GreaseSpot Cafe

I am in a Quandry

Priscilla

Maybe this should be in Doctrinal..I don't know. Here in East TN we have been in the high 90's w/o rain for over 29 days.

I don't know if it is available to pray for rain. I am aware of the time when Jesus stopped a storm and when Elijah prayed for rain, but I believe those were "Revelation Moments".

We are in dire need of rain here, we are 1/2 of normal, and I can barely keep things alive in my garden.

Can anyone give me insight.

AsI said, maybe this should be in another forum, but this one seemed as good as any!

Thanks for any help!

Tracy

Maybe this should be in Doctrinal..I don't know. Here in East TN we have been in the high 90's w/o rain for over 29 days.

I don't know if it is available to pray for rain. I am aware of the time when Jesus stopped a storm and when Elijah prayed for rain, but I believe those were "Revelation Moments".

We are in dire need of rain here, we are 1/2 of normal, and I can barely keep things alive in my garden.

Can anyone give me insight.

AsI said, maybe this should be in another forum, but this one seemed as good as any!

Thanks for any help!

Tracy

My "insight" may or may not be worth two cents, but here's my thoughts:

Why would it NOT be available to pray for rain?

Are you sure that THIS is the real (bottom line, or underlying) question?

Might another, perhaps as valid or useful, question be: is it possible (available, or whatever other result oriented word you would care to insert here) for God to send rain based on the prayer of one or more individual? Perhaps the (effectual, fervent) prayer of a (righteous) man (person)?

I don't have the answer... just the questions.

(btw, here in the Sonoran desert, we ALWAYS need rain)

I never understood WHY anyone couldn't pray for something that was a need...

If you can pray for prosperity and you're a farmer who depends on rain for your crops, why can't you pray for rain?

What's the worst thing that would happen to you if you prayed for rain but weren't supposed to pray for it? Huh? Is God going to let it rain on everyone who DIDN'T pray for rain but not rain on those who DID pray for rain? WhazUpWidDat?

You pray for the rain you need and I'll pray you get it.

And pray for the bonehead who says you couldn't pray for rain to begin with, cuz' he's a twit.

Pray for what you need.

Let God decide how He wants to respond.

I agree here.

I live in Arizona in the Mojave desert. We didn't get rain for more than 4 months, and then the temperatures hit to around 110 every day for 3 weeks. I got concerned. We had plants and grass (yes grass in the desert!!) dying. Finally the monsoons came. It was the first time since living in this forsaken land that I welcomed them.

My parents have been dry for almost a year

Few sprinkles in TN

The pond dried up.

They need rain in TN

Lord we present the state of TN and some areas are desperate for rain, we are all in agreement Lord, we ask that it rain a steady rain for enough days, off and on, to make a healthy difference. We speak right to those old clouds and say, "Let there be rain" in the name of Jesus!

We picture the state, the rain and the weather report of success from Priss

I find it easier to pray for the weather than for people. with people you have to deal with their free will.

With the weather you just need the Lord and another person.

(Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.)

I have had quicker and more noticable results with praying against a fire storm and stopping an earthquake than praying for someone to get saved. George Mueller had to wait his whole life for some people to be saved, but he could put food on the table for his children day after day.

The more people you have praying for something the easier the burden lifts. But two one-hearted friends can accomplish much. I don't think I have a friend of this category left in the world, but I keep on praying.

I pray for the floods to smooth out and the rains to reach the places that need it. Nevada is so dry,and the Sierra Mountains look so dry! It's painfuly sad to see.

Hopefully,

I am in south central Tn. It is even worse here....our valley has had barely a drop since early july. Because there is no hay for a fall cutting....nobody can feed their cows this winter. All of our streams and ponds have dried up so there is nothing for them to drink even if the poor farmers could pay to ship the hay in to keep their herds alive.

All of my neighbors are selling their cows...it is heart breaking for the people who have lovingly nurtured their herds. Many they raise as bottle babies....they are broken hearted...for them it isn`t just animals that are replaceable.

Family farms that have operated for 4 generations are going out of business.

The horses cannot be sold...every week I hear of them being given away, pleads for hay to avoid starvation...nobody can afford to feed them, nobody wants to buy them...the vets are being called to farms to put them to sleep in order for them to not die of slow starvation.

The hay that I used to pay 15 $ a roll for is now 60 IF you can get it..... I go through two rolls a week in the winter...in the summer I normally rely on the grass...I have had to buy hay all summer. I am in serious trouble as well...having to borrow money from family just to keep them alive...

The news has asked us all to place buckets of water along our fence lines for the wild life as they are dying from thirst.

Last week at the stock yards in town, the cattle trailers were lined up and down the streets for blocks filled with my neighbors liquidated herds...Those who weren`t forced last fall to sell because of the drought...who hung on tenaciously thinking that this year would be better...are now forced to sell at a huge huge loss.

These are the foundations of the herds...their young heifers and calves...recovery isn`t going to be possible for many.

I drive by streams that have never in anyones living memory not run cold and deep...they are bone dry...not even a puddle....this is a disaster, I don`t know how we will recover.

Rain, yes...please pray for rain and lots of it. It is too late to help our farmers now, but it will save the wild life and maybe the horses.

((((((((((((Rascal))))))))))) When one member suffers, we all suffer. Wish I had known earlier to pray more. (But that's the way it always is, it seems. Holy Spirit nudges me to pray. . . but I am so lazy!)

I am so sorry.

Praying with you and for you and Texas, too.

In a Public Service Announcement, Christian Artist Michael W. Smith Asks Tennesseans to Seek God as to Why There is a Drought in Their State

"I believe God plays into the affairs of mankind on probably more levels than we even think. To blow God off is a big mistake. It's a big mistake to say, 'It's no big deal. This is life; this is nature.' I don't think that is the right answer or response...I think He has allowed the drought. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's because of some sort of sin. Wouldn't it be the right thing to do (to ask), 'Hey God, what are You trying to tell us? Whatever it is—if we need to clean up our act—show us what we need to repent. But please give us some rain."

Beverly Keel/TN (August 26, 2007)

(Tennessee)—The Tennessean has published a report saying singer Michael W. Smith believes that God has allowed the state's drought and has recorded a public service announcement for radio stations asking people to pray and fast to end it.

"I think we have a real emergency," he said. "There are a lot of droughts in the Bible and talk about people repenting and talking to God about rain. Nobody ever talks about that. Nobody ever says, 'Maybe we should stop and have a day of fasting and prayer.' I feel like that is the answer. I think He has allowed the drought. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's because of some sort of sin. Wouldn't it be the right thing to do (to ask), 'Hey God, what are You trying to tell us? Whatever it is—if we need to clean up our act— show us what we need to repent. But please give us some rain."

According to the report, Smith said he usually doesn't go out on a limb like this unless he really feels like he knows what he's talking about. "I am ready to take whatever hits I may take," said Smith.

Smith was quoted as saying that he began reflecting on the possibility that God may have caused the drought after his church prayed for rain. That afternoon, he said, he landed in a rainy Michigan for a show and realized that it had rained at every show location except one.

"This last week I started thinking, 'Is there something to this?' If you look at the normal rain pattern, it usually moves through Texas and Arkansas and then hits Tennessee. It has just missed us every time. When you go, 'This is a bit of a mystery,' then you search the Scriptures: 'Let's see if it happened in times past.' It certainly did, and there were some spiritual reasons why there was drought. Is there something going on that is meant for us?"

"I just want people to hear my heart on it...It doesn't have anything to do with politics or left-or right-wing," he added. "It's the truth, and the truth sets you free.

"I believe God plays into the affairs of mankind on probably more levels than we even think," he concluded. "To blow God off is a big mistake. It's a big mistake to say, 'It's no big deal. This is life; this is nature.' I don't think that is the right answer or response."

Source: The Tennessean

Thought you would like this. (I first saw Michael Smith at a Billy Graham meeting back in 1995, and fellin love with him because of his kind kind of gracefulness. I think he's terrific.) Edited by Kit Sober

Thought you would like this. (I first saw Michael Smith at a Billy Graham meeting back in 1995, and fellin love with him because of his kind kind of gracefulness. I think he's terrific.)

Why not a send Mr. Smith a packin’ back to Washington and have him a explain to Lincoln, WHY thar are a more “sinners” in good ol’ Tennessee dryin’ up (it still a dry state ain’t it?) than thar are a sinners in them other floodin neighborin states receivin’ a too much rain! Last I did read, the wet was a causin a more damage than the dry still? Jethro, get the hel! oudda here! :dance:

I suppose that it would move me if I didn`t know the farmers personally and what humble devout christians they are in our valley.

These are some of the kindest most decent God loving people I know. As a state, I think that we are pretty special. The weather patterns have changed period.

As I understand it...we need (sorry you coast folks) are hurricanes to bring the moisture up here from the gulf....I know the fla folks have appreciated the break, but hey...how bout taking one for the team...

I can see God now...oy...fla, ga, al, la praying for no storms....tenn begging for the storms that will bring rain...

What`s a God to do?