GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI's own dialect

OldSkool

I always thought it was funny to see how many elaborative (and synonymic) descriptors could be placed into the standard Way greeting. . . example:

God mightily and abundantly bless your tremendously tender, loving, and wonderful heart in the healing, gracious, and saving name of our living lord and saviour Christ Jesus.

I agree. Too much fluff made it seem a lot less genuine. I remember feeling less than adequate when I didn't have extra verbage to add to a teaching or a prayer. Gee whiz! What happned to God looking upon your heart? Simple doesn't mean stupid, but there was definitely a "show" in TWI functions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the best!

If you hear it too many times, it starts to sound fake. VPW said it all the freakin time! How did he know I was the best? He knew nothing about me.

Then there's the, uh, colorful version of that: "You're the breast. Rub you!"

Chas,

Anytime you feel a head spinning coming on, just look at this so you can LYAO:

Go to the video called "Christians don't dance"

I have to add that I'm not making fun of the performers on the video. They are talented (and decent people from what I know from working with them at HQ). It's just damn funny what TWI (aka Rozilla) demands of the choir and Way Prod and calls it entertaining. They should change the outfits for these poor people.

I can't watch that every again. I want to bleach my brain and lysol my eyeballs after the first viewing of that horrid video....

I always thought it was funny to see how many elaborative (and synonymic) descriptors could be placed into the standard Way greeting. . . example:

God mightily and abundantly bless your tremendously tender, loving, and wonderful heart in the healing, gracious, and saving name of our living lord and saviour Christ Jesus.

I think that this is an extension of the concept of "expanded literal translation according to usage." (See my previous post, re: charity!)

Since others have already mentioned HoHo and Happy Hearts Day, let's not forget "Bless and Treat." <_<

George

I have to admit I like the idea of Advance over Retreat. What is interesting is that when I left I found that many non-TWI understood the concept without elaberating on it. As to the idea of HO-H0 verse Christmas. I have to agree, it seems double minded. If you are going to celebrate it call it what it is or don't celebrate it. Have the same problems with some of the church changing Halloween to "fall festival" or some such name. Celbrated or don't.

I have to admit I like the idea of Advance over Retreat. What is interesting is that when I left I found that many non-TWI understood the concept without elaberating on it. As to the idea of HO-H0 verse Christmas. I have to agree, it seems double minded. If you are going to celebrate it call it what it is or don't celebrate it. Have the same problems with some of the church changing Halloween to "fall festival" or some such name. Celbrated or don't.

Well, then you will love what TWI did to halloween - Bless and Treat

oops, I see this was posted above - sorry.

Calling exercise CP3 (in reference to way corps principle 3)

Edited by OldSkool

I think that this is an extension of the concept of "expanded literal translation according to usage."

<_<

George

On the "Research" team, I used to help write those "literal translations according to usage." Did we think about the fact that a process like that actually contradicted VP's idea that the Word "meant what it said and said what it meant, the order of the words must be perfect...etc.?

We were making ANOTHER TRANSLATION to throw on the pile of a hundred ones already out there.

Okay, I'll pipe down now. Sister Margaret Mary always said I talked too much.

Edited by penworks

Aw my 3 year old son always comes up to me and says "Mom, you're the best!" thanks God he is a GS baby and not 1 who grew up in the ministry because some days it's what gets me through the day.

Awww! That's so cute! 3-year-old sons are an exception. If you haven't already done so, you might consider getting that on tape. You may want it for evidence for when he becomes a teenager.

I'm joking, of course. Well, sort of. Anyway, may you have all the blessings of having a delightful child!

Let's not forget, "Jot and Tittle" and "Needs and Wants Parallel". Of course someone who wasn't interested in taking the PFAL class was a "GOAT". Then there were "Public Explainations" fondly called Public X. The reason we neeed those were to convince people that they needed the PFAL class.

On the "Research" team, I used to help write those "literal translations according to usage." Did we think about the fact that a process like that actually contradicted VP's idea that the Word "meant what it said and said what it meant, the order of the words must be perfect...etc.?

We were making ANOTHER TRANSLATION to throw on the pile of a hundred ones already out there.

Okay, I'll pipe down now. Sister Margaret Mary always said I talked too much.

That's a keen observation Penworks!

And I'm glad you are courageous enough to keep talking here. All I've got to say about my days as the class clown is – you ain't been slapped until you've been slapped by a nun! .. . uhm .. . we don't have any nuns here do we? :unsure:

That's a keen observation Penworks!

And I'm glad you are courageous enough to keep talking here. All I've got to say about my days as the class clown is – you ain't been slapped until you've been slapped by a nun! .. . uhm .. . we don't have any nuns here do we? :unsure:

:wave: Does it count if I wanted to be a nun when I grew up???? :who_me:

Guess it is one of the few things twi actually did for me-----

I was always irked by the phrase..."it's not best"

It was a twi leader's catch phrase to let you know that his/her idea was better than yours. No matter how logical your decision might have been, you were were trumped by being told that "it was not best"...which actually meant that your decision was not God's "primary will"...it was yet another catch 22 phrase...

I was always irked by the phrase..."it's not best"

It was a twi leader's catch phrase to let you know that his/her idea was better than yours. No matter how logical your decision might have been, you were were trumped by being told that "it was not best"...which actually meant that your decision was not God's "primary will"...it was yet another catch 22 phrase...

The one or 2 times that was said to me I asked them how the heck they knew an action was or wasn't God's "primary will".

The one or 2 times that was said to me I asked them how the heck they knew an action was or wasn't God's "primary will".

Does God have more than one will? How can we trust that God's Word is God's Will if God has more than one will? And where did He hide His other will? And are there codicils to His other will?

Anyways, the one that bugged me the most was "How would you like to get blessed?" We had this gung-ho 6th WC grad BL when Mr. Garden was in college who moved herself in with us and when I came home from work, exhausted, it seems she always asked me this question. I fell for it once or twice, and then snapped right back: "I'm already blessed. What favor did you want me to do for you?" Stopped her in her tracks.

I always just thought that was so dishonest; just ask me for a favor, but don't give me this BS question, especially not when I just got home. I will be blessed when I can sit down, kick my shoes off, and drink a fresh cup of coffee.

WG

"How would you like to get blessed?" We had this gung-ho 6th WC grad BL when Mr. Garden was in college who moved herself in with us and when I came home from work, exhausted, it seems she always asked me this question...

Your reply:

"Gosh, that's wonderful of you. I will be blessed when I can sit down, kick my shoes off, and drink a fresh cup of coffee. And you got my favorite blend of coffee! And you put my favorite cushion on the couch!! And, aw, that's so good of you - you cleaned the house all through!!!"

I took 4 years of French in high school and never used it since. Every once and awhile something will trigger a memory of a word or phrase from one of our French dialog booklets.. .But you know what's great about this thread? Youse guys have a lot of "TWILanguage" [has a nice ring to it - dontcha think] all in one spot – now I don't have to wait on random triggers! Lordy Pete – I'm just blessed beyond belief.

The word "available" gives me the creeps...so entirely (over and) missused.

Poor "bless" and all its derivities...a greatly maligned word - in wayworld, it mutated and degenerated into a versatile catch-all word, not unlike f**k.

"Well, bless your little heart," read "you yutz, where's your brain?"

"Wanna get blessed? You got a cigarette?" - lololol...that's a blast from the past.

I wonder if achoo ever had any problems in the wacky world of semantics...perhaps I will share what's on my heart with the household remnant...

Well fathergod I jus wanna thank you fathergod for really blessing our food and taking all the poison out of it, fathergod bless us really for making it available, fg, for us to bless ourselves as our needs are parallel with our wants and we are, fg, in fellowship with the mogship...

Does God have more than one will? How can we trust that God's Word is God's Will if God has more than one will? And where did He hide His other will? And are there codicils to His other will?

Anyways, the one that bugged me the most was "How would you like to get blessed?" We had this gung-ho 6th WC grad BL when Mr. Garden was in college who moved herself in with us and when I came home from work, exhausted, it seems she always asked me this question. I fell for it once or twice, and then snapped right back: "I'm already blessed. What favor did you want me to do for you?" Stopped her in her tracks.

I always just thought that was so dishonest; just ask me for a favor, but don't give me this BS question, especially not when I just got home. I will be blessed when I can sit down, kick my shoes off, and drink a fresh cup of coffee.

WG

Speaking of "Bless your heart" a whole bunch of heartisms just flooded my heart – as vp would say "it blew my heart out"

Tonto shared this on another thread a long time ago – her and our WOW coordinator came up with a great poster for – I believe it was a big meeting for the America Awakes tour. Well, we couldn't use the poster because of the "little twist" it had – but there it hung like a diamond in our sparsely furnished WOW home: "Bless your frig gin' heart" – to this day I will often recall that poster when I think of the sappy "Bless your heart" phrase. . . Also from the America Awakes tour - Joyful Noise had a song about "opening your heart".

There's the humble "share my heart with you".. . Whether you're making decisions or doing a self-check on things you're "cognizant of" [oh yeah another favorite phrase of vp] – it all happens in your "heart of hearts".

I remember in my first Advanced Class vp "sharing his heart" on how God taught him discerning of spirits – claiming God would show him a black heart or a white heart inside the person. Which reminds me of another "electrifying" parlor trick - amaze your friends and confuse the offended party - please note, the "best" application of this trick is when it's used in defense of someone's wrong deed or bad behavior – "yeah, but he's got a good heart".

Aw people, ya gotta have heart!

~~

Out of all the TWI euphemisms, I think this one is my "favorite". The "wanna get blessed" got to be such a joke in our coffee house band we'd push it to the sarcastic & ridiculous level among ourselves. Jack the drummer trying to get me to pack up his drum set for him would ask "wanna get blessed". I'd say "you're too late – already blessed Ephesians 1:3". We'd even work up novel ways of mooching off each other. Wanting to bum a cigarette off Jack, I'd say "Hey, if you want I'll let you offer me a cigarette."

~~

If you want, I'll let you get real blessed by allowing me to share my heart of hearts on TWI's abuse of hearts ["I trust" you are "cognizant of" the twofold meaning in the latter part of my statement]. <_<

I remember in my first Advanced Class vp "sharing his heart" on how God taught him discerning of spirits – claiming God would show him a black heart or a white heart inside the person.

Yeah, I remember that. Then, once back home, people would go to the mall and practice trying to see what kind of "heart" passers-by had. It's another one of those things that simply can't be proven true or false. There's no way to know what he "saw". Was he making that stuff up, did he borrow it from someone else, was he delusional or all of the above?

'nuff fer now. Just thought that would tickle your earballs.