GreaseSpot Cafe

Tattoos on women

ChasUFarley

I got bitten by the tattoo bug a few years ago...

Actually, I had wanted to get one for about 20 years and FINALLY got the nerve (and support) to do it.

I have a large iris on my back - I want to add to it, but gradually. (GOOD tats aren't cheap - mine is excellent!)

045610.jpg

(the pic doesn't do it justice - that's my iris)

There's a couple others I want to get... a celtic design for womanhood (maiden, mother, and crone.) (I'm a crone in training.)

Anyhow...

Where to get them, is becoming the question...

I admire the women who are brave enough to sport sleeves - very cool. But don't know if I have the nerve to do anything that bold. I love the one on my back but I can't see it without looking in a mirror...

Do you think tats on women are gross? Should they be hidden? Or do you think society is pretty accepting of them?

Just wondering...

Edited by ChasUFarley

Personally Im a big fan

The quality has improved so drastically over the last several years, that they really are,or at least approach, being real works of art and not the 'jailhouse' tattoos of the past.

The Iris is beautiful.

A Timeless symbol, very elegant, and deftly rendered

My only sometime concern is some of the less thought about immature designs that seem to be a fad with teenage girls who will have to wear them through their life after they have grown out of their immature personas.

That doesnt seem to be a problem with you-- go for it.

I know where I am its not a problem, its as common as seeing babies with curly hair

At my work all tatooes male or female need to be covered. I work in the human service field .

Some tatoos can be offensive (not your flower tho) so it across the board policy, so to avoid discrimination or bias.

I wouldnt call this policy uncommon in the public areana or "service" customer or other wise .

Long sleeves and band aids by resturant personal is a sign of this policy in effect. of course more conservative jobs only would require it.

I think they are pretty or can be and i also recognize some gangs use them to identify one another.

Chas,

I wonder why people will permanently disfigure their bodies knowing they may not feel the same way 20 years later. WWII Navy and Marines liked to tattoo "Semper Fi" or ship anchors or.. get this... their girlfriends' names on their chests and arms. A lot of them were sorry later. Doesn't it remind of you of that Jimmy Buffet tune, "With nothing to show but this brand new tattoo. But it's a real beauty, A Mexican cutie, how it got here I haven't a clue."

Welllllll... if you're happy with your new tat then that's fine with me because you're all grown up now and there are worse things than defacing your skin which is just really a cosmetic issue. At least none of my daughters have decided to permanently deface themselves. But if they do.. they're legally adults now. Have you seen this video?? Click HERE!

sudo

I dunno.. I think anything goes.. but I would really think a person should think a few times before tattoing their boyfriend/girlfriend's name somwhere..

tattoos have been proven to have longer longevity than marriage.

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

For me, it's not a matter of right or wrong, though some religions do consider it taboo.

(That is part of why it is such a serious issue for a holocaust survivor to have to live with a concentration camp tatoo.)

No, for me it is more a matter of taste. I am from the old school. I don't like to see tattoos on women.

I don't think it is wrong(imo), I just don't think they look attractive.

My niece, who is a very attractive young lady, has a very tasteful and artistic one between her shoulder blades.

It was very obvious when she wore a backless?(don't know much about dresses) wedding gown.

I thought it looked tasteful but still somehow distracting.

I don't much care for tattoos on women. That's just my opinion. But what do I know? I'm just an old fart.

Sudo,that video was hysterical...

That Iris looks real nice...I like flowers or butterflies on women,but I don't care for spiderwebs,skulls,daggers,cobras or Bob Marley smokin' a marijuana joint...There's this 40-something new-age lady I know who in the last couple of years got these huge tattoos of some goddess or other on each upper arm and she's always wearing sleeveless dresses....Makes her look too much like a truckdriver...

Matter of personal taste

I think the sloping of a woman's back as nature had it, has a beauty of its own. Like Angelina Jolie prior to all the ink.

I think a man's arms have a gorgeous appeal without pictures on them.

But that is just me.

My Father always said that his father told him - never get a tatoo as you can be identified by them. (Ya know like a young man getting into trouble, I guess)

It is pretty Chas.

I used to wonder why people would get tattoos.

For young people, the risk is very high that as they mature emotionally, their tastes and values will change.

Some tattoos on either women or men are nice some are not.

When I got mine, I was 49 and used a framed print that I had for more than 20 years for a design... so I was pretty confident I wouldn't have buyers' remorse regarding the particular image. BTW, the artist that put the tattoo on my leg said he refuses to put people's names on, with some exceptions... for example, putting your child's name, or a parent's name in a tattoo is fine... as those relationships endure.

I LOVE your Iris, Chas... it's beautiful, it's delicate, it's elegant.

If you put as much thought into one's you consider in the future, I'd figure those too will be very nice.

i don't like tats on anyone,but that is your choice

if you want them get as many as you want,

but remember the 20yo gal who has a pretty rose bud on her upper breast will have a long stemmed rose on her belly when she is 60.

buy the way my wife has a small turkey tattooed on the inside of her upper thigh and a pic of santa on the other one.

weird

when i asked her why she did that

she replied that i was always complaing there was nothing good to eat between thanksgiving and christmas

hope i don't get in trouble for that!!

Coolchef, that is funny.

I do not care for tatoos, but our daughter has our underwear bunched up over hers.

2 NOT 1 but 2 hummingbirds on her chest above each breast. She may as well of, had 747's ready for take off put there, cause they are not small and dainty but huge. 40 years down the line I can't imagine what they will look like.

She told my mother that she wanted a portrait of her done on some part of her body, My mom's comment was you better get a young picture of me, cause 50 years later I'll look just right!!!!!

Edited by Ca_dreaming

Coolchef,

Very funny!! Can't wait to tell my boyfriend that. :biglaugh:

I saw a lady come in to my work with a tank top on. You could see the top of her tattoos on each breast. They were probably supposed to be lightning bolts but where they were placed they just looked like ugly stretch marks. Should have thought that one thru a little better.

I dunno, it's yer body and you can do to it what you like, but I've got serious reservations about any tattoos.

Usually, even if the artwork is really good (and it usually is), the end result ends up looking like a skin condition or something from any kind of distance. And have you ever seen an elderly person with tattoos? They don't age well.

I remember a friend from H.S. that I saw in a bar a few years after we'd graduated. He had a small rose on his shoulder. Kinda cool I thought. A few months later I saw him again, and the rose had grown tendrils and vines and was working it's way around his arm and down to his wrist. A year or so later the vines and flowers and jungle vegetation had overtaken his whole upper body, and seemingly no end in sight. At that point it occurred to me that from a little distance away it looked like some hideous cancer was consuming his flesh. The mind picture's never gone away.

Skin can be pretty, even with a little age and a few wrinkles. Tattoos? Not so much...

Oh, and another thing, if you're ever visiting Japan, there's a number of establishments that won't allow you in if you have a visible tattoo (I think this is a Yakuza thing).

Edited by George Aar

I dunno, it's yer body and you can do to it what you like, but I've got serious reservations about any tattoos.

Usually, even if the artwork is really good (and it usually is), the end result ends up looking like a skin condition or something from any kind of distance. And have you ever seen an elderly person with tattoos? They don't age well.

I remember a friend from H.S. that I saw in a bar a few years after we'd graduated. He had a small rose on his shoulder. Kinda cool I thought. A few months later I saw him again, and the rose had grown tendrils and vines and was working it's way around his arm and down to his wrist. A year or so later the vines and flowers and jungle vegetation had overtaken his whole upper body, and seemingly no end in sight. At that point it occurred to me that from a little distance away it looked like some hideous cancer was consuming his flesh. The mind picture's never gone away.

Skin can be pretty, even with a little age and a few wrinkles. Tattoos? Not so much...

Oh, and another thing, if you're ever visiting Japan, there's a number of establishments that won't allow you in if you have a visible tattoo (I think this is a Yakuza thing).

C'mon George, I heard that you had a big tattoo of the Cheshire Cat right on your butt cheek...

Not a fan of tattoos on men or women. My stepdaughters both have small ones on their lower backs. The Countess was livid, but what's done is done. They seem satisfied (i.e., no desire for more), so I don't worry about it.

George

Come to think of it, one of Green Lantern's arch-enemies was the Tattooed Man! ;)

Hmmmm.

The "deadhead" comment brought to mind an incident.

A couple of years ago, one of our salesmen came into the office during his off hours wearing shorts.

( Not allowed while on the clock)

Right there, for all the world to see, on one of his calves was that smiling bear with the tamborine that instantly betrayed a secret past he may have been better off not advertizing to his colleagues.

Yep. He'd been a "deadhead".

That's an image that doesn't mix too well with our customer base.

Good thing he hasn't run into any of them at the grocery store while he is casually dressed.

At my work all tattoo's male or female need to be covered. I work in the human service field .

Some tattoos can be offensive (not your flower tho) so it across the board policy, so to avoid discrimination or bias.

I wouldn't call this policy uncommon in the public arena or "service" customer or other wise .

Pond has a valid point -- given certain *services* (medical, etc.) offered to the public.

One of the best co-workers I have is a young female, studying for a career in nursing,

and has multiple tattoos (all hidden, with the exception of her right ankle).

For whatever reason -- the subject of tattoos came up,and she made the comment that ---

if she was to realize a job in her chosen field (nursing) -- she could have NO visible tattoos.

So she chose hers wisely, with a view for a good job after graduation.

Which led to further discussion about how it might be viewed as *nothing*,

by future patients she might have 20 years from now.

I'm guessing her ankle tattoos won't *disintegrate* like the others she may have,

(where ever she may have them -- on bodily parts unknown -- to me).

Personally -- I'm "old school" like Waysider and Geo.

Don't care for them myself, but it's all about a person's choice.

Several of my co-workers have them, as well as one of the clients.

That would be Loren, and he's turning 76 years old this coming Saturday.

Tattoos: Not my cup of tea. But I understand that the young folks really like them. Hopefully in 20 years, they'll have something a little less painful and expesnive than the laser removal is reported to be.

But it's not my decision one way or the other. It's yours.

I'm ok with them, provided they are tasteful, and small.

I don't like the "climbing up the arm" type on men OR women.

I suppose even a number of them- discreetly placed and small-

work be seen as fine by me.

Having stated my opinion, people can do whatever they want.

I do recommend not getting a person's NAME tattooed, of course.

Tattoos can look cool on a young woman, but I've seen tattooed women in their 50s and 60s who look horrendous. That little upper-arm "bracelet," for example, is suddenly encircling an arm that's no longer firm and young, and all I can say is YUCK! Your iris is very pretty, Chas, and I'm sure you'll consider the future appearance of any additional tattoos you get.

I think that they are very pretty, but germ freak that I am...I can`t get past the idea of trusting people to be sanitary.

I watched a documentary where an enormous percentage of students at a campus were infected with hepatitis (sp?) all being traced back to the tatoo and body piercing place that was popular.

I love watching miami ink and seeing th beautifull designes. I think personally one or two masterpieces...really really pretty ones is nicer than a whole lot of clutter of little or average.

I like the memorial tattoos....though my daughters boy friends was drawn by an amature friend and covers the whole arm and is hideous. He like it though, and it is a tribute to his sister...so what can you say..

Your tattoo is gorgeous Chas.