GreaseSpot Cafe

My old Way Bible

ex70sHouston

We decided to help the economy and recarpet the house. For those of you who have never had this experience it means boxing up everything and moving it out of the house so they can replace the carpet in the whole house. Now the problem, what box did I put my Bible in.

Short version is that the only Bible I have found for the last 2 weeks is the KJV Bible I used while in.

Why did I scratch out that word and put in another?

Why did that whole chapter get scratched out?

Please explain that note I wrote in the colume.

I could almost smell twig meetings.

Did you keep yours? Do you still use yours? Is it in the dumpster?

Maybe one of you computer guys can add a poll.

this is so funny

sure iv'e got my old bible,Cambrange?

the one with the wide margine

i don't why,but i read a chapter every night during lent and befor christmas

i don't know why but i do

funny tho,i have more notes and words in those margines than god has in the bible and i can't imagine what they are supposed to mean

oh,i forgot....brainwashed

about 3/4 of a year ago, I took my old loose leaf oxford.. took a deep breath, and sent it to the landfil. It had whole class sylabi transcribed in it, most of pfal, etc. etc..

it was the last item I had with any way theology transcribed in it..

I did the same thing, Ham. I had a wide margin oxford, all written up, even had color coding in places. Sent that one to the dump. We still have seven or eight bibles, New Testaments etc around the house, dfferent versions and types--even have my mom's old Catholic Bible with color illustrations. But none of those are filled with notes and teachings from ROA etc. Sheesh--bad thought I had once, that after I'm gone the kids would look through the old Bible, all sentimental, and contact the Way international.--After all, Mom must have really liked it.

I used to compare how much less writing I had done compared to others. Often it seemed that people felt more "spriritual" if they had lots of colors and writing in their bibles.

I still have mine...but dumped all other Way materials.

Edited by Rejoice

I still have both of my twi bibles. I plan to someday look through the things I wrote in them, before I burn them in a ritualistic healing ceremony. I'm just not ready yet.

I don't have mine either. I left it somewhere without meaning to. I'm sorry it's gone because I had the Oxford and there were several note pages in it. A few people wrote some things in there for me, and I would like to still have that.

I used to compare how much less writing I had done compared to others. Often it seemed that people felt more "spriritual" if they had lots of colors and writing in their bibles.

Me too, sista.

We're not worthy, We're not worthy, We're not worthy. (We suck!)

Wayne's World, scene with Alice Cooper

i have my old ones somewhere -- written stuff all over it

i have new ones somewhere -- nothing written in it

i don't read any of them

i just could never bring myself to throw out a bible

This is me... I have my Dad's that he took with him to Korea,,, two from my Mom One was my Grandmas... my one from being in the way and my one I bought seriously a year before I got involved in the Way.

The only "way bible" (what is that anyway? did the twi write a bible?) I have is the one John and Maryann gave me. I will cherish it always. They gave it to me on my birthday with a very personal, loving note. That was the same year my first child was born.

I have every Bible I have ever been given. I have my great-grandmother's, my grandmother's, (many notations I don't see eye to eye with) my dad's that he was given in Bible school when he was eight years old and one I received when I was 12 years old and voted Valentine something at the Baptist church we attended. It has a red cover. That is the Bible I took with me to my first twig and PFAL.

Likewise, THW.

So much tiny writing in the margins of my Bible - I used a Companion Bible and the margins on that aren't huge. I was also given another Companion Bible as a graduation present.

Nowadays I use several other more modern versions, from The Message (wacky!) to ... well, just about anything. Other versions are so much more readable, so much more understandable. But with such a KJV background, I find I use that as a "reference" point, to look up any other scripture.

Can't see myself throwing that Bible away, though.

Don't you think TWI only used KJV because the (stolen) class used KJV and they were too lazy to import it to another version (eg, NASB)?

And also because it gave "The Teacher" the opportunity to show off his "extensive" knowledge of Old English. ...Not that that knowledge was accurate, either grammatically, or in the meanings he assigned to it. And he certainly didn't teach some very significant bits that could have been ascertained from the use of some of the language - like the use of second person singular (thee, thou) in relation to the closeness of the relationship with God as Father (not the formal or remote second person plural (you, ye)).

My wife, who fortunately knew nothing of the way, started flipping through my old note covered Cambridge, not long ago. Don't ask me why I still have it.

Her first response was amazement that I wrote all over it, then wondered why I was crossing out lines, then reading my margin notes and asking me what they meant.

I admit I felt ridiculous. The notes were of course all way nonsense, and I couldn't ( and didn't want to) try to put the 'logic' and reasons for the notes she was asking me about. Then there was the note whenever fornication was used, where I wrote SPIRITUAL fornication next to it. sigh.

I put it back in the box of old books and syllabi in the closet. Again, I can't answer why I haven't ditched it all.

I still have all of mine that I used during the way years -- for better or for worse it was a part of my life.

I rarely look through the one that is all marked up or the Bullingers anymore. , If for some reason i want to read the Bible I read one that was left to me by my grandfather after I left TWI..Nice and clean, big print no eyestrain, no tripping over notes

Same here - my bible is the only physical thing that remains from my quarter-century in twi. I wasted no time getting rid of everything else.

It sits on my bookshelf like a personal museum piece; part of my life history.

All those tiny notes in the margins - my eyes were much better then!

I always saw the yellow ones. had that little metal ruler for underlining neatly and keeping notes straight

we used mechanical pencils because doctrine changed every year or so and rather than get a new bible, we could just erase the old notes and write in the new "true" interpretation.

Bolsihevek:: that brings back memories... I still remember everyone doing the notes with the little rulers and I do have some in my margins... but never got that far into the notation part of it... Mostly I was such a poor word study person I never felt comfortable just writing notes in there.. I do have lots in ephesians, I timothy, Acts of course and I cointhians. But I was repremanded several times for wanting to go by myself and study stuff before I filled up my bible with stuff.

I was supposed to just take what I was told and build on that. I guess I was arrogant in my own way wanting to learn it myself.

I still don't understand what the harm would be in me doing the studying myself to see how the person got to what they got too.

Good grief were they afraid I would come to a different conclusion... I was told I was not equiped to be able to study... becasue I didn't know the hebrew words blah blah blah.. How could my untrained brain understand these things.

Gads I still get angry about that after all these years... here I joined a teaching and research ministry so I could study the bible more effectively on my own or with others and they were telling me not to study.. but to just listen to what i was told.

I must have got this same lecture from at least 5 different corp people. One was my Husband. Did they tell yuou this in corps... that you couldn't study on your own as you were not able to pick up the subtle nuances that HEir Doctor understood becasue he had studied for 40 years and God spoke to him.

(Yes I am an idiot I kept saying I wanted to study it a bit more myself in the bible... you would think I would learn to shut my big mouth after the second lecture but no I am slow sometimes.)

I haven't looked at the last Bible I used in twi for many years, but I still have it. I'd never throw it away, not because I value all the notes in the margins, but because it represents a big chunk of my journey through this life and my search to know God.

My favorite is the Bible my great-great grandparents carried with them on their voyage from Liverpool, England, when they came to America in 1853. Listed among the births and marriages and deaths on its back pages are the names of my great-grandfather's two young brothers who died on that voyage and were buried at sea.

Any angst I've ever felt or hurt I've experienced in life, whether related to twi or not, fades in significance when I think of my great-great grandmother having to see her two precious little boys' bodies lowered from the side of the ship into the ocean, never to see them or hold them or hear their voices again. I can't imagine the strength it took for her to carry on, in a new country, with only 2 of her 4 children.

I have others that mean a lot to me, too--an old, battered copy of an 1881 English Revised version I found in a junk store for a quarter while I was in the middle of Donna R's class. In the next class session after I'd bought it, she mentioned that version and said something like, "You'll probably never find an original one of those today." I was practically jumping up and down in my seat, because I'd just found one! For a quarter! I always felt that was a blessing from God just for me.

I also have a little red leather New Testament I bought at a garage sale in New Knoxville that was printed in 1860. I wondered if it was carried in a soldier's pocket during the Civil War.

Then there's the little two-volume New English Revised New Testament that a friend gave to me before I got into twi, which his father had given to him. That's still one of my favorite versions.

I have lots of others, most bought in used bookstores or at garage sales that I used for studying over the years. I don't read them all as often as I used to, but like exsie, I could never throw them away.

Leafy, that is completely bizarre! You could only write "approved" notes? (LOL)

This is one of their bizarre things that I've never heard of. What year(s) were you discouraged from private study?

Linda - Yes, courage to carry on. But perhaps they were more used to death (especially early death) in those days - not the antibiotics and other drugs to deal with childhood illnesses. Still takes its toll, though. My great grandmother to the end of her days (aged 90) mourned the death of her 18 month old daughter.

Old Bibles can also often be picked up cheaply from charity bookshops (an inexpensive way to build up a collection of different versions). I find it strangely insulting that a Bible (whatever version) can be bought for pennies, the same price as some pulp fiction.

:offtopic:

Twinky, I'm sure you're right, in that the death of a child was much less of a surprise in the 19th century, but I don't think a mother could ever quite get used to losing a child, as your grandmother's experience would indicate. I like to think that perhaps the words in the old family Bible that sits on my shelf helped to encourage her so she could carry on.