immaculata, and to disappear without leaving a trace, as the winds carry my ashes to the far corners of the world...."

A decent account of his entire life can be found here: http://www.catholicism.org/maximilian-kolbe.html

His life has always been a source of awe for me.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away - An onion a day keeps everyone away, especially LCM. Just a simple statement that I want nothing do do with LCM or TWI.

My AVATAR is my heritage. Both sides of my family can be traced back to 1632 in "Port Royal, Acadia" which is now Nova Scotia. "Je suis Acadien", and cousin to the Cajun.

Oh My this is really awesome,

Moony you do have a awesome pic. My husband likes it very much.

Zshot ....... I had no Idea that was related to racquet ball. I Thought maybe you were a bar tender. Please don't skin me alive.

Shellon ...... all this time I thought those were snake fangs hanging out didn't recognize it as an allegator, I need glasses ......... of zshots .......... LOL. I like your meet the Focklers pics too.

JoastLoafing, I can understand the name but it did turn into a full time job for you ... I really loved you rottweiller pic you had up. ......... but a man burning with gasoline LOL.

Raf ....... I do remember the whole name up at waydale ........ but now I know you are the weatherman and thats really awesome ............ I thought you were in a different line of work until GreaseSpotCafe cleared it up for me LOL.

Mark ........ What an awesome story ......... Iam Polish my grandfather came over to this country twice the second time to escape the war ........

OnionEater ........ Good Call ......... what a kool heritage ...... I am stuck with pollock jokes.

CoolChef .......... you are kool dude and I can't wait to try out your milk batter.

This is really great

Digi

Edited by Digitalis

Wow WhiteDovey ......... you are a Lovey Dovey ........ thank you so much ..... for posting the link.

I briefly looked but now I have mucho mucho reading to do. Just wanted to say thanks now because it might take awhile.

I also noticed there are numerous wonderful people I realize I have not seen in here in awhile that are in that link ............ memories la ta da la ta da .................

I did notice there are quite a few who aren't in there so please if you want to post your name and avatar meaning please continue to do so this is fun.

GeorgeSt.George my kiddo likes comic books and my grandmother has boxes of them stored since my mom and her brothers were kids plus from when we were kids ........ Grandfather died a couple of years ago and now i wonder with her getting rid of stuff if she still has all thosr boxes of comic booksl....... I am gonna have to call my mom in the states and ask, my kiddo would love to read them and they have got so darned expensive.

Now I am off to read the link that Dovey put up ...................................and for those who aren't in the link or if you have changed your name or avatar .....................................................please post this is fun.

Digi

I debated about what handle to use when first signing up. I considered going the low road to express my experience with TWI (you know, "Betrayed" "Screwed Up" "LostForGood", "ThrownAway", stuff like that) but then I decided to take the high road and chose a good moment in time.

This is a true story.

I was living in a Way Home after taking the class, still in high school, and working afternoons and weekends at a Kentucky Fried Chicken in the San Fernando Valley in LA. It was getting near Halloween and our Twig was planning a Mini-concert/fellowship for Halloween night. R#$#n H%^$N, bless her heart, was practicing "I'm on the top of the world", which was a top ten song around then (yeah, I'm really dating myelf now!). She was a beautiful woman and a great singer, and we all enjoyed her music.

A few days before the party, I was working late on a Saturday night at KFC. We had had a very busy day, the store was closed, and we were cleaning up, listening to the local radio playing in the background, when we were interrupted by two men wearing ski masks and carrying double barrel shotguns. When they first came in the back of the store, I thought it was a joke being played by some other co-workers who were off that night, so I didn't follow the screamed commands being given until I saw the guns. I froze. One of the a$$h$$%'s pointed the gun at me and told me to get down. I didn't move. He then aimed the gun away from me and fired. It totaled the disposal system and got my attention in a hurry. After they grabbed the money and left, my co-workers picked my up and put me in a chair.

The enormity of what had just happened hit me, and my little 17 year old brain began to disintregrate. I could feal myself beginning to fall to pieces when suddenly, on the radio, came "I on the top of world looking down on creation!" Hearing that song snapped my brain back like a rubber band, and I knew that God had not only saved us, but saved me from a mental breakdown. That's how I interpreted it anyway. So TopOfTheWorld is my way of saying that everything is allright no matter what, and God shows his faithfulness in sometimes unexpected ways.

My nickname is just for fun I guess.

When I was in residence in the Tenth Corps, Dr. Wierwille got a hold of this video taped movie called "Jonny Lingo" that was put out by the Mormons. The basice essence of the story is of a fine, handsome and wealthy Polynesian man named "Jonny Lingo", and how he returned to his home island village to "buy himself a wife". And so, as word spread amongst the excited islanders that "Jonny Lingo is coming to town! Jonny Lingo is coming to town!", the young unmarried girls all hoped that they would be the one that Jonny Lingo would "pick" to be his wife. Of course, during this story, it was a source of humor that the cultural custom was that men seeking wives pay the fathers of the soon to be brides with a "payment of cows". And so, as the excitement in the village grew, with many older married women bragging about how many cows their husbands paid for them, the older gals wondered how many cows the fine and handsome and wealthy Jonny Lingo would pay for his prospective bride.

And as it happened, Jonny Lingo picked a supposedly "homely and stupid" girl named "Mohanna". And when Jonny went to the drunk and slovenly father of Mohanna, the father stumbled to the edge of the jungle and called to her: "Mohanna You Ugly! Come out of there! Jonny wants to buy you for his wife!!" And of course, the abused girl came from the jungle very timidly, and Jonny Lingo paid an unprecedented eight cows for her! And of course all of the old biddies were scandalized that the piece of crap Mohanna would have had such a high price paid for her, for, imagine that! An Eight Cow Woman!

And, when Jonny took her home, and loved her into loving herself, she became the beautiful woman that she actually was, and they lived happily ever after. The moral of the story being that People are to be loved, not used and abused. And when people are loved, the very best comes out in them and their beauty shines forth.

And of course in the Corps, we guys delighted in telling our Corps Sistahs with "Islander accent" things like "Hey Suzy, you not eight cow woman, you ten cow woman!" I am sure that many of you remember this, but maybe some of you do not. But, this is why I chose the name, to be humorous, but I guess as well because Jonny was a really nice guy, and I try to be also. One thing that is cool though, there has been a new movie out in the mainstream called "The Legend Of Jonny Lingo", and I found a poster online of the "young Jonny Lingo", and so, thanks to Tom Strange, I was able to pull it up as my avatar. And with this new GSCafe, my Jonny Lingo avatar is even bigger and more easily seen... :)

Don't remember if I did anything on the other thread...too lazy right now to go look. LOL Whatever, I don't think I've ever told the 'whole' story because the story evolved so much...so here goes...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy back in the day (1998 or 1997 LOL), we got WebTV. I had no clue as to what the internet was, how it worked, why anybody would be so interested or anything else. All I wanted was to be able to get email.

Well, the guy who installed our WebTV asked me what I wanted my name to be on the internet. I said, "Well, my name." He explained why that wasn't a good idea and urged me to choose something to describe myself...and then he said that whatever I picked, I'd be stuck with it forever. I've learned a whole lot since then! LOL

Anyway, life was going pretty good for us. We were well established in our own home for the first time ever, we were 'upstanding citizens' of our community, our kids were doing great, and we were pretty sure we had broken the twi addiction. (We hadn't yet, but didn't know it until GSCI.)

So I felt as if our long time in the desert (like the Hebrews after the exodus) was finally over and life was Cool. But 'Cool' was taken. So I had to think some more. Sigh. LOL. My son said to think of it like I was taking my Native American name. That was kinda kewl to me! My element has always been water...and what else besides CoolWaters does a desert good? :D Then I remembered Proverbs 25:25 "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country."

Well, it just all fit what I wanted to say about myself and to grow into.

On trancechat I was always CoolWaters. Then there was this big fight about people too 'sneaky' and 'dishonest' to use their real names, so when WayDale came along, I registered with my real name...Victoria. After awhile, that got butchered into some nasty stuff...and I was feeling more grown up in my life (which meant, partially, that I was not caring so much about people's 'comfort level' with what handle I used)...so I went back to CoolWaters.

As I said earlier, I wasn't even aware of how much waybrain was in my head until GSCI...and CoolWaters is a name I had to grow into. (Whether I'm worthy of the name even yet, I dunno...but I'm working on it! :D )

Then came my 'pagan' period. I settled into Shamanism and CoolWaters was absolutely exactly what I was doing. Add some yoga to the mix and CoolWaters was my mantra.

So for my eclectic travels in the spiritual realm, CoolWaters has stuck like glue even in 3D. In fact, more people call me CoolWaters than call me Victoria or Vicky! LOL

And this is also where my avatar finally ended up...the yin yang...the balance of all things...the journey of the sun throughout the year...the interrelatedness of everything...the importance of recognizing patterns and cycles.

The words under the avatar go with my moods, as do my signatures.

"Curiousity killed the cat...satisfaction brought her back!" is totally descriptive of where I'm at in life right now.

Cheshire Kitty and "whaddya lookin' at?" seems quite apropos for it all. LOL

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :P

Well, my answer is a little longer than last time.

I still have a strong internal identification with wolves.

They protect their families, and don't plot amongst themselves,

and their social structures are closer to humans than other animals are.

In short, I wish more people I knew were more like them.

(Except for the "killing to get dinner" part, of course-

but it's effectively what we do anyway.)

The "Word" part, I trust, needs no explanation.

So, what's important to know about me?

If you understand the screen-name, then you've got the basics.

=========

As for the icon, it was made specifically FOR me by an artist.

A wolf with The Word.

It's actually part of a larger picture, but this is the part that

can fit on an icon.

Due to the size-limitation of the icons, I boosted the

contrasts of the image to make it clearer. So it's sharper and

harsher than the original.

My user name "Cowgirl"....................

I think of someone who is a little wild and adventurous, kinda describes me, even my hair is kind of wild, curls all over the place. I love everthing about the country, the openess, everything just growing naturally, untamed, it really apeals to my senses and I have this thing for cowboy boots, it's either that or barefeet.

My avatar........ depicts a country girl out in a garden gathering wildflowers, things that I love to do, I'm a country girl at heart, I love nature, simplicity, everything natural even the way I dress is pretty much down to earth, faded blue jeans, lace and simple floral dresses. I love sunsets at night, the first snowfall of the year, runs in the woods, the sound of crickets in the summer, fireflies at night, candlelit bubblebaths, being in love with Goey (just had to put that in there) I guess you could call me a hopeless romantic.

So when it came to choosing a picture I would have to say that it captures quite a bit of my personality.

Well...my husband signed me up here.... when we were first married he bought a metalic purple truck for me that had the word RASCAL painted in huge orange letters across the side of it....

Also with the maiden name of *coon* it reminded me of the Sterling north story about a raccoon by that name

Funny thing though....whem I became rascal in the forums....my personality changed as well...I became fiestier....more spunky....became couragious enough to start evaluating my twi beliefs and experiences....

It is funny because my *rascal* side through the years has since bled over into my *cathy* side....I like the rascal me better.

My kids even refer to me as rascal now :)

So Chatty Kathy, would you like to spend a moonlit evening on an outrigger canoe with Jonny Lingo, with the swaying palms rustling in the sea breeze, mai tais in our hands, the soft crush of the waves on the sand.... I could talk to your father, and I have many cows...

But you'd probably say no...Haha!

Mr. Jonny Lingo I do believe you are a persistent one aren't you! And with that quality you best have a bunch of cows. :)

um, I wrote this real quickly and it doesn't quite look right after coming back so I need to amend this.

That was very flattering to think an old fart like myself would be treated in such manner. I didn't mean anything other than that and I know for certain you are kidding with me and I meant to do so in return.

Edited by ChattyKathy

TOPOFTHEWORLD

Wowsa girl .............. I would have kept that song in my heart for ever too after that experience. Double barrel shotgun going of near you like that is enought to engrain anything into ones head including a tune or two. To bad for the garbage disposal system but better it than you .......... talk about divine intervention. I am happy you are still with us to date yourself with the song.

Bye the way it was a really good song ............. wasn't it the Carpenters?

JohnyLingo ............. cowabunga dude ....... reminds me of the Spicoli days with Sean Penn

Digi