GreaseSpot Cafe

Did LCM Plagiarize?

JustThinking

The topic of LCM's gap in the north (in the "...junk science" thread) jogged my memory about something else he taught in his class:

He said (if I remember correctly) that his teaching the purpose of the Sphinx was the first time it was being shared anywhere. If you go to page 20 in Bullinger's Witness of the Stars, guess what you'll find? "The Riddle of the Sphinx!"

I showed it to my FC the next day and he couldn't get out of there fast enough! Does anyone still have a syllabus? Did they actually write down that comment? Or does anyone remember that statement?

Wow, JT -

that's a whole new can of worms I haven't heard raised here before in regard to LCM.

But then again, I don't think we've encountered thus far even one apologist on LCM's behalf, in the same degree as VPW.

At least yet (lol)!

Given the recent, illustrious mutations of Way theology, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two LCM apologists turns up soon.

Surely there must be even one who believes VPW made no mistake when he passed his angel(s) onto LCM, making LCM the new revelation king.

Perhaps they haven't been thrown out of the Way yet.

Danny

Anything that Loy introduced could never have been plagiarized. Who else in the world would have said that crap in the first place? At least most of docvic's junk had a semblance of logic and substance to it if you didn't look too hard.

When I left, the word from our local corpse was that everything Loy taught was accurate. It was just the heart behind it that was lacking. They said the new classes will not refute any of his BS. At least it helped me make my decision.

But no, I think his spew was ~ for lack of a better word ~ original. And I don't think he claimed that he originated the Sphinx nonsense. In fact, I think I recall him using the illustration from Bullinger's book at a STS or in a class ~ or something I was sleeping through.

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

[This message was edited by Flay Minion on February 12, 2004 at 20:59.]

Only class I ever took taught by lcm, was that Rise and Expansion thing he taught about Acts.

But I wouldn't put it past him to use someone else's work, then take credit for it.

But he certainly can't take "authorship" credit for all the vulgar language he uses, so maybe he doesn't plagarize --- since the vulgarity is usually the main bulk of his "teaching" icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

• 6 years later...

The gap theory of creation has been around a long time and is promoted by many people. Derek Prince, an early charismatic/pentecostal teacher promoted it. That's the kind of source VP could have picked up on his tour of the early charismatic circuit (of which JE Stiles was a part) and passed on to LC. Or LC could have found it elsewhere. I'm sure LC didn't come up with that on his own.

LCM did not promote himself to the degree VP did-- as one who dumped all of man's teachings and heard from God alone, word for word. In that sense, there wasn't a need to prove plagiarism on LC's part as there was to show plagiarism on VP's part. LC's claim to fame was that he bought VP's line, word for word.

LC also didn't promote himself as an author. What is there- one book to his name? Plagiarism is more an author's failing than a speaker's failing. A speaker like VP could plagiarize as he spoke (VP did this during PFAL). But plagiarism is most easily tracable when an author sits down with someone else's book at his side and copies what he reads into his "own" book, as VP did with many of "his" books. LC didn't write enough to plagiarize much. For the most part, he didn't pretend to be an author of books. Instead, he pretended to be a dancer.

That said, I'll add that people (Like C Geer) did plagiarize when they wrote syllabuses. But it seems LC even let others write his syllabuses for him.

Rise and Expansion... :(

LCM used to say that authors shouldn't write until they had something worth saying; a lot of books were written because of the ego of the authors. This was his reason for not writing anything before R&E. (He seems to have forgotten at the time the number of books published under VPW's name. Or perhaps he thought he didn't know as much as VPW.) But R&E was important now as we moved into the Decade of the Whatever Word (I dunno the sequence of the "Decades" now, nor do I care to try to remember.)

Interesting that he should write R&E right after a mass exodus of people after the Loy-alty letter. A sort of oxymoron, perhaps.

Also, with the internet being more widely accessible, it would be easier to spot plagiarism and he had enough other litigatable things that needed to be covered up, without covering up any plagiarism.

LC also didn't promote himself as an author. What is there- one book to his name? Plagiarism is more an author's failing than a speaker's failing. A speaker like VP could plagiarize as he spoke (VP did this during PFAL). But plagiarism is most easily tracable when an author sits down with someone else's book at his side and copies what he reads into his "own" book, as VP did with many of "his" books. LC didn't write enough to plagiarize much. For the most part, he didn't pretend to be an author of books.

iInstead, he pretended to be a dancer.

That said, I'll add that people (Like C Geer) did plagiarize when they wrote syllabuses. But it seems LC even let others write his syllabuses for him.

It's not without irony that he plagiarized THAT.

"Athletes of the Spirit: the Spiritual Competition" was ripped off

from "Satan's Alley", the show within the movie of John Travolta's "Staying Alive".

(The sequel to "Saturday Night Fever.")

And the phrase "athlete of the spirit" was used by the Fellowship of Christian

Athletes, and organization l craig martindale was well aware of when he was in college.

I think a big limited to lcm's plagiarism was that he lacked the exposure to other

materials and scholarship to find less-famous Christians to rip off.

That's why his ripped-off stuff is largely mangled sports metaphors and catchphrases

like "go 'til you hear glass break."

Rise and Expansion was a horrible read. It was really classic LCM - disjointed and all over the road. As for plagiarizing, it would seem he did just that. I remember the Sphinx teaching/bit he did and I believe he did claim that was new. I didn't realize that it's in Bullinger. I wonder if it's been removed from the new class that Rosie put together. Martindale has pretty much been erased from the annals of TWI as much as possible.