GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI and Moving

Hope R.

To those of you who were in TWI for more than 5 years - how many times did you move to another area? That incudes going WOW, Corps (including interim year), or just going to another area of "concern, interest and need". This doesn't include moving from one house to another in the same town. If you were in-rez - and were relocated from one campus to another - don't include that either. Thanks!

It's hard to do a poll like this because some of us were in for more years than others. If you could answer the poll and then post the number of years you were in and how many times you moved, it would be appreciated.

I was in for 29 years and moved 11 times. This does include going from Emporia then to Arkansas for my interim year and then back to Emporia again.

I can't remember all the physical moves I made - going from campus to campus, Way Home to Way Home, etc. Musta blocked it all out.

I was in from 74 to 88. Its so hard to remember, I was in for 14 years and I beleive I moved 13 to 14 times going out wow 3 times, corps and moving to different areas to 'start over' whatever that means... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Yeah, Alfie - - I didn't count all the in-city moves either.

Although one of my favorite in-city moves was into the house with your seestors before they went in residence. icon_smile.gif:)-->

What a fun year THAT was! (I still cannot believe they loved CANNED tamales - - even after I tried to introduce them to the real thing) icon_wink.gif;)-->

J.

I moved six times in six years... the shortest time being shifted for three months to another campus during corps training, the longest being almost two years. (I was between twi programs!)

Once we got assigned as corps we got dropped before we could get moved again, so it's been many, many years in one spot for me. And that's a BIG, BIG deal... when you are allowed to put down roots, you gain a greater sense of place and of self. No wonder they moved us around so much.

In from 75-88.

Moved 14 times, including 1 wow year, annual ''shuffling' in an area, migrating to other states twicw, and twice getting thrown out of homes.

Funny, I went from being ejected from a 'way home' one year, to running a way home 2 years later. I can assure you I had not become any more spritual. I did learn how to watch what I said among the fearless leaders.

Finally bought a place in '94. Haven't moved once. Unless I decide otherwise, I'm rooted and grounded here.

I hate the way.

Highway - that brings up another question...

How many people ended up settling in the area they were sent to by TWI - even after you weren't involved anymore?

Hard for me to answer, because the last time I was "assigned" anywhere, we were allowed the privilege of picking where it was we wanted to go. I moved to W. Palm Beach in 1980 to "open the area" with some friends - met John then moved to Tampa in 1981 and have been here since. We were never asked to move or take another assignment until the mid 90's. We said no and were dropped from the Corps.

11 times, not counting within the same city, all the times they moved us around at Emporia etc.

After marriage, hubby and I stayed in same apt complex 16 years!..I had had it. First two of that we were still in TWI but I was learning how to drag my heels.

Once again I realize I was a bad little Wayfer.

I was in from '72 to '89. I never moved until I went into the Family Corps in '78, then I moved five times in 11 years (between 78 and 89):

1. To Indiana Campus '78

2. Interim year '79

3. Back in rez '80

4. assigned to a "twig area" at graduation '81

5. to HQ staff '82

I don't count the move I made in '86 when I quit staff and moved where I darn well pleased. I'm still there. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hope... good question... I settled where they deposited me, and stayed even after I got out of twi. I like it here, but have no family, old friends, etc. nearby. I certainly would have moved if not for the fact that this is HOME to my kid... my leaving twi wasn't enough reason to uproot him.

Jeez Oldiesman , I might know you. I was in the Bronx in then 70s. Boglioli, Vuto, JAL era. As For Me ANd The Bronx We Shall Seve The Lord. Stilll have that shirt somewhere. Also was in Spanish Twig with The Valez's.

Anyway I went to 20 schools from K-12. About 2 scools per year. This did wonders for my social life. I was ALWAYS the new kid. Keep in mind I was in Rome City for two years. I went WOW four times, lived in four non WOW Way homes and was relocated during one WOW year.

Fun.