GreaseSpot Cafe

An illusion of leadership

skyrider

With trial and error, wierwille eventually managed to patch together an organization via "The Way Tree."

Although Johnnie T. stepped forward to teach this tree-concept in a class that was a prerequisite of the

advanced class......'way tree' terminology was being phased out by 1983/84. With a lifespan of 9 or 10

years, how solid was this 'biblical research ministry?'

Remember......A Leaf on a Mighty Tree? Chapter and verse, please.

Remember......Twigs, Branches, Limbs? Chapter and verse, please.

The Way Tree was....An illusion of leadership.

The Way Corps was...An illusion of leadership.

The Way International is Structured Followship.....do this, do that, sing here, sit there. Everything from

signing the registration card is conditioning one to follow their instructions. Every class, every twig,

every event.....is a series of repetitive motions. By design.

They pawn their services as 'spiritual leadership'......and yet, its cookie-cutter conformity!! The leader

above them parrots instructions that the leader above him parrots, etc. etc. Obeying leadership is the Rubicon

of twi lore.....the alpha and the omega. Everything depends on it. Everything falls apart without it. You

can't question it. You can't analyze it. You must simply accept it.....because it is.

Classes, meetings, events.....and the organization marches on. No time for worship services, just the quick

manies (manifestations) to 'hear from God' and get to the repetitive teaching, the main event. Activity has

replaced accomplishment and few ever seem to notice the rut. Many have marched along this path for so long

that they're mesmerized by the sound of the marching.....thinking they've marched across the continent.

But hey.....even wierwille was an illusion unto himself. He "wished" he were the man he just knew he could be

if he lived up to the scriptures.

• Upvote 1

waysider......that clip reminds me of the time when all the inresidence corps

in Emporia were instructed to 'hoof-it' about 4 miles to that gun-safety course

in the outskirts of town. I don't think that we whistled that song, though.

We had a similar walk out to probably the same place ... worked in the woods that day, clearing brush and so on ... it was actually fun to be outdoors in the fall, had a neat cookout, and walked back ... seemed like maybe that weekend was the separate Men's and Women's Advances, which were NOT so much fun. By the time I came along (13th Corps), they were not offering the Gun Safety Course.

We had a similar walk out to probably the same place ... worked in the woods that day, clearing brush and so on ... it was actually fun to be outdoors in the fall, had a neat cookout, and walked back ...

DogLover.....yeah, probably the same place. I, too, liked being outdoors, but mostly it stands juxtaposed

to TWI'S CLASSROOM INDOCTRINATION.

For me, having grown up in rural America......hunting pheasants, riding motorcycles, farm work, sports and

games, being outside was a given, not a treat! Just seemed like twi used "work days" like this, to score a

'likeable moment in corps training.' I will forever view the corps program as INDOCTRINATION WHOLESALE.

The corps coordinators incrementally lulled us into accepting the wierwille-worship.

I'm quite sure this post sounds quite harsh.......but I can't sugarcoat twi's evil. Gee, they "let us out

of class so we could work for 3 hours!"....how wonderful. Isn't that a technique used by captors?

• Upvote 1

I wonder if un-mucking the vicster's pond was engineered to be a "likeable event" as well..

:biglaugh:

but anyway.. the Illusion of leadership seemed to exist on so many levels..

how many *leadership* blew the whistle on the sexcapades, rape, adultery.. unclean behavior and the like, before they HAD TO or were forced to?

just seems to me, a leader's prime duty would be to protect those around him/her/it.

maybe they had the illusion, that an ORGANIZATION held more importance than the people it encompassed..

Edited by Ham
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if un-mucking the vicster's pond was engineered to be a "likeable event" as well..

but anyway.. the Illusion of leadership seemed to exist on so many levels..

how many *leadership* blew the whistle on the sexcapades, rape, adultery.. unclean behavior and the like, before they HAD TO or were forced to?

just seems to me, a leader's prime duty would be to protect those around him/her/it.

maybe they had the illusion, that an ORGANIZATION held more importance than the people it encompassed..

What twi pawned off as "leadership" was...........GROOMING.

Twi groomed the inner-circle for years, decades for some......elite privileges, insider info,

'spiritually-mature classified knowledge,' bribes, babes, booze, free-passes, ego-stroking, etc.

Titillating temptations are dangled in front of them, and few resist.

Birds of a feather flock together.....and narcissists groom other narcissists, bullies groom bullies,

and round and round it goes. That's why evil waxes worse and worse. Once one gives in on standards and

principles, especially the biblical/moral values.....it spirals downward from there.

And....from what we've learned about wierwille, he didn't start on very high ground to begin with.

... worked in the woods that day, clearing brush and so on ...

And, speaking of work....

When wierwille addressed our corps and said NONE of you ever learned how to work......he was WRONG!

There was not one thing in the corps training that I hadn't learned regarding work, not one!

My brothers and I were up at 5:30am and headed to the field to move irrigation pipe before school.

In the summer, I started driving tractors at 10 years old and the combine one year later. With wheat,

corn, milo, alfalfa, beans, cattle, and sheep......farm life was quite a childhood.

The corps work program was a joke!

• Upvote 1

And, this stuff came from a guy who (documented in The Way: Living in Love) was known to hide in the woods so he could shirk his childhood chores.

Yeah......and the smell of hypocrisy and pride was undeniable.

Even while inresidence corps, I made a vow to God that I never wanted to be like wierwille.

Although not wanting to fully admit it, I knew deep down that vpw was simply a smooth-operator,

to charm and entice. Like a chameleon, he was always changing with the situation around him.

He loved to bask in the spotlight and soak in the praise.

Everything at hq showed me that twi was just another religion.

quote:

Exodus chapter 18, entire chapter. It's just delegation of responsibility regardless of terminology.

So.....the Old Testament is the defining symbolism of wierwille's "new, dynamic church?"

That's rich..!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

quote:

Exodus chapter 18, entire chapter. It's just delegation of responsibility regardless of terminology.

Where's that administrations stuff when you really need it?

quote:

This was NOT taught in pfal.....nor in the Way Tree class. Most remember how the book of Acts

was considered 'the blueprint for delegation and moving the word.'

Interestingly, wierwille pawns off his 'way tree' setup for his ministry that is UNBIBLICAL.

Of course, he couldn't utilize the scriptures and teach the One Body with CHRIST AS THE HEAD with

members in particular, on relatively equal basis of importance and subservient to the Head.

Nope, wierwille does the regular cherry-picking of scriptures, and in this case he uses out-an-out

deception to indoctrinate and coerce his followers. Yeah, wierwille uses lip service to grandstand

his 'mastery of the word' and then subverts its meaning.

He did give lip-service to the One Body......but the driving imagery and subsequent class

was The Way Tree setup. Yeah, that's the kool-aide mentality on the road to the advanced class.

Twi uses an oak tree for its logo.

A tree.

In scripture, a tree could illustrate good OR evil.

In scripture, a tree could represent growth OR barren.

The fig tree dried up from the roots.

The tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Etc.

Edited by skyrider

Wierwille never trained people to be real leaders. He trained people to be "yes-men", and to browbeat others into becoming "yes-men".

That's why it all fell apart after Wierwille died.

According to Petty Officer 3&2, the training manual the Navy was using when I first began to assume the responsibilities of leadership, the three requirements for a good leader were these, in order of priority: 1. Good moral character, 2. Leading by personal example and 3. Administrative ability.

TWI leadership training failed in the first two priorities because Wierwille failed in the first two priorities.

In the aftermath of The Passing of A Patriarch, I realized Martindale didn't have the leadership skills necessary to lead a bunch of lemmings over a cliff!

Love,

Steve

• Upvote 1

And, speaking of work....

When wierwille addressed our corps and said NONE of you ever learned how to work......he was WRONG!

There was not one thing in the corps training that I hadn't learned regarding work, not one!

My brothers and I were up at 5:30am and headed to the field to move irrigation pipe before school.

In the summer, I started driving tractors at 10 years old and the combine one year later. With wheat,

corn, milo, alfalfa, beans, cattle, and sheep......farm life was quite a childhood.

The corps work program was a joke!

twi THEMSELVES documented that vpw, as he grew up, REGULARLY vanished when it was time

to do his chores and work on the farm. (Seems that whenever he wasn't being watched,

he never did what he CLAIMED to do, and had to be watched to be trusted to do ANYTHING.)

When he discussed the idea of going into Christian ministry, his own father flatly claimed

that was a bad choice because he'd never even put in the effort for something as straightforward

as farming. (AS DOCUMENTED BY TWI.) His own brother documented vpw would vanish for hours-

then claimed that when Harry himself was unable to see him, vpw was "preaching to the trees"-

which was something Billy Graham did. But vpw himself told the corps he was never full of deep

spiritual conviction when he was growing up- he was unsure whether to choose business, music,

or preaching, according to him. He also was ready, more than once, to give up on ministry,

as documented by twi, within his first few years of preaching. Also, he himself (as documented

by twi) admitted that his entire decision to be a preacher and his time in school to prepare

for that, and his entire first year of preaching, HE DID NOT BELIEVE THE BIBLE WAS THE WORD

OF GOD. So, it's plainly obvious that Harry's COVERUP was a lie. vpw ran and hid when it

was time to do chores, and he was a lazy farmer.

As documented by twi, he REGULARLY claimed that all the kids arriving in twi didn't know how

to work. That included "kids" who had already served tours of duty in the US Military.

That should raise a few eyebrows- the military puts people to work. By the time any of them

had completed Boot Camp, they'd worked harder than vpw had ever worked on the farm.

But vpw always claimed they didn't know how to work and he did- which was 2 lies.

However, it gave him the opening, the excuse, to put them to work on the farms, for which

they PAID for the privilege of doing manual labor. As we can see from this thread, some of

the non-military already had practice at working harder on a farm than vpw did.

I also think it's cute that vpw was smart enough to occasionally be seen publicly to do some

work on the farm. That may have been a show or a few minutes of work, but it went a long way

to help cover up his laziness and lies. There's still people who refuse to admit vpw was a

lazy bum of a farmer who hypocritically accused others of what he himself did.

Even when it was completely false when applied to them.

I also think it's cute that vpw was smart enough to occasionally be seen publicly to do some

work on the farm. That may have been a show or a few minutes of work, but it went a long way

to help cover up his laziness and lies.

See, some of this is new to me. I came along in the mid nineties and didn't make it to HQ till the start of the new millennium. Wierwille was lauded as the hardest working man of God on two legs. And in-residence? OMG - we all NEEDED to learn to work, even though I spent years in the construction fields busting my hump (example - used to spend weeks in my early twenties running a 90 pound jack hammer all day.) We were constantly told how hard Wierwille worked and how diligent he studied and how little sleep he got and how he was there to meet the needs of the people at all hours. I kid you not. Figures, just when you think most of the lies regarding this man have been found out along comes another bomb shell.

vpw ... he was a lazy farmer.

...vpw was smart enough to occasionally be seen publicly to do some work on the farm. That may have been a show or a few minutes of work, but it went a long way to help cover up his laziness and lies.

Couldn't say as I never met the man.

I don't think I can agree with you that he was a lazy farmer.

He appears to me to be a very good farmer.

He farmed mugs and was very successful. He's built up a huge fortune from growing mugs; the bulk of the fortune still exists. He kept back some of the mug seed, planted again, refined the strain and got better and better and again got good yields. In fact, the seed from the mugs continues to be fairly successful and has been planted in other fertile ground and has brought forth many other crops and strains of mugs.

:P

See, some of this is new to me. I came along in the mid nineties and didn't make it to HQ till the start of the new millennium. Wierwille was lauded as the hardest working man of God on two legs. And in-residence? OMG - we all NEEDED to learn to work, even though I spent years in the construction fields busting my hump (example - used to spend weeks in my early twenties running a 90 pound jack hammer all day.) We were constantly told how hard Wierwille worked and how diligent he studied and how little sleep he got and how he was there to meet the needs of the people at all hours. I kid you not. Figures, just when you think most of the lies regarding this man have been found out along comes another bomb shell.

OldSkool......for what its worth, after exiting twi I believe most all find themselves in transition to distinguish

wierwille-reality from the wierwille-mythical. The subculture of twi hierarchy had self-serving interests to magnifying

wierwille's background and image. It's quite easy to uncover the deception for those who are motivated to see how the

manipulation was manufactured.

Like all things.....it ain't nothing new. And, I tend to see it as a cultlike folklore....or fakelore. Twi magnifies

the absurd and wants to exaggerate to increase committed followers.

Click Here --- Folklore

Click Here --- Fakelore

yeah, despite attending college and seminary, Wierwille had no background in setting up TWC as a theological seminary/divinity school, instead he conned people thinking WC was more Peace Corps but was Marine Corps/military boot camp(which if a Sgt. or officer physically beats/batters a private, said personnel can be tried by a military tribunal court and/or criminal court, be sent to prison and loose all priviledges). But VPW, CG, and LCM had no authorities above them to reprimand them. Even all the military oppose that strict group think, at least officially(Congress, the President, and the Supreme Court can outlaw such groups if they become a meance to society).

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

I recommend you read through the 2 "wonderland" threads,

"the way:living in wonderland" and "vp and me in wonderland".

Sounds like there's a lot on both threads you haven't heard yet.

just thought of this song from Bye, bye Birdie(musical parody of Elvis Pressly) with change of words" O Victor Paul, we love you :biglaugh:

yeah, despite attending college and seminary, Wierwille had no background in setting up TWC as a theological seminary/divinity school, instead he conned people thinking WC was more Peace Corps but was Marine Corps/military boot camp(which if a Sgt. or officer physically beats/batters a private, said personnel can be tried by a military tribunal court and/or criminal court, be sent to prison and loose all privileges). But VPW, CG, and LCM had no authorities above them to reprimand them. Even all the military oppose that strict group think, at least officially(Congress, the President, and the Supreme Court can outlaw such groups if they become a menace to society).

Ok, let's review.

vpw originally went to school and eventually narrowed his possible career choices down to 3: business, music, ministry,

eventually selecting ministry. (By his own admission, he did not believe the Bible was The Word of God at the time.)

He went to college, and then to Princeton Theological Seminary for his Masters. (That's a respectable seminary

that has no connection to Princeton University other than location in Princeton NJ- but to hear lcm say it in public,

vpw went to Princeton-with the implication it was the University and not the Seminary.) vpw's area of study was

never what he later set himself forth as an authority on- it was HOMILETICS, or PREACHING. He did not focus on

Bible languages, history, or any other subject which requires real study time- despite his later claims of making

his life about Bible study. His major was "writing sermons and preaching them." He completed his education at

an unaccredited organization- Pike's Peak Seminary, which was a LOT easier than trying to graduate with a PhD from,

say, Princeton Theological Seminary. He then began preaching- still while not believing the Bible was The Word

of God, according to vpw.

His claims to being a "remarkable" student begin and end with him playing on the basketball team in high school,

and vague comments meant to be interpreted that he was on the college team and playing for the Sheboygan

Redskins professional team (he neither was on his college's varsity team nor a member of the Sheboygan Redskins.)

He was never-ACADEMICALLY- a noteworthy student. Why is this relevant now? Very simple.

vpw made claims about "leadership programs" like the WOW program and the Corps. However, vpw was COMPLETELY

UNQUALIFIED to run such a program, let alone set one up. Look at both programs- they are grossly inadequate

and very vague. Supervising of them was sporadic and arbitrary, and no CLEAR, CONSISTENT guidelines were ever

presented for candidates to either- nor was there even a "vetting" program for either. vpw had never

PARTICIPATED in any leadership training program, and had no military training either- not even ROTC.

So, what did he base the programs on? His vague notions about such things from popular movies. He claimed

to base the Corps on the military at one point- but had no idea how things were there at all. He also claimed

the WOW program was a relevant, local type of missionary work (that was the selling point)- but he had no idea

how THAT worked, either. He used vague notions of both, added his desire to be worshipped, and made the only

"vetting" process "YOU CAN STAY AS LONG AS YOUR MONEY HOLDS" as to whether someone was a viable candidate-

and rounded it out with getting free labor from the students- who PAID FOR THE PRIVILIGE of doing manual labor.

He made various claims, none of which bear any scrutiny-

-this is like what Paul did in Acts

-this is based on the military

-this is a leadership training program

-you can't find better than this in the world

etc, etc.

The only "professional" part-unless you count the exercise- was when vpw added DALE CARNEGIE SALES CLASSES

to the mix. Not training on counseling, not training on management- training in SALES. vpw didn't CARE

about how the people were managed, if they ever needed counseling, etc. He wanted the Corps to be effective

SALESPEOPLE for twi.

Small wonder the Corps program caused lots of problems, released untrained "leaders" who wrecked things,

and brought in a tidy profit for twi.

Yes, some good people came out of the Corps as well- I hold that to be because they were good people going

in and the program was unable to wreck that. In other cases, it WAS able, and in others, people unfit for

candidacy had their money so they completed and were assigned places to wreck.

Edited by WordWolf

He wanted the Corps to be effective SALESPEOPLE for twi.

The corps program was designed to groom effective CLASS INSTRUCTORS........period.

Witnessing, undershepherding, registering, bookstore display setup, class room setup, monitoring class,

report back, send in abs, run twig with goal to split twig...........repeat process ad infinitum.

Johnnie T. was wierwille's prototype model.

Johnnie T. was one of vp's first class instructors.

Johnnie T. taught The Way Tree indoctrination.

Johnnie T. was known to cry when talking about wierwille.